• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

The thing that always is a shot to the gut with Forgeworld is that you spawn in and because all you see in all directions is a mess of blue and gray, there's no way to tell what surfaces are near or far or detect shapes and contours. You basically have no idea what you're looking at. It's just a mess.

Also looks like there are a lot of people in here who didn't 'get' Far Cry 2. But that's a different thread.

Okay, here's my solution for sudden death and tie games.

Bonus Time
- If a flag/bomb is away when the normal game clock reaches zero (0:00), one minute (1:00) is added to the game.
- Jeff Steitzer's voice loudly proclaims "Bonus time."
- Bonus Time ends when the clock reaches zero (after one minute) or when all flags/bombs are returned to their spawn points.
- If the clock reaches zero and a flag is still away, Bonus Time still ends.

Sudden Death (Tiebreaker)
- If the game clock reaches zero and the two teams are tied, two minutes (2:00) are added to the clock.
- Jeff Steitzer's voice taunts "Sudden Death."
- Sudden Death ends when A) either team scores, or B) the clock reaches zero.
- If the score is still tied at the end of the two minutes, the game ends in a Tie.

Final Bonus
- If a flag/bomb is away when the Sudden Death clock reaches zero (0:00), thirty seconds (0:30) are added to the game.
- Jeff Steitzer's voice sighs and mentions "Final Bonus."
- Final Bonus ends when A) all flags are returned, B) any flag is scored, or C) the timer reaches zero.
- If the score is still tied at the end of the thirty seconds, the game ends in a Tie.

So at most the game can be extended by 3:30, but for that to happen a team would have to tie the game in Bonus Time and face a stalemate in Sudden Death. Normally the games will end on time or be extended just long enough for someone to finish that last score (or un-tie the game).

Obviously 1-Flag games can't have Sudden Death and must end in a Tie (or maybe one more half-time round of offense/defense each?) Tied Team Slayer games can go into "Sudden Death" where teams get 2 minutes to get the most kills (or the first to 10 kills in SD wins).

EDIT: Sudden Death takes priority over Bonus Time, so if the score is tied and a flag is away, Bonus Time gets skipped and the game goes straight to Sudden Death.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Halo needs less armor lock and more MAXIMUM ARMOR.

So, how's it going guys? I've been busy working on law enforcement applications, so I haven't been on much or on the boards much. Any new news?

wwm0nkey

Kibbles said:
Yea I'm pretty sure me and EazyB were begging for this in the years leading up to Reach. Hopefully 343 gets it right!
I really hope we do get a full map maker and again we technically still could get one in Reach with that creators club idea but find a way to make it free. Granted it would be a PC tool then.

EDIT: Oh shit he is back.

vhfive

Kibbles said:
Yea I'm pretty sure me and EazyB were begging for this in the years leading up to Reach. Hopefully 343 gets it right!
Anyone have a link to eazy's video of valhalla he created in Far Cry 2?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wwm0nkey said:
I really hope we do get a full map maker and again we technically still could get one in Reach with that creators club idea but find a way to make it free. Granted it would be a PC tool then.

EDIT: Oh shit he is back.

I've been back for a while, like I said, I haven't been posting/playing much because I've been busy with applications/background checks.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:

I am sure I remember Bungie saying they always meant Forge to be pretty basic. I actually think that was a big mistake. Looking at Reach now, it has good support from the Forge Community. Now if only they had actually given them some amazing tools to play with. :D

I love Forge and spend hours making maps but slapping grey blocks next to other grey blocks does get pretty boring. Only having 2 lights means you cannot use these to make some more varied coloured areas.

wwm0nkey

Wait guys I have a better idea for my "Halo Creators Club" idea. How about only Bungie Pro members get access to the tools to make the .maps and publish them? Or since its not to much a year have that also be what allows you to download them.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
Wait guys I have a better idea for my "Halo Creators Club" idea. How about only Bungie Pro members get access to the tools to make the .maps and publish them? Or since its not to much a year have that also be what allows you to download them.

I got Bungie Pro just for more slots to put in more maps. :D I would happily pay more to have the HCC (Halo Creators Club) feature.

wwm0nkey

Ok so how does this sound to you guys

Halo creators Club app - allows you to find, download and test maps
When a creator is done with his map on the PC he can send it in for public or private play testing to see if its all good.

All maps are fee

Requires a Bungie Pro (or 343 pro) subscription to build and download these maps.

Also gives you access to the Game Type editor.

wwm0nkey said:

When a creator is done with his map on the PC he can send it in for public or private play testing to see if its all good.

All maps are fee

Requires a Bungie Pro (or 343 pro) subscription to build and download these maps.

Wait a sec! Didn't you post that already a few pages ago?

I'll be on Reach from now until 7:30 p.m. EST (Gators vs. BYU in the Sweet 16! The Gators might get its ass kicked by Jimmer "The Mormon God-king" Fredette, but it'll be interesting.)

Send me a message. I'll invite you in. We'll dong on people for awhile.

Edit: Even if you're a lurker. I don't care. I actually want to play with some people today.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Wait a sec! Didn't you post that already a few pages ago?
No my other version required a $50 yearly subscription to just MAKE the maps, this is a much more streamlined version. Also I think A LOT more people would actually like my newer version.

EDIT: Keep in mind this could happen and could add completely new maps into the MM rotation for free and for ANY Bungie Pro member.

wwm0nkey said:

All maps are fee

I like this. Maybe charge like $20 for the Map Editor app, then $5-$10 a month for a Halo Creator Club subscription.

Do like the Rock Band Network, where when you're done creating a map you upload it for testing by the HCC community.
Once a map has been tested/rated by enough community members with a high enough average rating, 343 does their own final testing on it (also checking for objectionable content) and bundles a batch together to release as a free Map Pack for ALL Halo players and integrates it into matchmaking.

Mapmakers that get their content included in a Map Pack get a free 1-month HCC subscription as compensation (and so they can build/test more good maps). The also get a cookie (or star, whatever).

The map editor can't take imported textures, but there is a wide selection located within the program to choose from (and these textures are also on the Halo 4 retail disc). So you're still limited to what is in the game, but now you can create your own shapes and apply a specific texture to the surfaces. Maybe even include a rudimentary light mapping process.

So:
- Microsoft still gets money (only now instead of everyone paying $10/pack only the map makers and people who want to test maps pay). If it works, this could also improve sales of the game if people see a ton of free map packs released.
- The matchmaking population isn't split into groups how can/can't afford the DLC. The only fragmentation comes from only letting HCC members play and test on unreleased maps (the same people that would be testing in Forge/customs anyways).

EDIT: I still don't see this as being something Microsoft would go for. Not to mention the amount of work it would take to create a proper map editor and distribution structure. But it's always fun to brainstorm/daydream.

Oh man, this Forge talk brings back memories. I remember going on campaigns to get Forge to be like the Far Cry map editor. Obviously my "campaigns" didn't really work. :(

Here's to hoping for a similar editor in 343i's Halo.

A certain someone has been spending quite a bit of time on the *cough* "Xbox 360 Dashboard" *cough*

I hope that means Bungie's development on its new IP is going smoothly.

Louis Wu

KevinRo said:
For all you guys putting out scrub montages or just want to see one of the greatest montages ever, here is one from Halo1 on XBC and LAN. This one was made waayyyy before all the current montages you see, and practically spawned the halo montage craze.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/rippon-halo-1-montage/81031
Heh - I had nice things to say about that when it came out. :)

Whoa, odd - that version on GameTrailers seems to be a new cut. It's a minute longer than the original (though it uses the same music) - and the clips are in a slightly different order. Bizarre.

If you want to see what he ORIGINALLY released, it's linked here.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kibbles said:
I pretty much had a near full on meltdown when they showed off Forge 2.0.

wwm0nkey

Louis Wu said:
What... you didn't think the post you made 23 minutes before this one was enough publicity for that?
Nope :lol

I don't know im a bit off the ball today :/

EDIT: Also sorry guys if I get super annoying, I get that way sometimes. Really don't know why.

Louis Wu

wwm0nkey said:
Nope :lol

I don't know im a bit off the ball today :/

EDIT: Also sorry guys if I get super annoying, I get that way sometimes. Really don't know why.
rofl - don't mind me, I'm not the police around here. It just seemed... overanxious, I guess. :)

A27_StarWolf said:
Hitmonchan107 and I are playing big team battle, with randoms... and you know what?

ITS ACTUALLY FUN.
NO WEI

wwm0nkey

Louis Wu said:
rofl - don't mind me, I'm not the police around here. It just seemed... overanxious, I guess. :)
Nah I can just tell im a bit off of it today...well the past few days actually XD

But on another note what do you guys think of the Q&A thing I made on the waypoint forums?

Good games Starfleets and Gluon Gunner, pretty random to get matched up with you guys. :p Sorry for being in party chat, I was only really on Xbox to talk to someone through a party - I didnt really have my head in the game lol.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
Yea you're right, I totally forgot.

The way I did the text is I opened up Paint.net, got a clear 640x480 canvas and then just wrote the text on there. I imported it into my video editing program and added the fade in and fade out effects. That's really it. It looks shitty because it's just plain text and is in a low resolution. :/
Is it your program that's outputting to that res or is it your card? If it's the program you can just send me the project file and I'll add the text and render it in Adobe Premiere, After Effects for you.

Also holy shit this is completely offtopic but my cat just did a barrel roll behind my laptop when trying to shift to the other side :lol

A27_StarWolf said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but.

Do you think it is possible that the forgeworld's limited color's are a result of the maps size?
No, the DDS file format that they use is locked to certain canvas sizes, not pixel information. It would have no effect on performance.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok dont know how big the file was but I was able to download a ascension remake in like 2 seconds...
I have no idea how their systems work, but I assume the only thing you are downloading is a heightmap and then all the rest is exactly like a forge usermap file.

Pennybags

bobs99 ... said:
Good games Starfleets and Gluon Gunner, pretty random to get matched up with you guys. :p Sorry for being in party chat, I was only really on Xbox to talk to someone through a party - I didnt really have my head in the game lol.

I'm so sorry for quitting during the Highlands game. I had just realized that I was VERY late in picking up my stepsister from her band practice across town, and had to bail.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MrBig said:
Is it your program that's outputting to that res or is it your card? If it's the program you can just send me the project file and I'll add the text and render it in Adobe Premiere, After Effects for you.

Also holy shit this is completely offtopic but my cat just did a barrel roll behind my laptop when trying to shift to the other side :lol

No, the DDS file format that they use is locked to certain canvas sizes, not pixel information. It would have no effect on performance.
Well I'm capturing in 640x480 so I'm outputting 640x480 and I thought it would be fine to create the title in paint.net in that resolution. I've actually figured out another solution but thanks for the offer anyway. That's very nice of you.

KevinRo

Louis Wu said:
Heh - I had nice things to say about that when it came out. :)

Whoa, odd - that version on GameTrailers seems to be a new cut. It's a minute longer than the original (though it uses the same music) - and the clips are in a slightly different order. Bizarre.

If you want to see what he ORIGINALLY released, it's linked here.

I only linked that because all the youtube videos had the music disabled.

ACTUALLY, if you want to see the ORIGINAL footage, he has both screens showing to different music. I just really like the Led Zeppelin one :)

wwm0nkey

We really do need a map maker in the next Halo game not a object editor.

The 2 options would be.

A) Just do a far cry thing and have it included

B) Something like my Bungie Pro subscription idea

Honestly I am fine with either, just give us a damn map maker. The B option could be used on 3 and Reach though.

Also give us the option to just customize the hell out of everything, including weapon damage and ect.

Louis Wu

NOKYARD said:
Here it is.

RC Master knocks Tip of the Spear SLASO down to 11:00. Runs submitted to HighSpeedHalo.net require the Blind skull to be turned on, but we post Bungie's LASO Challenge runs as well.

Dani makes a cameo at the start.
Just watched that run - I'm curious as to how the calculation is done?

Using YouTube's timer, it looks like he comes out of the opening cutscene at 0:27, and triggers the final cutscene at 11:52 - that seems like 11:25 to me, not 11:00. Is the YouTube video stretched or something?

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
We really do need a map maker in the next Halo game not a object editor.

The 2 options would be.

A) Just do a far cry thing and have it included

B) Something like my Bungie Pro subscription idea

Honestly I am fine with either, just give us a damn map maker. The B option could be used on 3 and Reach though.

Also give us the option to just customize the hell out of everything, including weapon damage and ect.
As much as I'd love for this I have to say enough. We get it.

We we won't be getting is what you're asking for. If Bungie, 343's next games will be on PC then everything is solved. There will be no subscription service no matter what. There may be a crysis 2 like developer pipeline (I don't actually know if there is a way to broadly publish console maps) or nothing at all. I can see Bungie putting in the time to satisfy the creative needs of their fans if that is the case but everything else is unknown.

Top Bottom