• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Deputy Moonman said:
The BTB games in Halo2 were so good. And Headlong was my favorite map. It's gut wrenching to know how good we had it then, even with all of Halo 2's network problems, cheaters, and super bouncers. I'd welcome it back in a heartbeat.
So yeah about my avatar.... :lol

seriously though Halo 2 XBLA with Reach's netcode would be amazing.

Tawpgun

Which reminds me.

In Halo 4... actual sudden death. And not this extra 30 seconds crap or something. If there's a tie, and the flag is out, at least make it two minutes or something.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
Which reminds me.

In Halo 4... actual sudden death. And not this extra 30 seconds crap or something. If there's a tie, and the flag is out, at least make it two minutes or something.
I wish there was a way to implement what MLG does. Each CTF gametype is 30 minutes long. If a game of CTF isn't tied when 15 minutes are up, the team with the most caps wins. If a team has a flag out when the 15 minutes pass, the game continues until the flag is returned. If there's a tie at 15 minutes, the game continues until the next flag is capped. It's an honor based system but it works because they have referees and shit.

edit: And thanks for the comments guys :)

Raide

A27 Tawpgun said:
Which reminds me.

Do something crazy like...

(1) Sudden Death, once player dies, no respawn. So have it last flag-carrier standing.

(2) Team to grab the flag next gets speed bonus and over-shield.

(3) All players loose their AA's and weapons, replaced with PP.

Or something random like that. :D

Tawpgun

I wish Team Tactical would come back, but if it doesn't can it at least be placed in Action Sack? It would be a life based game. Team Tactical Hardcore would be one life, regular would be 3 or something.

No Radar, DMR Starts, Only Sprint, Hologram, Jetpack.

I don't understand the need for Sudden Death at all, honestly. It just confuses the issue and leads to dumb situations. One of the great advantages of videogames is they can do perfect, unimpeachable timekeeping. Give us what's on the clock and then stop it.

Pennybags

Shake Appeal said:
I don't understand the need for Sudden Death at all, honestly. It just confuses the issue and leads to dumb situations. One of the great advantages of videogames is they can do perfect, unimpeachable timekeeping. Give us what's on the clock and then stop it.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Most gametypes give us more than enough time, anyways.

The other problem with Sudden Death is it's one more thing (like flag return times) that probably should be adjusted on a map by map basis, and that's just one additional layer of finicky balancing and testing to worry about.

(And the more things that are variable lead to more confusion, especially among random or non-communicative players. If there's just one clock counting down in the corner that's the same for everyone regardless of ruleset or map, everyone knows when the game will end, under all conditions.)

ShinAmano

So since I had not played Halo in a while I popped it in last night. The news that LASO now does not include blind made me give it a shot...

I tried it with a second controller plugged in...I made it all the way past the second tower and all the tanks to where the choppers fly you down the canyon...could not beat that for anything. Just getting past the first bridge was difficult.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
343 really should make a Little Big Halo when it comes to settings :lol

That would be pretty crazy. Forge always was a basic block editor, damn, even the DoomED stuff was more complex. :D I would love 343 to go a bit bonkers and make a really deep level and gameplay editor.

NOKYARD said:
Oh, no you haven't!

We are about to post a new SLASO run which is one minute faster and, since it is a High Speed Halo submission, there is no HUD on this one.
The one I was watching had no HUD, but I'm all about seeing what this shorter run looks like.

wwm0nkey

Raide said:
That would be pretty crazy. Forge always was a basic block editor, damn, even the DoomED stuff was more complex. :D I would love 343 to go a bit bonkers and make a really deep level and gameplay editor.
I really hope they do it would be great.

Also since I think the general stance is that we want a geometry editor we should probably get that too.

Relaly though just let us make .maps and do it efficiently like FC2 so it only takes up 10-50MB a map. I have no problem with that at all.

Shake Appeal said:

Im sorry but this is so wrong I don't know how you believe it.

Objective games have never been the same since they butchered sudden death to not even be sudden death. Giving you an actual overtime if you still had the objective in your hand was the best system, period. How could you go away from this?

There is literally nothing worse than having the flag or bomb in SUDDEN DEATH and then watching the game ends as we are arming it or 2 feet from the flag.

An overtime that doesn't even let you finish your fucking attack is a sham. Its a stupid system that nothing else uses because of its absurdity.

Just a few musings on gameplay and whatnot.

Ghal had an interesting point about level design over the course of the series and weapon selection. The ability to constantly pick out the best weapons for a given situation undermines the limitation of having two weapons in the first place.

As Ghal also points out, the weapon choice in Halo can make for completely different playthroughs. If I use the sniper inside the ship on T&R, that gives me an advantage in some situations, but makes me weaker in others. I can't simply abandon the sniper somewhere safe in the knowledge that I'll be given a new one the next time it would come in handy.

It really does feel more like a choice which has a huge impact on gameplay, and it adds a lot to the replay value because different choices can give such a varied experience. I also recommend going through T&R with a plasma pistol/plasma rifle combo at some point; the close combat is awesome!

Dual wielding should not come back because it doesn't really add anything. If you balance around having two guns, then having one tends to be useless. If you make them both equal then it makes dual wielding pointless.

A few things I would like to see return are higher carrying capacities for ammo (+grenades) for the non-power weapons. Because Covenant weapons in H1 had a unique feel to them instead of simply being effectively copies of UNSC weaponry this was useful in allowing the player to pick the weapons they wanted to use without forcing them into using other ones through a lack of ammo. This can be seen most readily on AotCR which has so many ways to tackle it!

I'd also like to see melee strength affected by momentum, as it was in earlier games. Being able to gain a more powerful attack by jumping down at the right moment (when the lunge didn't mess it up) added another layer of strategy that was needlessly removed.

YEA AND NOT THIS SUDDEN DEATH WHERE YOU ARM THE BOMB AND THEN THE GAME ENDS WHILE THE BOMB COUNTS DOWN, WITHOUT YOUR POINT COUNTING SO YOU LOSE WHEN YOU WERE JUST AS GOOD AS THE OTHER TEAM AND OUTSLAYED THEM COMPLETELY!

(Fix your fucking shit Bungie, did you even play your game before you released it, holy shit this game is broke)

There moonman, theres the old Juices!

My point is still valid whether I'm mean or nice about it! How fucked is that?

chess said:
Next Halo requests:

Individual weapon characteristics control. Clip size, damage
All characteristics control in 1% increments
Vertical look sensitivity adjustments!
Custom controller mapping
Better Forge/Map editor options to make exactly what you want. texture, color, shape
Searchable custom games on weekends during higher player count or special dates.

Yea seperation of X and Y sensitivity was most def on my list of things the next Halo needed, that no Bungie employee seemed to read. Theres no fucking way in hell you look up and down as much as you look left and right, in saying thats true you agree the look sensitivity should be different and stuff of that nature and such and whatnot.

chess

Next Halo requests:

Individual weapon characteristics control. Clip size, damage
All characteristics control in 1% increments
Vertical look sensitivity adjustments!
Custom controller mapping
Better Forge/Map editor options to make exactly what you want. texture, color, shape
Searchable custom games on weekends during higher player count or special dates.

I realize this is a lot of UI work!

Lead Based Paint said:
Im sorry but this is so wrong I don't know how you believe it.

Objective games have never been the same since they butchered sudden death to not even be sudden death. Giving you an actual overtime if you still had the objective in your hand was the best system, period. How could you go away from this?

There is literally nothing worse than having the flag or bomb in SUDDEN DEATH and then watching the game ends as we are arming it or 2 feet from the flag.

An overtime that doesn't even let you finish your fucking attack is a sham. Its a stupid system that nothing else uses because of its absurdity.

Do people not remember the incredible griefing that went along with this? The teams that would just grab the bomb and hide, or would jump into the vents in foundation, or banshee ride in headlong. This was one of the single most abused elements in Halo 2, and as good as epic last minute stands could be, it gave a few players an incredible amount of power to ruin the experiences of everyone else.

This is a much bigger issue than the lack of a sudden death timer, and way more ridiculous.

kylej

Banned
Raide said:

I wouldn't "love" that, I expect it. Forge in Reach is a joke. They should rename that mode Crate & Barrel because that's about all you have to work with. Full on Far Cry 2 editor in 343i game or bust.

MackVee

Neo Member
Just spent my points for the Defiant map pack on Halo CE for 800 points. I was weak, but damn even after 10 years it's still a fantastic game. It's aged well and hope 343 don't release a remake. I'd rather see Halo 2 on Xbox Arcade this November with full MP support. Let it happen, please.

electricpirate said:
Do people not remember the incredible griefing that went along with this? The teams that would just grab the bomb and hide, or would jump into the vents in foundation, or banshee ride in headlong. This was one of the single most abused elements in Halo 2, and as good as epic last minute stands could be, it gave a few players an incredible amount of power to ruin the experiences of everyone else.

This is a much bigger issue than the lack of a sudden death timer, and way more ridiculous.

Considering how much objective I played, you are exaggerating this "issue" by leaps and bounds.

It was part of the game, and it was part of your job as the defense to root out the people with the bomb but at the same time making sure your base isn't open to attack.

Some of my greatest attacks and defends are all in this window between when sudden death starts and when it gets longer than you want. There was a huge element of strategy when it came to holding the bomb or the flag somewhere on the map while your team gets ready to attempt the final attack. Were there games when you could not find the bomb guy as quickly as you wanted to? Yes, but the vast majority of these games came from super bouncing which is no longer in Halo.

And I'm sorry but I am getting sick of the lack of feedback on this issue. It is not fair to see objective the way it is right now! Shit like the stuff above me SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN considering you guys got it right years ago.

Tashi

kylej said:
I wouldn't "love" that, I expect it. Forge in Reach is a joke. They should rename that mode Crate & Barrel because that's about all you have to work with. Full on Far Cry 2 editor in 343i game or bust.
I haven't played FarCry 2 but what disappoints me most about Reach Forge is the unstable framerate it creates.

Tashi0106 said:
I haven't played FarCry 2 but what disappoints me most about Reach Forge is the unstable framerate it creates.

Mine would be, "fuck five diferent forge maps to choose from, lets make it one big maps and make it look all the same!"

"Yeah, and while were at it, they'l be only one aesthetic type of forge objects!"

"Great idea! I hear grey is in this year."

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qa-naczjg

Released 2 years before Halo: Reach ^^^

Halo 3 Forge:
H3_DLC_Foundry_Environment-Forge01.jpg

3 years of development time:

halo_reach_forge_world_1.jpg

Nailed it.

kylej said:
FC2 editor didn't function that well with a controller. It was easy to create beautiful maps but it was hard to create competitive maps just like it was in Halo 3 before all the glitches were found.

kylej

Banned
Barrel Cannon said:
FC2 editor didn't function that well with a controller. It was easy to create beautiful maps but it was hard to create competitive maps just like it was in Halo 3 before all the glitches were found.

I'll take 1/2 over 0/2. A pretty Sanctuary instead of Gray Block Sanctuary would go a long way.

Tashi0106 said:
This is one of my biggest gripes too. It really effects the ability to snipe effectively for me. The first time I noticed it wasn't even in forge, it was in an mp game on asylum.

kylej said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qa-naczjg

Released 2 years before Halo: Reach ^^^

Halo 3 Forge:
H3_DLC_Foundry_Environment-Forge01.jpg

3 years of development time:

halo_reach_forge_world_1.jpg

Nailed it.
Your comparing a small forgeable map to the largest Halo playable map in history. Try comparing it to sandbox instead.

But if your trying to say we need a small fully forgeable map like foundry then I wholeheartedly agree

xxjuicesxx said:
My point is still valid whether I'm mean or nice about it! How fucked is that?
I, for one, love the 'new' juices.

Tashi0106 said:
Don't even get me started. Forge World is not what I was expecting, and that's not a good thing.

Kuroyume

Banned
When you create a map on Forgeworld does it render the rest of Forgeworld too? Say for example I am playing Asylum and if the barriers didn't exist could I break out of that spot and explore the rest of Forgeworld during a game?

Tashi

Is the lack of color options that big of a deal to you guys? I don't really mind that it's all grey all the time. As long as the map plays fine, I'm satisfied. I'm not saying I'm against variety I just don't think it's a big deal.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Is the lack of color options that big of a deal to you guys? I don't really mind that it's all grey all the time. As long as the map plays fine, I'm satisfied. I'm not saying I'm against variety I just don't think it's a big deal.
Yeah the colors don't bother me, it's all about the design. It's further mitigated by outdoor maps, which add some variety.

My biggest problem with Forge World is all the extra space that isn't usable as building territory, and the map needs more of that. It's not only wasted space, but eats into the overall resource budget, so many maps have slowdown issues.

I hadn't see the Far Cry 2 editor before. That was jaw-dropping.

Kuroyume said:
When you create a map on Forgeworld does it render the rest of Forgeworld too? Say for example I am playing Asylum and if the barriers didn't exist could I break out of that spot and explore the rest of Forgeworld during a game?

Yes, I believe so.

zlatko

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

I love color in my games. I think in the case of Reach the best part of the single player to me was how well the environment and back drops looked. It was a shame the game launched on so many maps that didn't use the planet(the big star) to create a dynamic environment for all the carnage.

A solid example of a shooter that does this is Killzone 2 and 3. Most of the maps are pulled from segments in the single player and tend to have an awesome look to them. Gears of War 2 was another good example of this too.

I also hope the next Halo lets us color our spartans armor pieces more. Two-tone just isn't enough to make my character look just like Carter.

Tashi0106 said:
I don't really mind the grey, but what really gets to me is that if you want to use lights on a map to create a little diversity in color, you'll cause massive framerate issues. With all of the incredible structures that people came up with in H3, I'm baffled that FW wasn't put through the stress testing that is sorely needed to keep up with what the community can produce. A Far Cry-type editor would be ideal, but I think the forge community has proven beyond all doubt that we don't need it, just a canvas that works as advertised.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah the colors don't bother me, it's all about the design. It's further mitigated by outdoor maps, which add some variety.

My biggest problem with Forge World is all the extra space that isn't usable as building territory, and the map needs more of that. It's not only wasted space, but eats into the overall resource budget, so many maps have slowdown issues.

Well than, this will further make your jaw drop, we need this Frankie! (shame the game was repetetive crap).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yN0M8LUZTE

^Halo maps

Louis Wu

Hydranockz said:
Fair point, but I always thought the risk/reward element was a good mechanic in Halo. Sure you can stick to a safe 90. Or you take the risk of going faster and you either spin out and have the dude going at 90 calmly drive by or else you nudge ahead and win the duel. I like that personally.

Edit: So I was doing the LASO run on my own, with that handy tip I learned of, and I was doing everything pretty well according to RC's run. Got up to the top of the spire and that's when I overlooked a little detail. Download to your 360 for some unfortunate hilarity. As a side note to that, holy fuck that elite was quick! Scared the shit out of me...
Rendered. That made me LAUGH. :)

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think anyone watches these, but I'll keep posting them anyways. One of the most intense and protracted last man standing episodes I've had, on Beachhead.
I watch 'em. They're great. ;)

Kuroyume

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Yes, I believe so.

Does that make any sense to anyone? Maybe it doesn't make a difference to the framerate but it would seem that not rendering all that stuff could improve things for some maps.

GhaleonEB said:

Tashi0106 said:

Take a step back and please read your posts again. Am i really hearing this correctly?

It is a sad day. Ghaleon you talk about one color being fine as long as the design is good. Well designs are shitty when they all look the same.

You're contradicting yourself when you acknowledge the obvious mistakes Bungie has been making in other parts of the game but then excuse them for taking a shortcuts elsewhere.

TL:DR Forgeworld is not acceptable

GhaleonEB

Lead Based Paint said:
Take a step back and please read your posts again. Am i really hearing this correctly?

It is a sad day. Ghaleon you talk about one color being fine as long as the design is good. Well designs are shitty when they all look the same.

You're contradicting yourself when you acknowledge the obvious mistakes Bungie has been making in other parts of the game but then excuse them for taking a shortcuts elsewhere.

TL:DR Forgeworld is not acceptable
You misunderstand. Two things.

One, how a game plays and how it looks are two different things. Would I prefer a prettier, more varied and colorful Forge palette and full fledged map editor? Of course. Duh.

But during a game, I don't pay much attention to looks. I'm focused on playing the game. How it plays is primary, visuals are secondary. The Forge World object palette is pretty good for what it is designed for. Which is not to say I wouldn't like it to be better. You need to hold both of those thoughts in your head at the same time. This is not a binary thing. Forge and Forge World are functional, but flawed.

Kuroyume said:
Does that make any sense to anyone? Maybe it doesn't make a difference to the framerate but it would seem that not rendering all that stuff could improve things for some maps.
You make total sense, and you can move out to any spot in forge world if no boundaries were set. That's how halo games have always been. There are structures and terrain in the distance that you can actually step on while others you can walk right through. The frame rate issues seem to mainly arise when you combine lots of items together and are seeing too many of those intersected items on screen at once.

chess

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea seperation of X and Y sensitivity was most def on my list of things the next Halo needed, that no Bungie employee seemed to read. Theres no fucking way in hell you look up and down as much as you look left and right, in saying thats true you agree the look sensitivity should be different and stuff of that nature and such and whatnot.

I still don't understand why it wasn't included in Reach. I mean it should have been a given with Jetpacks in the game.

GhaleonEB said:

I remember being in a session at PAX when they demoed the Far Cry 2 editor.

The audience gasped. Repeatedly.

Too bad the game surrounding it was apparently big on ideas and lacking in execution.

Pennybags

Reach's forge maps can be beautiful if crafted in a certain way (the amazing Tempest-Lockout, some Grifball courts), or if they use buildings sparsely.

The problem is that complex and densely-made maps end up looking like junkyard piles.

Pennybags said:
Reach's forge maps can be beautiful if crafted in a certain way (the amazing Tempest-Lockout, some Grifball courts), or if they use buildings sparsely.

The problem is that complex and densely-made maps end up looking like junkyard piles.

I'm sure the map creators prefer "dystopian settings" :p

Top Bottom