• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

MIMIC said:
Out of all of the games on Legendary, I remember THIS shit the most. lol

God damn.
I just bypassed the motherfuckers. If Bungie can cheat in making them, I can cheat in bypassing them. There was the occasional one-off that actually required killing, though. :(

Yeah, Reach's Legendary mode was quite unfair, too. It became easier near the end (for me, at least) because you gave up all hope and just started abusing the Noob combo. The difficulty reminded me way too much of Halo 2's Legendary, which, sadly, also sucked.

Greatest Legendary campaign is Halo 3, I think. I actually managed to make it through 'Cortana' by dying only twice: I felt so 1337.

Gandie

My account finally got approved. I remember joining in April 2010, mostly because of the Reach Reveal Thread. More than once I wanted to join the discussion but couldn't. I even played with some of you during the beta and the first weeks after launch. So here I am, please be nice to the poor Junior.

Plywood said:
Tempest isn't really a good BTB or 4v4 map, I think it's a great 6v6 map though.
I really wish they would just open up that back area for BTB, the map is so much bigger than what we see in Matchmaking. My only other main issue with the map are the bad spawns (what else is new). Why am I or my opponents respawning in our opposite bases?

I know Reach is still pulling good numbers, but it doesn't feel like it is.

I'm part of a UK based gaming group and we all met and have played together since Halo 2, which we loved dearly.

We all loved Halo 3 just as much. But Reach, aside from a few of us (including myself) has been thoroughly abandoned. The bloom, the vehicles, AA...it just isn't Halo anymore to a lot of them. Plus some crazy choices in the custom settings meant it killed a lot of our gametypes.

I have high hopes for the classic playlist, but I don't think it will ever be enough to bring people back.

Roll on 343i's attempt I guess.

blink348 said:
Reach Legendary was pretty damn unbalanced, yeah.
Jackal shields :mad:
Wraiths :mad:
HUNTERS :mad: :mad:

Reach's legendary is too easy.

Jackal shields? The shield has a hole on one side that says "shoot here!!"

Wraits? Which one gives you headaches? The ones that you can't take out from far away can be "assaulted" from above with a jetpack (end of Exodus).

Hunters? Never found those fights unfair if you move well and use the hologram. You can even skip two hunters jumping through a window...

About the "big 3": I like bloom, without it, all would be reduced to spam the dmr/magnum, which I don't like. The melee system is something I don't care that much, either Reach's system or Halo 3's one is fine. Armor lock is the worst, just remove frosting and the free 3rd person camera and would be much more balanced.

TheOddOne

Posted?

343 plays down Saber-made Halo HD rumours
Microsoft's internal Halo studio, 343 Industries, has seemingly doused water on suggestions that the long-rumoured Halo: Combat Evolved remake is being developed externally.

According to recent reports, the rumoured Combat Evolved HD - which is said to feature 1080p art assets and online co-op - isn't being touched up by 343, but rather by Timeshift dev Saber Interactive.

But according to creative director Frank O'Connor, 343 would only work with an external developer for "mini-collaborations", such as the upcoming Defiant map pack, which is co-developed by Certain Affinity.

O'Conner told CVG in San Francisco last week: "343 as a publishing entity and Bungie before it is always open to collaboration. We've done weird things in the past like we put a Spartan in Dead or Alive 3... We met with Itagaki and his team to make sure the Spartan was fighting correctly, using a style that was appropriate, was the right height and moving like a Spartan.

"So we've always been open to those sort of mini-collaborations, but as far as the core game experiences are concerned we have to keep that close to home.

"We certainly see [Defiant map pack dev] Certain Affinity as being close to home because there are a lot of ex-Bungie and Halo guys on that team, so it's very natural.

"In the future - who knows. But fundamentally we're right now building a large, powerful top-tier studio to make triple-A experiences in the future and that's our general direction right now," he said.

"So we'll continue to do little collaborations with people but for core experiences we have to keep those close to home."

Whether a rebuilt Halo: Combat Evolved would be classed as a 'mini-collaboration' is up for interpretation, of course, but we'd consider such a product to be anything but tiny.

Gui_PT said:
So, should they just have the perfect defense and be impossible to kill from far away?

Sorry, have I said that? I was only giving some advice of how to kill them to someone who complained about it. Without that hole the hunters would have to move the shield to shoot at you so they woud be unprotected for that amount of time.

Blue Ninja said:
The fact that Reach, both storywise and gameplaywise, polarizes so much of the community makes me sad. :p
The fact that my own opinions and experiences with Reach are so polarizing to myself makes me sad. :(

molekiller said:
Reach's legendary is too easy.

Jackal shields? The shield has a hole on one side that says "shoot here!!"

Wraits? Which one gives you headaches? The ones that you can't take out from far away can be "assaulted" from above with a jetpack (end of Exodus).

Hunters? Never found those fights unfair if you move well and use the hologram. You can even skip two hunters jumping through a window...
I don't know if any of us long time Halo players can objectively say Reach's Legendary is "Easy".

After having beaten CE-ODST campaigns on Legendary solo, learning the ins and outs of the weapon sandbox for each game, Halo staple techniques, and so forth, of course Reach is going to feel easier. We've all become accustomed to how to play Halo on Legendary. Even then, the Elite AI is brutal and their matrix dodging is ridiculous. And some encounters are downright cruel. I'm looking at you last room of Long Night of Solace. No, I wouldn't say Reach Legendary is too easy. Too easy for you and some of us maybe, but hand it off to any other seasoned FPS player without Halo Legendary experience and they'll probably have a hell of a time until they learn the strategies.

Gui_PT said:
You complained it was too easy and stated your reasons

Those were another guy's reasons to explain why legendary is too difficult, not mine. If i had to choose a reason of why is too easy I'd choose the noob combo.

Also the non-existence of a flood level makes things easier too :)

Barrow Roll said:
After having beaten CE-ODST campaigns on Legendary solo, learning the ins and outs of the weapon sandbox for each game, Halo staple techniques, and so forth, of course Reach is going to feel easier. We've all become accustomed to how to play Halo on Legendary. Even then, the Elite AI is brutal and their matrix dodging is ridiculous. And some encounters are downright cruel. I'm looking at you last room of Long Night of Solace. No, I wouldn't say Reach Legendary is too easy. Too easy for you and some of us maybe, but hand it off to any other seasoned FPS player without Halo Legendary experience and they'll probably have a hell of a time until they learn the strategies.

I guess you are right. What I like from Halo's legendary is that I never felt it to be "unfair" (well, maybe a little bit in Halo 2..). Having said that, Legendary+noob combo is far easier than heroic without it. I think you should not be able to kill a legendary elite with two shots.

Untracked

blink348 said:
what are you guys' opinions of Headlong? I'd like to see a remake of some sort, but apparently I love Headlong more than everyone else.
EDIT: I realise now you meant a professional remake not a half-assed Forge version (I need more fucking sleep).

Headlong is my favourite from all the games, Assault on that map was epic. Bungie should have remade it using the Beachhead assets. It has nice buildings, a large grassy area and opens up to the sea. Stick a tower in there and you're halfway to a great BTB map.

wwm0nkey said:
2hhei6u.jpg
That NEEDS to happen.

Karl2177

Barrow Roll said:
I don't know if any of us long time Halo players can objectively say Reach's Legendary is "Easy".

Having beaten all of the Halo games on Legendary, except CE
(Fuck you too Library)
, Reach feels like a breeze. You are correct in that sense of needing Halo Legendary experience to beat it though. I have a friend who has beaten most of the CoD games on Veteran, but never touched Halo's Campaign until Reach. He had troubles even on the first few encounters of the first mission.

GhaleonEB

The weekly is MP as expected so I won't be touching it, but it's good to see a new high water mark in the payout department. Hopefully the FF and Campaign ones follow suit in the next rotation.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
The weekly is MP as expected so I won't be touching it, but it's good to see a new high water mark in the payout department. Hopefully the FF and Campaign ones follow suit in the next rotation.

Unfortunately Multi Team isn't a choice anymore for this. So it'll be a tough one to get

Hey You

wwm0nkey said:
So guy if this.

2hhei6u.jpg

Came out as a summer of Arcade title for $15 this year, how many of you would buy it?
Nope.

Probably because I just started playing Halo at Halo 3 and only played a Handful of games of Halo 2.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
This week's weekly is obviously aimed at the under 22 crowd. I average ~1900 kills/month, and they want me to get 1500 in a week? It's not that I have any trouble killing either, I just can only play 1-2 hours a night. This challenge also means Multi-team isn't going to be a fun playlist this week. It's a shame to see Bungie losing touch with their fan base. It seemed that Bungie used to understand how achievements (and by extension challenges) could alter player behavior to adversely affect the game. However, they just go on to promote playing improperly with challenges like this.

I see all these games where I can lose, go negative, go MVP, go positive, win, it doesn't matter, and still I have more headshots than everyone else by huge margins. And I just cry...this game fucking rewards the worst shit ever. Spawn me in front of a wraith, good job, really fucking good job with that spawn system, let me spawn on a banshee flying in the air so I fall to my death? How can you even fucking allow that?! I thought with hitscan so many of these things would all just go back to the way H2 was, with skill being the most important thing. Its worse now though, it really is.

Also I didn't just lose a bunch of games I just won a bunch straight going pretty positive each game. I just have no feeling of satisfaction that I just donged hard though because each game I had a few deaths, and it wasn't like "yeaaaa that guy out BR'd me he deserves that!" its all cheap shit. All of it.

Yea sick rant I know. But really I can't wait for a classic playlist that isn't MLG. I'm a bit bored of the MLG playlist.

kylej

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
So guy if this.

2hhei6u.jpg

Came out as a summer of Arcade title for $15 this year, how many of you would buy it?

They better release all the Reach DLC they've got before that thing comes out. Firefight maps for $10 or H2 XBLA for $15. Yeup.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
Of course, you could not get it. But I know that's impossible for you, Gui. lol.

Yeah, being a challenge whore and all :lol

xxjuicesxx said:
I see all these games where I can lose, go negative, go MVP, go positive, win, it doesn't matter, and still I have more headshots than everyone else by huge margins. And I just cry...this game fucking rewards the worst shit ever. Spawn me in front of a wraith, good job, really fucking good job with that spawn system, let me spawn on a banshee flying in the air so I fall to my death? How can you even fucking allow that?! I thought with hitscan so many of these things would all just go back to the way H2 was, with skill being the most important thing. Its worse now though, it really is.

Also I didn't just lose a bunch of games I just won a bunch straight going pretty positive each game. I just have no feeling of satisfaction that I just donged hard though because each game I had a few deaths, and it wasn't like "yeaaaa that guy out BR'd me he deserves that!" its all cheap shit. All of it.

Yea sick rant I know. But really I can't wait for a classic playlist that isn't MLG. I'm a bit bored of the MLG playlist.

Exactly how I feel

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

Trying to play Reach competitively is extremely frustrating. Feels like everything fights against you when you take it seriously. Will be interesting to watch the pros play this year.

feel

xxjuicesxx said:
But really I can't wait for a classic playlist that isn't MLG.
With Classic being a couple of months away, NoF can't be just creating a simple playlist, he must be busy coding bloom out of the game all by himself to really make it right, can't wait!!

In Europe, when playing Grifball, just switch to the sword. Unless the American makes a grave error, you will lose a hammer versus hammer battle every time.

Better yet, just don't play Grifball cuz it sucks.

Shake Appeal said:
In Europe, when playing Grifball, just switch to the sword. Unless the American makes a grave error, you will lose a hammer versus hammer battle every time.

Better yet, just don't play Grifball cuz it sucks.

The Shake Appeal Cannon would be an invaluable weapon.

xxjuicesxx said:
Halo Reach in Shameless with what sounds like Power Drainer equipment...What the?

Obviously the upcoming TU has some of the favorite equipment from H3 returning as AA's to Reach, and by favorites I mean power drainer, flare, radar jammer, auto turret.

blink348

Neo Member
lol Europe, you so funnay.
So am I the only one who found griffball in Reach to be a bit more enjoyable? Maybe that's because I was beasting it all 5 or so games I played...

Ramirez

PNut said:
To say the entire spectrum of the Reach sandbox is complete fail is ridiculous. There are so many options available in Reach that were not in previous games that carter to every type of gamer. Forge 2.0, Invasion, Fire Fight, Custom games, The Arena (coming soon), Community Playlists, Daily Challenges, LASO runs, etc... I can't think of a title out there now that offers all these features.

In my opinion the only things missing from Reach is Ranked 1-50 and the ability to watch Theater with friends. If it had those 2 things it would be perfect.

Lists are dumb, even more dumb when you list stuff like custom games and "LASO" runs, really? lol

blink348

Neo Member
Pff, LASO.
I don't want to play Reach with Iron. I just get gypped and bullshitted too much during Campaign for that to be even remotely fair, especially with Mythic, Catch, and Tough Luck.

Crucio

Its not meant to be "fair". The whole point of a LASO run is the challenge and to improve your game. I don't mean for credits challenges either.

blink348

Neo Member
Nothing past Heroic is meant to be fair, I know. But honestly, LASO takes it too far. I'd totally try it when I get used to playing on Legendary like I do Heroic, but I'd have to fight the urge to smash my controller against the wall.

Top Bottom