• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Raide

Hitmonchan107 said:
Thanks! Although I don't think the quality of the clip merits rendering. But thank you.

:D Did not expect the Falcon.

Edit: Any spare Defiant codes for a close friend? Hopefully most of HaloGAF have already got theirs.

wwm0nkey said:
It better either

A) Get completely removed and be like Halo 2

or

B) Nerf it so much you don't even realize it.

I still like the idea of replacing bloom with recoil.

Pace your shots, and your reticule never moves.

Fire slightly faster and your reticule/view moves up slightly. The faster you fire, the farther up it moves, but there is no randomness (the distance moved is directly tied to your firing rate). It also moves upward in a straight line, so the recoil is completely predictable.

Players can spam the trigger as much as they want, but if they don't adjust their aim with the control stick they'll eventually be looking straight up. Good players will learn the perfect combination of pacing/adjustment to get the last shot on the head as quickly as possible.

The reticule can still "bloom" to indicate the rate at which the recoil settles.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
I still like the idea of replacing bloom with recoil.

Pace your shots, and your reticule never moves.

Fire slightly faster and your reticule/view moves up slightly. The faster you fire, the farther up it moves, but there is no randomness (the distance moved is directly tied to your firing rate). It also moves upward in a straight line, so the recoil is completely predictable.

Players can spam the trigger as much as they want, but if they don't adjust their aim with the control stick they'll eventually be looking straight up. Good players will learn the perfect combination of pacing/adjustment to get the last shot on the head as quickly as possible.

The reticule can still "bloom" to indicate the rate at which the recoil settles.

Recoil - how to ruin fun in one simple mechanic.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Falagard said:
Wow really? Did I say Halo 4 should have the same weapons, vehicles, equipment, powerups, maps, game types, enemies, campaign and graphics? I'm simply asking for the best core gameplay mechanics.

I'm sorry, it's just that it looked like you listed the "core gameplay mechanics" of Halo 3.

You really want Dual Wielding back? That's the first I've heard of someone missing it. I'm so relieved that it's not in Reach, it was a mess in Halo 2 and 3. And equipment really? Damn, I must be really out of touch with the average Halo gamer.

see5harp

So what's the deal with the map pack? Worth getting I loved the first one but now notice that hardly anyone plays that playlist. Is there a playlist for all DLC maps and not just the newest?

Hey You

see5harp said:
So what's the deal with the map pack? Worth getting I loved the first one but now notice that hardly anyone plays that playlist. Is there a playlist for all DLC maps and not just the newest?
The Defiant map Pack playlist has Tempest and Breakpoint alongside the two new maps.

The Noble Maps will only show up if everyone in the game has the Noble DLC and Noble is not required.

wwm0nkey said:
It better either

A) Get completely removed and be like Halo 2

or

B) Nerf it so much you don't even realize it.

Honestly, while I fully understand the collective frustration associated with the bloom mechanic, I thinks its supposed detrimental impact on the game has been slightly over exaggerated. I've watched countless videos of the top pros in MLG and they seemed to have adjusted to the bloom just fine. I actually appreciate the skill it takes to not only be precise with your shots but also displaying the ability to manipulate the bloom effectively.

I just hope the next Halo game has a more robust enough set of customizable options that would allow fans to be able to set up games with any play style that they prefer whether it'd be Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Reach etc.

see5harp

Hey You said:
The Defiant map Pack playlist has Tempest and Breakpoint alongside the two new maps.

The Noble Maps will only show up if everyone in the game has the Noble DLC and Noble is not required.

I was more asking about the quality of those two maps. I absolutely loved the maps for Noble and would like to play them more often. Last night I tried to play some Noble and less than 300 people were in that playlist. A little more than a 1000 were playing the new playlist.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm sorry, it's just that it looked like you listed the "core gameplay mechanics" of Halo 3.

You really want Dual Wielding back? That's the first I've heard of someone missing it. I'm so relieved that it's not in Reach, it was a mess in Halo 2 and 3. And equipment really? Damn, I must be really out of touch with the average Halo gamer.
Yup. It was not needed and only served to weaken weapons.

Equipment is fun, yo.

Edit: Grats on Duncan for the member title.

Striker

Dual wielding wouldn't be a bad asset, unless they plan on bringing back an assault rifle that's strong in close quarters, something we've been missing since Halo 1. At least the SMG/Plasma Rifle and the likes of dual wielding were strong up close, as intended.

So I finally got some time to play Firefight matchmaking with one of my co-op buddies last night. Four full matches, and Unearthed didn't come up once, even with the three rounds of voting "None of the above".

This. fucking. sucks.

I really thought DLC was going to be handled better than Halo 3 this time around. What happened?

Striker said:
Dual wielding wouldn't be a bad asset, unless they plan on bringing back an assault rifle that's strong in close quarters, something we've been missing since Halo 1. At least the SMG/Plasma Rifle and the likes of dual wielding were strong up close, as intended.
Reach's AR is pretty beastly in close quarters.

NOKYARD

squidhands said:
I'm gonna attempt this solo. I've watched RC Master's video a couple of times, so I'll give it a shot.
Oh, no you haven't!

We are about to post a new SLASO run which is one minute faster and, since it is a High Speed Halo submission, there is no HUD on this one.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:
That flatness would be perfect to Forge certain maps on. =/
Yep. I hope that if they make another human themed forge map it'll be flat and they use the assets/style of New Alexandria.

Just to see if I understand how things are supposed to work: If I want to play Unearthed in firefight matchmaking, I need to get 4 players in the lobby who have all the maps. Only then will we have a high chance of playing on Unearthed.

But since our party was only two players, matchmaking filled in the other two players. If just one of those players doesn't have the Defiant map pack there is zero chance of us seeing Unearthed, no matter how many matches we play. And there is no way I can tell matchmaking to limit itself to matching players with the same DLC.

Do I have this right? If so, there is no justification for charging for these maps. Not if that's how it works.

Dax01 said:
Edit: Grats on Duncan for the member title.
Thanks!

As for dual wielding, I'm glad it's not in Reach as well. It was an interesting feature, but the implementation just never worked that great in H2/H3.

I think it could work in the future if:

- You don't ever get stuck with ONE dual-wieldable weapon.
Spawning with a single SMG was awful.

- So when you hold X to pick up a dual-wieldable gun you pick up both of them (since they should spawn in pairs).
If you try to replace them with a single-wield gun you drop both of them.

- If you're holding a pair of dual-wield guns and are standing over a pair of a different type, the first press of X will only swap the left handed gun.
The second X press swaps the right handed one.
(eh, there might be a better way to do that, but you see my point. mix & match)

- Throwing a grenade or doing a melee attack shouldn't drop the lefthand weapon.
Instead, when you throw a grenade the left-hand weapon should be lowered (and unusable; attached to the thigh or something), but should come back right after.

So basically, treat dual-wieldable guns as a single weapon in all cases except when you're trying to mix & match. The fact that you never get stuck with only one dual-wieldable should make balancing easier.

KevinRo

Ok, so I got interested in readin some halo canon. I'm in contact harvest now but this talk of halo4 has me all hot and bothered.

I remember in one of the books, I don't remember which but Cortana had access to one of the covenants ships and had gotten access to their splispace technology and plasma technology which she actually proved. How come when she came back to earth around halo3 she never passed the information on for human weapons development? I mean halo4 would have sone human weapons that would eventually incorporate plasmas and fix the fawshukijawa slipsace problem, right? Or am I forgetting that she already passed it on to ONI?

KevinRo said:
Ok, so I got interested in readin some halo canon. I'm in contact harvest now but this talk of halo4 has me all hot and bothered.

I remember in one of the books, I don't remember which but Cortana had access to one of the covenants ships and had gotten access to their splispace technology and plasma technology which she actually proved. How come when she came back to earth around halo3 she never passed the information on for human weapons development? I mean halo4 would have sone human weapons that would eventually incorporate plasmas and fix the fawshukijawa slipsace problem, right? Or am I forgetting that she already passed it on to ONI?
For all we know, she could have, they just didn't release the information.

As the ad campaigns and fiction prove time and again, the games don't show EVERYTHING that happens when the Spartan is on a planet. A lot can happen between cutscenes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
KevinRo said:

Who says she didn't?

The aftermath of the Human-Covenant war will be interesting as there are a million and one things that could happen.

Right now, as of the end of Halo, Cortana is the most important source for all kinds of Covenant, Human, Flood and Forerunner technology, secrets and general information. She's the universe's most valuable asset.

Dani said:
Who says she didn't?

The aftermath of the Human-Covenant war will be interesting as there are a million and one things that could happen.

Right now, as of the end of Halo, Cortana is the most important source for all kinds of Covenant, Human, Flood and Forerunner technology, secrets and general information. She's the universe's most valuable asset.

If 343 has kept any of Bungie's historical DNA in their storytelling ambition, I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that we'll see heavy nods to the concept of AI as Godhood that they teased around with in Marathon and some of the extended Halo fiction (not to mention the datapads in Reach).

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
Thanks!

As for dual wielding, I'm glad it's not in Reach as well. It was an interesting feature, but the implementation just never worked that great in H2/H3.

I think it could work in the future if:

- You don't ever get stuck with ONE dual-wieldable weapon.
Spawning with a single SMG was awful.

- So when you hold X to pick up a dual-wieldable gun you pick up both of them (since they should spawn in pairs).
If you try to replace them with a single-wield gun you drop both of them.

- If you're holding a pair of dual-wield guns and are standing over a pair of a different type, the first press of X will only swap the left handed gun.
The second X press swaps the right handed one.
(eh, there might be a better way to do that, but you see my point. mix & match)

- Throwing a grenade or doing a melee attack shouldn't drop the lefthand weapon.
Instead, when you throw a grenade the left-hand weapon should be lowered (and unusable; attached to the thigh or something), but should come back right after.

So basically, treat dual-wieldable guns as a single weapon in all cases except when you're trying to mix & match. The fact that you never get stuck with only one dual-wieldable should make balancing easier.

That's actually a really cool idea. I support.

Also, that Frankie interview is just..... 343 hype everywhere. These guys seem to truly get what the true Halo fans want, and not the rest of the CoD influenced public.

Also, Cortana never touched earth since In Amber Clad jumped with Regrets Carrier in the beginning of Halo 2. Keep in mind she was only created 7 years ago from Halo 3 ( I think) If she did get some information, it would still take a while to share all of it.

Anyway.

Halo 4.

Polish up Halo 2's experience. Go from there. There is no way they'd release a completely vanilla, classic Halo.... But I think they do see people want that. Solution: Make that a playlist and customizable. Halo definitely needs some new interesting twist, but nothing that slows down gameplay or turns Halo into a more Rock Paper Scissor game.

Dani said:
Who says she didn't?

She's also on the verge of going crazy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Tawpgun

Would it be too much to ask for taking customization and forge to a completley new level.

Make it almost like a modding kit. I want to be able to do things like this. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14909986&player=AHP MastrChafe

And other such shenanigans. Include more ambient features like weather, moving the sun, and speaking of, having forge objects cast real time shadows. It maybe be asking for a lot, but you can always cut idea if they are deemed impossible. But keep the modlike abilities.

Like being able to delete invisible walls, kill barriers, from everything. EVEN campaign (in campaign lobby select an option for no barriers at all, and have the ability to fly around and such) Only available if you beat the campaign on Legendary.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Honestly, while I fully understand the collective frustration associated with the bloom mechanic, I thinks its supposed detrimental impact on the game has been slightly over exaggerated. I've watched countless videos of the top pros in MLG and they seemed to have adjusted to the bloom just fine. I actually appreciate the skill it takes to not only be precise with your shots but also displaying the ability to manipulate the bloom effectively.
We've all adapted, it's just that having to intentionally shoot slow isn't as much fun to a lot of us. Just as there is skill in pacing your shots and working with the bloom mechanic, there is also skill involved in firing fast but making all your shots hit to get the kill first. That is more exciting, IMO.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Would it be too much to ask for taking customization and forge to a completley new level.

Make it almost like a modding kit. I want to be able to do things like this. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14909986&player=AHP MastrChafe

And other such shenanigans. Include more ambient features like weather, moving the sun, and speaking of, having forge objects cast real time shadows. It maybe be asking for a lot, but you can always cut idea if they are deemed impossible. But keep the modlike abilities.

Like being able to delete invisible walls, kill barriers, from everything. EVEN campaign (in campaign lobby select an option for no barriers at all, and have the ability to fly around and such) Only available if you beat the campaign on Legendary.
Well I guess something like that could happen if they gave us a .map maker or editor like that Halo Creators Club idea I had.

Jironimo

Neo Member
Jamie Greisemer GDC Powerpoint Presentation

Apparently Jamie Greisemer gave a talk at GDC. He didn't talk about Reach, as he said he wasn't comfortable talking about a Bungie game he didn't work on. But he did say that "Half the team [was] hired after Halo 3 shipped" and "most of the original team [had] moved on." He described Reach as "The first Halo game made primarily by people that didn't work on the first Halo game."

lol

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
Well I guess something like that could happen if they gave us a .map maker or editor like that Halo Creators Club idea I had.
Or just make it simple and icorportate it into forge. I don't THINK deleting all barriers would be hard to do.

And for the vehicle modding, just seperate the guns and vehicles from each other. Essentially, you can forge weapons and vehicles.

Want a tank turret as a turret? Place a turret, go into its properties, and select tank turret. From here you can even adjust things like ROF.

Imagine spawning a warthog, selecting its turret, and put in laser, rockets, tank cannon.

Imagine spawning an assault rifle, going into properties, and making it plasma grenades.

Phasing vehicles together? a banshee with a hog turret on it?

Stuff like this.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Or just make it simple and icorportate it into forge. I don't THINK deleting all barriers would be hard to do.

And for the vehicle modding, just seperate the guns and vehicles from each other. Essentially, you can forge weapons and vehicles.

Want a tank turret as a turret? Place a turret, go into its properties, and select tank turret. From here you can even adjust things like ROF.

Imagine spawning a warthog, selecting its turret, and put in laser, rockets, tank cannon.

Imagine spawning an assault rifle, going into properties, and making it plasma grenades.

Phasing vehicles together? a banshee with a hog turret on it?

Stuff like this.
So basically make Little Big Halo?

Striker

Jironimo said:

Apparently Jamie Greisemer gave a talk at GDC. He didn't talk about Reach, as he said he wasn't comfortable talking about a Bungie game he didn't work on. But he did say that "Half the team [was] hired after Halo 3 shipped" and "most of the original team [had] moved on." He described Reach as "The first Halo game made primarily by people that didn't work on the first Halo game."

lol
I'm curious how many people who worked often on Halo 1 or Halo 2 are now at 343i. I know Max Hoberman and a few are doing their own thing at CA.

Miss you Max. :(

Shake Appeal said:
...I press Y on spawn and never look back.

Yep, same here.

Striker said:
Because there's only so much you can feasibly do in Forge to get a near accurate remake. The Pit can happen, but I personally rather have Midship, Lockout, Damnation, and others in before it. If you have a good Pit map on your HDD, put it in your File Share and send it to Urk. I've seen people mention Narrows and Construct, and those were pretty bad maps. Only liked by some here because of its MLG roots. Construct was HATED in regular playlists, understandably so.

That said, I'm sure we'll get some additions as well as possibly some edits. The Hang 'Em High map isn't the best edition of its kind. I'm a big fan of one called "Casket," see here.

I also can see eventually them adding in Sanctuary and Ascension, as somebody made a better interpretation of those maps than the Pinnacle and Asylum creations. I believe Mac made the Sanctuary one.

Elongation was fantastic for CTF Classic and Neutral Bomb.

Mac's Sanctuary is great, and although Jeremiah told me that it couldn't replace Asylum in playlists because of its 4-way split performace, it should definitely be in the classic playlist.

Ramirez

Jironimo said:

lol

Even Bungie hates their own game...but really, this explains a lot about how subpar the game is...

Jironimo

Neo Member
Ramirez said:
Even Bungie hates their own game...but really, this explains a lot about how subpar the game is...
Wow dude. You are really overboard on the hate for this game. I think everyone has forgotten how much hate there was for H2 when it was around.

Hey You

Jironimo said:
Wow dude. You are really overboard on the hate for this game. I think everyone has forgotten how much hate there was for H2 when it was around.
Yep. People will be hating just as much on 343i's games as well.

Rinse and Repeat every post-launch.

GhaleonEB

Jironimo said:

lol
Off the top of my head, the only lead roles that come to mind from Bungie veterans on Reach were Marcus and Marty, which help explain why the art and sound design were so outstanding in Reach. I'm sure there are others. (Was Chris Butcher on Reach?)

Edit: yeah I forgot a bunch. :lol

Jaime was sandbox lead for Halo 3. I won't presume anything, but I wonder what he thinks of the job Sage and company did. It's classy of him to stay quiet on the subject and I hope he continues to do so, but I can't help but wonder how happy he was with what was done to the Halo sandbox.

I remember hearing - I think it was a podcast - how Sage had really gone deep into the nuts and bolts of how vehicle handling and behavior worked in the series. I got the impression he'd done a tear down of it and been working on putting it all back together, something that was in process when the Beta was cut. But sort of like the watches and fishing reels my brother and I would disassemble and put back together as kids, they didn't quite work perfectly afterword. (My father was perpetually displeased with our tear down projects.) Reach's vehicles feel close to the rest of the series, but are off by just enough, in enough crucial ways, that I find the entire set very dissatisfying to use, and I avoid them whenever possible. Just as much as the infantry combat this is something I hope the guys at 343i are really zeroing in on.

Top Bottom