• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez

Jironimo said:
Wow dude. You are really overboard on the hate for this game. I think everyone has forgotten how much hate there was for H2 when it was around.

lol, the game is subpar (compared to past titles) to me, and a lot of other people, I don't really see that comment as hating, and especially not overboard, good grief.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn I just napped, forgot about the Montage LOL

hbXhS.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLOUYigpiI

Ok, here it is. As you'll see (hear actually) the music is pretty unconventional from what you'll see in Montages. I had this song stuck in my head and wondered if it could work for a Halo montage. I put it to a few clips to test and I liked the way it flowed a lot. All of these clips were taken from the last week. I must say that I had a pretty damn good week. It will be tough to top this one going forward. I want to thank Letters for the banner I think he did a really great job. Thanks again bro!

Lemme know what you guys think. Please, any feedback would be great.

Hydranockz said:
What's the DMR in your mind so? It is an all around versatile weapon. Difficult to master yet effective enough at most ranges.

The DMR in and of itself isn't that bad. Yes, being a single shot weapon it takes a little more skill to use than a burst fire BR. It's the number of shots it takes to kill in conjunction with bloom hampering its effective pace and the added caveat of armor abilities which all contribute to it feeling less than bad ass. I should gave been clearer in the final sentence of my last post: no bloom, quicker kill time, less magnetism (or something to that effect).

thee henery said:
The way I see it, there are two types of Halo fan...
Actually, I think there is a third type (among others I'm sure), and that type is the person like me who you know what, just likes playing halo.

Sure there are a bunch of things that might bother me from either camp, but overall I'm good with what I've gotten from Halo at every step of the way.

I'm the wide middle ground that makes up the vast majority of purchasers. I'm not a taste maker. I don't decide what's cool.

So how do you make halo for me? Do you even try?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:

hbXhS.png

Ok, here it is. As you'll see (hear actually) the music is pretty unconventional from what you'll see in Montages. I had this song stuck in my head and wondered if it could work for a Halo montage. I put it to a few clips to test and I liked the way it flowed a lot. All of these clips were taken from the last week. I must say that I had a pretty damn good week. It will be tough to top this one going forward. I want to thank Letters for the banner I think he did a really great job. Thanks again bro!

Inspired choice of music - you might want to put the music title in the video description some place.

What are you using to edit the videos and add titles? The text looks horrible and doesn't frame your sweet clips all that well.

Hey You

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember when I lurked Brian Jarrard posted here fairly frequently. What happened to him?
I wonder as well. I wonder if hes leaving Bungie, since it seems a position that sounds alot like what urk is currently doing, is open @ Bungie.

Hasn't been on Bungie.net since 10/14/10.

Ramirez

I know this is a waste of time, but I sure wish the BTB playlist would get updated and remove 90% of the trash. It should be strictly Slayer/CTF/Assault, the amount of Bro Slayer, Stockpile, and Headhunter is absurd, I refuse to believe anyone actually enjoys Stockpile on Hemorrhage, or how about a Headhunter where the best strategy is to let the enemy kill you on purpose from miles away and let your teammate scoop up your skull? lol -_-

Striker

Ramirez said:
I know this is a waste of time, but I sure wish the BTB playlist would get updated and remove 90% of the trash. It should be strictly Slayer/CTF/Assault, the amount of Bro Slayer, Stockpile, and Headhunter is absurd, I refuse to believe anyone actually enjoys Stockpile on Hemorrhage, or how about a Headhunter where the best strategy is to let the enemy kill you on purpose from miles away and let your teammate scoop up your skull? lol -_-
It seems like there's a thread asking where Assault is daily on B.net.

I agree... not sure why it's seemingly been neglected. The time it gets the attention is when they add more Slayer into it. :\

Tashi

Dani said:
Inspired choice of music - you might want to put the music title in the video description some place.

What are you using to edit the videos and add titles? The text looks horrible and doesn't frame your sweet clips all that well.

Yea you're right, I totally forgot.

The way I did the text is I opened up Paint.net, got a clear 640x480 canvas and then just wrote the text on there. I imported it into my video editing program and added the fade in and fade out effects. That's really it. It looks shitty because it's just plain text and is in a low resolution. :/

Ok I am serious here. Why am I the only one that wants to know what happened to proper sudden death?

I mean I can't be the only one that realized that some of the best moments in Objective history come in those nail biting seconds between 5 and 0?

That the sudden death created beautiful tension, it kept the element of teamwork through the decision when or not to begin the final assault, or deciding to find the bomb guy or not.

Objective feels like a sham when overtime means absolutely nothing.

Kuroyume

Banned
The worst is Elite Slayer. Got Elite Slayer on Hemmorhage the last time I played in BTB and I couldn't last longer than a few minutes. It was just so annoying. I absolutely hate Elite Slayer. Played so much of it in Multi Team and I can't stand it.

Really don't understand the hate Stockpile gets on here. Seems like the one good new thing in Reach compared to Invasion, Elite Slayer, and Headhunter. I enjoy it.

Kibbles

neoism said:
fuckkk... just seen the message at the end... :( RIP
Aww man, I didn't even see that, I turn off annotations because it's usually just spam that gets in the way on youtube. =( RIP.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
lol, the game is subpar (compared to past titles) to me, and a lot of other people, I don't really see that comment as hating, and especially not overboard, good grief.

JEEZ, RAM, STOP HATING SO MUCH, DUDE. GOD.

Hey You

Team Classic will be available in the Community category. The gametypes used in Team Classic won't be found in any other playlists
Action Sack:
It will be on par with other Competitive and Community playlists.

Give us some info on Power Slayer while you're at it you old fox.
I'm not 100% sure because this is from memory and my brain is pretty full, but...

Basic Kill = Increased movement speed
Melee Kill = Overshield + increased movement speed
Assassination Kill = Uber Active Camo + increased movement speed
Headshot = Increased damage + Increased movement speed

It's all configurable in the custom game options as well.
Sounds Interesting. I wonder what the weapon starts will be.

Seems that the bonus compliments how you got the kill too. I can't wait for it. It'll probably be my warm-up zone as well as a place in between Swat or Snipers. Awesome stuff.

Trasher

neoism said:
IT isn't that bad. In fact Reach has the best melee system in the series. The lunge is the best also(As in not that bad).. H2 was the worst the 3s. I haven't noticed it at all. Hell even the sword lunge isn't as bad as H2's.
True. I agree with you in that respect. But I do not enjoy the lunge aspect. I liked the proximity of melee in CE the best.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Power Slayer seems really interesting, cant wait to see what people will also do with that game type with custom options.
Yeah more than any other update since launch, I can't wait tinker with the options on that one. You could even conceivably combine benefits and handicaps for various kills, such as overshields and reduced movement speed for certain behaviors. Will be fun to tinker with.
Karl2177 said:
I wonder how they did that, because I was under the impression that the mainmenu.map file couldn't be edited without a TU.
I assume it uses the existing inherited traits system, and the built-in gameplay editor that Bungie can tinker with.

Pennybags

Do we even know if we will actually get any new options to play with? Wouldn't we just get the edited official gametypes with only the 'normal' traits configurable?

Because things like not being to able to see vehicle speed/the rollover counter without the gametype being edited from rocket race upset me.

EDIT: Thanks so very much for the code, Domino! Already PM'ed it to him.
EDIT 2: Never mind about my configuration concerns- Read the update more thoroughly.

I thought a player could activate the landmines by going near them to detonate a second or two afterwards... Whatever happened that functionality?

Tashi0106 said:

I really liked the music choice. Jolly good.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah more than any other update since launch, I can't wait tinker with the options on that one. You could even conceivably combine benefits and handicaps for various kills, such as overshields and reduced movement speed for certain behaviors. Will be fun to tinker with.

I think this has been said before, but it'd be awesome if you could tie it to medals -- like making movement speed slower for getting a rejection medal. lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The file share daily keeps bugging out on me. I've repeated it three times now and each time I switch Halo back on the credits are missing and I have to redo it.

Hey You

Karl2177 said:
I wonder how they did that, because I was under the impression that the mainmenu.map file couldn't be edited without a TU.
They can edit and create gametypes and release via a file share or Matchmaking (I.e Rocket Race).

Hitmonchan107 said:
I think this has been said before, but it'd be awesome if you could tie it to medals -- like making movement speed slower for getting a rejection medal. lol
I think that may have been me :p Actually... I wonder if that is how they are actualy doing it. So far each criteria for the kill gives the player a different medal. The only exception to this is the standard kill which is more of a default value. Maybe AL could be tweaked in this manner after all....

blamite

Hitmonchan107 said:
I like this idea. Remove shields or something if you get a rejection or yoink. :p

Hydranockz said:
I think that may have been me :p Actually... I wonder if that is how they are actualy doing it. So far each criteria for the kill gives the player a different medal. The only exception to this is the standard kill which is more of a default value. Maybe AL could be tweaked in this manner after all....

I knew my brain didn't think of that on its own!

Why doesn't armor lock take out the user's shields as well? That's something I've been wondering.

Edit: I think blamite and I are running on the same wavelength. Crazy.

Pennybags said:
Pulse goes outwards, radiation shielding, Satanic manipulation, and/or wizardry.

Awww, I preferred magic. You took away my Shadowrun joke!

Pennybags

I still haven't played Highlands with 8v8 teams, heh.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Why doesn't armor lock take the user's shields out as well? That's something I've been wondering.
Pulse goes outwards, radiation shielding, satanic manipulation, and/or wizardry.

Karl2177

Hey You said:
They can edit and create gametypes and release via a file share or Matchmaking (I.e Rocket Race).
I haven't checked out Rocket Hog Race, but can as a user, can you edit the traits of it? Like vehicle choice or what not. I guess I was trying to get at the ability of the user to edit what the certain traits for getting a pummel, not just Bungie.

Hey You

Karl2177 said:
I haven't checked out Rocket Hog Race, but can as a user, can you edit the traits of it? Like vehicle choice or what not. I guess I was trying to get at the ability of the user to edit what the certain traits for getting a pummel, not just Bungie.
Edit what vehicles you use for Racing? Yes.

And for editing the traits for doing different kills, not yet. But once the gametype is released, you will be able to edit the traits for yourself.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
The file share daily keeps bugging out on me. I've repeated it three times now and each time I switch Halo back on the credits are missing and I have to redo it.
I just put a clip in my file share and bam, credits.

I don't think anyone watches these, but I'll keep posting them anyways. One of the most intense and protracted last man standing episodes I've had, on Beachhead. I thought I was a dead man several times over. (It's not announced, but I became LMS when the dude behind me quit; the other two were dead. I realized I could loot his corpse when I got desperate.)

<3 Firefight

Tashi

Thanks Five

CyReN said:
Nice montage, I see you play a decent amount of MLG. Gone to any events yet? I'll probably be at Columbus.

Can't wait to watch the event next weekend.

Thanks. Yea, MLG is really all I play. I've never competed in an event but I did go to one years ago. Playoffs in 06. I miss NYC events. I had a team for Dallas next week but lack of enough money stopped me from going. :(

So, I've been Crysis 2 lately, and the Singleplayer reminds me a bit of Halo. I mean that in a sense that the level design for the Campaign has a similar feel. There are levels that are huge and there are many ways to tackle a mission, and yet there are "corridor" levels where there's only one way through. Also combine that with the Nano Suit abilities and it sort of gives off a Halo vibe. Oh, and the Alien soldiers remind me of Elites. They even sort of act like Elites, but they can actually run on walls.

But there are also many differences too, so don't think I said Crysis 2 = Halo. :p

wwm0nkey

-Yeti said:
So, I've been Crysis 2 lately, and the Singleplayer reminds me a bit of Halo. I mean that in a sense that the level design for the Campaign has a similar feel. There are levels that are huge and there are many ways to tackle a mission, and yet there are "corridor" levels where there's only one way through. Also combine that with the Nano Suit abilities and it sort of gives off a Halo vibe.

But there are also many differences too, so don't think I said Crysis 2 = Halo. :p
Still need to pick Crysis 2 up, didn't really dig the changes they made to the MP though.

wwm0nkey said:
Still need to pick Crysis 2 up, didn't really dig the changes they made to the MP though.

I haven't played much of the MP since that Stress Test/Beta type thing.

But it's worth buying just for the Singleplayer. So good.

KevinRo

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks Five

Thanks. Yea, MLG is really all I play. I've never competed in an event but I did go to one years ago. Playoffs in 06. I miss NYC events. I had a team for Dallas next week but lack of enough money stopped me from going. :(

Go to an event already, noob.

They have mlg meadowlands every year and had the Reach combine in D.C. earlier.

A27 Tawpgun said:
If that makes sense. Honestly, I never realized how bad the BR spread was until I played Halo 3 again.

I used to complain about the H3 BR and then after playing Reach for a few months I went to go play H3 and was BLOWN away by how bad the spread was.

Power Slayer sounds cool, so does Speedpile and Speedflag. Action Sack is going to be fun, along with the classic playlist of course.

Kibbles

Lead Based Paint said:
Ok I am serious here. Why am I the only one that wants to know what happened to proper sudden death?

I mean I can't be the only one that realized that some of the best moments in Objective history come in those nail biting seconds between 5 and 0?

That the sudden death created beautiful tension, it kept the element of teamwork through the decision when or not to begin the final assault, or deciding to find the bomb guy or not.

Objective feels like a sham when overtime means absolutely nothing.
Halo 2 had the best sudden death epic games ever. I wish that have saved films... with saved voice chat :p

Raide

Tashi0106 said:

Nice Montage. Even though your killing people, the music makes it seems very relaxing. :D

I am thinking of making my own Montage but with me being rubbish and dying in pathetic ways. Going to call it the Derptage.

JonCha

Sick montage Tashi. Love how you didn't go down the usual Halo soundtrack of cookie cutter metal song route. Annoys me to no end how almost everyone seems to do that.

witness

Whelp going to finally hit Lt. Col. tonight when I can play after work, those firefight challenges ensures that after just a game or two of arcade. Lets do this.

wwm0nkey said:
The great hour long 1 flag matches on Headlong, best games EVER :D
The BTB games in Halo2 were so good. And Headlong was my favorite map. It's gut wrenching to know how good we had it then, even with all of Halo 2's network problems, cheaters, and super bouncers. I'd welcome it back in a heartbeat.

Deputy Moonman said:
The BTB games in Halo2 were so good. And Headlong was my favorite map. It's gut wrenching to know how good we had it then, even with all of Halo 2's network problems, cheaters, and super bouncers. I'd welcome it back in a heartbeat.
Dude, do you even play Reach?

Top Bottom