• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
Off the top of my head, the only lead roles that come to mind from Bungie veterans on Reach were Marcus and Marty, which help explain why the art and sound design were so outstanding in Reach. I'm sure there are others. (Was Chris Butcher on Reach?)

Jaime was sandbox lead for Halo 3. I won't presume anything, but I wonder what he thinks of the job Sage and company did. It's classy of him to stay quiet on the subject and I hope he continues to do so, but I can't help but wonder how happy he was with what was done to the Halo sandbox.

I remember hearing - I think it was a podcast - how Sage had really gone deep into the nuts and bolts of how vehicle handling and behavior worked in the series. I got the impression he'd done a tear down of it and been working on putting it all back together, something that was in process when the Beta was cut. But sort of like the watches and fishing reels my brother and I would disassemble and put back together as kids, they didn't quite work perfectly afterword. (My father was perpetually displeased with our tear down projects.) Reach's vehicles feel close to the rest of the series, but are off by just enough, in enough crucial ways, that I find the entire set very dissatisfying to use, and I avoid them whenever possible. Just as much as the infantry combat this is something I hope the guys at 343i are really zeroing in on.

Carney on MP Lead and Lars on FF Lead. But the reason that Reach is so different I think from a player standpoint is Sage and Josh Hamrick doing the sandbox, both new to Halo.

Also, what ever happened to "we focused on going back to the core of what made Halo CE the phenomenon that it is"?

neoism

Kuroyume said:
Hopefully understanding what makes Halo special doesn't mean an AR that has longer range than the pistol and DMR, or a melee lunge that sends a person flying into you from like 9 feet away. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halo game without melee.
That's just silly... halo 2 had the best lunges in the series. :p

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Off the top of my head, the only lead roles that come to mind from Bungie veterans on Reach were Marcus and Marty, which help explain why the art and sound design were so outstanding in Reach. I'm sure there are others. (Was Chris Butcher on Reach?)

UI Art Lead was Dave Candland. Chris Carney was a Multiplayer Design Lead. Art Team Manager was Dave Dunn. Engineering Overhead (not sure if that's just advisory or a lead role) was Charlie Gough. Environmental Lighting Lead was Justin Hayward (who started as a Bungie Artist in the summer of 2001). Sandbox Engineering Lead was Eamon McKenzie (hired during the creation of Halo). Mat Noguchi was Infrastructure Engineer (again, might just be advisory, can't tell). Roger Wolfson was Online Engineering Lead. Michael Wu was Environment Team Lead.

These are just the leads that were around during Halo (I probably missed a couple). There were plenty of non-leads that worked on that game, and plenty of leads that started on Halo 2.

Butcher did not work on Reach.

EDIT: Butcher did work on Reach, just didn't make it into the credits.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Louis Wu said:
UI Art Lead was Dave Candland. Chris Carney was a Multiplayer Design Lead. Art Team Manager was Dave Dunn. Engineering Overhead (not sure if that's just advisory or a lead role) was Charlie Gough. Environmental Lighting Lead was Justin Hayward (who started as a Bungie Artist in the summer of 2001). Sandbox Engineering Lead was Eamon McKenzie (hired during the creation of Halo). Mat Noguchi was Infrastructure Engineer (again, might just be advisory, can't tell). Roger Wolfson was Online Engineering Lead. Michael Wu was Environment Team Lead.

These are just the leads that were around during Halo (I probably missed a couple). There were plenty of non-leads that worked on that game, and plenty of leads that started on Halo 2.

Which notable Bungie folk did not work on Reach?

If I recall there are several important folks that have been busy working on TNBT.

neoism

A27_StarWolf said:
How do you guys think a highlands with the snipers replaced with focus rifles would play out?
I played Elite slayer this morning on it. No one used the focus rifles, because they suck. :/

Hey You said:
Yep. People will be hating just as much on 343i's games as well.

Rinse and Repeat every post-launch.

Of course there will be a selection of people who hate everything, but with Reach they really did change the game from a fundamental level, how much Reach has polarised opinions in my opinion proves that its more than just a group of die hard fans hating on the 'new thing'.

I was shocked enough that they brought in a guy who hasnt worked on Halo before and gave him so much power, finding out that half of the team didnt work on older Halo really goes to say something about the decisions made at Bungie. It honestly feels like they themselves had no care about keeping the brand feel
It kinda feels like they lost interest and just did Reach cos they had to.

Louis Wu said:

Well it goes to show, the art and technical networking aspects of Reach are spot on (from what you wrote the guys who worked on older Halo worked on that stuff), its the gameplay that feels so different. :p

To be fair, considering it was a fairly new team, they did a good job, but losing the old feel is a big thing to lose. I cant believe how much of the old team transferred away, are those guys still at Bungie?

neoism

Tashi0106 said:
I'm sorry, it's just that it looked like you listed the "core gameplay mechanics" of Halo 3.

You really want Dual Wielding back? That's the first I've heard of someone missing it. I'm so relieved that it's not in Reach, it was a mess in Halo 2 and 3. And equipment really? Damn, I must be really out of touch with the average Halo gamer.
NO I feel the same way. It seems like most people think the "core" game-play of a halo game was of H2/3. Just like I said a few days ago. There not going to make H4 like the other games. At best, we'll get the best things that worked for each game, and of course new things that 343 will put in to make it "their" game. I really hope I like classic come the 29 in MM. But every time I play it it just feels like... been there, done that. I don't get the with REACH.

SO thanks bungle for making a game that feels a little different this time.. <3 <3 <3

neoism said:
I played Elite slayer this morning on it. No one used the focus rifles, because they suck. :/

I'm honestly not sure if it's even viable to kill someone from full health with one. They'd have to be standing absolutely still.

Tawpgun

neoism said:
NO I feel the same way. It seems like most people think the "core" game-play of a halo game was of H2/3. Just like I said a few days ago. There not going to make H4 like the other games. At best, we'll get the best things that worked for each game, and of course new things that 343 will put in to make it "their" game. I really hope I like classic come the 29 in MM. But every time I play it it just feels like... been there, done that. I don't get the with REACH.

SO thanks bungle for making a game that feels a little different this time.. <3 <3 <3
Difference doesn't always mean good.

wwm0nkey

Tashi0106 said:
fair enough :lol

I guess thats why i didnt mind the melee, unless you where super close the lunge would miss them completely and they would usually turn around and destroy you if you didn't act fast enough.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
That might be, but if there's anything from the Halo 2 melee system they should bring back its the crouch melee. The melee should be accurate, and only count if your facing the player and the reticle is red.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
bobs99 ... said:
Of course there will be a selection of people who hate everything, but with Reach they really did change the game from a fundamental level, how much Reach has polarised opinions in my opinion proves that its more than just a group of die hard fans hating on the 'new thing'.

Every sequel has been met with polarized opinions. It's easy to forget the wash left by SMG starts, dual wielding, or the Battle Rifle's bullet spread (or Sword lunging, or melee changes, or vehicle damage models, or newly introduced weapons and equipment, or even the various changes to just a single weapon - hello, magnum), but they're there and plenty of people were, and still are, really, really mad (SO MAD!) about each and every incremental alteration. Some of them even stormed off and started up websites devoted to slamming the sandbox changes from one title to the next until they ran out of steam and megabytes. Nature of the beast.

(Oh, and by my quick and dirty count, 28 of the names on the Halo: CE credits list are still present and accounted for, 44 from Halo 2, and about 80 from Halo 3. For Halo: Reach, I'd be better off counting who's left since I'd be counting single digits.)

neoism

A27 Tawpgun said:
Difference doesn't always mean good.
Most definitely, for me it did the trick. I hope H4 is more to everyone's liking. I just hope they don't abandon everything from REACH. :/ No Bloom that's fine, it doesn't bother me like others, but I wouldn't mine it gone.

MrBig

urk said:
Every sequel has been met with polarized opinions. It's easy to forget the wash left by SMG starts, dual wielding, or the Battle Rifle's bullet spread (or Sword lunging, or melee changes, or vehicle damage models, or newly introduced weapons and equipment, or even the various changes to just a single weapon - hello, magnum), but they're there and plenty of people were, and still are, really, really mad (SO MAD!) about each and every incremental alteration. Some of them even stormed off and started up websites devoted to slamming the sandbox changes from one title to the next until they ran out of steam and megabytes. Nature of the beast.

(Oh, and by my quick and dirty count, 28 of the names on the Halo: CE credits list are still present and accounted for, 44 from Halo 2, and about 80 from Halo 3. For Halo: Reach, I'd be better off counting who's left since I'd be counting single digits.)
Release your next game on PC and include dev tools and you'll be completely free from all of that rage! (aside from console-only kiddies)

neoism

urk said:

So all the people Bungie hired for REACH quit to go to 343 right :p

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

Yup, I forgot a bunch. Some of those I knew, some I didn't. Sorry, Lars! I was multitasking!

Tawpgun

urk said:

Registering Halo4sucks.com

I think a lot of the people who keep on whining about reach are narrowminded. They yap and yap about how the bloom or melee makes them die and vehicles blow up or something but they only do the multiplayer they need to try firefight and play the campain with friends because there only playing a third of the game when firefight and campain make up the majority of the game.

Of course bungie knows what there doing when they make games and halo reach is such a big game that its impossible to make every bit of it perfect but they made the game and made firefight and campain gameplay so perfect that mayble the last third couldnt be perfect at the same time.

So my suggestion for the people getting mad at halo is that they try firefight because the game plays like perfect there and not frustrating at all. it can be very rewarding if you give it a chance and not just be narrowminded and only do multiplayer because bungie didn't have time to make that good at the same time.

can someone render this video for me, thanks guys
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

Tawpgun

Lake Minnetonka said:
I think a lot of the people who keep on whining about reach are narrowminded. They yap and yap about how the bloom or melee makes them die and vehicles blow up or something but they only do the multiplayer they need to try firefight and play the campain with friends because there only playing a third of the game when firefight and campain make up the majority of the game.

Of course bungie knows what there doing when they make games and halo reach is such a big game that its impossible to make every bit of it perfect but they made the game and made firefight and campain gameplay so perfect that mayble the last third couldnt be perfect at the same time.

So my suggestion for the people getting mad at halo is that they try firefight because the game plays like perfect there and not frustrating at all. it can be very rewarding if you give it a chance and not just be narrowminded and only do multiplayer because bungie didn't have time to make that good at the same time.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka
I would have rendered. But not anymore because I think your argument is dumb. Multiplayer is by FAR the most popular mode in Reach. People might buy Halo games really interested in campaign, but they stay for for the multiplayer. If there's any important mode to focus on sandbox and balancing, if there's any mode thats the most fragile, its multiplayer.

Some people don't want to keep playing Campaign and Firefight due to lag, or boredom.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lake Minnetonka said:
...No it does not. More often than not firefight is just a laggy mess.

Crucio

KevinRo said:
Finished Harvest after starting yesterday. The ending between Mack and sif made me bawwww :'((
Its an impressive read. Dam good story telling, I really enjoyed the story of Harvest.

Falagard

Lake Minnetonka said:

Haha, oh man, that was a funny post. You made my night.

Lake Minnetonka said:

8lTsy.gif

A27 Tawpgun said:
I would have rendered. But not anymore because I think your argument is dumb. Multiplayer is by FAR the most popular mode in Reach. People might buy Halo games really interested in campaign, but they stay for for the multiplayer. If there's any important mode to focus on sandbox and balancing, if there's any mode thats the most fragile, its multiplayer.

Some people don't want to keep playing Campaign and Firefight due to lag, or boredom.
WxMBu.gif

Dug

Banned
Lake Minnetonka said:

ApgNc.gif

Yea I haven't had a smooth Firefight game since I stopped getting host after the second week of Reach.

and campaign is just a vacation break.

Its all about testing your skills, knowledge, and experience against other humans, competitively. Thats what keeps Halo alive, like any game/sport.

Karl2177

I just got done watching some of the Reach pre-Beta videos, primarily the multiplayer vidoc and reveal. Damn, I'm pretty disappointed on how it turned out in the end.

"I'm super excited to see what people do with Armor Abilities; it totally changes the game"

So far people have abused the shit out of them. 360 degree view while in armor lock with an instant turn upon exit-which creates an EMP to nearby enemies. Using a long range weapon while using camo to negate the radar jam effect. Using evade on ramps to launch themselves further away. It just isn't fun when there are so many ways that a person simply be a troll in game.

"You've got this secret weapon in your back pocket that your fourth leg of fun."

Secret weapons are balanced?

/ragepost

I guess they're right--all HaloGAF seems to do is bitch about anything or whine for free codes.

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
. It honestly feels like they themselves had no care about keeping the brand feel
It kinda feels like they lost interest and just did Reach cos they had to.
They were on the home stretch to freedom.

Obviously they cared about the game. Just wanted to try something different from the same old,same old halo formula. I don't blame them. I probably would have wanted to do the same.

Lake Minnetonka said:

That's a very wide blanket you're throwing over all of us.

I love Firefight. I really love campaign.

Saying that we should avoid an area of the game and enjoy the other parts of it won't solve anything.

The best solution is to adapt the ideology of the marketplace of ideas. Speaking up is the most effective way of combating undesirable elements. Remaining silent is not. The best ideas of a free and open public discussion will rise to the top.

We might moan about the mechanics of the game, but I think as a whole we seek ways to improve them.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
urk said:

Thank you for this, was looking for these kind of numbers.

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:
That's a very wide blanket you're throwing over all of us.

I love Firefight. I really love campaign.

Saying that we should avoid an area of the game and enjoy the other parts of it won't solve anything.

The best solution is to adapt the ideology of the marketplace of ideas. Speaking up is the most effective way of combating undesirable elements. Remaining silent is not. The best ideas of a free and open public discussion will rise to the top.

We might moan about the mechanics of the game, but I think as a whole we seek ways to improve them.
That sounds good.

Here's the thing, we all might bitch about how Halo 3 was so much better, but the reason we don't play it (my reason too) is because it got old after 3 years. I too felt they needed to change up the formulas, and I thought AA's were a decent idea on paper but I really don't like the way they were implemented.

That being said,

All of Halo 2> Halo 3/Reach

First Year or Two of Halo 3 > Reach

Reach > Halo 3 right now.

If that makes sense. Honestly, I never realized how bad the BR spread was until I played Halo 3 again.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That sounds good.

Here's the thing, we all might bitch about how Halo 3 was so much better, but the reason we don't play it (my reason too) is because it got old after 3 years. I too felt they needed to change up the formulas, and I thought AA's were a decent idea on paper but I really don't like the way they were implemented.

That being said,

All of Halo 2> Halo 3/Reach

First Year or Two of Halo 3 > Reach

Reach > Halo 3 right now.

If that makes sense. Honestly, I never realized how bad the BR spread was until I played Halo 3 again.

You know what lets talk about what Reach has done that has made you happy:

-Awesome Forge mode to keep me happy until the end of days

-Firefight experience that trumps Nazi Zombies or Horde

-A memorable, epic campaign.

-Best Music Since Halo 2, and some of them, dare I say, BETTER

-For the most part (not talking about bloom) the weapons are amazing in this game and I love them all.

-more spartan armor

What do you guys say? Can we talk about the great things about this game for a little while?

MrBig said:
:lol because it doesn't have an AR? Or did you not have live then?
Yeah, I think Halo 2 was worse than Halo 3 because it didn't have the AR. No. It had nothing to do with the grossly unbalanced sandbox, the button glitches, or the superjumping.

Top Bottom