• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Here is exactly how I envision the Classic playlist playing out

Week 1: Man this is pretty cool!

Week 4: Man this doesn't really play out like Halo 1, 2 or 3 at all :(

wwm0nkey said:

It is the way of things for people to always find something to bitch about. I remember when everyone was waiting for MLG to "liberate" them from the flawed Reach multiplayer.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
It is the way of things for people to always find something to bitch about. I remember when everyone was waiting for MLG to "liberate" them from the flawed Reach multiplayer.
MLG did just that for me though. When I'm not getting trounced it is the most enjoyable reach experience.

vhfive

wwm0nkey said:

Week 4: Man this doesn't really play out like Halo 1, 2 or 3 at all :( but it's still better than the alternative
fixed

wwm0nkey said:

Vhfives fix says it all really.

Im not so fussed about a classic playlist as such, but I DO want forge remakes of classic maps in all playlists. If The Cage can make it into matchmaking so should good forge maps. :p

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
I still don't know why people want a classic playlist rather than wanting the classic itself.
By playing customs and watching the players, it's nice seeing the ones who try getting away from dying which they could have done in normal Reach or Halo 3 get crushed. In Halo 2, you fucking died. Deal with it.

Butane123 said:
I kinda agree. I played 1 flag BTB on it last night and it just felt cramped, but I'm sure that has to do more how people play that gametype than anything else.
Standoff was heavily crammed for 8v8, as well. Perfect for 6v6, which Tempest can also relate to. Tempest is more well rounded overall, in my view.

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
By playing customs and watching the players, it's nice seeing the ones who try getting away from dying which they could have done in normal Reach or Halo 3 get crushed. In Halo 2, you fucking died. Deal with it.
ummm actually its MUCH easier to run away then live in Halo 2 than it was in 3 or Reach. In Halo 2 if my shields are down just run away for about 5 seconds and bam ready to fight the guy that is chasing me.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
ummm actually its MUCH easier to run away then live in Halo 2 than it was in 3 or Reach. In Halo 2 if my shields are down just run away for about 5 seconds and bam ready to fight the guy that is chasing me.
Depends on the map.

With a hit-scan 4-shot BR and no bubble shields to derail any kind of shots you're taking, it's a small chance. :p

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
Depends on the map.

With a hit-scan 4-shot BR and no bubble shields to derail any kind of shots you're taken, it's a small chance. :p
Well either way Halo: Reach its almost impossible to escape your death it seems. Well you know unless you have armor lock.

vhfive said:
here's an idea

don't buy shitty avatar clothing

[adult swim]

I'm not going to lie, ODST on Legendary was probably one of the most fun legendary experiences for me. It felt like traditional Halo on the rest of the difficulties, but the fact that you die so quickly combined with the atmosphere and hub world on legendary, it basically felt like a stealth game or something. It was even better with more than one person.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Sprint is a maybe, Camo would be a yes if you actually went invis and the radar didnt give you away and drop shield is not in too many game types.

Yeah but you said in Reach it's almost impossible to escape death unless you have Armour Lock. This is false, Camo, Sprint and Drop Shield all give you an additional chance to escape death.

You are focusing on Armour Lock by implying it magically stops people from dying. It's a delay mechanic. And the rest of the abilities I pointed out can also achieve the same effect, delaying a player's death or preventing it outright.

Hey You

Classic Playlist most likely coming April, if not Late March:

We're still doing internal testing, I'll be looking at community remakes of classic maps later this week. I'll keep updating this thread as things progress, but this playlist is still in the design/testing phase so you should not expect a March release. It might happen in late March but it's looking more like a headliner for the April update.

Edit: And On the Playlists page it shows Double Team, so I'm assuming it live. Nothing on "The Arena" yet.

I think that Armor Lock's execution was actually pretty good, it's just that it's not working nearly the same way Bungie expected it to, much like Radar Jammer was used for hopping out of maps as opposed to doing a combo with someone camo'd to steal flags and whatnot. I think that instead of literally "locking" people in Armor Lock for the entire three-second duration like people were saying, it would actually only be possible to armor lock for a second--maybe even drop the "lock and punch" animation altogether, simply give off that burst at the end at full power, and make it take up half of the charge. It would work similar to the Gravity Hammer's swing, deflecting rockets and whatnot, but with an added EMP ability. That way, it'd be a bit more competitive than the sort of "Get Out Of Jail Free" card that it is now, similar to powershielding/shieldrolling/whatever in Super Smash Bros.

Zee-V70 said:
I'm not going to lie, ODST on Legendary was probably one of the most fun legendary experiences for me. It felt like traditional Halo on the rest of the difficulties, but the fact that you die so quickly combined with the atmosphere and hub world on legendary, it basically felt like a stealth game or something. It was even better with more than one person.
Same exact experience here. Halo 3 on legendary was tough as nails, but fun and fair (til the last few levels), Reach was fun but with very cheap moments, and ODST was just pure joy all the way through. (OK, except for the highway. I almost lost my shit on that damn highway)

blamite

Hey You said:

Edit: And On the Playlists page it shows Double Team, so I'm assuming it live. Nothing on "The Arena" yet.
The Arena probably won't be up until tomorrow, since today is still considered the last day of the current season.

I'm actually looking forward to the new format, the gametype seems like a decent compromise between standard Reach and ultra-competitive MLG Reach, and the 3 month seasons interest me lot more than the current month long ones.

Striker

Hey You said:

More news is only good news. Thanks for posting.

Good he's considering remakes from Forge - thinking of Warlock, Coagulation, Lockout, etc. I don't want litter in it.

NullPointer said:
Same exact experience here. Halo 3 on legendary was tough as nails, but fun and fair (til the last few levels), Reach was fun but with very cheap moments, and ODST was just pure joy all the way through. (OK, except for the highway. I almost lost my shit on that damn highway)

I'm on the same boat as you here. Coastal Highway made up for it simply due to being so good atmospherically, though. (dat music/scarab chasing you/final standoff)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Though this was interesting to share. Clickie.

Just a look at the breakdown of Halo maps, by game, separated into three main visual themes. Nothing ground breaking but I had it in loose note form and decided to update it for the Defiant Map pack and since I wasn't using it for anything (I think I had intended to use it as a reference for something else), I though I'd just stick it up and share.

Zee-V70 said:
I'm on the same boat as you here. Coastal Highway made up for it simply due to being so good atmospherically, though. (dat music/scarab chasing you/final standoff)
Oh yeah, fighting at dawn and working your long way towards the ultimate firefight-match/end-game was incredible. That's probably my favorite finale of any Halo game, although Lone Wolf will always hold a special place in my gaming heart.

blamite

Hey You said:
Hmm Interesting, The Arena Category is now gone and The Arena is in the Competitive Category. Not playable though.
Also, Double Team is up and available to play right now.
Damn, both the Needler and Concussion Rifle on Countdown were reduced to no spare clips for the playlist, yet it's possible for a team to get two swords with Evade.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Down for me as well, wasn't working for Sanjuro either, but it works for KevinRo.

I'm gonna check again later, hopefully everything will be up and working.

Lazslo

Nice write up and Data Dani. I guess I never noticed just how much Forerunner maps are in the Halo Multiplayer as a whole, I liked those graphs yo. I <3 Forward Unto D.

Also, was Halo 2 the first game to ever get DLC on the Xbox?

Heysoos

Hi, HaloGaf! Long time lurker here. :) Haven't played Halo in a while, mostly due to school, friends, and Bulletstorm, but hoping to get more playing time once midterms and testing ends. :)

By the way,
armor lock is my favorite armor ability
. :D

If anyone want to play some games sometime, feel free to add me. :)

GhaleonEB

*adds to ignore list*

Nice summary, Dani. For some reason I thought the Human theme had a larger proportion.

Should have the next Forging Ahead entry drafted tomorrow, been writing it over my lunch breaks at work.

Heysoos said:
Hi, HaloGaf! Long time lurker here. :) Haven't played Halo in a while, mostly due to school, friends, and Bulletstorm, but hoping to get more playing time once midterms and testing ends. :)

By the way,
armor lock is my favorite armor ability
. :D

If anyone want to play some games sometime, feel free to add me. :)

What have you done!?!?

Fly,fly you fools!

jk

Heysoos

Karl2177 said:
Why is that?

There's just something inherently fun about armor locking before a Ghost splatters you. Or when a Banshee tries the same thing. It's also pretty useful to take fire away from your allies when they're in a tough spot allowing your team to regroup, recharge, and take out the enemies. Honestly, don't see why all the hate for armor lock. Most of the time it's completely ineffective if your team is incompetent.

To be fair though, I tend to use sprint most of the time, since I never get any help when I'm playing with randoms. Try to stick with armor lock only when I'm playing with friends or big objective games.

Top Bottom