• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
As much as I'd love for this I have to say enough. We get it.

We we won't be getting is what you're asking for. If Bungie, 343's next games will be on PC then everything is solved. There will be no subscription service no matter what. There may be a crysis 2 like developer pipeline (I don't actually know if there is a way to broadly publish console maps) or nothing at all. I can see Bungie putting in the time to satisfy the creative needs of their fans if that is the case but everything else is unknown.
I heard the Cryengine 3 pipeline is pretty damn sweet and easy to use.

I dont know though I just really don't think I could handle another object editor at all :(

Good games last night guys. I haven't been keeping up with the thread like I should but any news on when we can expect some Double Exp weekends to try and get more people playing?

GhaleonEB

I do love Firefight Challenge days. Knocked all of them off early this morning in a few games. Meatier than the last all FF ones as well.

I had feared this was going to happen, but I've now seen Unearthed vetoed a few times in Firefight Limited. The folks in there that have it are presumably among the more serious and active players, since they A) have the new DLC and B) are in the sparsely populated and challenging Limited playlist. I'm guessing it's because the map is actually difficult to hold down - the reason I like it - but I was hoping players wouldn't start so soon. It was vetoed from the first option last night, ended up with Beachhead (which is probably my favorite map from the shipping set, so I wasn't too broken up).

Which is a long way to say, if anyone wants to hop into Limited and try and get some Unearthed going, shoot me an invite. I'm on playing Firefight most nights around 8:00 pacific time.

Pennybags said:
I'm so sorry for quitting during the Highlands game. I had just realized that I was VERY late in picking up my stepsister from her band practice across town, and had to bail.

No worries it was still fun to get in some games. :p

Cpt Blood, I like the idea of Double EXP :p

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
You know what I do when I am on a losing team of randoms? I dick around and have a good time.

Ask your self honestly, do you ever do that?
Pretty much but usually if I do the randoms start to betray me then I get messages saying "you suck!" :lol

wwm0nkey said:
Pretty much but usually if I do the randoms start to betray me then I get messages saying "you suck!" :lol

Today in stockpile I kept throwing the flag out at the last min then start fighting again, no one caught on :p

Hey You

I think if we brought the Grab Bag playlist for weekends only and cycle out various playlists. Sorta like H3's Double Exp Weekends. Even if its not worth Double Credits, I would still look forward to playing something different on weekends.

Possible Grab Bag Weekend Playlists:
-Firefight Versus
-Team Control
-Team Flag
-Doubles Attack (FF)
-Fiesta
-Team Melee
-Team Tactical
-3-ball (Maybe, its already in Multi-Team but low chance of playing it)
-Defiant Brawl (Both DLC's required?)
-Brawl (No DLC required, but DLC still present in playlist)
-Rocket Race (Not hog race)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
People would rank up too fast.

Bungle wants to keep people interested in ranking up, I'm sure.

They COULD improve the game to keep people interested, just sayin'.

Did they put in classic mode yet? Waiting on that to see how it goes and how the population is.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
They COULD improve the game to keep people interested, just sayin'

Let me guess, by REMOVING ARMOR LOCK?

Since I'm most of a lurker now, because I can't log into Gaf at work, I must say you guys spend whoooooooole days bitching about the game.

Jesus christ you bitch more about the game than you actually play it :lol

Edit:
I still love u guise. Except for that Barrow kid, he's really mean to me =(

Gui_PT said:

Since I'm most of a lurker now, because I can't log into Gaf at work, I must say you guys spend whoooooooole days bitching about the game.

Bitching about people that bitch about the game.

Now I'm bitching about people bitching about people that bitch about the game. D:

Edit: Wow, it's like you knew I was gonna be a smart ass before I even posted. :lol

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
Bitching about people that bitch about the game.

Now I'm bitching about people bitching about people that bitch about the game. D:

Edit: Wow, it's like you knew I was gonna be a smart ass before I even posted. :lol

See what I mean? Jerk! =P

Seriously, I'm not bitching. Just letting you guys know you bitch about things way more than you think.

Gui_PT said:

To be fair even with Double EXP it would probably be pretty hard to hit the daily cap, it would still take people years to get to Inheritor. If anything a double exp weekend would get people interested in ranking up again. Right now its such a grind that you cant really work towards it. It would be more satisfying if you ranked up more often in my opinion, but I guess this way rewards the longer term fans.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair even with Double EXP it would probably be pretty hard to hit the daily cap, it would still take people years to get to Inheritor. If anything a double exp weekend would get people interested in ranking up again. Right now its such a grind that you cant really work towards it. It would be more satisfying if you ranked up more often in my opinion, but I guess this way rewards the longer term fans.

Double EXP weekends would allow me to get, what? 500k cR on just one weekend?

500cR that would take weeks if not months to achieve normally.

What do you think Bungie prefers?

For you to play the game a lot for a few weekends or to play for many months more?

Because you can be sure people will stop playing as much once they reach max Rank.

PS: I think daily cap is gone, or at least has been raised.

Detox

You know this is why I'm starting to think prestige in COD was a smart decision. I've never prestiged in a COD game but I felt satisfied when I reached the highest rank on no prestige. On Reach I'm never satisfied with my rank or the speed at which I level up. If Reach had something like prestige, guys who want to grind can and I have the satisfaction of my progress bar moving up in a somewhat meaningful way.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
Please, please. You're being too kind. It's Forge 1.01(alpha). Lack of Resources™ strikes again!
Ouch.
Gui_PT said:

There aren't even enough armor pieces to entice people to rank up. Which makes it all the more disappointing that they can't even add armor through DLC.

The ranks serve no purpose(besides unlocking armor) especially when they can be obtained with cheating, seriously go into a co-op campaign and you can just find idlers, RIGHT THERE abusing the system.

Gui_PT said:

Because of the ridiculous time it takes to do anything rank wise I would argue that a double exp weekend would be a way to get people interested in rank again. I know I haven't cared since the second week the game came out, and in previous games I was always interested in rank.

Gui_PT

I think even though there are a "few" that would gain more interest in cR if we got double EXP, Bungie knows they have thousands of people who will play everyday just to get cR.

So probably those few don't really mean a whole lot compared to those thousands.

And I know what you guys mean about not having a lot of armory pieces and whatnot, but you're forgetting tons of people want to rank up just because they want to, even knowing rank doesn't mean anything. Heck, people idle on FF for whole days just to rank up.

I'll shut up now

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:

Edit:
I still love u guise. Except for that Barrow kid, he's really mean to me =(

Among other things, I mean, lets not act like the game doesn't have issues and lets DEFINITELY not act like Armor lock is the only thing I've complained about, it's simply the biggest issue I (and others) have with the game.

Also, armor lock doesn't need removing, simply being put where it belongs :p

So I'm guessing classic isn't released yet?

neclas

Gui_PT said:
Double EXP weekends would allow me to get, what? 500k cR on just one weekend?

500cR that would take weeks if not months to achieve normally.
So by doubling the cR earned, it takes months less to get the same amount? No, it would just take half the time. So with your example of 500k cR in one weekend, that would only mean 2 weekends without double credits.

PS: I think daily cap is gone, or at least has been raised.
Last I heard, it's 120,000 cR/day.

I have a thought for playlist changes:
Delete the Noble Map Pack and move Tempest and Anchor 9 to the Defiant Map Pack, but make them way extremely low.

neclas

Dax01 said:
Delete the Noble Map Pack and move Tempest and Anchor 9 to the Defiant Map Pack, but make them way extremely low.
Some people have deleted the Noble map pack from their HDD so that it will never come up in the Defiant playlist, which could result in it showing up even less than intended.

Tunavi said:
I'm bored. Anyone got any awesome rendered gameplay clips they want to share? (of yourself playing)

Here is mine: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10122735&player=Tunavi
Can you render my video?
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

anyways i see a lot of people are still complaining and couldnt understand what I was saying last time i came in here but I think it will really help a lot of everyones frustrations with reach and bungie if they just tried. the campaign is better than any other halo and firefight is like an arena version of the campaign with hundreds of different modes so it never gets old.

If you want you can just play arcade mode which is like a really fast action version with rpgs and swords and overshields and it gets crazier than multiplayer can ever get but theres still stragety so you can improve every time. limited is a version where you have to be careful and it may not be as crazy but its just as crazy because you really dont want to die so you work as a team to win its the firefight equivalent of MLG for firefight. then there score attack which is pretty simple your just alone but its still can be fun.

Alot of people hate on firefight and I look at there profile and they barely even play it! so I really suggest if youre playing and getting beat in multiplayer to just try firefight for a few rounds and I gaurantee youll not be angry anymore.

Sorry I realize this is a super long post but i cant help but try when so many people are missing how perfect reach is in most ways. people say that multiplayer is more important but like only not even a million people play it when the game sold ten times that! people who play online pretty much a minority but of course they're the ones complaining online in forums the most because both MP and forums are online. Bungies smarter than you and they know the other 9 people cant afford fast internet or no gold or are too young for online so they made reach perfect for them because if you only have 2 people to play with campaign and firefight are really the only things you can play. so of course bungie makes those perfect and so what if the multiplayer is the worst because you shouldn't be selfish.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tha Robbertster said:
I think me and my friends just played a MLG team. One of my friends was screaming that it was adrenaline rush, could anyone confirm this?
Here is the game: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=537000081&player=Robbert014

If this really was a MLG team, I think I did quite well :p I always imagened how it would be to play against one and my scenario was much worse
That's not a full team. There are some top Amateur players though. Elitest is a douche bag.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
There should really just be a real 6v6 playlist with objective and slayer gametypes for these midsized maps. I'm looking at you Unanchored, Boardwalk ,Condemned, Tempest, and Powerhouse(arguably).

And by objective and slayer gametypes I mean:

- Slayer DMRs
- 1 Flag
- 1 Flag Pro
- 2 Flag
- 1 Bomb
- Neutral Bomb

No Bro Slayer, no Headhunter, no Stockpile, no GIMMICK gametypes.

NOKYARD

Louis Wu said:
Just watched that run - I'm curious as to how the calculation is done?

Using YouTube's timer, it looks like he comes out of the opening cutscene at 0:27, and triggers the final cutscene at 11:52 - that seems like 11:25 to me, not 11:00. Is the YouTube video stretched or something?
We use the in-game timer on a Legendary run as a baseline. The details are at the bottom of the actual news post (which i was going to send to you today).

SLASO Timing info:
Player gains control at 0:04 on timebar. Falcon crash cutscene begins at 9:26. Total elapsed, 9:22.
Player regains control at 9:31. Level ends at 11:13. Time elapsed 1:38.
9:22 + 1:38 = 11:00 dead.

It would have been nice if Bungie didn't nerf the Carnage Report which rounds up time to the next minute instead of using the accurate time. We know the information is there because Halo 3 and ODST provided accurate Carnage Reports.

Striker

Hey You said:
I think if we brought the Grab Bag playlist for weekends only and cycle out various playlists. Sorta like H3's Double Exp Weekends. Even if its not worth Double Credits, I would still look forward to playing something different on weekends.

Possible Grab Bag Weekend Playlists:
-Firefight Versus
-Team Control
-Team Flag
-Doubles Attack (FF)
-Fiesta
-Team Melee
-Team Tactical
-3-ball (Maybe, its already in Multi-Team but low chance of playing it)
-Defiant Brawl (Both DLC's required?)
-Brawl (No DLC required, but DLC still present in playlist)
-Rocket Race (Not hog race)
Team Flag was necessary in Halo 3 because the god damn Team Objective playlist got removed. I also think they'll edge some things out in Objective eventually and Flag/Bomb will be the premier gametypes. Classic playlist might also get it, assuming it has a healthy population.

To add to your list, I would say Grifball and Living Dead as well. Living Dead especially as it is not a Competitive playlist, and it could use community maps like it should in the first place.

O D I N

GhaleonEB said:
I do love Firefight Challenge days. Knocked all of them off early this morning in a few games. Meatier than the last all FF ones as well.

I had feared this was going to happen, but I've now seen Unearthed vetoed a few times in Firefight Limited. The folks in there that have it are presumably among the more serious and active players, since they A) have the new DLC and B) are in the sparsely populated and challenging Limited playlist. I'm guessing it's because the map is actually difficult to hold down - the reason I like it - but I was hoping players wouldn't start so soon. It was vetoed from the first option last night, ended up with Beachhead (which is probably my favorite map from the shipping set, so I wasn't too broken up).

Which is a long way to say, if anyone wants to hop into Limited and try and get some Unearthed going, shoot me an invite. I'm on playing Firefight most nights around 8:00 pacific time.

I'll gladly play FF Limited on Unearthed, if you need a player or two. My buddy has been getting back into Reach with me, and I convinced him to buy the map pack.

Gui_PT said:

I asked myself why there wasn't a Double Cr weekend too, and I came to this exact conclusion.

Anyone who plays late night gonna be on tonight? I'm looking to play some games. Don't care what. If there's a grenade launcher involved, I'm happy.
Actually, there were some good clips in an invasion game I had yesterday. I'll see if I can grab them after work. I think Dax would be proud. :)

J10

Banned
Decom said:
So by doubling the cR earned, it takes months less to get the same amount? No, it would just take half the time. So with your example of 500k cR in one weekend, that would only mean 2 weekends without double credits.

Never understood the fuss over virtual rewards. I could maybe understand if they carried over to other games, kind of like how your previous job experience potentially counts towards your next one. When and how did playing games just for fun become not enough?

Gui_PT

Decom said:

Son, if we got Double EXP weekends, people would play the shit out of the game. A lot more games than they would normally play.

So that proportionality you're talking about doesn't exist.

Falagard

Lake Minnetonka said:
people say that multiplayer is more important but like only not even a million people play it when the game sold ten times that! people who play online pretty much a minority but of course they're the ones complaining online in forums the most because both MP and forums are online. Bungies smarter than you and they know the other 9 people cant afford fast internet or no gold or are too young for online so they made reach perfect for them because if you only have 2 people to play with campaign and firefight are really the only things you can play. so of course bungie makes those perfect and so what if the multiplayer is the worst because you shouldn't be selfish.

Your last post made me laugh. This one made me rage.

How about you take a look at it from a different perspective.

Let's pretend 10 million people bought Halo Reach, and 90% of them played the game for 10 or 20 hours for the campaign, and then set it aside. The campaign was awesome, great and dandy.

Let's say 10% of the people who bought Halo Reach play multiplayer and spend hundreds of hours with the multiplayer. They (we) have far more invested in the game than the casual players, we spend more time with the game and have every right to voice our opinions and dissent, especially if we feel the series took a step backward in regards to multiplayer.

We know Bungie spends more time working on the campaign, but we spend more time playing the multiplayer. Exponentially more time.

MrBig

Lake Minnetonka said:
Can you render my video?
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

anyways i see a lot of people are still complaining and couldnt understand what I was saying last time i came in here but I think it will really help a lot of everyones frustrations with reach and bungie if they just tried. the campaign is better than any other halo and firefight is like an arena version of the campaign with hundreds of different modes so it never gets old.

If you want you can just play arcade mode which is like a really fast action version with rpgs and swords and overshields and it gets crazier than multiplayer can ever get but theres still stragety so you can improve every time. limited is a version where you have to be careful and it may not be as crazy but its just as crazy because you really dont want to die so you work as a team to win its the firefight equivalent of MLG for firefight. then there score attack which is pretty simple your just alone but its still can be fun.

Alot of people hate on firefight and I look at there profile and they barely even play it! so I really suggest if youre playing and getting beat in multiplayer to just try firefight for a few rounds and I gaurantee youll not be angry anymore.

Sorry I realize this is a super long post but i cant help but try when so many people are missing how perfect reach is in most ways. people say that multiplayer is more important but like only not even a million people play it when the game sold ten times that! people who play online pretty much a minority but of course they're the ones complaining online in forums the most because both MP and forums are online. Bungies smarter than you and they know the other 9 people cant afford fast internet or no gold or are too young for online so they made reach perfect for them because if you only have 2 people to play with campaign and firefight are really the only things you can play. so of course bungie makes those perfect and so what if the multiplayer is the worst because you shouldn't be selfish.
90% of the people who buy Halo bought it to play multiplayer. GAF here is actually a minority in that (most of us) thoroughly enjoy playing the campaign oftenish. But (aside from Ghal) everyone here plays multiplayer and its the side that everyone really cares about and will spend months of time playing. I don't know what secluded corner you come from, but people usually play games to play with other people. You get that in mp, not ff. If you can enjoy playing the same thing over and over again that's your deal then. Have fun.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Falagard said:
We know Bungie spends more time working on the campaign, but we spend more time playing the multiplayer. Exponentially more time.

Mhm. This isn't to say that I'm willing to take cuts in the Campaign for the next Halo because I'm not. Multiplayer simply needs just as much attention.

Luke said it in the ViDOC before the Beta: "Campaign sets an amazing table, but Multiplayer's your meal."

In Reach's case, the most elegant and fanciest table was set as if it came from the greatest 5 star hotel in the country with the meal being a can of rancid beans that was tossed in the microwave for 30 seconds.

vhfive

Gui_PT said:
Son, if we got Double EXP weekends, people would play the shit out of the game. A lot more games than they would normally play.

So that proportionality you're talking about doesn't exist.
Isn't that a good thing?

Top Bottom