• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Gui_PT said:
Let's go Bobs!

Hey, sorry something came up and I had to jump off the interwebz for a while, im back now but family are all on laptops. I really shouldnt commit to something that might take a few hours on a monday night either.
I hate working life
- If you dont do it with someone sooner im 100% up for it tomorow!

MrBig

condemned.jpg

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Hey, sorry something came up and I had to jump off the interwebz for a while, im back now but family are all on laptops. I really shouldnt commit to something that might take a few hours on a monday night either.
I hate working life
- If you dont do it with someone sooner im 100% up for it tomorow!

S'fine

I just killed the last elite by pushing him off of the spire with a perfectly placed grenade on one of those explosive covenant boxes.

That was awesome! Must clip it!

I played the maps quite a bit for the first time, and my real issue with Condemned is the framerate nosediving when you scope across the middle area.

Highlands is pretty baller, power weapon spam aside.

Gui_PT said:
S'fine

I just killed the last elite by pushing him off of the spire with a perfectly placed grenade on one of those explosive covenant boxes.

You did it without me, I hate you. :(

:p

I get the feeling im going to have to try and solo it on Sunday, with LASO though I will probably get to the final Elite only for him to kill me, over and over and over again. Restarting the whole mission would just suck.

Louis Wu said:
rofl

yeah, you got me, dude. Never played Halo or Halo 2. Never realized they were all about twitch gaming. Totally new to this Halo scene...

(The fact that you'd even SUGGEST that says maybe you're too young to have played REAL twitch games, like Quake...)
Your comment was ludicrous, saying that fast kills aren't a part of Halo games. I don't know how you expected me to respond. There is a difference between 3-4 shot kills and Call of Duty, a freaking huge difference. Don't try to play off that your comment even made a bit of sense. I guess I take offense to people saying go play another game when Halo:CE and Halo 2 were my games, the games that I loved with a passion. Now I'm stuck with this horseshit excuse for a Halo game and people acting like Reach is how Halo has always been.

Reach is just a cesspool of people dying instantly to power weapons and cheap armor abilities. Campers and whores of the power weapons is the name of the game in Reach. If the normal weapons were a little more powerful, or if maybe bloom didn't exist, there would be a way to counter all the power weapon/ armor ability bull shit in the game. But there's not. Instead, it's just a hopeless feeling while playing.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
Your comment was ludicrous, saying that fast kills aren't a part of Halo games. I don't know how you expected me to respond. There is a difference between 3-4 shot kills and Call of Duty, a freaking huge difference. Don't try to play off that your comment even made a bit of sense. I guess I take offense to people saying go play another game when Halo:CE and Halo 2 were my games, the games that I loved with a passion. Now I'm stuck with this horseshit excuse for a Halo game and people acting like Reach is how Halo has always been.

Reach is just a cesspool of people dying instantly to power weapons and cheap armor abilities. Campers and whores of the power weapons is the name of the game in Reach. If the normal weapons were a little more powerful, or if maybe bloom didn't exist, there would be a way to counter all the power weapon/ armor ability bull shit in the game. But there's not. Instead, it's just a hopeless feeling while playing.
You misinterpreted his statement. Chill out.

Gui_PT said:
S'fine

That last Elite tried rushing me so I just jet-packed up and he fell off the Spire. Pretty lulzy. So does that mean you're good to go for some matchmaking now?

Deputy Moonman said:

I agree with this and I really hope 343 is planning on taking Halo back to its roots, although I don't see how a different company can get back the old school feel. 343 might also decide to try they're own thing, in which case ill be dubious, im a fan of Halo of old. 'Halo' with a radically different feel would kill why I play Halo - which is why im not that fond of Reach. If 343 just do a sequel which ignores older Halo and sticks with the mechanics Reach introduced I will be sorely dissapointed.

Dont get me wrong, Reach is a good game, and no doubt 343's iteration of Halo will also be a good game. but I seriously doubt anything will come close to what Halo 1/ 2/ 3 had.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
Dont get me wrong, Reach is a good game, and no doubt 343's iteration of Halo will also be a good game. but I seriously doubt anything will come close to what Halo 1/ 2/ 3 had.
This is what people always say for EVERY SINGLE SEQUAL, to any game. They say they don't like the newest one. That the last one was great. That the next one will make everything better. Meanwhile I'm still playing Halo PC and looking forward to Bungie's original IP.

Willeth

Deputy Moonman said:

I've brought along my friend Anecdotal Evidence to support me in this conversation, because I've heard during the many self-help classes I've taken and re-runs of the Pick-Up Artist that having someone to back you up on your points is extremely useful in making a convincing argument.

You see, from what Anecdotal tells me, he's died a lot less in Reach to power weapons than he ever did in Halo 3. In fact, thanks to the nerfed laser, he's much more able to survive in his Warthog, and the only problem has been the sniper on Haemorrhage - and it's nothing compared to Standoff or Sandtrap Heavies.

The same things have happened to me, which of course confirm it outright.

Tawpgun

Ok HaloGAF. I need your professional opinion. I just got done with the 2nd AA gun. And see this.

zfoMy.jpg

I'm scared to even touch that thing. wat do?

Willeth

A27 Tawpgun said:
Ok HaloGAF. I need your professional opinion. I just got done with the 2nd AA gun. And see this.

zfoMy.jpg

I'm scared to even touch that thing. wat do?
You'll be fine if you get in the starboard side. The Shades are much easier to hit.

GhaleonEB said:
Curious to hear what people's thoughts are on this one. I haven't played Condemned enough to get a solid opinion, but so far I think it's okay. The geometry is too cluttered but the overall design makes sense, which is more than can be said of Orbital.

"Okay" seems a good description. I need to play it more but at this early stage it seems kind of mediocre. It's not a bad map, but it's not great either.

It doesn't feel like there's a classic in there waiting to come out with a few tweaks, which I get from Highlands.

MrBig said:
This is what people always say for EVERY SINGLE SEQUAL, to any game. They say they don't like the newest one. That the last one was great. That the next one will make everything better. Meanwhile I'm still playing Halo PC and looking forward to Bungie's original IP.

I understand what your saying, but my stance on that issue is that every Halo sequel has changed small things here and there, and while even I personally wasn't a fan of all of the small tweaks, the base gameplay was still profoundly Halo. There were enough improvements to make me think the newer release was better than the last. I still despised some of the smaller changes sometimes, but the sum of the parts all added up to a juicy Halo experience. When you really look at it, there were small complaints saying "oh the new maps suck", or "ah why did they replace the Pistol with this BR" - but ultimately people seemed happy to say that the core experience remained, albeit maybe watered down depending on who you talked to.

With Reach, it seems like Bungie really tried to reinvent the wheel. The gameplay has been changed from the ground up, and as such a lot of what defined classic Halo has been replaced. There was a article somewhere earlier which was all about good and bad sequels, and one of the points was something like 'taking what made the original and changing it just for the sake of change' - I cant help but feel that Bungie wanted to experiment with Reach and so took the Halo out of Halo.

Reach is a good game, and if it wasn't a Halo game and I knew that I was going to get my classic Halo fix elsewhere I wouldn't mind, but the fact that they have replaced old school Halo with Reach mechanics is a little frustrating. Halo was a pretty unique experience which is hard to find elsewhere, and so while Reach is good, I want old Halo back. As it stands the way I see it, we have classic Halo, and Reach Halo. Quite frankly classic Halo is why I play Halo and a sequel from 343 which follows the Reach formulae would be following this new style im not as much of a fan of.

BTW Your avatar has gone crazy dude!

Louis Wu

Plywood said:
Me:
sbrxc.jpg

Him:

0jnjS.png

Notice Wraith, Jackal, Grunt, plasma pistol ready to hit me.

fuuuuuuuuu
Yeah, the thing about his run is that he starts it out so quickly. Read his writeup for more details - but the key to why you're facing baddies at every turn that simply weren't there for him is because he went from cutscene to rocket hog in 35 seconds. And you probably didn't. :)

I tried running it once - I was a chunk slower, and I faced everything you're facing. You'd do better following Tyrant's writeup - it's slower, but oh so much safer. (plus, he deals with most of the crap you're seeing.)

RC Master's run is only worth following if you know what the hell you're doing. (And I don't mean that in an insulting way. That bit in the mining facility, where he bypasses a huge chunk of baddies by jumping down to some beams and running through the middle, without even slowing down? He's done that a hundred times, or more. I guarantee you, if you try to match his performance you will fall to your death more times than I have fingers and toes. Even taking it horribly slowly, it's STILL hard.)

Sai-kun

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
"If you enjoy shorter kill times, why not go play a game that caters to that." Did I just go into the twilight zone or something? This is Halo we're talking about here, right? My mind is blown. It's like people didn't even play Halo:CE or Halo2... You know! the games that were all about fast twitch reflexes and quick kills? Even then, a person could survive when they didn't get the first shot off... even if they made a mistake.

Halo has done such a massive 180 from Combat Evolved and Halo 2 that people can seriously come on a forum and say this kind of crap. FML This kind of stuff is when I know it's over. Halo will never be Halo again.

I could quote your tag but that would just be too easy.

:lol

Edit: I wanna so LASO :)

Deputy Moonman said:

10/10

neoism

Barrow Roll said:
I like Condemned, it's just takes a while to learn the layout.
It should have been a 4v4 map. As of now the skybox is better than the map itself. :/ highlands is worth it though. I had a few bad games on it at first but it's most definitely the best BTB map in REACH ( properly made map lol :p )

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:

Weren't you going to light your disc on fire, or microwave it, or take a shit on it or something? 'Cause you should probably follow up on that rather than play a game you obviously dislike then shit up the thread by being an asshole to someone for stating an opinion, it'd do both yourself and us a favor.

feel

that's a sweet capture tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
Condemned is much better than Orbital. That's a silly statement.
Agreed, though if you read it in Ron Fucking Swanson's voice it kinda becomes an irrefutable statement.

vhfive said:
If this thread was a contest on how much Halo 2 cock one could gobble then monkey would win hands down.
haha

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
I agree with this and I really hope 343 is planning on taking Halo back to its roots, although I don't see how a different company can get back the old school feel. 343 might also decide to try they're own thing, in which case ill be dubious, im a fan of Halo of old. 'Halo' with a radically different feel would kill why I play Halo - which is why im not that fond of Reach. If 343 just do a sequel which ignores older Halo and sticks with the mechanics Reach introduced I will be sorely dissapointed.

As long as they make it feel a little new. I don't want a new Halo feeling like I've played it before. One of the reasons it is so popular is because its been a little different ever time. If Halo 2 3 and Reach played like 1 Halo would have been dead a long time ago. I'm not sure I care anyway. I'm really looking forward to bungie thang more than 343s anyway. I do want to play as MC again some day. But I'm ready for the new hotness. Not a game that feels 10 years old. IT doesn't matter if 343 listens to most fans pleads, there are going to want to include something of there own, something the defines H4. Your not going to get a H2/H3. The good thing is they do have all the feed back from 4 games, and I hope they include the best of everything from every game to make it the best halo ever made. I'm not one to think that H1 or H2 defines the series, fuck that. Every Halo game is the definition of the series in its own right. I understand some hate the direction that Reach made, and I'm glad its my favorite, I'd hate to be as big as a fan as I am and not love it. That's probably why I dislike Classic. It feel like the old stuff, and I've played the shit out of it. If I wait to play a game like 2/or H3 I'll play them. I'm still looking forward to playing some Classic in MM, because most of yous Gaffers are too good :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
neoism said:
As long as they make it feel a little new. I don't want a new Halo feeling like I've played it before. One of the reasons it is so popular is because its been a little different ever time. If Halo 2 3 and Reach played like 1 Halo would have been dead a long time ago. I'm not sure I care anyway. I'm really looking forward to bungie thang more than 343s anyway. I do want to play as MC again some day. But I'm ready for the new hotness. Not a game that feels 10 years old. IT doesn't matter if 343 listens to most fans pleads, there are going to want to include something of there own, something the defines H4. Your not going to get a H2/H3. The good thing is they do have all the feed back from 4 games, and I hope they include the best of everything from every game to make it the best halo ever made. I'm not one to think that H1 or H2 defines the series, fuck that. Every Halo game is the definition of the series in its own right. I understand some hate the direction that Reach made, and I'm glad its my favorite, I'd hate to be as big as a fan as I am and not love it. That's probably why I dislike Classic. It feel like the old stuff, and I've played the shit out of it. If I wait to play a game like 2/or H3 I'll play them. I'm still looking forward to playing some Classic in MM, because most of yous Gaffers are too good :p

SMG starts, Valhalla, two on two. Got it.

neoism said:

Dont get my wrong, I agree with you. On a very personal level though im kinda gutted that the likely hood of getting a sequel to the old style Halo is probably zilch. Even if 343 decided to abandon the direction Reach took, its very likely they will try they're own slant on things. I can only hope they do that within the frame of mind that they have to get a classic feel down before they add to it. :p

343 is made up of talented people, and whatever they produce is going to be good, but they have the added pressure of having to keep within the boundries set up by another company, emulating another companies work whilst also trying to do something new seems like a VERY fine line to achieve.

Jokes aside Frankie im glad a bunch of old Bungie staff and long term community members are a part of 343.

Hydranockz said:
Deputy Moonman is like that one dude that likes [bandName]'s first few albums but hated them as soon as [bandMember] left/[bandGenre] changes/[albumSales] increases.

The bolded is understandable, if the core of the band changes then the fan is probably not getting what he originally got from the band and so if the new stuff isnt to his tastes will have no reason to listen to them anymore.
Its simple logic mr programmer :p

Deputy Moonman is like that one dude that likes [bandName]'s first few albums but hated them as soon as [bandMember] left/[bandGenre] changes/[albumSales] increases.

Falagard

neoism said:
As long as they make it feel a little new.

I want new vehicles, new weapons, and new maps that are not crappier than previous games.

I'm happy for new gameplay features as long as they don't suck in multiplayer. I like campaign, but if your campaign gameplay design decisions are detrimental to my multiplayer experience, suck it.

OuterWorldVoice said:
SMG starts, Valhalla, two on two, rainbows shooting out everywhere, armor lock. Got it.
Fixed.

Seriously. If you are going to do something with the franchise, don't take it to it's roots necessarily.

The Halo series needs to take a cue from franchises that have been successful at continually delivering value to it's customers. In the video game realm, I'm talking about genuine game play refinements. Halo: Reach is great as a novelty, but people crave modernism, not antiquated solliloquys of the 'glorious days of the first XBOX'...

If you want Halo 1, play Halo 1. I for one want to see what the talent at 343 can bring me. Surprise me why don't you.

GhaleonEB said:
I clicked on the video and saw it was a 12-minute LASO run for Tip of the Spear. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, since I closed it because I want to do it the hard/normal way. Half the fun of these runs are all the "oh shit, what now!?" moments.

(Except for Nightfall, which I hate with a passion on Legendary. Breezed right through it when that one came up.)
I'll play it however you guys want, but it's going to be a bitch doing it the regular way. I'll make sure my language filter is on for the evening. ;-)

Just remember that there are two Banshees that divebomb you at the BXR plant, right as you get past the Skirmishers. I've never not died there when they haven't been dealt with beforehand by the Rocket Hog.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
I want new vehicles, new weapons, and new maps that are not crappier than previous games.

I'm happy for new gameplay features as long as they don't suck in multiplayer. I like campaign, but if your campaign gameplay design decisions are detrimental to my multiplayer experience, suck it.
Aye, this. And also, vice versa. It's still odd to me how game mechanics that drive me bonkers in MP work great in Firefight and Campaign (bloom, armor lock, etc.).

One of the things that bugs me in the current implementation of Reach is that all of the content from campaign is leveraged into MP, when not all of it has to be (see: drop shield in multiplayer). And likewise, the campaign defines the content of the MP game. For example, when asked why the Chopper wasn't in Reach, Sage's response was that it didn't fit into where the Brutes arrived in the Campaign. A little voice in my head said, "So? Put it in multiplayer anyways." I understand it may have been a resource issue and if that was the case it's a different story, but it's the mentality that there can't be stuff in MP if it doesn't fit into the Campaign that I'd like to see go away. Do what's right for the game entire. I think it's okay for each mode to have non-overlapping content where it makes sense and resources allow.

They made a duplicative weapon in Reach (the plasma repeater) just for MP, and I wouldn't mind that approach taken in other areas.

feel

Major Williams said:
Fixed.

Seriously. If you are going to do something with the franchise, don't take it to it's roots necessarily.

The Halo series needs to take a cue from franchises that have been successful at continually delivering value to it's customers. In the video game realm, I'm talking about genuine game play refinements. Halo: Reach is great as a novelty, but people crave modernism, not antiquated solliloquys of the 'glorious days of the first XBOX'...

If you want Halo 1, play Halo 1. I for one want to see what the talent at 343 can bring me. Surprise me why don't you.
OWV: "Aiming down sights, lots of grey, got it."

Tawpgun

Wow.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=533605307&player=Tawpgun

It was a 0-0 stalemate the entire game. They touched our flag maybe twice before getting killed. We relentlessly rushed their base to no avail due to the overpowered bases.

BUT THEN SOMEONE (not sure who) grabbed their flag with less than 2 minutes left and we fought with it all the way back to base and scored with like 15 seconds left. So good.

For Plywood
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15408444&player=Tawpgun

For Gui
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15409408&player=Tawpgun

Took a while to render these for some reason.

neoism

bobs99 ... said:
Dont get my wrong, I agree with you. On a very personal level though im kinda gutted that the likely hood of getting a sequel to the old style Halo is probably zilch. Even if 343 decided to abandon the direction Reach took, its very likely they will try they're own slant on things. I can only hope they do that within the frame of mind that they have to get a classic feel down before they add to it. :p

343 is made up of talented people, and whatever they produce is going to be good, but they have the added pressure of having to keep within the boundries set up by another company, emulating another companies work whilst also trying to do something new seems like a VERY fine line to achieve.

Jokes aside Frankie im glad a bunch of old Bungie staff and long term community members are a part of 343.

The bolded is understandable, if the core of the band changes then the fan is probably not getting what he originally got from the band and so if the new stuff isnt to his tastes will have no reason to listen to them anymore.
Its simple logic mr programmer :p
Most definitely. Frankie is the shit, and 343 will deliver. I will buy it day one, but it will be for single-player.
Like every halo game has been for me... :p <3

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:
Yeah, the thing about his run is that he starts it out so quickly. Read his writeup for more details - but the key to why you're facing baddies at every turn that simply weren't there for him is because he went from cutscene to rocket hog in 35 seconds. And you probably didn't. :)

I tried running it once - I was a chunk slower, and I faced everything you're facing. You'd do better following Tyrant's writeup - it's slower, but oh so much safer. (plus, he deals with most of the crap you're seeing.)

RC Master's run is only worth following if you know what the hell you're doing. (And I don't mean that in an insulting way. That bit in the mining facility, where he bypasses a huge chunk of baddies by jumping down to some beams and running through the middle, without even slowing down? He's done that a hundred times, or more. I guarantee you, if you try to match his performance you will fall to your death more times than I have fingers and toes. Even taking it horribly slowly, it's STILL hard.)
I'm no slouch when it comes to the platform hopping, if anything that's the easiest part for me but I must be going slower everywhere else. I'll keep trying throughout the week.
A27 Tawpgun said:
I hit that one bump and just went flipping. :/ This was during one of my LASO attempts, so then I decide to get to killing the marine and I apparently flipped the vehicle by shooting it.

As you can see I couldn't believe it flipped and I just walked away.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=533605307&player=Tawpgun

It was a 0-0 stalemate the entire game. They touched our flag maybe twice before getting killed. We relentlessly rushed their base to no avail due to the overpowered bases.

BUT THEN SOMEONE (not sure who) grabbed their flag with less than 2 minutes left and we fought with it all the way back to base and scored with like 15 seconds left. So good.
It was Kajin he grabbed it, apparently he had been crouching at their base sneaking his way to the flag.

wwm0nkey said:
One thing I want to new Halo game to do. Pay REALLY close attention to the cannon in all of the books.

I don't think we'll have any canon-related issues. From what I can tell of their team they've got that covered.

I'm sure a Halo Bible is on every nightstand and next to every toilet.

Top Bottom