• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GhaleonEB said:
Look forward to them, your last was great.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Are you only going to use Halo music?

No. I don't want to limit myself to just Halo music. That doesn't mean I won't use it but I'd like to try all kinds of music. I actually have an idea for Week 1's song. It could be awesome if it works out well *fingers crossed*

Trasher said:
What editing program do you use for your montages?

I capture with Windows Movie Maker and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Tashi0106 said:
No. I don't want to limit myself to just Halo music. That doesn't mean I won't use it but I'd like to try all kinds of music. I actually have an idea for Week 1's song. It could be awesome if it works out well *fingers crossed*

Well then, I'll wait to see what you choose before offering up suggestions. Hope it works out!

Tashi

Hitmonchan107 said:
Well then, I'll wait to see what you choose before offering up suggestions. Hope it works out!

I was actually thinking of taking song suggestions. It's going to be tough to find a song each week. For week 2 I'll open it up for song suggestions/challenges.

Kibbles

Had the shittiest game ever on "Big Bro Battle" or whatever the hell on The Spire. I don't even want to talk about it. *shivers* I also gave up on that LASO challenge, at least for today. I tried following the guide and end up dying pretty far into the level numerous times and having to start back from the beginning, too many do-overs for me. Day of Rage!

Kibbles said:
Had the shittiest game ever on "Big Bro Battle" or whatever the hell on The Spire. I don't even want to talk about it. *shivers* I also gave up on that LASO challenge, at least for today. I tried following the guide and end up dying pretty far into the level numerous times and having to start back from the beginning, too many do-overs for me. Day of Rage!
Save and Quit when you die, Resume Solo Campaign, and you're good to go.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it in a two and a half hour game. Dani dropped about two hours in... sorry dude! :p

Rail ride section was cake for us. Took us maybe five or six tries. The biggest problem was that we couldn't checkpoint prior to the ride, so every time we died during the rail ride, we restarted back with the Drones and Hunters (and everything else) still alive. Eventually we got a checkpoint though.

For the rail ride part, the grenadiers just have to learn where the Shade turrets are and blast 'em right away. Like I said it only took us five or six tries.

Spire section took a while but not too long. Nightshade snagged a Banshee, and Hayes and I lured the enemies outside and Nightshade knocked them off the tower.

The hardest area was probably the oil rig facility or whatever it is. We just couldn't figure out a good way to tackle it, even using the catwalks. There was probably a much easier way to do it than we did.

Overall, it was a blast. One of the most fun campaign sessions I've played in a while.

Nutter

Completed it with 3 people, Omlet unfortunately got seated in the turret falcon and proceeded to die many times, out of 87 minutes it took us, about 40 or so were spent on the falcon bit. [I think having 2 or less on the falcon should be TONS easier then any attempt with 3 or 4 people] Everything up to the Falcon was cake walk, I dont think we died at all. Though I have learned the more people in the party, the harder to kill those damn Hunters. With that said, the last part was rather a trick play, lure and destroy by banshee seems to be the strategy to get through that.

Botolf said:
It ought to be placed below nearly all story considerations too. Background detail consistency is a plus, but it doesn't create great characters and stories.
This post to be printed out and pasted above every workstation at 343i.

Cocopjojo said:
For the rail ride part, the grenadiers just have to learn where the Shade turrets are and blast 'em right away. Like I said it only took us five or six tries.
What sort of sorcery do you posses that we lack? Man we tried that a lot but we still failed every time.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Dax fanmail from 2009. We promised.
"When you make a promise..."

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
Completed it with 3 people, Omlet unfortunately got seated in the turret falcon and proceeded to die many times, out of 87 minutes it took us, about 40 or so were spent on the falcon bit. [I think having 2 or less on the falcon should be TONS easier then any attempt with 3 or 4 people] Everything up to the Falcon was cake walk, I dont think we died at all. Though I have learned the more people in the party, the harder to kill those damn Hunters. With that said, the last part was rather a trick play, lure and destroy by banshee seems to be the strategy to get through that.
What side was the 3rd man on? We spent a good 30 minutes and 50+ deaths and could not get past one specific part: the first FRG turret on the left. By the time I could hit it, enough shots were in the air to kill the Falcon in front. The guy on the Falcon in front was on the right, so he couldn't hit it.

GhaleonEB said:
[/rage post]
blargh, what a frustrating way to end the game. I never liked the rail sections of Reach, but thanks to last night, now I fucking hate it. It's a really cheap way to progress through a level anyway, even more so considering the company that thought it would be a grand idea to implement it. Out of all the ideas that got scrapped for Reach's campaign, how in god's name did this make it through to completion? I can handle AR starts in Legendary Co-op; at least I have a chance of grabbing another weapon and move about in an attempt to save my own ass. But force me into a Falcon that does no damage with the game settings and watch as I relive multiple exercises in futility? Piss off.

I refuse to let this beat me. I will be trying again.

zlatko

Banned
squidhands said:
blargh, what a frustrating way to end the game. I never liked the rail sections of Reach, but thanks to last night, now I fucking hate it. It's a really cheap way to progress through a level anyway, even more so considering the company that thought it would be a grand idea to implement it. Out of all the ideas that got scrapped for Reach's campaign, how in god's name did this make it through to completion? I can handle AR starts in Legendary Co-op; at least I have a chance of grabbing another weapon and move about in an attempt to save my own ass. But force me into a Falcon that does no damage with the game settings and watch as I relive multiple exercises in futility? Piss off.

I refuse to let this beat me. I will be trying again.

This part of the game needed just one fix to it----restore your health to full before it starts. When my friend and I did this earlier tonight the reason we had to restart several times was that each of us had about 3 pieces of health left AKA we die if we get shot more than once. I took the harder side which is the right side, because I was the better shot and I left him with the easier side on the left.

Tashi0106 said:
I was actually thinking of taking song suggestions. It's going to be tough to find a song each week. For week 2 I'll open it up for song suggestions/challenges.

My song got jacked by the fuckin Windows Phone commercial.

zlatko said:
This part of the game needed just one fix to it----restore your health to full before it starts. When my friend and I did this earlier tonight the reason we had to restart several times was that each of us had about 3 pieces of health left AKA we die if we get shot more than once. I took the harder side which is the right side, because I was the better shot and I left him with the easier side on the left.
I had full health but no shields for the ride. I think what needed fixing was leaving the damned Turret Falcon out of Legendary. Or let me be the pilot. Anything.

Willeth

zlatko said:
There's a health pack by the downed Falcon and a drop shield by the plasma launcher. At worst, you should have one guy with full shield and another with full health and no shield.

zlatko

Banned
Willeth said:
There's a health pack by the downed Falcon and a drop shield by the plasma launcher. At worst, you should have one guy with full shield and another with full health and no shield.

Weird. We didn't see it/missed it. The checkpoint started right as we boarded the Pelican. I wish the checkpoint was a bit further up too like right as you are about to come around to the bridge.

I was also confused what the right way to use the launcher was, because if you don't just spam it you can make an electric blast shoot out along with the explosion. We ended up just spamming the trigger and remembering where what spawns. After about 10-20 tries we got it.

Willeth

zlatko said:
Weird. We didn't see it/missed it. The checkpoint started right as we boarded the Pelican. I wish the checkpoint was a bit further up too like right as you are about to come around to the bridge.

I was also confused what the right way to use the launcher was, because if you don't just spam it you can make an electric blast shoot out along with the explosion. We ended up just spamming the trigger and remembering where what spawns. After about 10-20 tries we got it.
Halo checkpoints are dynamic, taking into account health, movement, distance to enemies and so forth in order to make sure you don't checkpoint somewhere that's just going to kill you on spawn over and over. The weird thing about that second AA gun is that you can force a checkpoint if you drive your team in a vehicle underneath where the balanced Warthog is. Not sure if that works after the Falcons appear but it's worth knowing - my original Legendary run was just me popping out with a Revenant, killing a couple of enemies, and hightailing it back to the checkpoint area to force another.

As for the launcher, the alt-fire if you hold the button is an EMP that does little to no damage. It's great to disable a vehicle in matchmaking but in that section in campaign it's next to pointless to use. By the time you've reloaded and fired another, the vehicle you disabled is up and firing again.

Crucio

Me and my friend did the weekly in 92 minutes. Honestly most of our deaths were trying to get the Rocket Hog by killing everything. The next worst part was killing the Zealot and co. Not bad, went better then I thought it would. Then I commandeer a Wraith as always in the last AA tower encounter.

Then its a matter of getting through the rail line with the falcons. Honestly I think its an utter waste of time trying to do that with 4 people, cmon, someone spent 4 hours doing the mission in on 4 player coop and finally got it, but heck thats a LOT of time! Damn!
Once we get to the banshees I steal one and then its smooth sailing.

I found this LASO(With Blind) to be a lot easier then Sword Base was.

Hooo, thanks for that info Wu.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Tip of the Spear LASO attempt aborted after 3/4 of the mission and 70 minutes of play time due to the utterly broken nature of the rail ride with three players.

Squid was given the Falcon in front, which is nerfed with a machine gun turret, not a grenade launcher. Dax and I are in back with the grenade launcher, but because the turret Falcon flies so far ahead of us, we can't get turrets into line of sight until they're already pounding on the Falcon in front. And the machine gun when doing LASO is less effective than harsh language (which was also deployed). And if that wasn't enough, the path of the Falcons are not fixed; I would often be bobbing and weaving in unexpected ways, and on numerous occasions the front Falcon flew down into my line of fire to a turret, resulting in inadvertant team killing.
Someone at HBO discovered two interesting things:

• Plasma damage aimed at guns will NOT pass on to the Spartan manning that gun, and
  • If the machine gunners don't shoot, ground troops will (mostly) ignore them and focus on the second falcon.

So: Each machine gunner simply holds the gun pointed at a slightly upward angle in front of him (protects him from the occasional shot) - and doesn't fire.

They get no kills for the rail run - but they also don't die at all. Seems like a worthwhile tradeoff for a broken (well, broken on LASO) game mechanic.

Louis Wu said:

• Plasma damage aimed at guns will NOT pass on to the Spartan manning that gun, and
  • If the machine gunners don't shoot, ground troops will (mostly) ignore them and focus on the second falcon.

So: Each machine gunner simply holds the gun pointed at a slightly upward angle in front of him (protects him from the occasional shot) - and doesn't fire.

They get no kills for the rail run - but they also don't die at all. Seems like a worthwhile tradeoff for a broken (well, broken on LASO) game mechanic.
I tried the bold a couple of times, but didn't try using the gun as a shield.

Ghal, Dax: I'm up for trying it from our saved checkpoint. If not, I completely understand. ;-)

squidhands said:
I tried the bold a couple of times, but didn't try using the gun as a shield.

Ghal, Dax: I'm up for trying it from our saved checkpoint. If not, I completely understand. ;-)
The game can save checkpoints in co-op? I guess I'm up for trying it all over again.

Crucio

Dax01 said:
The game can save checkpoints in co-op? I guess I'm up for trying it all over again.
I don't think you can save games in co-op. Maybe if you all put "leave game", but otherwise the game is completed and can't be reopened.

Louis Wu said:

This one hundred times. It took me and two other buddies 2 hours to do the challenge. The hardest part is the falcon ride. The guy on the machine gun cannot shoot until after the wraith on the right hand side is exposed. The turret on the left side has to deal with everything on the left, especially the turret that shoots out the green shit. The turret on the right has to take out all the enemies at the bridge immediately, kill the two turrets below quickly, consistently shoot where the elite leaders would be before the wraith comes out, then EMP the wraith and go for the turret up the road. He needs to consistently EMP that wraith, so machine gun guy can shoot at it, and focus on the elite leaders first cuz those concussion rifles will fuck you up.

That's the formula we came up with after a while, and it worked rather well.

But seriously, this shit is borked with 3 players.

wwm0nkey said:
Ive given up on the LASO challenges since I get get more Cr in 13 match making games :/

If you're doing the LASO challenges for credits, you're doing it wrong. This includes the people that glitch their way through and finish in 20 minutes. It's for the Challenge, man. These things are getting me to play Campaign in a way I've never tried before.

Granted, some sections are broken and suck (like the on-rails part), but it goes back to the thrill of accomplishment when you finally beat it. I highly doubt the 13,000 credits were the biggest reward for the people that took 4 hours to beat it in Co-op.

I just wish the b.net Service Record kept track of which specific Weekly Challenges you completed, not just the overall number.

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
If you're doing the LASO challenges for credits, you're doing it wrong. This includes the people that glitch their way through and finish in 20 minutes. It's for the Challenge, man. These things are getting me to play Campaign in a way I've never tried before.

Granted, some sections are broken and suck (like the on-rails part), but it goes back to the thrill of accomplishment when you finally beat it. I highly doubt the 13,000 credits were the biggest reward for the people that took 4 hours to beat it in Co-op.

I just wish the b.net Service Record kept track of which specific Weekly Challenges you completed, not just the overall number.
Hate doing these challenges though, they just make me want to punch someone :(

Tashi

Dax01 said:
Tashi, I'm not looking forward to it because your last one SUCKED.
<3

I wish there was a way to make it so that everyone BUT you could watch it.

<3

ShinAmano

ncsuDuncan said:

I would be all about the LASO challenges if I had a HUD. The blind skull just makes it not fun.

Random thought:

Is there any significance to the naming of the UNSC ships in Halo 1-3?

Pillar of Autumn
In Amber Clad
Forward Unto Dawn

I always thought the first two were describing a tree...

ShinAmano said:
I would be all about the LASO challenges if I had a HUD. The blind skull just makes it not fun.

Uh, you do know that only the first LASO challenge required Blind, right?
Now it's technically not "LASO", more like "LASOEB" or something like that. Bungie heard the complaints and adjusted accordingly.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Random thought:

Pillar of Autumn
In Amber Clad
Forward Unto Dawn

Forward Unto Dawn sounds awesome for a website name.

ncsuDuncan said:
Random thought:

Pillar of Autumn
In Amber Clad
Forward Unto Dawn

I don't know if there's significance, but whoever names ships (or developed the naming guide) in the expanded Halo universe is awesome. Every time I read the name of a Covenant vessel I smile... they just sound so majestic.

ncsuDuncan said:

And it's why I'll keep trying this one until I get it. I didn't do ONI, but the feeling of accomplishment when finishing Winter Contingency with a group was spectacular. I really enjoy the campaign challenges, but when broken shit ruins the co-op experience, I get severely pissed off at some of the choices that Bungie made with this game and end up picking it apart more than I should.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm down to try again tonight. My kid will be free and I think it will be easier with four than three. And we can try the 'no fire' approach for the lead Falcon.

I do enjoy the challenge, and how absurd some of the situations we get into (I'll never forget the blind panic that broke out when an Elite hopped into the room with us behind the door Kat was closing on Winter Contingency. That one Elite rocked all four of us.) This is the first broken component of the campaign; I think the next will be dealing with the rail ride on Exodus - and the civilians. :\
I should be around the same time as last night. Let's do this thing.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
And it's why I'll keep trying this one until I get it. I didn't do ONI, but the feeling of accomplishment when finishing Winter Contingency with a group was spectacular. I really enjoy the campaign challenges, but when broken shit ruins the co-op experience, I get severely pissed off at some of the choices that Bungie made with this game and end up picking it apart more than I should.
I'm down to try again tonight. My kid will be free and I think it will be easier with four than three. And we can try the 'no fire' approach for the lead Falcon.

I do enjoy the challenge, and how absurd some of the situations we get into (I'll never forget the blind panic that broke out when an Elite hopped into the room with us behind the door Kat was closing on Winter Contingency. That one Elite rocked all four of us.) This is the first broken component of the campaign; I think the next will be dealing with the rail ride on Exodus - and the civilians. :\

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

If you have room for one more, hit me up. I wasted two hours yesterday thanks to a random power outage. =/

Tons of fun though.

Top Bottom