• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Alienshogun said:
If a team is locking down an area there is no problem. It's called map control.

If one person is able to lock down an area it's broken.
I think I'm thinking of Caged, and not so much Uncaged. Has no one else experienced the unbeatable sniper on Caged? I've seen it in numerous games on that map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Deputy Moonman said:
I think I'm thinking of Caged, and not so much Uncaged. Has no one else experienced the unbeatable sniper on Caged? I've seen it in numerous games on that map.

No such thing. I've played on it as much as anyone and I don't know what you are talking about. There's no Sniper setup on that level that works in way you are saying it does.

Deputy Moonman said:
Still not a huge fan. There is one spot right next to the gravity lift, where people can snipe forever, assuming they have a halfway decent team watching out for him. Maps that have a really protected area for snipers, or multiple areas, really irks me. Areas that allow a team to lock down a game, no contest. If it's pro slayer it's even worse. At least a jetpack might be able to surprise him.

Likewise, while I don't mind asylum as a map, seeing snipers able to just hide in their own bases for good chunks of the game just pisses me off. If I had a direct line of communication I'd say, "dude, show me you can actually play this game!" Snipers to me are cheap skates that allow everyone else to do the hard work while they sit back and rack up easy kills. Wimps. This applies to pinnacle as well.

I guess the hatred is more of a result of Reach's weaker precision weapons. No way a sniper dies to a DMR/Pistol/Needle Rifle when all 3 take 5-6 shots to kill a person. At least in earlier Halo games, there was more of a risk to pick up the sniper rifle and stand idle during a game. Reach practically invites you to stand still. No risk whatsoever.

If they are camping out at that area, you can generally wait for rockets to respawn and take it back.

IMO, Reach's DMR is the best sniper counter since the pistol. No, you aren't going to kill him, but you can more reliably get him to take cover so you can move up into a position where you nuetralize his advantage more than either BR iteration.

As for uncaged, I've had about 10 games ther, and I haven't found that position to be too crazy, as one guy at top lift can pretty easily keep the snipers head down while the rest of the team flanks across the bridge or pushes to tower. And if you are really patient, you can just wait for rockets and pretty easily push through.

I agree about Asylum's design though, that one guy who gets sniper/shotgun can just be annoying as shit. I think the bases have a hair too much cover, especially on the Rock gardens approach. The MLG version has slightly better jumps which works better IMO.

xxjuicesxx said:
Why, thats how you should snipe? Going anywhere past half point risks giving the other team your sniper rifle.

They used to have MLG Snipes on Sanctuary and Colussus for awhile back in Halo 2. The accuracy of a team of pro snipers was amazing to watch.
I just think sniping is too easy in Reach, WAY too easy. I don't admire snipers who rack up kills when they don't have to put any effort into it. The sniper rifle is probably the easiest weapon in the game to pick up a bunch of kills, and I'm just not impressed by people who are good with it anymore. It's more like golf clap, you killed someone with one bullet... congratulations... moving on... Reach has made surviving with it a joke.

It's not so much about the right way to use it, as people were already good with it from Halo 1-3/ODST. It's that now Bungie has rewarded them with an easier time surviving with the addition of weaker precision weapons.

If I'm really good with the sniper rifle, then these are my thoughts: "I'm really good with the sniper rifle. Reach made all the other weapons take longer to kill people. WINNING!" And probably insane laughter would go along with those thoughts, too.

The window of opportunity to kill a sniper went way down in Reach. Assuming I'm even lucky enough to get off four consecutive shots on the sniper, (and even luckier if the 4 shots register and take his shield down), before he/she moves behind cover, I've already attracted the attention of the rest of his team. How am I supposed to appreciate what people do with the sniper rifle? It's too easy and or too much of a factor in games nowadays. I don't like it. Maybe this is just me griping about non-issues like usual, but it goes through my thoughts quite often during games.
Dani said:
No such thing. I've played on it as much as anyone and I don't know what you are talking about. There's no Sniper setup on that level that works in way you are saying it does.
I haven't played with a team of friends, let alone with 2-3 halfway decent players as a party in a looong time. I always just jump into matchmaking solo, and the outcome of some of my games probably has more to do with bad teammates. But it would be nice if I had some way to fight back in games where my teammates suck, or I have multiple teammates quit out. There is just very little room for solo-stardom in Reach. I try, but fail most of the time.

I mean I agree you're right in a sense, with the extra time bloom adds to a kill and the evasive AA's (Camo, Sprint, Evade, Jetpack, Armor Lock) sniping becomes a lot overpowered which I don't think they cared to look at while considering the extra time between shots the sniper needs, even though they dedicated an entire powerpoint essay thesis bullshit thing on it.

Still its impressive to nail headshots and especially if it goes to triples, overkills and beyond.

Still its unimpressive if you or your team is stupid enough to even be in a position to get sniped from THEIR base on Aslyum...

Deputy Moonman said:
I just think sniping is too easy in Reach, WAY too easy. I don't admire snipers who rack up kills when they don't have to put any effort into it. The sniper rifle is probably the easiest weapon in the game to pick up a bunch of kills, and I'm just not impressed by people who are good with it anymore. It's more like golf clap, you killed someone with one bullet... congratulations... moving on... Reach has made surviving with it a joke.

It's not so much about the right way to use it, as people were already good with it from Halo 1-3/ODST. It's that now Bungie has rewarded them with an easier time surviving with the addition of weaker precision weapons.

If I'm really good with the sniper rifle, then these are my thoughts: "I'm really good with the sniper rifle. Reach made all the other weapons take longer to kill people. WINNING!" And probably insane laughter would go along with those thoughts, too.

The window of opportunity to kill a sniper went way down in Reach. Assuming I'm even lucky enough to get off four consecutive shots on the sniper, (and even luckier if the 4 shots register and take his shield down), before he/she moves behind cover, I've already attracted the attention of the rest of his team. How am I supposed to appreciate what people do with the sniper rifle? It's too easy and or too much of a factor in games nowadays. I don't like it. Maybe this is just me griping about non-issues like usual, but it goes through my thoughts quite often during games.

I have heard people say it feels easier to snipe in reach, yet I never have a problem taking out snipers.

You claim that the "kill time" for precision weapons has gone way down, and this is why you think the sniper is over powered

Here is why you are wrong:

-AA make your chances of survival via escape greater than all other Halo: Reach games
-Kill time for the DMR might be slightly decreased, yet the increase in precision weapons can lead to many more people targeting the sniper
-Reach has powerful grenades that can flush out even the most encamped snipers
-Correct me if I am wrong, but the Spartan lll's have smaller hitbox's? If so then they are actually harder to hit.
-when a sniper is hit by any device that inflicts damage to the shields or health they are taken out of scope.
-etc etc etc

The list goes on and on, but I believe there are options you have yet to consider.

Have you ever considered that perhaps your style of play is easily countered by the sniper rifle?

*I understand that AA's might make it harder for a sniper under fire to escape being killed, however it also helps the potential target of the sniper in escaping and staying alive to fight another day.

xxjuicesxx said:
Still its impressive to nail headshots and especially if it goes to triples, overkills and beyond.

Still its unimpressive if you or your team is stupid enough to even be in a position to get sniped from THEIR base on Aslyum...
True on both counts.

CyReN

Halo Reach MLG Dallas event is so close, who else is excited?

I'll be on tonight if anybody wants to do Classic playlist btw.

Louis Wu

Deputy Moonman said:
I haven't played with a team of friends, let alone with 2-3 halfway decent players as a party in a looong time. I always just jump into matchmaking solo, and the outcome of some of my games probably has more to do with bad teammates. But it would be nice if I had some way to fight back in games where my teammates suck, or I have multiple teammates quit out. There is just very little room for solo-stardom in Reach. I try, but fail most of the time.
If you have 'bad teammates' in every game you play... you need to start asking yourself if maybe it's not them.

Just sayin'...

Tunavi

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Sai-Kun's clip made it, too.
but the clips are totally boring...
haha! thanks for pointing that out, I saw sai-kun's clip and I was thinking, "man this is so dumb, why would this be put in here"

Ramirez

Everyone keep Thermight in your thoughts and prayers...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425917

qz2hzq.jpg

A27_StarWolf said:
I have heard people say it feels easier to snipe in reach, yet I never have a problem taking out snipers.

You claim that the "kill time" for precision weapons has gone way down, and this is why you think the sniper is over powered

Here is why you are wrong:

-AA make your chances of survival via escape greater than all other Halo: Reach games
-Kill time for the DMR might be slightly decreased, yet the increase in precision weapons can lead to many more people targeting the sniper
-Reach has powerful grenades that can flush out even the most encamped snipers
-Correct me if I am wrong, but the Spartan lll's have smaller hitbox's? If so then they are actually harder to hit.
-when a sniper is hit by any device that inflicts damage to the shields or health they are taken out of scope.
-etc etc etc

The list goes on and on, but I believe there are options you have yet to consider.

Have you ever considered that perhaps your style of play is easily countered by the sniper rifle?

*I understand that AA's might make it harder for a sniper under fire to escape being killed, however it also helps the potential target of the sniper in escaping and staying alive to fight another day.
Eh, anything is possible. But I do think there is a big difference between activating armor abilities when getting shot by precision weapons versus getting killed instantly by a head shot from the sniper rifle. Grenades are always a good idea, but highly unreliable. Usually I've already spent the one grenade in my inventory from the start of the game. Just let it be it be known that anytime I see a person sitting back with the sniper rifle, I have a personal vendetta against them, lol.
Louis Wu said:
If you have 'bad teammates' in every game you play... you need to start asking yourself if maybe it's not them.

Just sayin'...
Aw come on... Was that really necessary? Showing your true colors I see.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh man, that's sick! Do you have to tag clips as IGN for them to find it?
I didn't tag my clip with IGN, someone from IGN must have been lurking and saw me post it.

Also, I was up until 5 in the morning getting challenges done. Not worth it. ugh

I actually find it hader to snipe in Reach then in Halo 3 and I think it has to do with the accuracy on long range with the DMR. Then, there's also the factor that I'm pretty insecure when holding the sniper :p

I missed the DLC discussion from yesterday, but I think we can all agree on one thing:

The SuperXbox 720 had better not have an SKU that lacks a hard drive.

I don't care if they stick with the multiple-SKU model and have wired/wireless controllers or a different aesthetic. I just think that the most frustrating problems Halo 3 and Reach have compared to Halo 2 is the fact that Bungie was forced to accomodate people without hard drives. It was a poorly made MS decision and an impossible task, judging by the Firefight/Campaign difficulties for 4-Gig/HD-less Xboxes.

As for current DLC solutions, I still like my idea of:
- Paying for DLC gets you early access and bonuses outside the realm of multiplayer gameplay (e.g. armor, cR, avatar clothing/items, Firefight voices).
- DLC eventually goes free, sans bonuses. Attach some sponsorship if necessary, a la Mountain Dew and Cold Storage.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
It's the expression of a simple sentiment. If all your relationships end in failure, maybe it's not them, it's you. If all your team mates suck and ruin the games, maybe it's not just them. (Though to be fair, you said "some", not all.)

As much as I'd like to blame bad team mates for my MP fails - and there are plenty of bad team mates - I certainly don't help things much.

Louis Wu

Deputy Moonman said:
lolwut?

What colors would those be?

My point (clearly missed) was that you complain a LOT about problems that simply don't exist when even the bare minimum of teamwork is shown. You don't have to 5-shot an enemy if even ONE teammate is helping you. And in the Cage scenario you were putting forth, you were shooting at a sniper long enough for HIS team to notice you - but there was no mention of anyone on YOUR team getting involved.

Halo is not (and never has been) a "solo hero" game; it's ALWAYS relied upon teamwork. And please don't tell me that since you go in alone, you aren't eligible for teamwork benefits; I play alone FAR more than I play with friends. I have well over a thousand games (probably over 1500) racked up where I was in a party of 1 - and I'd have to say that the number of games where NO teamwork was involved is well under 10%. Randoms are, on the whole, far more capable than GAF gives them credit for. (I know there are awful people out there. I've played with some of them. But they're not 100, or even 50, percent of the 'random' population. GAF would have you believe they're 110% of it, I think.)

I guess what I was trying to say, in an admittedly snarky way, was that if your experience is as unrelentingly awful as you portray it to be, you're at least partly to blame, and the sooner you recognize that, the sooner you can put yourself into a situation where things are FUN again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Louis Wu said:
The montage itself was fine - it was a montage. Nothing really special. (No offense; I'm not dissing the gameplay or anything.)

The start? Fantastic. :) Loved the timing of the music intro. :)

Thank you :)

KevinRo

Louis Wu said:
lolwut?

My point (clearly missed) was that you complain a LOT about problems that simply don't exist when even the bare minimum of teamwork is shown. You don't have to 5-shot an enemy if even ONE teammate is helping you. And in the Cage scenario you were putting forth, you were shooting at a sniper long enough for HIS team to notice you - but there was no mention of anyone on YOUR team getting involved.

Halo is not (and never has been) a "solo hero" game; it's ALWAYS relied upon teamwork. And please don't tell me that since you go in alone, you aren't eligible for teamwork benefits; I play alone FAR more than I play with friends. I have well over a thousand games (probably over 1500) racked up where I was in a party of 1 - and I'd have to say that the number of games where NO teamwork was involved is well under 10%. Randoms are, on the whole, far more capable than GAF gives them credit for. (I know there are awful people out there. I've played with some of them. But they're not 100, or even 50, percent of the 'random' population. GAF would have you believe they're 110% of it, I think.)

I guess what I was trying to say, in an admittedly snarky way, was that if your experience is as unrelentingly awful as you portray it to be, you're at least partly to blame, and the sooner you recognize that, the sooner you can put yourself into a situation where things are FUN again.

I don't know, most of the time going in by yourself is always a recipe for disaster, people killing you if you pick up the power weapons or talking crap to you etc. etc.

It doesn't help when the system matches you with warrent officers who's first time playing MLG against a team of 4.

I can feel his pain, considering it's really freaking hard to backpack people in this game if they're stupid. But at the same time if you're tired of playing by yourself just send some friend requests and party invites to the people you think are good that you played against or with. I do that all the time in MLG and people join.

wwm0nkey

In Halo 2 and 3 I always felt like I could do that one man army stuff in a few situations, but in Reach there is never those kinds of situations it seems unless you have the rocket or sniper.

Ramirez said:

I was expecting some amazing jump snipe as the warthog was barreling toward you and then you missed two shots and started reloading(with one in the chamber) and I started to think well that was a big mistake right there..... but then you pulled off that hilarious kill LOL

PS This video also just taught me that reloading just before stepping into a vehicle cancels the reload animation immediately

One of the biggest problems I have is that I suck (I do all right in my low skill bracket) at this game and most, if not all, of the people on my FL are considerably better at the MP aspect of the game. This leads to a couple of problems:

- I get killed a lot by the better players that Truskill matches to the rest of my team
- If I hang back and let the rest of my team 'protect' shitty ole me, I don't contribute much and I feel like a crutch.

I do enjoy playing with friends, and in all honesty I don't really care about k/d stats. I just don't like letting a team of friends down, so I rock solo more often than not. Maybe playing more MP games than Campaign would be the thing to do to get better at the game, idk...

squidhands said:
One of the biggest problems I have is that I suck (I do all right in my low skill bracket) at this game and most, if not all, of the people on my FL are considerably better at the MP aspect of the game. This leads to a couple of problems:

- I get killed a lot by the better players that Truskill matches to the rest of my team
- If I hang back and let the rest of my team 'protect' shitty ole me, I don't contribute much and I feel like a crutch.

I do enjoy playing with friends, and in all honesty I don't really care about k/d stats. I just don't like letting a team of friends down, so I rock solo more often than not. Maybe playing more MP games than Campaign would be the thing to do to get better at the game, idk...
I resemble these remarks.

In fact of all the games I played last night
(1st time in MM in a week I think and a while before that even)
my team didn't win a single game :( Somehow or another I had fun. Mostly because I got to finally scratch my Halo itch. I usually do a little better it's true and I certainly could benefit from playing more often. Last night the competition was exceptionally brutal, especially in classic. Rat race so far is my favorite of the lot.

BlueScrote said:
First time playing on uncaged as well. It seems like a welcome improvement over the cage.
electricpirate said:
Uncaged is a fun map, I can't help but feel like if this had been the first iteration of the map people would have a different perception of it.
Mission success.

Miggytronz

Louis Wu said:
lolwut?

I can 100% agree with this. Especially the bolded.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Rat's nest so far is my favorite of the lot.

Haven't played that one yet, my favorite so far is High Noon (Hang 'em High)

and not to nitpick, but

Rat's Nest = Halo 3 DLC map
Rat Race = Halo: CE map
Rat Trap = Halo: Reach Forge remake of Rat Race

JonCha

Yeah, kinda got Rat Trap / Race mixed up. Why a 'classic' playlist didn't have the classic names seems kinda dumb (though I guess they wanted to credit the creators of the remakes).

Warlock is one of my faves ATM. The Midship remake is also pretty decent, especially considering a lot of people on here seemed to not like it.

wwm0nkey

JonCha said:
Disagree. Part of Halo's success was the ability to kill multiple enemies by yourself.
Like I said about that only happened in Halo 2 and Halo 3, in Halo 3 it happened less but it still happened.

ncsuDuncan said:

and not to nitpick, but

Edited... thanks! Both games I had on high noon we got destroyed by people who can hit a target from a high vantage point. It was that simple yet so impossible to get control of.

Edit this post:

JonCha said:
Disagree. Part of Halo's success was the ability to kill multiple enemies by yourself.
Seriously? Unless your using power weapons you must be referring to killing multiple enemies by cleaning up weakened players your teammates have fired on, or are that are distracted by teammates. Very rarely have I seen even the pros go out beasting against a group of guys without any help at all. Winning a 1v1 and finishing off two weak players is not doing it by your self. It's teamwork and it's the only way to win in Halo.

Louis Wu said:
lolwut?

My point about shooting at the sniper long enough was only meant to show the bigger advantage someone with the sniper rifle has in Reach. This makes it really hard to take him out. Yes with teamwork it is possible to do it. But teamwork doesn't always happen in games with randoms. The issue about Caged is something I've experienced many times, at least on pro slayer games. There is a spot that a person can sit and he only has to worry about people coming at him from the one straight path.

Louis Wu said:
When I'm trying to take out the sniper on different maps, a good chunk of the time teammates are pre-occupied with other things. It's not like we all can unite and attack the person with the sniper rifle and suddenly ignore the rest of the opposing team. Usually it's best if my teammates are busy with other stuff. It makes me less noticeable when I'm trying to eliminate the person with the sniper rifle.
Louis Wu said:
I've started playing Arena games, which are a lot better on that front. No armor lock and no invis, with DMR starts is good. Now if the availability of power weapons could be reduced, and the assault rifle toned down or removed, I think I would be surprisingly happy for all the complaining i've done.

vhfive

ncsuDuncan said:

and not to nitpick, but

High Noon is definitely my favorite right now.

xxjuicesxx said:
Why, thats how you should snipe? Going anywhere past half point risks giving the other team your sniper rifle.

They used to have MLG Snipes on Sanctuary and Colussus for awhile back in Halo 2. The accuracy of a team of pro snipers was amazing to watch.

Well keep in mind that Sanctuary in H2 had raised cars which both Asylum and MLG's Sanctuary do not have. It significantly changes how the sniper plays on the map as well as how the map plays in general (raised cars encourages and almost forces snipers to push up to car or ring 2 while in Reach's versions there is no reason for the sniper to leave snipe).

As for Uncaged, I think it is a significant improvement over cage and the weapon and map layout is pretty solid. The biggest problem with it now is simply that it's a forge map and therefore has a bunch of narrow walkways that remain grenade deathtraps.

Account Attempt #4 said:
I resemble these remarks.

In fact of all the games I played last night
(1st time in MM in a week I think and a while before that even)
my team didn't win a single game :( Somehow or another I had fun. Mostly because I got to finally scratch my Halo itch. I usually do a little better it's true and I certainly could benefit from playing more often. Last night the competition was exceptionally brutal, especially in classic. Rat race so far is my favorite of the lot.
Haven't been able to play a match on it yet, but I playtested earlier versions with Vincent Torre in customs. Probably my favorite map from CE and I thought it played really well in Reach with the default settings.

vhfive said:
High Noon is definitely my favorite right now.
High Noon is good, but I wish it were the HeH version. Really dig the Noble Creek, especially when no one else knows that Rockets are on the map. Hooray for people that never played earlier Halos before!

Mikasangelos said:
I can 100% agree with this. Especially the bolded.
I know this. But when it comes to just jumping into games with no friends, I like to do my own thing; and not out of selfishness or anything. It's just that I play better that way. I'll still wear a headset if necessary and talk to the team. I'll still give support to my team and things like that. But I'm a disruptor in games, or a player that initiates things, a flanker, and a rogue. If the rest of my team wants to sit back and snipe or camp with the sword/shotgun, then fine. But I'm gonna get things started. I'm gonna draw people out into the open or get kills the way I get kills, or even be killed. But I play the game to play, not to sit back and eat popcorn.

I'm not talking about flinging myself up against multiple players and being stupid with the decisions I make during a game. I'm just talking about the issues I have when I encounter a player 1v1. That's just as much a part of Halo as teamwork.

CyReN

Louis Wu said:
Halo is not (and never has been) a "solo hero" game; it's ALWAYS relied upon teamwork.

Halo 1 you could.

With the skill gap, powers ups, etc it made it very possible.

---
Wait are you the guy from the Making of H2? Woa major props, that's my favorite part of the thing. That got me into lanning with friends and locals.

Top Bottom