• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

zlatko

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I just quit out of my first MP game in an eternity, and it was Hockey, for that reason. Seven out of eight players were trying for assassinations; I was the only dude actually playing. The mode is completely broken with them left on, there's no point in even trying.

Why no option to veto in Action Sack?

The shitty thing about it is it makes me avoid Action Sack altogether, because if hockey pops up that's all people vote for. Until the game mode is patched I'm afraid the whole playlist is out as an option for me.

neclas

Kawl_USC said:
Is there no way to differentiate between people dropping due to network issues and chronic quitters?
They could differentiate, but then instead of quitting, people would just unplug their network cable.

Domino Theory said:
Just like there's an option to search wih "Good Connection", "Similar Skill" and "My Language", there should be one called "DLC".

Yeah, this would be very nice. Those of us that would happily wait a little longer in matchmaking in order to play the maps we paid for would love it.
At least I would!

Havok

Domino Theory said:
So I've been clamoring for a 343i studio tour for some time, but now that we know they moved into Bungie's old building, this does wonders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6n8ytkhyzk&feature=channel_video_title

I swear Frank is Benjamin Button. Dude gets younger every year.
This video and the Weekly Update about the Halo 2 lightmap farms (with accompanying MS paint picture of Mister Chief growing lightbulbs) are what have stuck with me for so long about Frankie's tenure at Bungie.

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks guys!

Dax, more variety how? In the maps? Type of kills?
I can give my opinion on this... Your video is heavily weighted with sniper kills... Sniper kills are nice and all, but kind of bland to watch.

That's my opinion, and I am assuming it is what Dax was trying to get at.

CyReN

Remember the last time you thought the AR was cool? Yea it was probably 2001, Please get rid of it out of starting in MM.

AR on Derelict is painful..

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devin Olsen said:
I can give my opinion on this... Your video is heavily weighted with sniper kills... Sniper kills are nice and all, but kind of bland to watch.

Right. That's understandable. Well I'll tell you what, I'm playing now for episode 3 and I have 3 clips already. None of which are with the sniper. :)

Anyone want to hop on for some games so don't chuck my controller at the wall from bad teammates and shitty gametypes?

Edit: Haloball Xtreme is some of the worst shit I have ever played. I can't even believe it.

Barrow Roll said:
Anyone want to hop on for some games so don't chuck my controller at the wall from bad teammates and shitty gametypes?

Edit: Haloball Xtreme is some of the worst shit I have ever played. I can't even believe it.
I love HaloBall in its two variations. My only problem with that and Hockey is that aiming with the Hammer seems entirely random. There has been many a time where the ball goes behind me when I hit it...

I'd imagine all the Bungie employees have 100% armory completion from the start. I remember urk did too. Blue flames + all armor + 5% damage.

Hydranockz said:
I love HaloBall in its two variations. My only problem with that and Hockey is that aiming with the Hammer seems entirely random. There has been many a time where the ball goes behind me when I hit it...

I'd imagine all the Bungie employees have 100% armory completion from the start. I remember urk did too. Blue flames + all armor + 5% damage.

Not talking about armor completion though, commendation completion.

When you want to move the ball precisely in Hockey, use the AR.

GhaleonEB

Just had my first game of Fistfight in Firefight Arcade since weapon pickups were disabled, and it was a thing of beauty. Two guys drop off a few minutes in - I think they wanted to scoop up FRGs - so it was me and one other guy on Courtyard, which works out perfectly; we each took up camp in our own side. There's a level of unbridled carnage that other playlists just don't come near. It's delightful.

Three clips culled from the game.

First, pure, joyous stress relief.

One feature of Arcade that I really wish Limited also included is Elite Heretics; Elites that use UNSC weapons. Round one has regular Heretics, with pistols, AR's, shotguns and the odd DMR. Round 2 brings in the snipers - DMRs and sniper rifles. Round 3, the heavies hit: rocket launchers, grenade launchers and Spartan Lasers (!!!).

I just love how they look using them:

reach_15946230_Full.jpg

reach_15946220_Full.jpg

Of course, the snipers tend to be a bit nasty when you are using melee weapons:

reach_15946205_Full.jpg

I generally don't last long against them, but this was my longest streak against some Heavies. Just insane levels of anarchy going on.

Lastly, the bonus round, which when viewed from afar has so many moving elements it's sort of beautiful.

Playing with weapon pickups turned off makes the mode play like I hoped it would play all along. It's wonderful, and my favorite change made in the current playlist update.

GhaleonEB said:
Playing with weapon pickups turned off makes the mode play like I hoped it would play all along. It's wonderful, and my favorite change made in the current playlist update.

Nice to see the gametypes actually play out as that gametype now. Still a major peeve of mine that Elites use human weapons in most of the firefight gametypes though.

Gamer98

Banned
I have a 4gb HDD for my 360 and when I try to play Firefight it tells me I need a different HDD. Anybody else have this problem?

Apath

Action Sack is a mere shadow of its former Halo 3 glorious self. Why is it only crappy versions of regular game types and then HALO BALL and HALO BALL XTREME? Throw in a bunch of goofy games. Throw in Rocket Race. Throw in stickies only. Bring back that king of the hill game from Halo 3 where two teams drive warthogs into a middle arena and try to be the last team standing.

I feel like these Power Slayers and Speedflags and whatever miss the point of the playlist. These matches still feel like standard competitive matches and not the goofy fun-fest that it was in Halo 3.

Just ran against Lunatic Puma on Eclipse. Good game sir! We got into a few gun fights which were fun and challenging. I'm loving Classic so far now that I'm finally playing it. Now if I could just win one. -.-

Emperor Bohe said:
Will there ever be a title update? Does 343i handle Reach now?

There won't be one from Bungie, and that is all we know really, but considering its been out for over 6 months and we haven't heard of any such thing, I think it is extremely unlikely.

Tunavi

Banned
Gamer98 said:
I have a 4gb HDD for my 360 and when I try to play Firefight it tells me I need a different HDD. Anybody else have this problem?
the 4 gb are internal memory, but don't count as a hard drive. You can't play firefight on an xbox slim without a HD

Edit: Lol Tawpgun and I made the IGN top ten plays of the week. http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/30/halo-reach-top-10-kills-033011
We're number 2. The comments mention my clip a lot haha.
Man those other clips are horrendous

GGs Plywood, my shattered faith in Reach has been somewhat restored. The Defiant maps play amazingly with the weapon fixes, I had a blast rolling that playlist.

But I won't be touching Classic again, not while you still spawn with 2 portable nukes. As far as I'm concerned, Slayer Pro>Classic.

zlatko

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
GGs Plywood, my shattered faith in Reach has been somewhat restored. The Defiant maps play amazingly with the weapon fixes, I had a blast rolling that playlist.

But I won't be touching Classic again, not while you still spawn with 2 portable nukes. As far as I'm concerned, Slayer Pro>Classic.

I love the slayer pro settings as well. I like it even more than the MLG way. Is Slayer Pro also the variant used on Arena ?

Either way I wish pro had its own playlist. :( Or does it? I haven't found a place I can just play that all day. I think it'd be a wet dream if there was a big team slayer pro. :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:

GG.

I wish I could play Classic on the actual maps and not these Forge remakes. :/

Would be more fun and yes grenades are ridiculous.

Ramirez

Classic feels like a sloppy amateur attempt at fixing the game, while I enjoy the faster kills, I hate the grenade power, and the movement speed is just all over the place depending on what map you play on, and the power weapons are way OP, the conc rifle on Prolonged is like a mini rocket launcher, heh.

Dare I say, I enjoy default Reach to these settings. The absence of terrible AA's is really the only thing keeping me there I think.

zlatko said:
I love the slayer pro settings as well. I like it even more than the MLG way. Is Slayer Pro also the variant used on Arena ?

Either way I wish pro had its own playlist. :( Or does it? I haven't found a place I can just play that all day. I think it'd be a wet dream if there was a big team slayer pro. :D
I think earlier seasons of Arena used Slayer Pro settings. These are the current settings:

DMR/AR
1 Grenade
Sprint, Jetpack, Hologram
Motion Tracker On

It's a little closer to vanilla Team Slayer but it cuts out a lot of the BS, specifically Armor Lock, Evade and grenade spam. It's pretty nice but I would also love a Slayer Pro playlist to replace The Arena. Throw in some Flag and Assault gametypes and I wouldn't leave.

Plywood said:
GG.

I wish I could play Classic on the actual maps and not these Forge remakes. :/

Would be more fun and yes grenades are ridiculous.
Classic has more problems than just the grenades, but yeah, default maps>Forge stuff.

And I just looked up Truancy Bot. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Just had my first game of Fistfight in Firefight Arcade since weapon pickups were disabled, and it was a thing of beauty. Two guys drop off a few minutes in - I think they wanted to scoop up FRGs - so it was me and one other guy on Courtyard, which works out perfectly; we each took up camp in our own side. There's a level of unbridled carnage that other playlists just don't come near. It's delightful.

Three clips culled from the game.

First, pure, joyous stress relief.

One feature of Arcade that I really wish Limited also included is Elite Heretics; Elites that use UNSC weapons. Round one has regular Heretics, with pistols, AR's, shotguns and the odd DMR. Round 2 brings in the snipers - DMRs and sniper rifles. Round 3, the heavies hit: rocket launchers, grenade launchers and Spartan Lasers (!!!).

I just love how they look using them:

reach_15946230_Full.jpg

reach_15946220_Full.jpg

Of course, the snipers tend to be a bit nasty when you are using melee weapons:

reach_15946205_Full.jpg

I generally don't last long against them, but this was my longest streak against some Heavies. Just insane levels of anarchy going on.

Lastly, the bonus round, which when viewed from afar has so many moving elements it's sort of beautiful.

firefight!!!!!

Barrow Roll said:
I think earlier seasons of Arena used Slayer Pro settings. These are the current settings:

DMR/AR
1 Grenade
Sprint, Jetpack, Hologram
Motion Tracker On

It's a little closer to vanilla Team Slayer but it cuts out a lot of the BS, specifically Armor Lock, Evade and grenade spam. It's pretty nice but I would also love a Slayer Pro playlist to replace The Arena. Throw in some Flag and Assault gametypes and I wouldn't leave.
I stepped into Arena today for the first time since Reach came out. It's definitely one of the better playlists. I just wish it wasn't Arena, meaning one of the more competitive playlists (aside from MLG). I'd love to see the motion tracker removed and the assault rifle and concussion rifle completely removed. The concussion rifle is another weapon that I don't understand. It basically hits you no matter where the shots go, and it has just as big of a clip as the pistol; so there is no escaping it if you get halfway close. Does that make much sense to anyone else? It's also one of the power weapons that people tend to rely upon, heavily.

One of the most neutral maps that I can remember in all of the Halo games was Warlock. No sniper rifle, no rocket launcher, and only your wits about you. Yes, there was the shotgun, but it took some fine handling to rack up the kills with it. Why can't there be more maps like that where teams have to rely more on team work and their skill with weapons as opposed to being lucky with power weapon pickups? That's my halo dream.

Deputy Moonman said:
I stepped into Arena today for the first time since Reach came out. It's definitely one of the better playlists. I just wish it wasn't Arena, meaning one of the more competitive playlists (aside from MLG). I'd love to see the motion tracker removed and the assault rifle and concussion rifle completely removed. The concussion rifle is another weapon that I don't understand. It basically hits you no matter where the shots go, and it has just as big of a clip as the pistol; so there is no escaping it if you get halfway close. Does that make much sense to anyone else? It's also one of the power weapons that people tend to rely upon, heavily.

One of the most neutral maps that I can remember in all of the Halo games was Warlock. No sniper rifle, no rocket launcher, and only your wits about you. Yes, there was the shotgun, but it took some fine handling to rack up the kills with it. Why can't there be more maps like that where teams have to rely more on team work and their skill with weapons as opposed to being lucky with power weapon pickups? That's my halo dream.

Power weapons aren't bad. They just have to be placed in a location that is dangerous (equal distance for both teams as well), and have a set spawn time. Fighting over power weapons brings out teamwork. Halo CE had this down to a t. In more recent games, power weapons have been there to start the game which makes acquiring them a little easy. They're also put in positions where they can be used as soon as you pick them up. They should be placed down low because height is used as a power position.

Prisoner did it right.

Edit: Agree with Striker on the maps.

Devin Olsen said:

Yup. It's cool otherwise. :)

Striker

Deputy Moonman said:

I wouldn't mind, personally, if Team Slayer got axed and allow Team Arena to become the regular, usual Slayer playlist. It has no precarious pieces ruining it like Armor Lock Evade, or Camo. I think the trio of Sprint, Jetpack (meh) and Hologram are decently balanced. The jetpackers will most often just be putting themselves out for target practice.

If they want to keep both Arena and Team Slayer, they should add Assault, CTF, KotH, Oddball, and 3 Plots to Arena.

As for maps, I wish we had more basic structures like Warlock. That, along with others like Elongation and Turf were great small maps that weren't overrun by power weapons. That's been missing from the smaller Halo 3 and Reach maps. At least one power weapon runs the map in some form or another.

OK those were cool but I thought #3 Triple threat kill was the best. Two sticks one from mad far away and an assassination on the third guy, thats pretty badass.

Louis Wu

Tashi0106 said:
The montage itself was fine - it was a montage. Nothing really special. (No offense; I'm not dissing the gameplay or anything.)

The start? Fantastic. :) Loved the timing of the music intro. :)

Dani said:
I found something better.

DAX's personal Bungie studio tour!

Over four minutes of the most exclusive access money can't buy!

That is seriously creepy.

Edit:
Dax01 said:
That ain't me. Dude didn't even touch the doorknob.
Apologies - I knew it wasn't you, should have made that clear.

It was seriously creepy all by itself. :)

Halo Ball Extreme is so amazing. destroying a guy with a golf ball is one of best things ever.

Uncaged is a fun map, I can't help but feel like if this had been the first iteration of the map people would have a different perception of it.

electricpirate said:
Uncaged is a fun map, I can't help but feel like if this had been the first iteration of the map people would have a different perception of it.
Still not a huge fan. There is one spot right next to the gravity lift, where people can snipe forever, assuming they have a halfway decent team watching out for him. Maps that have a really protected area for snipers, or multiple areas, really irks me. Areas that allow a team to lock down a game, no contest. If it's pro slayer it's even worse. At least a jetpack might be able to surprise him.

Likewise, while I don't mind asylum as a map, seeing snipers able to just hide in their own bases for good chunks of the game just pisses me off. If I had a direct line of communication I'd say, "dude, show me you can actually play this game!" Snipers to me are cheap skates that allow everyone else to do the hard work while they sit back and rack up easy kills. Wimps. This applies to pinnacle as well.

I guess the hatred is more of a result of Reach's weaker precision weapons. No way a sniper dies to a DMR/Pistol/Needle Rifle when all 3 take 5-6 shots to kill a person. At least in earlier Halo games, there was more of a risk to pick up the sniper rifle and stand idle during a game. Reach practically invites you to stand still. No risk whatsoever.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deputy Moonman said:
Still not a huge fan. There is one spot right next to the gravity lift, where people can snipe forever, assuming they have a halfway decent team watching out for him. Maps that have a really protected area for snipers, or multiple areas, really irks me. Areas that allow a team to lock down a game, no contest. If it's pro slayer it's even worse. At least a jetpack might be able to surprise him.

Likewise, while I don't mind asylum as a map, seeing snipers able to just hide in their own bases for good chunks of the game just pisses me off. If I had a direct line of communication I'd say, "dude, show me you can actually play this game!" Snipers to me are cheap skates that allow everyone else to do the hard work while they sit back and rack up easy kills. Wimps. This applies to pinnacle as well.

If a team is locking down an area there is no problem. It's called map control.

If one person is able to lock down an area it's broken.

Deputy Moonman said:
Likewise, while I don't mind asylum as a map, seeing snipers able to just hide in their own bases for good chunks of the game just pisses me off. If I had a direct line of communication I'd say, "dude, show me you can actually play this game!" Snipers to me are cheap skates that allow everyone else to do the hard work while they sit back and rack up easy kills. Wimps.

Why, thats how you should snipe? Going anywhere past half point risks giving the other team your sniper rifle.

They used to have MLG Snipes on Sanctuary and Colussus for awhile back in Halo 2. The accuracy of a team of pro snipers was amazing to watch.

Top Bottom