• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Plywood said:
Halo 4/Dark Planetoid/Chief Returns/Whatever should first and foremost accommodate the actual fans of the game, because the casual player will play the game regardless of how it plays.

Having two different play styles will only garner idiotic debates as to which is better "Style 1 is better, you suck." "No style 2 is." /shit-flinging

Then it would splinter the player population and eventually one style would end up the more dominant and that would just the cause the remaining players of the other style to flock to the dominant style, just so they can get a game going. Which would then result in the all of the Style whatever playlist getting dumped or receiving no attention. So it's better to just have one style/feel and the game would be more balanced as a result of only one style/feel having been fine tuned.

And seeing as the majority of Halo diehards preferred Halo 2/3 I think it should be clear as to what we're asking for and should be getting from the next game.
I dont know it seems like every Halo game that comes out people will bitch about it not being like the last one. Well atleast the b.net forums but that is a terrible place in the first place.

Halo 2 "Its not enough like Halo 1"
Halo 3 "Its not like Halo 3 I want my good BR!"
Halo: Reach "Armor LOCK!" (this one is justified)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:
I dont know it seems like every Halo game that comes out people will bitch about it not being like the last one. Well atleast the b.net forums but that is a terrible place in the first place.

Halo 2 "Its not enough like Halo 1"
Halo 3 "Its not like Halo 3 I want my good BR!"
Halo: Reach "Armor LOCK!" (this one is justified)
The BR in Halo 2 was a great replacement for H1's pistol. Also a lot of people loved Halo 2 when they didn't get bridged/modded/standbyed/lag, etc. Did you forget that Halo 2 was the reason XBL even made money in the first place?

Halo 3's BR deserved all the flak it received considering it was not hitscan and had its spread issues online.

And Halo: Reach plays very differently from it's predecessors.

Lastly ODSTs Scoped-SMG > Reach AR.

Plywood said:
The BR in Halo 2 was a great replacement for H1's pistol. Also a lot of people loved Halo 2 when they didn't get bridged/modded/standbyed/lag, etc. Did you forget that Halo 2 was the reason XBL even made money in the first place?

Halo 3's BR deserved all the flak it received considering it was not hitscan and had its spread issues online.

And Halo: Reach plays very differently from it's predecessors.

Lastly ODSTs Scoped-SMG > Reach AR.

Funny thing is now all I remember about mods and standby is it was annoying but it couldn't stop me from playing the game. It was that good

Thats what happens when you have rock solid gameplay mechanics

And proper sudden death... and flag games... and bomb games... and flag and bomb fast games... and maps

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
Yo dawg the scoped SMG wasn't even more useful than ODST's AR.
It still cool tho.

Also you could walk normally with the turret in ODST but in Reach and 3 you walk slow as molasses. What is the meaning of this!?
Lead Based Paint said:
And proper sudden death... and flag games... and bomb games... and flag and bomb fast games... and maps
I knew from the moment I heard of and then subsequently played Headhunter it was going to suck. :|

Plywood said:
It still cool tho.

Also you could walk normally with the turret in ODST but in Reach and 3 you walk slow as molasses. What is the meaning of this!?

Unobtainium turret bro

Plywood said:
It still cool tho.

I knew from the moment I heard of and then subsequently played Headhunter it was going to suck. :|

My thought process was:

"Well at least if their new gametypes sucks well still have the greatest objective fps gametypes on the console to play with...."

You see how well that turned out.

Am I ever gonna get an answer regarding sudden death?

Plywood said:
Gameplay > Canon

I can't wait for the new gametypes in the April playlist update... so we have something new to nitpick and complain about... :^D

wwm0nkey

Lead Based Paint said:
Funny thing is now all I remember about mods and standby is it was annoying but it couldn't stop me from playing the game. It was that good

Thats what happens when you have rock solid gameplay mechanics

Well even then I only got modded or ect after level 35.

Also yeah I really did enjoy objective games in Halo 2.

Mentioned this in customs but Headlong assault and 1 flag was amazing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lead Based Paint said:
He was being a dick and thought it was funny since he had nothing of value to say.

Edit: unless its an inside joke and i'm not cool enough to know it.

Ouch

Willeth

Plywood said:
I remember asking this before launch and Ghal having a huge response, something about how the Say My Name was built later into the run of freighters and therefore had turrets that were made out of much more lightweight materials, and therefore it wasn't unfeasible that Earth had these turrets also, especially at ONI/military installations.

I still agree that they should have been lugging them around and popping them on cover Mulcher-style, but he was very convincing. :lol

EDIT: It wasn't Ghaleon, it was Vociferous, who's now working at 343:

Mr Vociferous said:
No worries, dude. :)

And believe you me, I have no small room in my head for things I'm 'thinking too hard about it' when it comes to Halo. I just have found out that sometimes, the things I enjoy most are the things which aren't entirely practical or believable. But hell, this one's for you Willeth - a pair of few-sentence explanations which I think could quickly ratify this gameplay element, even though I think no explanations are needed:

1) The version of weapon in Halo 3 is different than the one in Halo 3: ODST, even if by the narrowest of visual perceptions. Halo 3's AIE-486H, the ones found in Voi and on Forward Unto Dawn, for example, are six years old and weigh 73 kg's, whereas the ones in ODST just came off the assembly lines of the Misriah Armory and are presently outfitted in Mombasa and on the fleet led by Say My Name are far lighter, only weight 57 kg's - they are skunkwork prototypes, years away from full production and utilizing a new metal alloy mined and developed on Io. This weapon and the stationary M247 GPMG are the only ones which were present in New Mombasa's city during its Covenant occupation.

and/or

2) This particular contingent of ODST units participating in operations in conjunction with Say My Name have been taking D92 - a chemical which allows for sustained duress and improves short-term muscle functionality. This is a steroid stimulant developed by Traxus Heavy Industries through a chemical bonding of a synthetic ringed-carbon compound embedded in guarana and acai extract, not that much different from the molecular structure of the formula used on the existing Spartans-II units. Before 2538, this stimulant was not legal for civilian use and in fact was restricted even from most military personnel. Late in that year, the UNSC overwrote the policies behind this mandate when Traxus was able to develop a barbiturate which, when taken in small doses, counteracts all negative effects the drug and requires no genetic augmentation, as with the S-II's. Traxus' original intent was not for military contracts, but to aid off-planet mining and shipping personnel with the lifting and manipulation of products. ODST's have historically objected to taking such chemicals, but after the events of Reach almost two months earlier, some ethical philosophies have changed.

wwm0nkey

I really want to see how the community will react to the new playlists on the 29th. For the most part it really does have something everyone will love in it.

Oh also I will try to be less annoying about Halo 2 XBLA guys :)

GhaleonEB

Willeth said:
I remember asking this before launch and Ghal having a huge response, something about how the Say My Name was built later into the run of freighters and therefore had turrets that were made out of much more lightweight materials, and therefore it wasn't unfeasible that Earth had these turrets also, especially at ONI/military installations.

I still agree that they should have been lugging them around and popping them on cover Mulcher-style, but he was very convincing. :lol

I was about to say, before the edit, that was Voc.

Though I maintain Voc was hired by Frankie 1) to write Dark Planetoid Rising, 2) because of his choice of hairstyle and 3) to get Frankie coffee. In no particular order of importance.

My real response to the ODST turret: it's a game. ODST had a very slow base movement speed, and reducing it further when lugging a turret around would be too slow. Because it's a game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Willeth said:

That's great and all but having canon be consistent with gameplay is just lame.
GhaleonEB said:
My real response to the ODST turret: it's a game. ODST had a very slow base movement speed, and reducing it further when lugging a turret around would be too slow. Because it's a game.
I barely see anyone if ever even bother lugging the turrets around in Reach, same with Halo 3. I'm sure it's in part because of how slow people move when carrying it.

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
Use the vid neoism posted, get it done quick then I'll play some matchmaking with you.

Son, that way takes even more time than when we were getting the latest daily on that map

Foo'!

neoism

wwm0nkey said:
No I hate the CoD games (except for CoD2)

Im not saying make it twitch based im saying bring the kill times and speed more to Halo 1 and Halo 2 pace rather than slow both down to a crawl.
lol that is weird. I feel the opposite. I haven't played H2 in a long time. But for me Reach has the best and quickest game-play. Not kill wise, but game-play wise. But we obviously have 2 different views about halo in general Halo 2 is my least favorite game in the series.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
I clicked on the video and saw it was a 12-minute LASO run for Tip of the Spear. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, since I closed it because I want to do it the hard/normal way. Half the fun of these runs are all the "oh shit, what now!?" moments.

(Except for Nightfall, which I hate with a passion on Legendary. Breezed right through it when that one came up.)

J-Roderton

Came back to Reach last night for the first time since like January. Figured I'd drop by the thread like I usually do after I quit playing for a while. I'm digging the challenges. I see they finally changed things up a bit. Also, are the Defiant maps worth it? I haven't done much research on it yet.

MrBig

Jroderton said:
Came back to Reach last night for the first time since like January. Figured I'd drop by the thread like I usually do after I quit playing for a while. I'm digging the challenges. I see they finally changed things up a bit. Also, are the Defiant maps worth it? I haven't done much research on it yet.
It gives you one good multiplayer map if that's all you're after.
Highlands is fantastic.
The firefight map is fantastic.
Condemned is pretty much reach's orbital.

Striker

Jroderton said:
Both Noble and the Defiant packs have released pretty damn good maps. I would recommend.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
It does if you suck.

*Weekly finished*
Ugh, shit sucks. The first AA you take out, I get the Objective to take it out, I damage it just like in the video drive off, wait for the pelican to drop the bridge and nothing happens, drive back and receive the same objective now with a tip telling me "hey you can damage it!" so then I have to fucking shoot it again, only this time a pack of grunts are waiting to shoot the shit out of me.

askdlnaslndknas

I'm also getting enemies spawning at places they weren't spawning for him, like at the first AA there's a group of jackals waiting for me to drive up. :|

edit: Apparently those very same jackals are running off away from him but staying for me.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Highlands is fantastic.
Curious to hear what people's thoughts are on this one. I haven't played Condemned enough to get a solid opinion, but so far I think it's okay. The geometry is too cluttered but the overall design makes sense, which is more than can be said of Orbital.

Jroderton said:
Nope.

Is it really only 2 MP maps and 1 FF?
Yes. I would recommend, with reservations.

neoism

MrBig said:
Highlands is fantastic.
lololol agreed... don't like it all that much . :/

Striker

Orbital was fucking horrible.

At least Condemned, so far, hasn't been such a cluttered mess. I only have played so far 1-CTF and 1-Bomb on it.

Tawpgun

It's just far too confusing and not intuitive at all. After Zealot you'd think they'd learn that circular maps are boring unless they have a huge power area in the middle. And not rocket spawn in a low g deathtrap.

What's even worse is they didn't even include doors or shield doors to block off parts of condemned. Remember when Avalanche and Blackout had their own doors?

It would be an interesting map if you could limit combat to a few rooms.

Also, LASO TOTS progress...

Solo Run, following the guide but its gone to shit now. SOMEHOW managed to make the zealot glitch out, letting me take his shields down and land the killin- FUCK I DIDN'T EXPECT HIM TO MOVE. No DMR bullets, he rushes me, I rush him, and end up pummeling him to death somehow. No elite super roundhouse. Thank God.

So then I take care of the 2 jackals up there and I'm about to continue when all of a sudden ULTRA OUT OF NOWHERE. I cower like its my job. Then I notice he's sitting next to one of those gas tanks. Hell yes. I get his shields a little low and then blow the gas tank. It didn't kill him. But it did knock him off the platform. WORKS FOR ME.

Now I'm on the revenant part with full shields but red. This right here is probably the hardest part. 2nd AA gun.

GhaleonEB said:
Curious to hear what people's thoughts are on this one. I haven't played Condemned enough to get a solid opinion, but so far I think it's okay. The geometry is too cluttered but the overall design makes sense, which is more than can be said of Orbital.

It is certainly no Orbital in my opinion. It is a solid map, not a poor one, but not great either. I like the objective games I have played on it, but slayer usually ends up with most of the combat in the center core because the map is so huge that going there is the only way to find people at times.

Jroderton said:
From the video I just watched the outdoor map, I'm assuming Highlands or, whatever it's called, looks like a BTB map. I like that.

Highlands is a great map. Feels like a classic BTB map.

Also, you have the best avatar.

Top Bottom