• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Karl2177 said:
Call me crazy, but I like the Invasion maps for the most part. If there were a few small tweaks, I'd be inclined to play it more often.

While, I'm on the Invasion talk, I finally got "Totally Worth It" tonight. The name is a lie. I sacrificed winning a game so I could throw a grenade near my feet to grab a double while the objective timer was at 1.

Boneyard has grown on me, but I really don't like Spire. I love Breakpoint however, second phase is great.

Even with that though, I feel that the maps are usually the cause of some of the annoying things in Invasion (Still enjoy the gametype).

Hey You

wwm0nkey said:
I kind of want a tier objective game, like Invasion but actually good.

Phase 1- Get 25 kills and to get a bomb
Phase 2- Arm bomb at base to reveal enemy flag
Phase 3- Capture Flag which limits enemy lives to 1
Phase 4- Kill them all.
That's a good idea. You should recommend that in the Optimatch forum.

Has anyone watched the hate speech research video from the Singapore-MIT Gambit Game Lab?

It's not a shocking revelation that hate speech spews like a frothy cauldron over Xbox Live. But hearing it and knowing it came from people who play Reach makes me sad.

I'm not a minority citizen of the U.S. I'm not a member of the LGBT community. I don't have first-hand experience with this level of racist, homophobic, derogatory slander.

But people shouldn't have to use Mute All, stick to Party Chat or deal with this level of disrespect because of their race, religion or lifestyle. It's common human decency.

This makes me want to get a 48-hour account and hear this for myself.

Edit: To be fair, the group set the chat preference to rowdy.

vhfive

wwm0nkey said:
DONE

If you actually like the idea you should support it guys :)
pretty sure there can't be 4 tiers to invasion.

On a side note this link got me to realize that Bungie is using the bungle avatar I made for that star challenge (even though I didn't get a star). I can now have my Bnet and GAF avatar match. :)

vhfive said:

On a side note this link got me to realize that Bungie is using the bungle avatar I made for that star challenge (even though I didn't get a star). I can now have my Bnet and GAF avatar match. :)

Yeah I think your right, I think it has to be three.

Kibbles

I had a great game of Highlands CTF today. Got all 3 flag captures, the 2nd one was fantastic. After a successful first run, me and a friend drive back to the enemy base on mongoose. I get out and get the flag, he picks me up and he starts driving into the cave along the waterfall side when we see an enemy on radar and coming up the stairs foiling our plan. So we turn around quickly, start driving back and out of nowhere this enemy Warthog comes flying in, right on our tail as we drive around the back of their base to make a run on the right side along the downed pelican side. High speed chase ensues and there is an enemy near the Plasma Launcher spawn with a Rocket Launcher and a Spartan Laser. He fires at us, but the delay in the rocket knocks and damages the Warthog a bit, but it's still going, and a follow-up rocket blows up in front of the warthog again. I'm looking backwards the whole on from the back of the mongoose and I see the Spartan Laser start charging up as our mongoose prepares to leap over a hill near our side. As we come back down and see the Warthog start to fly up in the air, the enemy laser hits and destroys the Warthog tailing us. :D Good stuff. I might capture it sometime tomorrow or whenever I have time to setup all my stuff.

I have a LAN this coming weekend. I get a strong impression that we'll choose to play Halo 3 over Reach....

Or even Halo 2!! That should work over LAN right? I've got a Multiplayer Map Pack Disc, so I can distribute them for everyone. :)

So excited. Gonna book at least the Friday off (and the Monday to recover!)...and hell, probably a half day on Thursday just so I can get the LAN roon setup.

12 of us squeezed into one room for 3 days. It's going to smell fresh in there. :)

Hitmonchan107 said:
Has anyone watched the hate speech research video from the Singapore-MIT Gambit Game Lab?

It's not a shocking revelation that hate speech spews like a frothy cauldron over Xbox Live. But hearing it and knowing it came from people who play Reach makes me sad.

I'm not a minority citizen of the U.S. I'm not a member of the LGBT community. I don't have first-hand experience with this level of racist, homophobic, derogatory slander.

But people shouldn't have to use Mute All, stick to Party Chat or deal with this level of disrespect because of their race, religion or lifestyle. It's common human decency.

I sometimes get hate directed at me being Cuban, usually telling me to go back to my country.

Then I remind them that it's their government that allows us refugee status when we reach American soil in our banana boats... xD

Kibbles said:
.... As we come back down and see the Warthog start to fly up in the air, the enemy laser hits and destroys the Warthog tailing us. :D Good stuff. I might capture it sometime tomorrow or whenever I have time to setup all my stuff.

A good video could come out of that :)

Karl2177

Sikamikanico said:
I have a LAN this coming weekend. I get a strong impression that we'll choose to play Halo 3 over Reach....

Or even Halo 2!! That should work over LAN right? I've got a Multiplayer Map Pack Disc, so I can distribute them for everyone. :)

So excited. Gonna book at least the Friday off (and the Monday to recover!)...and hell, probably a half day on Thursday just so I can get the LAN roon setup.

12 of us squeezed into one room for 3 days. It's going to smell fresh in there. :)
Funny thing about Halo 2, you can still go online and get the patches. Otherwise if you have someone who hasn't cleared their cache since April 2010, they can't play with someone who has just the MP disc. I found this out at one of my recent LANs, because 3 or 4 people showed up wanting to play Halo 2, so I gave them all the MP disc, and they could find each other in system link but not me. Sent 'em online in Halo 2, and they grabbed the latest patch immediately.

Karl2177 said:
You have to do that before you can install the maps. The latest one is 1.5(I think).

The way Halo 2 LAN works is that if host has the 1.5 update, everyone plays by the host box's update "rules".

Use the disc to give everyone the 1.1 update and the maps, then have someone with 1.5 or 1.1 host the game.

Karl2177 said:
Funny thing about Halo 2, you can still go online and get the patches. Otherwise if you have someone who hasn't cleared their cache since April 2010, they can't play with someone who has just the MP disc. I found this out at one of my recent LANs, because 3 or 4 people showed up wanting to play Halo 2, so I gave them all the MP disc, and they could find each other in system link but not me. Sent 'em online in Halo 2, and they grabbed the latest patch immediately.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Hitmonchan107 said:

Mmh. When I'm reading this, I think that the analyse isn't really trustable. In such analyse, there should be more games than only one. They should try out games like Call Of Duty, Battlefield, too. Maybe Reach will get bad word-of-mouth recommendation now. Otherwise if they had chosen Call of Duty as their test object, Activision would definitely sue them.

Btw. I really like these weekly. If I only had more, I would try to get the cR. Would be nice, if Bungie has a method to do a challenge like "Get a 1,000,000score in Firefight Classic". And the challenge would be impossible, if you change any of the settings.

In Invasion, what do you guys think about defenders going up on the pipes above the objectives on Boneyard in the first phase?

I used to think it was cheap, but now that I've adapted I'm fine with it.

The Real Napsta said:
In Invasion, what do you guys think about defenders going up on the pipes above the objectives on Boneyard in the first phase?

I used to think it was cheap, but now that I've adapted I'm fine with it.

Its fucked up, you can even get on to the roof and shoot down at people coming up the stairs on the left entrance, have a guy in the room finishing anyone lucky enough to get past the stairs and you got that shit covered pretty well, considering they don't really have shit to hit you with besides a couple needler rifles. Me and MonolityGuy figured that stuff out, he showed me how to get up those pipes.

Of course if they were even to add barriers to stop it it would take them 4 months, by then they will have dropped and forgotten about it anyways. So yea,

I just popped in Halo 2 because I wanted to see if my maps still worked. So yes, they did but damn does it just make me sad that Reach doesn't have maps like these. Everything about them is just so good. No Forge World remake will ever capture the beauty of Sanctuary. Seriously, just give it a proper remake. The rundown, alien style of Halo 2's maps is also so much more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than Reach's boring human maps.

Also, has there been any word on if the Classic Playlist will have Reflection with Shotty and Overshield restored to their original spots?

GhaleonEB said:
Should be much more than 13k. :\

Seriously lol.

That level on just legendary took me too long to every want to play it by myself again and they want all skulls on?!

How about 100k credits? And If you say all of the challenges are locked in and you can't change the credit payout :mad:

I wonder how customizable/forgeable the new Action Sack gametypes will be. I can definitely see the customs community making a PacMan gametype out of SpeedFlag.

I wonder what other gametypes Bungie could add... think we'll ever see something like Conquest/Rush from Team Fortress 2 /Battlefield?
What about making Reach even more class-based, where different loadouts have different run speeds, health, damage, etc. I think that would be cool, but only if weapon pickup was turned off.

So...I'm just getting in to playing Reach, even though I've had it for awhile. It's been in my backlog of shame, coming from someone who played hundreds of hours of Halo 3.

Anyway, Invasion has been one of my favorite game types since I played in the beta, but unless I'm wrong, I need to buy the DLC to really get more than 2 maps, right? I'm not against this since the amount of shipping maps is a bit low to begin with.

Other than that, am I correct in believing that there is no way to play Firefight Vs. right now (besides customs?)

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Anyway, Invasion has been one of my favorite game types since I played in the beta, but unless I'm wrong, I need to buy the DLC to really get more than 2 maps, right? I'm not against this since the amount of shipping maps is a bit low to begin with.
Yes, regular Invasion is only available on Boneyard and Spire (currently). Buying the Noble Map Pack adds Breakpoint (which is arguably the best Invasion map).
The Invasion playlist also has a few extra maps for Invasion Slayer (e.g. Hemorrhage).

I wonder if they'll ever add Community-made Invasion maps. I can imagine testing for those takes much longer than the Slayer maps.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes, regular Invasion is only available on Boneyard and Spire (currently). Buying the Noble Map Pack adds Breakpoint (which is arguably the best Invasion map).
The Invasion playlist also has a few extra maps for Invasion Slayer (e.g. Hemorrhage).

I wonder if they'll ever add Community-made Invasion maps. I can imagine testing for those takes much longer than the Slayer maps.

I would have done it for free to little pizza

GhaleonEB

TotS is likely going to be a 2 hour + run, but I can probably do it on a weeknight with my kid this week if we plan ahead for it, perhaps tomorrow night. As with the others, I'm not going to look at a guide, I think it will be more fun that way, and I'd like to run through with someone else who hasn't. (Nutter? Dax? Let's do this.) I'm guessing the Wraith after the first AA gun has a starring role. :lol

The payouts are escalating gradually:

Complete ONI, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO) | 11,000 cR

Complete Nightfall, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO) | 12,000 cR

Complete Tip of the Spear, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO) | 13,000 cR

The first mission was an oddball since Blind was enabled it was worth more. I shudder at the thought of Pillar of Autumn...gonna have to set aside an afternoon for that one.

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:

They had an invasion category in that forge contest they did but they seemingly refuse to add anything that actually won to matchmaking.

GhaleonEB said:
TotS is likely going to be a 2 hour + run, but I can probably do it on a weeknight with my kid this week if we plan ahead for it, perhaps tomorrow night. As with the others, I'm not going to look at a guide, I think it will be more fun that way, and I'd like to run through with someone else who hasn't. (Nutter? Dax? Let's do this.) I'm guessing the Wraith after the first AA gun has a starring role. :lol
Yeah man. Name the time and the place.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Yeah man. Name the time and the place.
I just remembered it's spring break, so my kid can stay up later on a weeknight. A bit after 6-ish tonight? (9:00 your time)
squidhands said:
I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that if you have room. :)
Right now it's just Dax, myself, and my daughter (she's done all the LASO runs with us so far). So yup, there's room. :)

My wife is going to be out of the house until ~5:30ish, then we'll do dinner and hop on. So 6:00 or shortly thereafter.

Striker

Barrow Roll said:
I just popped in Halo 2 because I wanted to see if my maps still worked. So yes, they did but damn does it just make me sad that Reach doesn't have maps like these. Everything about them is just so good. No Forge World remake will ever capture the beauty of Sanctuary. Seriously, just give it a proper remake. The rundown, alien style of Halo 2's maps is also so much more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than Reach's boring human maps.

Also, has there been any word on if the Classic Playlist will have Reflection with Shotty and Overshield restored to their original spots?
Haven't heard anything about Reflection, nor have I seen anything about an Ascension and Sanctuary maps built more accurately than Pinnacle and Asylum. Some used the "framerate issues" argument, but Jeremiah hasn't responded thoroughly.

I also suspect after the first couple weeks he'll evaluate the maps feedback and may add, remove, or replace some if need be. I can only hope the count on the maps in the playlist grows immensely.

Hey You

vhfive said:

I'm sure if Bungie wanted to do, they could script a new gametype to include more tiers.

Mojo said:
Aww, I wanted a FF weekly
Me too.

After they fix FF Arcade

So it seems like every second week we will get a LASO Weekly.

I don't think this has been brought up yet:
With the new Arena system, based on your wins and not individualy skill, wouldn't it be possible to ad objective gametypes to the Arena?
The current Arena looks a lot like Halo 3 rankings system, only instead of numbers, you get a division.
Ofcourse, this doesn't replaces Halo 3's ranking system, but it is a begin and my friends and I would love to have a somewhat ranked objective playlist, or MLG and maybe even Invasion.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Me too.

After they fix FF Arcade

So it seems like every second week we will get a LASO Weekly.
Aye, a FF is always nice. I keep hoping for a bonkers one with a huge payout, like "kill 5,000 Covenant in FF matchmaking" for 20k cR or something like that. But there have only been three FF weekly Challenges, so I've learned not to get my hopes up. Here are all he Weeklies so far:

ScreenHunter_06Mar211052.gif

By game mode:

Multiplayer | 12
Campaign | 10
Firefight | 3
Any | 3

The daily Challenges are roughly evenly split between MP and FF, so I keep hoping for the weekly ones to hit the same ratio. My idea cadence would be a LASO run alternating with FF and MP Challenges (LASO, MP, LASO, FF), but I understand that MP is the dominant game mode.

wwm0nkey

vhfive said:

With the stuff Bungie's editor can do I really have no idea :/

Top Bottom