• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Photolysis said:
I hope that's the case, but even Bungie - the creators of the series - have struggled to understand what makes Halo, Halo. They've spent considerable effort trying to recapture the feel of the first game (with varying degrees of success)

It's very easy to point to specific examples and say "Yeah, that's when I know I'm playing a Halo game", but a coherent definition of what makes a Halo game special isn't the easiest thing to pin down.

Halo is when you armor lock, case closed.

wwm0nkey said:
From a CVG interview

Frankie:
"Ultimately the core game mechanic and strength of the universe doesn't need to be changed, it just needs to be taken deeper. We want to make Halo games - we don't want to make Call of Duty or Ridge Racer. We want to make Halo games because we understand what's special about Halo."

Frankie <3

Confirmed: the 3 pillars of Halo!
Armor Lock, Bloom, Headhunter

also, insert <WeHaveToGoDeeper.gif>

Falagard

Despite the fact that the next Halo will be the fourth on the current Xbox hardware, O'Conner said he doesn't think it'll be a problem producing another innovative instalment.

I haven't heard it confirmed that Halo 4 would be on the 360 necessarily. I was sorta assuming they'd be targeting the next gen Xbox in 2 or 3 years.

equil said:
I like headhunter.

I was having trouble coming up with a third thing from Reach I dislike.

I don't mind the occasional Headhunter game, but it's one of those gametypes where I usually get clueless teammates and get frustrated when I can't win the game myself.

It's just my least favorite of the new gametypes. I think my problem is that I usually play it in BTB, when I'd like it more in a 4v4 game on a smaller level with a stationary capture point.

Falagard said:
I haven't heard it confirmed that Halo 4 would be on the 360 necessarily. I was sorta assuming they'd be targeting the next gen Xbox in 2 or 3 years.
I definitely assumed the first full 343i release would be on 360. That way when everyone gets over their initial "OMG ITZ NOT BUNGEE" fears and learns to love 343i they can safely make Halo 5 a launch title for the Super Xbox 720.

dc89

How many |OT|'s did Halo 3 go through? Seeing this game is only 6 months old and nearing it's 4th |OT| just seems crazy!

dc89 said:
How many |OT|'s did Halo 3 go through? Seeing this game is only 6 months old and nearing it's 4th |OT| just seems crazy!
There was only one Halo 3 Thread. But it would had 5|OT| and 6000posts if I'm assumed correctly.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hopefully understanding what makes Halo special doesn't mean an AR that has longer range than the pistol and DMR, or a melee lunge that sends a person flying into you from like 9 feet away. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halo game without melee.

Kuroyume said:
Hopefully understanding what makes Halo special doesn't mean an AR that has longer range than the pistol and DMR, or a melee lunge that sends a person flying into you from like 9 feet away. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halo game without melee.
The AR doesn't have longer range than the DMR.

The pistol is more effective at a longer range than the AR.

Melee lunge is awesome.

All you do is complain.

Louis Wu

Presco said:
Me too usually, but sometimes the pistol is frustrating vs. an AR.

Exhibit A (sweet death streak):

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15363879&player=Presco

1st death I fail with AR. AR accounts for only 1% of my kills so I don't know what I was thinking.

2nd death I fail with pistol.

3rd death Bungie fails and I rage quit.
Second death he threw a grenade at your feet and you didn't even sidestep, much less jump. The GRENADE beat your pistol, not his AR.

The 3rd death Bungie didn't fail, your network connection did.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Louis Wu said:
Second death he threw a grenade at your feet and you didn't even sidestep, much less jump. The GRENADE beat your pistol, not his AR.

No, no, no. It has to be Bungie's fault. Not his connection. Not his crappy aim. Not his inability to evade grenades.

Reach is poop, remember? =P

neclas

Louis Wu said:
Yeah... but Reach doesn't seem to pick a host very well. Even when everybody's connection bar is in red, the game seems to refuse to switch host. And then when everything seems to be fine, it switches host 3 times in less than a minute.

wwm0nkey

Photolysis said:
I hope that's the case, but even Bungie - the creators of the series - have struggled to understand what makes Halo, Halo. They've spent considerable effort trying to recapture the feel of the first game with varying degrees of success.

It's very easy to point to specific examples and say "Yeah, that's when I know I'm playing a Halo game", but a coherent definition of what makes a Halo game special isn't the easiest thing to pin down.
Get rid of bloom, increase speed and increase kill times.

Those are the 3 major things they need to do in the next Halo.

JonCha

The next thing they need to in Halo 4 is just put out a core experience with great maps and balanced gameplay. There's no need to put in any frills or gimmicks.

I'd also love to have a Halo without melee.

Presco said:
Me too usually, but sometimes the pistol is frustrating vs. an AR.

Exhibit A (sweet death streak):

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15363879&player=Presco

1st death I fail with AR. AR accounts for only 1% of my kills so I don't know what I was thinking.

2nd death I fail with pistol.

3rd death Bungie fails and I rage quit.

The end where you stand still in disbelief is priceless

For the second death you were aiming at his head the entire time (and missing), pop the first four into his chest then go for the headshot.

As for the third death, I can sympathise with this one. This has happened far too many times to me as well. A lot more than I remember it happening on Halo 3. I honestly don't think it's the network conditions a lot of the time either. I commened bungie for the peerless netcode in Reach yet in the same game where my headshots are coming off flawlessly, I'll hit someone square in the centre of the spine and they turn around and evade??? The headshot hitbox for the sniper is the same size as the forever alone guy's; I'm just starting to suspect that the backsmack hitbox is too small or slightly buggy.

JonCha said:
The next thing they need to in Halo 4 is just put out a core experience with great maps and balanced gameplay. There's no need to put in any frills or gimmicks.

Yeah I don't know if it's just me, but Reach's maps seem way worse than those in Halo 3, or even Halo 1/2. Low count to begin with doesn't help.

wwm0nkey

JonCha said:

People probably wouldnt mind a throwback game since we havent had a game like Halo 1 or 2 in awhile.

Also No Halo needs that melee.

Presco

Dani said:
No, no, no. It has to be Bungie's fault. Not his connection. Not his crappy aim. Not his inability to evade grenades.

Reach is poop, remember? =P

Hey, that's a bit unfair. I took responsibility for my failure to deal with the AR guy. And I did strafe forward and to the left but the grenade knocked out a fraction of my shields. I was trying to time my shots with the recoil but got beat by a dude holding down the trigger. I have a bad habit of trying to always headshot when I should be spamming for the body and letting bloom take care of the rest. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about skill. Well, maybe a bit.
I'd destroy you in Reach :p

I just thought it was a funny sequence of events and posted it jokingly. Sorry fellas.

thee henery said:
I commened bungie for the peerless netcode in Reach yet in the same game where my headshots are coming off flawlessly, I'll hit someone square in the centre of the spine and they turn around and evade??? The headshot hitbox for the sniper is the same size as the forever alone guy's; I'm just starting to suspect that the backsmack hitbox is too small or slightly buggy.

Yeah, the connection is usually great for me which is why that final death left me in disbelief. And I laughed in real life at the forever alone guy's hitbox comment. Hilarious!

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Get rid of bloom, increase speed and increase kill times.

Those are the 3 major things they need to do in the next Halo.
You forgot remove AA's/equipment.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Yeah I don't know if it's just me, but Reach's maps seem way worse than those in Halo 3, or even Halo 1/2. Low count to begin with doesn't help.
I've put them on par with Halo 3's batch, but I'm really liking the new DLC maps. Overall the quality for Reach's maps are growing.

Kuroyume said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a Halo game without melee.

In all seriousness, Halo isn't Halo without the 3 pillars of weapons, grenades, and melee.

How about a compromise? Make melee really weak (as in 4 melees to kill a full-health opponent instead of 2) but now it causes a 5-second stun, cutting the victim's movement speed to 75%. Melee hits to the back are no longer instant assassinations, but instead do the damage of 2 normal melees and cut movement speed to 50%.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Presco said:
Hey, that's a bit unfair. I took responsibility for my failure to deal with the AR guy. And I did strafe forward and to the left but the grenade knocked out a fraction of my shields. I was trying to time my shots with the recoil but got beat by a dude holding down the trigger. I have a bad habit of trying to always headshot when I should be spamming for the body and letting bloom take care of the rest. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about skill. Well, maybe a bit.
I'd destroy you in Reach :p

I just thought it was a funny sequence of events and posted it jokingly. Sorry fellas.

Normally folks round here post and bitch about things like this blaming Bungie for everything. Assumed you were weighing in on the current Pistol/AR "debate".

Presco

Dani said:
Normally folks round here post and bitch about things like this blaming Bungie for everything. Assumed you were weighing in on the current Pistol/AR "debate".

Fair enough. I was really only looking for an excuse to post a video of me being a tryhard and failing so maybe I framed the video in the wrong way. I don't really care for either weapon to be honest but each has situations where they are effective. I think everybody can agree on that.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Well that should be obvious, but yes. No AA's/Equipment, faster movement, faster kill times (Halo 1 & 2) and NO bloom

(game also must use hit scan.)
35at9a8.jpg

Personally, I think most of you hoping for an experience like Halo 1 or 2, or those hoping for stuff like no equipment or melee lunge, need to dampen your expectations a bit. Given the fan reaction to stuff like bloom, armor lock, and AA's, reduced speed and jump height, I think 343i's first Halo game is going to be most similar to Halo 3 (and rightly so) out of all the Halo games. You're not going to see no melee lunge, you're not going to see button combos and the like. I think it's a given that we'll likely see equipment at least (or a limited number of AA's and pick-up-able as a standard).

Tunavi

Banned
Dax01 said:
Personally, I think most of you hoping for an experience like Halo 1 or 2, or those hoping for stuff like no equipment or melee lunge, need to dampen your expectations a bit. Given the fan reaction to stuff like bloom, armor lock, and AA's, reduced speed and jump height, I think 343i's first Halo game is going to be most similar to Halo 3 (and rightly so) out of all the Halo games. You're not going to see no melee lunge, you're not going to see button combos and the like. I think it's a given that we'll likely see equipment at least (or a limited number of AA's and pick-up-able as a standard).

It would be cool to see the next game have a social playlist like halo 3, AA's or whatever the future equivalent is, and a hardcore playlist with button combos, halo 2-like play, no AA's/equipment.

Striker

Of course there will be melee lunge. There has to be some sense of order for it. Halo 1 had zero lunge, but it also wasn't meant for online. Halo 2 and Halo 3 had a ridiculous lunge, and despite Reach weakening it a bit, it's still prevalent. That's fine. Adjust the melee power, i.e. three melee to kill. I'm harping my hopes primarily for hitscan and no AA/equipment, for multiplayer, at least. Leave your bubble shields to fighting Brutes, Flood, Elites, or whatever they plan to bring on. Going back to Master Chief will be the real declaration. And hopefully he doesn't jump like he's on the moon or walking through thick mud like we endured for Halo 3.

wwm0nkey said:
Nah I do want the next Halo game to be a bit different but take the basics of Halo 1 and 2's gameplay

That being said I would still like the XBLA version of Halo 2.

What a novel idea! How has no-one thought of this before? ;)

Actually, 343i will reveal Halo 4 as an on-rails shooter where you spend the entire game behind a Falcon's machine gun turret. The Kinect integration is going to be awesome.

The multiplayer will consist of a Dance Central style fighting minigame which allows you to bust a groove as any character from the series (including Elites doing the cha-cha). Successfully performing the dance moves deals damage to your opponent, unless of course they are posed in the Armor Lock stance.

This game will directly compete with Bungie's cross-platform action MMO, World of Pimps at Sea.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
If its like Halo 3 with hit scan then sign me up!

Better maps and more maps at launch though I hope.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've been in contact with Letters. He's reading the thread and said he misses and loves all of you <3 :p

He also hooked me up with a banner for my montage series. It is suuuper sexy.

Kuroyume

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
In all seriousness, Halo isn't Halo without the 3 pillars of weapons, grenades, and melee.

How about a compromise? Make melee really weak (as in 4 melees to kill a full-health opponent instead of 2) but now it causes a 5-second stun, cutting the victim's movement speed to 75%. Melee hits to the back are no longer instant assassinations, but instead do the damage of 2 normal melees and cut movement speed to 50%.

That would be good. I'm actually okay with back melees. Just weaken the front attacks by a lot.

343 is not going to make the next game like Halo 3. They don't want to go back to the stone age. They want to go to the future and Halo 2 is a great foundation for that.

Hey You

I don't believe we've ever had these challenges before,have we?:

Clip It. Share It.
Make a clip from your Local files and upload it to your File Share.
1250cR

Single Wield
Earn 100 kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1500cR

Kuroyume said:
343 is not going to make the next game like Halo 3. They don't want to go back to the stone age. They want to go to the future and Halo 2 is a great foundation for that.
I know right. Because you have such inside knowledge of the inner workings of 343i.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
JonCha said:

Halo 4 should ship with atleast the same number of maps as Halo 2 which is 11.

Halo 3 shipped with 9 maps and Reach shipped with 7. Which is baffling considering the number of playlist and it's saddening considering the number of Forge maps they use to fill in the blanks.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey You said:
I don't believe we've ever had these challenges before,have we?:

Clip It. Share It.
Make a clip from your Local files and upload it to your File Share.
1250cR

Single Wield
Earn 100 kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1500cR

Think we had the clip one before and the Single Wield with a smaller number.

chess

I am so happy the Classic list is mostly CE maps!

CE:
Derlict
Rat Race
Damnation
Hang 'em High
Wizard
Battle Creek

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship

come on Tuesday!