• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Letters said:
jpamti.jpg

that's a plasma nade stuck to the bomb carrier's helmet
My precious head!

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't have a problem with the weapons on Highlands in Slayer but there always seems to be someone camping the flag on CTF with the rockets.

Also, remove the Noble maps out of Defiant. People are in Defiant because they want to play Defiant, even if it means just playing the same maps. I don't want to play Breakpoint. EVER AGAIN. I don't want to see that map until they get the Falcons in there. It's the one reason why I never went back to the noble playlist.

Kibbles

wwm0nkey said:
AA's should NOT be in any new Halo. I think it needs to return to its roots more.

Also if the movement speed and kill times of the new Halo are on par with 1 and 2 I dont think we will need sprint. Keep it in as an option or something I guess though.
The trouble is there are a lot of people who do like them and are getting used to them and would want them in, so 343 is in a pretty tough cookie here. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to come up with.

wwm0nkey

Kibbles said:
The trouble is there are a lot of people who do like them and are getting used to them and would want them in, so 343 is in a pretty tough cookie here. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to come up with.
Well there has to be a way to appeal to both crowds. Maybe have the game include 2 different play styles or (sorry to sound like a broken record) release a classic Halo MP game on XBLA (either Halo 2 XBLA or Halo 1 and Halo 2 XBLA.)

Hey You

Some more info on the classic playlist front:

A few people have asked about starting weapons so I'll outline those as well. The base gametype will be AR/Magnum starts but there will also be a Rifles gametype featuring DMR/NR starts. The players who desire a Classic playlist do not all want the same thing, just like people who go into Team Slayer don't all want default Slayer or Slayer DMRs, it's a mix so we're going to support both gametypes and allow players to vote on them.

We're also keeping 2 frag starts across the board, but we've tweaked any grenade spawns on map to have only 1 grenade at any given location. Grenades are more powerful but with the increased movement settings you have more control to avoid them.

Grenades are not the only modifications we've made to the maps. There were some major inconsistencies in the weapon layouts, respawn times and powerups which we have standardized across all maps. Some of them had MLG layouts or were using custom powerups. Once you have all played on the maps in the playlist I'll welcome your feedback for potential modifications in the future.

neclas

Photolysis said:
Either you're being really obtuse, or you're just trolling.

It is a magic ability.
Then you're an idiot.
And I'm the troll? I was trying to understand the AL hatred, but you clearly aren't going to explain it. I'm done here.

Tashi0106 said:
Ok guys I have a huge exclusive announcement to make. The first game 343 is putting out is Halo 3 for Windows Millenium Edition!! Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think some of you might be sleeping on the MLG playlist. Don't be scared, it's not all MLG Pros in there lol. Also the gametypes are the best Reach matchmaking has to offer. Well, v2 has some bogus filler nonsense like 1 flag and Reflection but other than that, it's gold. V3 also only makes it better. We have to wait for that though.

The MLG playlist settings are great in themselves but the lack of party restricitons is what makes it a no-go area for me in matchmaking. In a playlist that's so reliant on having mics and communicating, a team of four familiar with each other and all of the callouts should never be pitted against four randoms, it quite simply is non-sensical. Leave that to 'social' playlists; the MLG playlist is the complete antithesis of social style matchmaking. However, this is one that in all likelyhood won't change because it was MLG not Bungie who requested there be no party restrictions.

Also, on the armorlock debate, whoever it was in the studio that came up with the idea, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fi39picsYo#t=7m55s

should have been the reaction from the rest of the employees

wwm0nkey said:
30if4b9.jpg

So anyone want to guess when they will announce Halo 3 PC? Really do hope they get a good devloper this time around and make it a GOOD port unlike Halo 2 Vista which requires you to use a controller because KB+M support sucks. Oh also custom resolution and more than 8x AA and actually have AF support as well.

Whoa, wait a minute, what's that picture of?

Raide

Long shot I know but does anyone have a spare Defiant code for a friend of mine. I thought I would give it a bit of time so the GAF regulars can get their codes first. Cheers!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
thee henery said:
The MLG playlist settings are great in themselves but the lack of party restricitons is what makes it a no-go area for me in matchmaking. In a playlist that's so reliant on having mics and communicating, a team of four familiar with each other and all of the callouts should never be pitted against four randoms, it quite simply is non-sensical. Leave that to 'social' playlists; the MLG playlist is the complete antithesis of social style matchmaking. However, this is one that in all likelyhood won't change because it was MLG not Bungie who requested there be no party restrictions.

Yea that is a bummer. It's not a killer for me though. I think what's actually worse is that because there are no ranks, a lot of people don't really give a shit about the match. If things aren't going their way, they'll just quit out. A lot of people are also in party chat or just don't have their mics at all. With v3 coming out there's a restriction of 1 player per Xbox in the MLG playlist. So no guests. That should help out a little. I don't really run into guests that much though to be honest.

While I don't mind absolutely playing against a party of 4 with randoms, I do mind not playing other parties of 4 when I'm in a party of 4. At a certain point people basically know the gametypes well. They know the weapon spawn times, where to run flag and some basic spawns.

Ramirez

Man, this game is really just unplayable by yourself, throw all of the games problems into a basket PLUS a bunch of random idiots, disastrous results. Just tried Invasion for like the first time in months, I'm the only guy even trying to protect the core as it sits on the steps below the cap point, ugh, meanwhile people are back at the garage waiting on the Scorpion to spawn.

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
Man, this game is really just unplayable by yourself, throw all of the games problems into a basket PLUS a bunch of random idiots, disastrous results. Just tried Invasion for like the first time in months, I'm the only guy even trying to protect the core as it sits on the steps below the cap point, ugh, meanwhile people are back at the garage waiting on the Scorpion to spawn.
Its in every game randoms are always bad.

Weird though, didn't seem that bad in Halo 2, even for objectives.

Blueblur1

Dani said:
Re-posting my response here here since you seem to spread bullshit like a Bnet Forum PRO.

WTF are you smoking?

It shows a picture of the Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy logo right next to the Halo 3 logo. Sins is exclusive to Impulse, a rival service to MS and Live as it was funded by Stardock, the company that owns and runs Impulse.

Sins being on Live is never going to happen and neither is Halo 3 PC. The whole video is just a big mock-up.

Don't starting making shit up about anything being confirmed when it's clearly not the case.

Even if there's a chance in hell Halo 3 does get released on PC in future, this isn't confirmation. It's a mock-up.

Go peddle some poop to Kotaku.
^That's a bit much.

Striker

Hey You said:
Some more info on the classic playlist front:

Pistol/AR, which I expected.

And Team Rifles returns. Assuming you'll spawn with DMR and there'll be DMR, NR, and one Sniper on the map. Team Rifles on Colossus and Terminal was fucking fantastic. Should be good on maps like Rockout (lol) and Hydro (Damnation).

Tashi0106 said:
Ok guys I have a huge exclusive announcement to make. The first game 343 is putting out is Halo 3 for Windows Millenium Edition!! Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think some of you might be sleeping on the MLG playlist. Don't be scared, it's not all MLG Pros in there lol. Also the gametypes are the best Reach matchmaking has to offer. Well, v2 has some bogus filler nonsense like 1 flag and Reflection but other than that, it's gold. V3 also only makes it better. We have to wait for that though.

I'll pick it up again when v3 drops, especially with the king gametypes. Whenever I play now its just slayer and flag on sanctuary, slayer and flag on countdown, and slayer on zealot (I don't like zealot). Not enough variety at this point. I will play with v3 though, especially with Retroactive and Android in the playlist (both better than Nexus IMO, although Element is awesome).

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Bad Company 2 says Hi :lol

Really though Halo: Reach and Bad Company 2 are the worst with randoms.
Bulletstorm too

Hitting up matchmaking with bluethunder, send an invite if you wanna play with us

Wait, what is the point of 110 damage in the classic playlist if their isn't going to be Needle Rifle starts. That doesn't make any sense to me, the DMR and Mag will still be 5 sk, so all it really does is make grenades, rockets, sniper, and automatic weapons more powerful.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Wait, what is the point of 110 damage in the classic playlist if their isn't going to be Needle Rifle starts. That doesn't make any sense to me, the DMR and Mag will still be 5 sk, so all it really does is make grenades, rockets, sniper, and automatic weapons more powerful.
The base gametype will be AR/Magnum starts but there will also be a Rifles gametype featuring DMR/NR starts.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think that's all because of the mentality of gaming these days. Now you're rewarded like 60 different medals for killing people. KDR and stat pages have gotten so much focus. I think they really shouldn't count kills for those objective games. I'm sure it would still attract people looking for easy kills, but it might also deter some others.

Btw, they need to remove the AR from the classic playlist if the damage modifiers are going to be so high there.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Its in every game randoms are always bad.

Weird though, didn't seem that bad in Halo 2, even for objectives.
I met most of my online friends in Team Skirmish and BTB. :lol

Battlefield BC has idiots who just want to snipe. Thankfully I didn't take that game seriously and try to win all the time. I just tried having fun.

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
I met most of my online friends in Team Skirmish and BTB. :lol

Battlefield BC has idiots who just want to snipe. Thankfully I didn't take that game seriously and try to win all the time. I just tried having fun.
Love Bad Company 2 but yeah its full of idiots who think they can snipe.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
The AL debate on this page made me want to make that AL video even more. It might actually happen now.
Its more of AA's in general than AL.

Weird though, there will probably be A LOT less talk about AA's after the 29th.

GhaleonEB

Like the first iteration of Highlands, Unearthed is a good core design that is really held back by implementation. Beachhead has a Rocket Hog, Mongoose and Ghost on it for players to use. Unearthed, a map specifically built for vehicular mayhem, has a lone Rocket Hog. That means it's very limited in how Score Attack plays out - can't use a vehicle solo - and the Rocket Hog is a very un-fun vehicle to use. I have had a video cooking for 48 hours on b.net that won't render which makes this point for me which I'll post when it hopefully gets done.

Even then, because the Hog is the only vehicle on the map, brawls break out on every Limited game on Unearthed over it. This should have been foreseen.

Just as the power weapon and timers need tweaking on Highlands for it to play better, so too does Unearthed need tweaking. But the sad thing is, it won't (and apparently, can't). I like the map design a great deal, but I don't understand the decision making that led to the anemic vehicle load out on it. It undercuts the intent of the map a great deal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Steelyuhas said:
I'll pick it up again when v3 drops, especially with the king gametypes. Whenever I play now its just slayer and flag on sanctuary, slayer and flag on countdown, and slayer on zealot (I don't like zealot). Not enough variety at this point. I will play with v3 though, especially with Retroactive and Android in the playlist (both better than Nexus IMO, although Element is awesome).
Interesting. I wish the playlist was just the 11 Pro Circuit gametypes.

Yay 2 types of AR Magnum and Rifles in Classic ! Another thing to argue over! Good job not being able to make a fucking decision Bungie.

And wwm0nkey its true, randoms didn't bring you down as much in Halo 2 because you could be a god in H2 with all the low reload times (YY) and BXR's beating kids smg/meleeing you. Then they made foolproof AR kills and incredibly long scoping/reloading/beatdown/nade times to remove all skill from their game. Time Units and all.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:

It will talk about on all the AA's, but with a focus on Armor Lock as the worst offender.

Toddler

GhaleonEB said:
Like the first iteration of Highlands, Unearthed is a good core design that is really held back by implementation. Beachhead has a Rocket Hog, Mongoose and Ghost on it for players to use. Unearthed, a map specifically built for vehicular mayhem, has a lone Rocket Hog. That means it's very limited in how Score Attack plays out - can't use a vehicle solo - and the Rocket Hog is a very un-fun vehicle to use. I have had a video cooking for 48 hours on b.net that won't render which makes this point for me which I'll post when it hopefully gets done.

Even then, because the Hog is the only vehicle on the map, brawls break out on every Limited game on Unearthed over it. This should have been foreseen.

Just as the power weapon and timers need tweaking on Highlands for it to play better, so too does Unearthed need tweaking. But the sad thing is, it won't (and apparently, can't). I like the map design a great deal, but I don't understand the decision making that led to the anemic vehicle load out on it. It undercuts the intent of the map a great deal.
Why is that?

Ramirez

Trasher said:

True, probably my most hated thing about the game is how you can't really dominate matches unless the other kids are just terrible, and even then they'll get their 5 or so lucky random nade kills and sprint beatdowns in.

wwm0nkey said:

Yea, just more complaints about how classic doesn't really play like classic Halo at all. I get that you guys need something to look forward to, but the classic settings don't change a lot of the games problems, and introduce some more to rage over like even more powerful explosives, can't wait! I also know deep down that probably every map in the playlist will be plagued with spawning issues like every other Forge map in existence.

Crucio

Guys look at this message I just got on Live:"M2AF IM CASHING I SOLD THIS FOR A FEW THOUSAND HAD TO TAKE THE CASH C-YA AROUND"

He proceeds to say in voice: "Basicaly I decided to sell my account, its been fun(blah blah), I'm probably gonna make a new one sometime but not right now, cus I'm going ona shopping spree. Cya!"

Who is the nutcase that payed 3 thousand for a Xbox Live account!??! Take a look: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=HANDYDARKNESS&sg=0

Toddler

Crucio said:
Guys look at this message I just got on Live:"M2AF IM CASHING I SOLD THIS FOR A FEW THOUSAND HAD TO TAKE THE CASH C-YA AROUND"
He proceeds to say in voice: "Basicaly I decided to sell my account, its been fun(blah blah), I'm probably gonna make a new one sometime but not right now, cus I'm going ona shopping spree. Cya!"

Who is the nutcase that payed 3 thousand for a Xbox Live account!??!
WUT

Is M2AF the gamertag? I could see someone with money to burn wanting a tag that they feels really represents them.

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
True, probably my most hated thing about the game is how you can't really dominate matches unless the other kids are just terrible, and even then they'll get their 5 or so lucky random nade kills and sprint beatdowns in.

Yea, just more complaints about how classic doesn't really play like classic Halo at all. I get that you guys need something to look forward to, but the classic settings don't change a lot of the games problems, and introduce some more to rage over like even more powerful explosives, can't wait! I also know deep down that probably every map in the playlist will be plagued with spawning issues like every other Forge map in existence.
The explosives aren't as bad as they where in the first version of the settings.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
343i needs to drop the Rocket Hog from anything and everything Halo. Classic Hog for MP and Gauss Hog for any campaign sections that need a bit more oomph.

Crucio said:

Who is the nutcase that payed 3 thousand for a Xbox Live account!??! Take a look: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=HANDYDARKNESS&sg=0

With the shit going on in the world right now, some idiot used 3 grand to buy a fucking gamer profile?

That's it, someone just wipe out the human race right the fuck now.

wwm0nkey

randomlyrossy said:
With the shit going on in the world right now, some idiot used 3 grand to buy a fucking gamer profile?

That's it, someone just wipe out the human race right the fuck now.
I will help with that cause.

Top Bottom