• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

chess said:
I am so happy the Classic list is mostly CE maps!

CE:
Derlict
Rat Race
Damnation
Hang 'em High
Wizard
Battle Creek

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship

come on Tuesday!
Which maps are the Forge remakes closer to? Could it actually be:

CE:
Rat Race
Damnation

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship
Desolation
Tombstone
Warlock
Beaver Creek

Not that it really matters for the most part.
Plywood said:
It would be an amazing troll on 343i's part if they ship with 5 maps.

Do it 343. ;)
Actually, it will just be 1 map. Forge World. With 5 Forged variants.
The entire Campaign takes place on various sections of Forge World. There are 3 Firefight maps and they are all un-forgeable sections from Forge World.

And not a new, remade Forge World either. The exact one we have now. :p

Tunavi said:
3 campaign levels, 4 multiplayer maps, 3 firefight maps
Guys, guys. Jun's story isn't told yet. 343i did something new with the first Firefight DLC for a Halo game and they could do a campaign dlc for the first time, too. :)
They could even tell some stories from the fiction like the fights at the generators. etc

Falagard

chess said:

CE:
Derlict
Rat Race
Damnation
Hang 'em High
Wizard
Battle Creek

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship

come on Tuesday!

Are no Halo 3 maps in the Classic list?

chess

ncsuDuncan said:
Which maps are the Forge remakes closer to? Could it actually be:

CE:
Rat Race
Damnation

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship
Desolation
Tombstone
Warlock
Beaver Creek

Not that it really matters for the most part.

I'm not 100% sure on the battle creek but the others are as stated.

Falagard said:

I don't believe so. At least not initially. No official word on weapons I don't believe. I'm assuming original weapons with DMR replacing BR on the Halo 2 maps. Although DMR's might be needed for distance on Hang 'em High. From my experience playing a lot of these maps with similar settings, it should be bit of a relief for the AA's haters. However don't expect a perfect nirvana experience. It's WAY better than default Reach though!

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
The 3 firefight levels are the 3 campaign levels.

shyamalantwist.jpg
WE-NEED-TO-GO-DEEPER.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
Actually, it will just be 1 map. Forge World. With 5 Forged variants.
The entire Campaign takes place on various sections of Forge World. There are 3 Firefight maps and they are all un-forgeable sections from Forge World.

And not a new, remade Forge World either. The exact one we have now. :p
And this time the mongooses won't even have different selectable colors! Also the budget has been inexplicably cut in half.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
It would be cool to see the next game have a social playlist like halo 3, AA's or whatever the future equivalent is, and a hardcore playlist with button combos, halo 2-like play, no AA's/equipment.
I think this in a nutshell lays out the challenge for 343i. Bungie made a lot of major changes to the series over time, some ebbs and flows to the gameplay. We have communities built up around MLG and Griffball, people want Action Sack and ranked Team Slayer. And so on.

Halo's gameplay is so big and so malleable there's no easy way out. Supporting all the different game types - arena, BTB, Firefight, Invasion and so on - is a massive resource draw, and Reach's shipping maps shows what happens when those resources are spread too thin.

I'd be fine with 343i paring back a bit. But they also need to find a way to clearly separate and reward the MLG and Griffball players properly. One side wants something like ranked playlists and a hard rating (1-50) attached. Others want to go in and smash stuff and have fun, and get rewarded in an appropriate way for doing so.

I think the solution lies in streamlining the game types somewhat (though I do love most of them) and a combination of Reach's universal reward system and Halo 3's Social/Ranked schism.

And that's before we get to game mechanics. Personally, Halo 3 is the bar to clear in terms of balance, speed, etc. But again it's impossible to please everyone there.

I would face the challenge of a new Halo game with unbridled terror. 343i has their work cut out for them.

Hypertrooper said:
Guys, guys. Jun's story isn't told yet. 343i did something new with the first Firefight DLC for a Halo game and they could do a campaign dlc for the first time, too. :)
They could even tell some stories from the fiction like the fights at the generators. etc

I would love a campaign DLC. Jun was my favourite character and I always thought it was a shame we only really played one entire mision with him.
Maybe, there could also be a part where you meet Soron (From Halo Evolution), the misformed spartan dwelling in the woods of Reach

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
I would face the challenge of a new Halo game with unbridled terror. 343i has their work cut out for them.

We simply average the two main pillars - Dax and Juices. Profit.

Hey You

I wonder in 343i's game if they will keep new game modes that debuted in Reach (Invasion,Headhunter,Stockpile etc).

I hope at least Invasion
And Generator Defense pl0x

Falagard said:
Other than Halo 3 being "too recent," I was about to respond by saying Halo 3's best maps were its BTB maps (which is certainly true for the most part), but Halo 3 did have some damn fine mid-size maps. The best of which was Citadel, Guardian, and The Pit, and all three deserve to be up there as much as any maps from Halo 2.

OuterWorldVoice said:
We simply average the two main pillars - Dax and Juices. Profit.
Truth be told: My main concern about 343i's next game is not that it will be like Halo 3, but that it won't have the Pro Pipe.

Don't let me down, man.

Congrats to Leviathan for getting his work hosted by HBO! A Fistful of Arrows is seriously entertaining and gorgeous. It's been said before, but 343i/Bungie: Hire this man.

I'll be online for most of the day today if anyone wants to party up.

Rollout!

Louis Wu

Hey You said:
I don't believe we've ever had these challenges before,have we?:

Clip It. Share It.
Make a clip from your Local files and upload it to your File Share.
1250cR

Single Wield
Earn 100 kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1500cR
Clip It, Share It was a challenge on November 2. (777 cR)
Single Wield was a challenge on December 3 (1250 cR for 30 kills) and March 9 (1300 cR for 40 kills).

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
It would be an amazing troll on 343i's part if they ship with 5 maps.

Do it 343. ;)

Only Bungie can get away with stuff like that. If their new MMO launched with 38 minutes of content I'm sure kids like Shake Appeal would still be here defending it to the death.

chess said:

CE:
Derlict
Rat Race
Damnation
Hang 'em High
Wizard
Battle Creek

Halo 2:
Elongation
Lockout
Midship

come on Tuesday!

I have been so out of the loop but just saw this on the weekly update,

could this be what brings me back to Reach, true Classic Halo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm jumping with joy right now. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
wwm0nkey said:

Music to my ears. Love it.

In an interview before this one, Frank talked about features like Theatre Mode and Forge being ways that Halo innovated even in its third entry so those are things we can expect from the 'dramatic innovations'.

If they bring back Halo's core gameplay from Halo 2/Halo 3, they can mess around with anything else regarding the gameplay as they please, imo.

Kuroyume

Banned
Not really worth putting Halo 3 maps in there. Just The Pit and Avalanche? One of which is a remake anyway. Just put the Pit in there and forget about Halo 3. Not sure why Elongation is there though... That map sucks balls. It's the one with the conveyor belts right?

Btw, why the hell can't people change the colors of the pieces in Forge? Yeah you can change the lights but why didn't they go extra there?

Kuroyume said:
Not really worth putting Halo 3 maps in there. Just The Pit and Avalanche? One of which is a remake anyway. Just put the Pit in there and forget about Halo 3. Not sure why Elongation is there though... That map sucks balls. It's the one with the conveyor belts right?

Btw, why the hell can't people change the colors of the pieces in Forge? Yeah you can change the lights but why didn't they go extra there?

I would venture to say it has something to do with deadlines.

Correct me if I am wrong, but usually the first big update to a game are changes that were supposed to have been met but were not because of deadlines.

Hey You

Kuroyume said:

Like said above, deadlines.

There was other stuff that Bungie wanted to do, but didn't have the time. Like the ability to choose your own Map photo (Instead of the same Forge World picture). Another one I believe was to add doors that could open and close by hitting a switch.

I'm sure there was many other little things like that, that Bungie wanted to add but couldn't due to time restraints.

Striker

Falagard said:
Why the snicker? Halo 3's maps were decent and I played a remake of The Pit last week with the classic settings and it was super fun.
Because there's only so much you can feasibly do in Forge to get a near accurate remake. The Pit can happen, but I personally rather have Midship, Lockout, Damnation, and others in before it. If you have a good Pit map on your HDD, put it in your File Share and send it to Urk. I've seen people mention Narrows and Construct, and those were pretty bad maps. Only liked by some here because of its MLG roots. Construct was HATED in regular playlists, understandably so.

That said, I'm sure we'll get some additions as well as possibly some edits. The Hang 'Em High map isn't the best edition of its kind. I'm a big fan of one called "Casket," see here.

I also can see eventually them adding in Sanctuary and Ascension, as somebody made a better interpretation of those maps than the Pinnacle and Asylum creations. I believe Mac made the Sanctuary one.

Kuroyume said:
Elongation was fantastic for CTF Classic and Neutral Bomb.

wwm0nkey

Domino Theory said:
Music to my ears. Love it.

In an interview before this one, Frank talked about features like Theatre Mode and Forge being ways that Halo innovated even in its third entry so those are things we can expect from the 'dramatic innovations'.

If they bring back Halo's core gameplay from Halo 2/Halo 3, they can mess around with anything else regarding the gameplay as they please, imo.
Agreed.

Falagard

Striker said:
Because there's only so much you can feasibly do in Forge to get a near accurate remake.

There are several really good Guardian, Pit and Citadel remakes already out there.

I'm pretty sure the fact that there are no Halo 3 maps in the classic playlist isn't because of Forge's limitations or due to lack of remakes for Halo 3 maps.

Falagard said:
There are several really good Guardian, Pit and Citadel remakes already out there.

I'm pretty sure the fact that there are no Halo 3 maps in the classic playlist isn't because of Forge's limitations or due to lack of remakes for Halo 3 maps.

Guys, there are TONS of Halo 3 maps in the playlists. You just have to put the Halo 3 disc in to access them.

Falagard

Tashi0106 said:
What's the core gameplay though? Dual Wielding? Equipment? It sounds like you guys want a stripped down MLG style gameplay.

Dual wielding, better vehicle sandbox and vehicular damage associated with player health, melee which does damage through shields, equipment, and powerups.

MLG doesn't bring any of that to the table.

ncsuDuncan said:
Guys, there are TONS of Halo 3 maps in the playlists. You just have to put the Halo 3 disc in to access them.

Get that shitty mcshit answer out of here. Halo 3 is done and dusted and everyone knows it. There will be no more DLC for that game, playlists are no longer being updated, and the player population is dwindling. No one that I know plays it regularly.

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:
Elongation was fantastic for CTF Classic and Neutral Bomb.

Ah, figures... I think I may have played a game of CTF on it once. It was mostly Slayer for me though and a lot of grenades. Have to think though that the lack of a moving coveyor belt won't make it as fun. I once checked out a Colossus remake in Forge and the lack of moving conveyor belts really killed it.... Along with the shitty grav lift and lag.

Halo core gameplay:

Halo CE:/2 player base speed
Power ups
Grenades that bounce and that you can actually toss further than 8 feet
A decent sized jump
Halo 2 vehicles (not overpowered, easy to handle, don't last long just enough to get you places)
Lock on rockets for both air and land vehicles
Flag throwing (include an option to turn off the announcers voice for the bitches)
Halo 2 style assault arming. Pick up and drop the bomb before dying to keep it arming.
2 hit melee for oddball and bomb
No bloom
A pistol that people can stop bitching about. People like it overpowered so just give it to them like that. Stop it already.
Hitscan
No FRC for the Banshee
No deployable tools/armor stuff
Lots of teleporters
No elite slayer

chess

Halo 3 maps aren't in classic playlist for a couple reasons.

Halo 3 isn't Classic
Halo 3 can be played with friends on XBL

wwm0nkey said:
Get rid of bloom, increase speed and increase kill times.

Those are the 3 major things they need to do in the next Halo.

Nah - they should add movement bloom, so the more you move the more random your movements are. A button which stops a vehicle in its tracks but also makes it invisible, and they should make it a 6 shot kill.

I type in jest, but before Reach came out, if I had made a post like:

"They should add in recoil bloom so the more you shoot the less accurate your weapon becomes, a button which makes you stand still and turn invincible, and they should up the shots to kill to 5"

people would have gone crazy lol.

When is Letters unbanned anyway? Why is he banned?

Halo 3 maps should be in the classic playlist - it might not be that old but its still the classic oldschool style Halo and sure I can still go on Halo 3, but with those matchmaking times I would probably have to play all night to get like 1 game on something which deserves to be played a lot more like The Pit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Falagard said:
Dual wielding, better vehicle sandbox and vehicular damage associated with player health, melee which does damage through shields, equipment, and powerups.

MLG doesn't bring any of that to the table.

Haven't we had this game before?

chess

A27_StarWolf said:
but, I miss some good Halo 3 maps :p

and you can still log on and play them on XBL. You can't do that with Halo or Halo 2. Halo 3 also threw equipment into the game. This isn't classic. I personally don't view dual wielding as classic either. Any one of these remakes in the classic list most certainly has to be better than any stock Reach map with exception to the Halo 2 remake Asylum. Am I right? It certainly won't be a perfect list but its the best we'll get (we being classic halo gameplay lovers) until 343i shows us some love.

Falagard

Tashi0106 said:
Haven't we had this game before?

Wow really? Did I say Halo 4 should have the same weapons, vehicles, equipment, powerups, maps, game types, enemies, campaign and graphics? I'm simply asking for the best core gameplay mechanics.

Kuroyume said:
Halo core gameplay:

Halo CE:/2 player base speed
Power ups
Grenades that bounce and that you can actually toss further than 8 feet
A decent sized jump
Halo 2 vehicles (not overpowered, easy to handle, don't last long just enough to get you places)
Lock on rockets for both air and land vehicles
Flag throwing (include an option to turn off the announcers voice for the bitches)
Halo 2 style assault arming. Pick up and drop the bomb before dying to keep it arming.
2 hit melee for oddball and bomb
No bloom
A pistol that people can stop bitching about. People like it overpowered so just give it to them like that. Stop it already.
Hitscan
No FRC for the Banshee
No deployable tools/armor stuff
Lots of teleporters
No elite slayer

I doubt that bloom is going to removed entirely from any future Halo titles because it's clear that it serves it's purpose as far as preventing precision based weapons from throwing off the balance of the entire sandbox. A simple option to adjust it, along with individual weapon sliders, would be more than satisfactory.

wwm0nkey

xxxstylzxxx said:
I doubt that bloom is going to removed entirely from any future Halo titles because it's clear that it serves it's purpose as far as preventing precision based weapons from throwing off the balance of the entire sandbox. A simple option to adjust it, along with individual weapon sliders, would be more than satisfactory.
It better either

A) Get completely removed and be like Halo 2

or

B) Nerf it so much you don't even realize it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
chess said:
and you can still log on and play them on XBL. You can't do that with Halo or Halo 2. Halo 3 also threw equipment into the game. This isn't classic. I personally don't view dual wielding as classic either. Any one of these remakes in the classic list most certainly has to be better than any stock Reach map with exception to the Halo 2 remake Asylum. Am I right? It certainly won't be a perfect list but its the best we'll get (we being classic halo gameplay lovers) until 343i shows us some love.

Do you have a different definition of classic than the one found in the dictionary? By definition, Halo 3 can be considered classic. =)

xxxstylzxxx said:

Wanna bet on it? ;)

Top Bottom