• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

CVG article said:
Microsoft's internal Halo studio, 343 Industries, has seemingly doused water on suggestions that the long-rumoured Halo: Combat Evolved remake is being developed externally.

According to recent reports, the rumoured Combat Evolved HD - which is said to feature 1080p art assets and online co-op - isn't being touched up by 343, but rather by Timeshift dev Saber Interactive.

But according to creative director Frank O'Connor, 343 would only work with an external developer for "mini-collaborations", such as the upcoming Defiant map pack, which is co-developed by Certain Affinity.

O'Conner told CVG in San Francisco last week: "343 as a publishing entity and Bungie before it is always open to collaboration. We've done weird things in the past like we put a Spartan in Dead or Alive 3... We met with Itagaki and his team to make sure the Spartan was fighting correctly, using a style that was appropriate, was the right height and moving like a Spartan.

"So we've always been open to those sort of mini-collaborations, but as far as the core game experiences are concerned we have to keep that close to home.

"We certainly see [Defiant map pack dev] Certain Affinity as being close to home because there are a lot of ex-Bungie and Halo guys on that team, so it's very natural.

"In the future - who knows. But fundamentally we're right now building a large, powerful top-tier studio to make triple-A experiences in the future and that's our general direction right now," he said.

"So we'll continue to do little collaborations with people but for core experiences we have to keep those close to home."

Whether a rebuilt Halo: Combat Evolved would be classed as a 'mini-collaboration' is up for interpretation, of course, but we'd consider such a product to be anything but tiny.

Maybe the Defiant Map Pack was CA's test with the Reach engine. Perhaps CA is the one responsible for the Halo remake. It would correlate with the original rumors.

Or we could be S.O.L. on the remake.

Steelyuhas said:
The weekly is about 214 kills per day. Wow that is some serious Halo time.
Yep, being a partly crappy player who doesn't get much time to play (stupid work), I won't even be attempting this. :-(

wwm0nkey said:
I don't think we will be seeing the Halo 1 remake to be honest :/
I'm with you. Rumors have been abound for a while now, and 343 still hasn't said anything that even remotely confirms it. Either they think keeping it quiet for so long is good, or they really have nothing remake-related in the pipeline.

Can the Daily Challenges for matchmaking multiplayer be map-specific?

I know there are Challenges that refer to specific Firefight or Campaign levels, can the same be done for the normal maps?

e.g. "Get 10 headshot kills in a matchmade multiplayer game on Boardwalk." 1000 cR

Now I know that would probably screw up the voting system, as everyone would want to vote for Boardwalk (eww), but I thought that might be a way to encourage more DLC adoption:

"Get 5 grenade kills in a matchmade multiplayer game on Anchor 9." 2500 cR

and of course on Firefight Thursdays after Defiant drops:

"Get 3 vehicle kills in a matchmade Firefight game on Unearthed." 3000 cR

Steelyuhas said:
The weekly is about 214 kills per day. Wow that is some serious Halo time.
I don't know if I can reach it, too. Otherwise it is carnival-time in germany and I've a long weekend.

ncsuDuncan said:

I know there are Challenges that refer to specific Firefight or Campaign levels, can the same be done for the normal maps?

e.g. "Get 10 headshot kills in a matchmade multiplayer game on Boardwalk." 1000 cR

Now I know that would probably screw up the voting system, as everyone would want to vote for Boardwalk (eww), but I thought that might be a way to encourage more DLC adoption:

Not everyone will buy the DLC.

Blue Ninja said:
I'm with you. Rumors have been abound for a while now, and 343 still hasn't said anything that even remotely confirms it. Either they think keeping it quiet for so long is good, or they really have nothing remake-related in the pipeline.

My money is still on a fully re-rendered campaign and no mp via XBL arcade. I pray that I'm wrong and we get both but something tells me that I should keep my expectations fairly low.

Decided to upload some fun arena doubles matches on my youtube page, complete with the most epic loading screen ever, to commemorate the playlist's overhaul taking place this week. I just hope the changes are for the better.

Honestly, I'd rather have another original side story like ODST than a remake.
The universe is ripe for fresh, well-polished and succinct narratives.

wwm0nkey

Hitmonchan107 said:
Honestly, I'd rather have another original side story like ODST than a remake.
The universe is ripe for fresh, well-polished and succinct narratives.
Well im fine with MP remakes of either. Another side story or spin off wouldnt be bad though

I want Halo Wars 2 with kinect already damnit!

Hypertrooper said:
Not everyone will buy the DLC.

I know, I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas to encourage more people to get the DLC.

I just miss the Halo 2 DLC model. It's frustrating, buying the new maps and then never seeing them pop up in normal playlists.

I wish every game was supported the way Valve supports TF2. (EDIT: I know this is Microsoft's fault, not Bungie's. But seriously, TF2 has been the best $10 I've ever spent on games.)

Is Microsoft still charging for the Halo 3 map packs?

I know this is being unfair to the people who haven't bought the maps, but I'm kind of leaning towards the position that hopes Bungie will start requiring DLC in some playlists. I desperately want to see Temepst in BTB; I never see it pop up.

ncsuDuncan said:
I know, I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas to encourage more people to get the DLC.

I just miss the Halo 2 DLC model. It's frustrating, buying the new maps and then never seeing them pop up in normal playlists.

I wish every game was supported the way Valve supports TF2.

They pop up when people have them and there is still the dedicated playlist right?

All but Heroic I believe.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
I know this is being unfair to the people who haven't bought the maps, but I'm kind of leaning towards the position that hopes Bungie will start requiring DLC in some playlists. I desperately want to see Temepst in BTB; I never see it pop up.
They need to do what Halo 2 did and after a month or 2 make them free. or atleast 80 ms points then have them required.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
They need to do what Halo 2 did and after a month or 2 make them free. or atleast 80 ms points then have them required.
That would be ideal (and was, when it was used).

Of course, the "they" is Microsoft, and it won't happen. Bungie makes zero coin of the DLC maps they made (and obviously, none on the new one), and the schism in the player base impacts matchmaking, so it's in Bungie's interests to see them go free. But it's Microsoft that makes the money off them, and they're not going free. The Halo 3 DLC, Heroic aside, are not even free.

KevinRo

Devin Olsen said:
I might be missing the sarcasm... But you do know that crouching does diminish the bloom considerably, right?

For long distances.

If you've ever played a game like CS you'd see how crouching should be implemented into the 'bloom' aspect of the shot system.

Gui_PT

ncsuDuncan said:

That would probably be one of the stupidest things they could do with the game.

Forcing people to play on certain maps just for challenges?

Not only would that piss everyone off, getting the challenges would be awful because you'd have to be lucky enough to get the map you need AND a gametype that would allow you to get the challenge.

Hydranockz said:
They pop up when people have them and there is still the dedicated playlist right?
Correct.

Okay, so for $10 I get:
1) A single dedicated playlist
- with the wrong number of players (6v6 on maps that need 4v4 or possibly 8v8)
- with only the DLC maps, so you tire of them pretty quickly

2) A snowball's chance in hell that everyone in the normal playlists will have the maps.
- This never happens.

I realize it's a hard balance:
- MS/Bungie need to charge for the maps at some point, because it costs money to make them.
- You can't charge MSP for the maps and then make them free a week later, you'll piss off the people that paid.
- If everyone expects the maps to be free after a short time span they'll just wait until then.
- If you keep splitting your player base with paid DLC, eventually everyone will get tired of waiting in the matchmaking lobby and go play CoD (or Gears, or TF2, whatever).

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:

Not only would that piss everyone off, getting the challenges would be awful because you'd have to be lucky enough to get the map you need AND a gametype that would allow you to get the challenge.
I figure , that's what the new Achievements are for. Would be neat of they were also tied to cR payouts, but hey. People who want their virtual e-peen points can get them that way.

I still need two: Skunked, and Ate All the Chips.

urk said:
Deep breaths, Ram. In through the nose. Out through the mouth.

Urk I love the fact that you have an interest in the community and post here, but that doesn't mean we are going to be mindless plebs and just say everythings great. Most of the 'bitching' done here is actually well thought out and has good supporting evidence. I would say that some people are pretty impressive by how mature they are with they're feedback. Its actually kind of sad that your playing off HaloGafs concerns as the same drivel that is posted on Bnet. It kind of makes me wonder if potentially you guys sitting in Bungie studios think that the game is the bestest game evaaaaar. I dont believe that though... changes to the Arena prove that you guys understand that Reach has its issues.

Les be honest, nothing is perfect, and something like Halo has always made differences in opinion apparent. So im hoping that either you guys or 343 are actually taking the feedback on board, rather than printing it out, turning it into paper aeroplanes and throwing it out the window. :D

Gui_PT said:

Okay, maybe: "Earn 5 grenade kills in a matchmade game on ANY map from the Noble or Defiant Map Pack."

And that's just 1 Daily out of 4. Just trying to find a way to incentivize the DLC without taking too much away from those that don't have it.

As Ghaleon said, the Achievements are similar but a cR bonus to DLC owners is what I'm going for.

GhaleonEB said:

I still need Ate All the Chips, but the first time I played with HaloGAF, we skunked the other team.
Perhaps there could be a quick HaloGAF Invasion Murkathon for you.

GhaleonEB said:
I figure , that's what the new Achievements are for. Would be neat of they were also tied to cR payouts, but hey. People who want their virtual e-peen points can get them that way.

You still haven't gotten Skunked? I'd be happy to help you out (and anyone else) who needs it. I dare say that I've played the most Invasion games out of all of HaloGAF, so I should better your chances...I think (hope, whatever). I can help anyone with Ate All the Chips too.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:

We can get a good Gaf party and have a go at those. They're quite easy to get.

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, maybe: "Earn 5 grenade kills in a matchmade game on ANY map from the Noble or Defiant Map Pack."
And that's just 1 Daily out of 4. Just trying to find a way to incentivize the DLC without taking too much away from those that don't have it.
As Ghaleon said, the Achievements are similar but a cR bonus to DLC owners is what I'm going for.

Challenges and Achievements are different things. The Achievements will get people to play the new maps. I don't think that should be mixed with challenges.

wwm0nkey said:
Still sad they never released a patch on XBL to add Kinect support for that game. would have bought it in a heart beat.

R.U.S.E. was developed with the Surface in mind. Adding Kinect support was probably pretty minor compared to the work that would've been necessary for Halo Wars.

But no doubt, I'm in the same boat as you.

ncsuDuncan said:
Correct.

Okay, so for $10 I get:

2) A snowball's chance in hell that everyone in the normal playlists will have the maps.
- This never happens.

- MS/Bungie need to charge for the maps at some point, because it costs money to make them.
- You can't charge MSP for the maps and then make them free a week later, you'll piss off the people that paid.
- If everyone expects the maps to be free after a short time span they'll just wait until then.
- If you keep splitting your player base with paid DLC, eventually everyone will get tired of waiting in the matchmaking lobby and go play CoD (or Gears, or TF2, whatever).
Your 2nd point is a it flawed as the matchmaking algorithms actually bunch people togther with the DLC. I was seeing maps in most other playlists. Prolem with BT is you are playing with odds stacked against you to group 16 players who all have the DLC and are free at that one time etc. Far more so than trying to do the same in a Doubles playlist.

Challenges that require DLC will piss people off. It's already tricky enough to knock 'em all out in a day. The prolem is how you advertise 3 maps for their price. I don't envy them but after the core followers who were always going to buy it, it is an uphill struggle.

Edit: For the record, I only ever skim your essays on how this game is not perfect. It was fine at first but now it is borderline ungrateful and if I was to take your opinions to heart I would begin to dislike this game immensely but that's not me. Urk is salvaging some joy from your jaded, cynical hearts. I applaude his efforts.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:

To follow on this, that's also not an option. The templates from which the Challenges are assembled are built into the game. And I haven't seen any indication that there is a MP map-specific Challenge template (though there are Firefight ones), and even if there were they would not include the new maps.

I think that kind of thing - were it theoretically possible - would be doable if it was communicated in advance. If they did a Defiant Challenge Week or something like that I'd be fine with it. But I don't think its an option, so yeah.

ncsuDuncan said:

I wish every game was supported the way Valve supports TF2. (EDIT: I know this is Microsoft's fault, not Bungie's. But seriously, TF2 has been the best $10 I've ever spent on games.)

Yeah as I posted last night in BTB map situation rant, the DLC situation is much less than ideal.

As for H3 map packs, the current prices:
Heroic: Free
Legendary: 160 points
Mythic 1: 400 points
Mythic 2: 800 points

The packs beside Heroic will never be free because they have achievements attached to them, as Noble does.

kylej

Banned
I don't know how Halo does its DLC matchmaking or how COD does it, all I know is my buddies and I can play whatever gametype we want, for as long as we want, on only the DLC maps (if we want) when playing Blops. Do it that way please. Less rigidity and more letting people choose how they have fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Correct.

Okay, so for $10 I get:

- This never happens.

- with the right number of players
- with only the DLC maps, so horrible maps pooping up

Breakpoint and Tempest were both designed for 6 on 6 teams, so the playlist party size is ideal. Anchor 9 never manages to feel overcrowded with 12 players, even though it looks like it was designed for less.

2) A snowball's chance in a blizzard that everyone in the normal playlists will have the maps.
- This happens often, particularly when you play with a party.

The DLC Maps pop up often for myself, particularly when I've partied up with a large group of folks that obvious also have the maps. Reach does a better job than any other Halo game of matching you with other DLC owners and it definitely shows.

Halo's DLC model, as established in Halo 3, has always been a good deal and the backend system for Reach do great job considering the obvious limitations.

I wonder if I could count the amount of games I have played on a particular DLC map, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers matched or surpassed most of the shipping maps.

I wouldn't be leaning towards forcing playlist to require DLC if almost every time I played the DLC playlist, Breakpoint is almost certain to get chosen. I want to play Tempest, dammit!

GhaleonEB

Dani, you can filter your Game History by map and game type. So look in something like BTB for Tempest and Breakpoint and add them up. I just tried to do so myself but my custom work browser won't let me filter on b.net.

Dani said:
The DLC Maps pop up often for myself, particularly when I've partied up with a large group of folks that obvious also have the maps. Reach does a better job than any other Halo game of matching you with other DLC owners and it definitely shows.

I wonder if I could count the amount of games I have played on a particular DLC map, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers matched or surpassed most of the shipping maps.

You sir, are incredibly lucky. For me the maps are incredibly rare, even when playing with a party that has them, and if you are playing solo, I can forget they even exist because there is virtually no chance they are coming up. Apparently the matchmaking system tries to match you up with people that have the maps before just searching with everyone. As far as I am concerned, that matchmaking search algorithm does not work.

You can filter by map on bnet, you could see how many games you have played on each map.

2hhei6u.jpg

Everytime I see this avatar, I want to cry. I would buy this so fast.

Steelyuhas said:
You sir, are incredibly lucky. For me the maps are incredibly rare, even when playing with a party that has them, and if you are playing solo, I can forget they even exist because there is virtually no chance they are coming up. Apparently the matchmaking system tries to match you up with people that have the maps before just searching with everyone. As far as I am concerned, that matchmaking search algorithm does not work.

You can filter by map on bnet, you could see how many games you have played on each map.
The DLC maps are very often in normal MM for me, too. Maybe it's an euro exclusive thing?

Emperor Bohe said:
2hhei6u.jpg

Everytime I see this avatar, I want to cry. I would buy this so fast.
Haha, wwm0nkey did his job well.

Okay, crazy ideas here:

Arena ranking for every individual playlist if you have the DLC.

Games required for a Daily Rating: 1.
Days required for Division placement: 1.
Season length: Until the next DLC comes out.

Arena formula for Slayer gametypes:
Same as it is now, maybe tweak the weighting of Asissts/Deaths/Betrayals for less competitive gameplay.

Arena rating for Objective gametypes:
Winning team = 1800, Losing team = 1000
Multiteam: 1st = 1800, 2nd = 1700, etc.

If you don't have the DLC: you only get ranked in the 1 or 2 actual Arena playlists.

Basically trying to emulate 1-50 as much as possible. Probably prone to idlers, but only in objective. And giving people without DLC a mark of shame that doesn't actually remove any game features.

GhaleonEB said:
Dani, you can filter your Game History by map and game type. So look in something like BTB for Tempest and Breakpoint and add them up. I just tried to do so myself but my custom work browser won't let me filter on b.net.
Forgot you could do this. I've only played one game of Tempest in BTB. And given the, well, lacking state of BTB in Reach, the playlist needs for that map to appear more often. It's been two months since the NMP came out, and I've played one came of Tempest in BTB.

What's really worrying for me is, yes, 343i/Bungie have been trying to help out BTB with DLC, but that's not going to matter much when I can hardly play on the maps. How long will it be past the release of the DMP before I see Highlands regularly? How long will it be until I regularly see Tempest and Highlands in BTB?

343i can put out all the maps for BTB through DLC it wants, but unless matchmaking is tailored to support those maps, it's not going to make a difference. And I really want Reach's BTB to be the best it can be. I have the most fun in BTB.

Dax01 said:
Forgot you could do this. I've only played one game of Tempest in BTB. And given the, well, lacking state of BTB in Reach, the playlist needs for that map to appear more often. It's been two months since the NMP came out, and I've played one came of Tempest in BTB.

What's really worrying for me is, yes, 343i/Bungie have been trying to help out BTB with DLC, but that's not going to matter much when I can hardly play on the maps. How long will it be past the release of the DMP before I see Highlands regularly? How long will it be until I regularly see Tempest and Highlands in BTB?

343i can put out all the maps for BTB through DLC it wants, but unless matchmaking is tailored to support those maps, it's not going to make a difference. And I really want Reach's BTB to be the best it can be. I have the most in BTB.

Yep, that was essentially what I was saying last night. I have never played Tempest or Breakpoint in Big Team, and I don't see why that is going to change for Highlands. Considering that the only disc map that is in the Big Team playlist that I enjoy is Hemorrhage, having those DLC maps actually show up is huge for me.

Untracked

So I just caved and bought that new Halo Spartan Avatar Armor, why the hell can't I put the Waypoint EVA Helmet on its body?! There are many Halo helmets in my Avatar Editor, I would like to use them, this shit should be interchangeable!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Untracked said:
So I just caved and bought that new Halo Spartan Avatar Armor, why the hell can't I put the Waypoint EVA Helmet on its body?! There are many Halo helmets in my Avatar Editor, I would like to use them, this shit should be interchangeable!

Because it's a suit.

Untracked

Alienshogun said:
Because it's a suit.
Well yeah obviously, its a nice suit, but it would be nicer with an EVA helmet on it.
Also charging for individual colors is a bit sucky when I can buy a t-shirt that comes with many selectable colors.
/avatar rant.

vhfive

Untracked said:
Well yeah obviously, its a nice suit, but it would be nicer with an EVA helmet on it.
Also charging for individual colors is a bit sucky when I can buy a t-shirt that comes with many selectable colors.
/avatar rant.
here's an idea

don't buy shitty avatar clothing

wwm0nkey

So anyone else surprised how quickly 343 got control over Reach's coding and ect while Bungie only gets the community and playlist side?

Presco

Nutter said:
LOL at all the complaining.
I totally agree with all of it

Welcome to last may. Though I remember reading a lot of posts after launch about how BLOPS will save the day, wonder what happened to that.

I WOULD like Halo 2 on XBLA though. :O

Going back a few pages to quote this...sorry all.

BLOPS is a beast and has saved the day for me so far. Anyone see the online numbers last night? 2.95 million around 9pm eastern. Kind of staggering to think about. My multiplayer rotation is currently BLOPS, Halo 3, and Killzone 3.

That said, I want to force myself back to Reach. The netcode is just sooo good that the lag in Halo 3 (and BLOPS for that matter) is too noticeable. Also, for all its shortcomings, Reach is still a great game. I just need to forget that it's called Halo. Classic playlist can't get here soon enough.

Top Bottom