• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

wwm0nkey

Tashi0106 said:
Whatever. I just know now that you're not Mr Halo 2.

I got on just now in hopes of getting more clips for this week. Wow, I haven't played this shitty in so long. Damn, I'm getting my ass kicked by guys I know are complete scrubs.
:(

Steelyuhas said:
The DLC implementation in H2 was better than H3 and Reach. shock.gif
DLC maps almost never came up in matchmaking. They didn't even have a dedicated playlist. There was no DLC implementation in Halo 2 until the maps were made free, which never happened in Halo 3 and Reach.

I've played one game of Speedpile on Hemorrhage and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Rocked the Ghost most of the time. Then again, the other team didn't look like it was trying. But still fun.

Tawpgun

Hockey could be REALLY fun if they turned off assassinations. Maybe even make everyone invulnerable.

Right now everyone goes out of their way for kills....

I realize its supposed to emulate checking or something... but it honestly makes the game worse.

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
DLC maps almost never came up in matchmaking. They didn't even have a dedicated playlist. There was no DLC implementation in Halo 2 until the maps were made free, which never happened in Halo 3 and Reach.
Team Preview says hi. They absolutely showed up, and they absolutely had a dedicated playlist. Moreover, the on-disc maps weren't god-awful so it wasn't the end of the world when the new maps didn't show up, unlike any Isolation game in Halo 3 or The Cage game in Reach.

Oh, and on the topic of Halo 2: It was the high point for maps in any shooter I've played, period, and I have to think that the reason behind this was that the maps were designed with a purpose in mind, rather than every gametype under the sun being shoehorned in unnecessarily. Terminal, Relic, Headlong, Zanzibar (as detailed in that vidoc from a few pages ago) - Asymmetric Flag/Bomb games. It just so happened that Slayer worked well on them, so it was on there too. That's the key difference. It's why the few good Halo 3 maps worked. Valhalla was obviously designed for two-sided objective gametypes, and that's where it shined. Slayer? Territories? VIP? Total crapshoot, but it was in there anyway because it's a waste of resources not to have every map work with every gametype in matchmaking, and that leads to maps being designed with no purpose (ie, Slayer) in mind and then having things shoved into them to work. I'd love to see a return to form.

Louis Wu

MrBig said:
This is a wise man.

I'm making a mongoose-soccer varient, but here are only 8 mongeese to place :(.
You should talk to pete_the_duck at HBO (or RMAP at ForgeHub) - apparently, RMAP figured out how to place more than 8 mongeese at a time.

HiredN00bs said:

There was a dedicated DLC playlist, and they became free after two months, and then were required and included in all playlists.

Steelyuhas said:
There was a dedicated DLC playlist, and they became free after two months, and then were required and included in all playlists.
Was Team Preview up for every Halo 2 Map Pack that was released? I recall it, but I also remember buying maps and having nowhere to play them.

Comparing a system with required free DLC to one with paid DLC is pretty pointless. Halo 3 did a better job incorporating DLC (by requiring it) and Reach has done a comparable job without requiring it. It doesn't get any better than that (aside from making the maps free, but Microsoft and 343i haven't shown any intention of doing that).

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
Was Team Preview up for every Halo 2 Map Pack that was released? I recall it, but I also remember buying maps and having nowhere to play them.

Comparing a system with required free DLC to one with paid DLC is pretty pointless. Halo 3 did a better job incorporating DLC (by requiring it) and Reach has done a comparable job without requiring it. It doesn't get any better than that (aside from making the maps free, but Microsoft and 343i haven't shown any intention of doing that).
It was at least up for the last couple (Maptacular/Blastacular). And we can compare free to free. Remember Cold Storage? How many times did you play it in matchmaking outside of its dedicated playlist? That's the result of Microsoft policy, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Dax01 said:
I dunno how much say 343i has in regards to DLC, but I'm sure if they could somehow push MS into allowing the maps to go free, they would. It's really the best approach.
It's a policy that needs to change across the board for Microsoft. Not allowing free content completely fucked over any chances that TF2 had of becoming as popular as it deserves on 360. It's insane.

I dunno how much say 343i has in regards to DLC, but I'm sure if they could somehow push MS into allowing the maps to go free, they would. It's really the best approach.

Lazslo

Dani said:
Yep, Microsoft should stop allowing people to give them money.

People still buy DLC a year after its release and until they stop, MS will continue to facilitate their choice.
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but I remember vaguely reading some gross fun-fact like Microsoft was netting 15 thousand dollars a day off people downloading the Legendary Map Pack a year after it was released- thus killing any hopes of free DLC with time. I think that number could be very wrong but still- yeah they would be a shit business if they were releasing products for free that earn them so much with such low overhead as already released-DLC.

Havok said:
It was at least up for the last couple (Maptacular/Blastacular). And we can compare free to free. Remember Cold Storage? How many times did you play it in matchmaking outside of its dedicated playlist? That's the result of Microsoft policy, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.
Speaking of which, 7 on 7th (or whatever it was) was a fun idea I thought. Every game on the same map with different game settings. Just saying. I don't know if it would have the same effect in Reach. Was a great way to get use to the map and get in some festive games, albeit a bit mindless.

Sibylus

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I've long since decided that people who don't see Reach's framerate problems are experiencing some weird form of cognitive dissonance (or just aren't that sensitive to it, I guess). It's really bad in places, and reproducible, like you said. It doesn't bother me so much in campaign, but the numerous known drops in MP are so bad I go out of my way to avoid scoping in some spots because I know it'll throw my aim off. It's a shame even the newer maps like Condemned have these issues (scoping across the low-grav section).

Edit: and it's a crying shame on Tempest, too
I'm one of those who are genuinely insensitive, though 20 FPS is generally my limit. Without a counter in the corner of my screen, I'm as happy as a clam.

Tashi0106 said:
soniamdisappoint.jpg x10438281993

Also level 35? No way, much earlier than that.

Oh man I remember my climb from 26 to 40.

Playing for those color coded numbers was the greatest challenge of my life at the time.

Edit: Also totally know what you are talking about with the disc noise. Definitely had an overall fun time with that, not gonna lie lol.

Striker

Defiant playlist, got 2-flag at Tempest and Highlands :)

Oh yes, Halo 2 ranked colors

2prfdi1.jpg

MrBig

Louis Wu said:
You should talk to pete_the_duck at HBO (or RMAP at ForgeHub) - apparently, RMAP figured out how to place more than 8 mongeese at a time.
Ugh, I have no idea if there is even a PM system on HBO and I couldn't find anyone named RMAP at forgehub.

Anyway, here's v1 of the game, which can only be played in 4v4.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/filesets.aspx?set=31653&pxd=$nXx$USJdS8WLdQD1rxKAQ==

reach_15938514_Full.jpg

I wish they would have let us assign objects to be the objective rather that it just spawning a golf ball no matter what. Would allow for much more dynamic and creative creations.

Havok said:

It's a policy that needs to change across the board for Microsoft. Not allowing free content completely fucked over any chances that TF2 had of becoming as popular as it deserves on 360. It's insane.
I just don't understand why people are complaining about this right now. I play on DLC maps all the time in regular matchmaking playlists. They've clearly made matching with other DLC owners a higher priority.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lead Based Paint said:
Oh man I remember my climb from 26 to 40.

Playing for those color coded numbers was the greatest challenge of my life at the time.

Edit: Also totally know what you are talking about with the disc noise. Definitely had an overall fun time with that, not gonna lie lol.
40 huh? That's legit. I only made it to 36 in TS.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God damn, Tashi's layin the smack down.

HiredN00bs said:
I just don't understand why people are complaining about this right now. I play on DLC maps all the time in regular matchmaking playlists. They've clearly made matching with other DLC owners a higher priority.

Same with me. All 3 matches I played of FF last night were unearthed.

Also, Noobs, get Stephen on here.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
40 huh? That's legit. I only made it to 36 in TS.
:lol I only made it to 28 or thereabouts (btb or something). H2 and H3 were all about customs to me (got to a 45 in Lone Wolves and then went on to play ~2500 customs while MM totaled out at around ~800; H2 was more like ~200 mm, and then ~2000 customs) Reach broke that pattern :(

HiredN00bs said:

See this I don't understand haha. Some people say they play DLC maps in MM all the time, and other (like me) almost never play them. I have never, to this day, played any DLC map in BTB, even when searching with parties of 5,6+. Just looking up some stats right now for myself. Team Slayer is the most popular playlist in the game, and only 8 players. I have never played Anchor 9 in the playlist and I have played Tempest 3 times. (Also for the record, the other DLC map that is there is Condemned, and I haven't played that, although it just came out, so I'll let that one slide.)

As for the requiring DLC in H3, I don't agree with that. Although I wouldn't be crying bloody murder if they did it in Reach because I would love to play the maps that I have paid for, I don't agree with the principal. You shouldn't require players that paid 60 dollars for a game to pay more just to keep playing it. Maybe some minority/specialty playlists would be okay I guess (MLG and say something like Action Sack from H3 that uses a bunch on Sandbox stuff), but at one point in H3, Ranked Team Slayer for DLC required with paid DLC out there. 4v4 Slayer IS Halo to a lot of people, and to lock people out of that playlist is completely unfair.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
See this I don't understand haha. Some people say they play DLC maps in MM all the time, and other (like me) almost never play them. I have never, to this day, played any DLC map in BTB, even when searching with parties of 5,6+. Just looking up some stats right now for myself. Team Slayer is the most popular playlist in the game, and only 8 players. I have never played Anchor 9 in the playlist and I have played Tempest 3 times. (Also for the record, the other DLC map that is there is Condemned, and I haven't played that, although it just came out, so I'll let that one slide.)

As for the requiring DLC in H3, I don't agree with that. Although I wouldn't be crying bloody murder if they did it in Reach because I would love to play the maps that I have paid for, I don't agree with the principal. You shouldn't require players that paid 60 dollars for a game to pay more just to keep playing it. Maybe some minority/specialty playlists would be okay I guess (MLG and say something like Action Sack from H3 that uses a bunch on Sandbox stuff), but at one point in H3, Ranked Team Slayer for DLC required with paid DLC out there. 4v4 Slayer IS Halo to a lot of people, and to lock people out of that playlist is completely unfair.

Jeremiah posted that DLC is a high factor, but connection and skill are higher priorities in the search.

Kujo

Halo 2 was glitchy. But Halo 2 at it's best, was better than anything else IMO

I'm still annoyed by Halo 3's handling of DLC. I have all the map packs except the last one (and don't have ODST anymore) so I can't play anything except slayer. And MMP2 is still 800msp, blargh

Played my first game of Speedflag today. Wow, I love being able to shoot while having the flag. The only thing that kinda breaks it is Evade. I hope it gets removed in the future.

Also, HaloBall is pretty fun. I love the SkeeBall aspect of it.

And Classic gives me some sort of nostalgia, but the aesthetics of the maps kinda ruin it. The Derelict remake is the only map that sort of resembles the original. Love the gameplay though. I think I may have found a new home in MM.

zlatko

Banned
Hockey is trash. The game I played had the other team doing nothing but running around assassinating our team that was trying to actually get the ball into the net.

Speed Flag was awesome, and Haloball (the golf one) is amazing.

Classic is also a blast and I go positive a lot more in that then I do in any other game type...but I miss being able to run, and the grenades seem a bit too beefy. Oh and I wish it wasn't just on community maps...

Crucio

Speedpile, I love the gametype its very competitive and fast paced. Always gotta keep eyes everywhere.
Haloball is just plain fun, Extreme is just chaos.
Hockey is awesome, feels great when you score. But Assasinations destroy the gameplay. Disable them,now!

zlatko said:
Hockey is trash. The game I played had the other team doing nothing but running around assassinating our team that was trying to actually get the ball into the net.

Speed Flag was awesome, and Haloball (the golf one) is amazing.

Classic is also a blast and I go positive a lot more in that then I do in any other game type...but I miss being able to run, and the grenades seem a bit too beefy. Oh and I wish it wasn't just on community maps...

do you get credits for action sack?

GhaleonEB

cR payouts are the same in Action Sack as in other Multiplayer playlist.

Though since most of them don't involve much fighting, there's not much Commendation progress and thus a touch less overall.

I'll be doing Action Sack and Firefight Arcade in just a bit if anyone wants a partner.

Tawpgun

No but really.

Off with assassinations in hockey. It's probably my favorite action sack game but the people who ignore the ball and go for assassinations ruin it.

They are the equivelant of Halo 3 Rocket Race On-Foot-Douchebag-Squad

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
vlj6W.png

It's a minitage LOL

You guys have heard my bitching about how it's been a shitty week for me to get clips and how I was away for 3 days. I just decided to cut my losses, put out this < 1 minute montage and get to work on Episode 3.

At least, it's been captured in GLORIOUS HD by Juices. Thanks again bro, you're the man. Thanks to Letters again for the title and banner. Much love.

Tashi's Weekly Montage Series - Episode 2 - The Minitage

Enjoy? lol

I am gonna pull a Dani and play some Halo at a crazy late hour into the night :p Anyone that wants to party up can feel free to shoot me an invite.

Oozer3993

Botolf said:
I'm one of those who are genuinely insensitive, though 20 FPS is generally my limit. Without a counter in the corner of my screen, I'm as happy as a clam.

Ditto. Every once in awhile I notice a little frameyness here and there, but for the most part Reach seems smooth to me, at least in multiplayer.

GhaleonEB

zlatko said:
I just quit out of my first MP game in an eternity, and it was Hockey, for that reason. Seven out of eight players were trying for assassinations; I was the only dude actually playing. The mode is completely broken with them left on, there's no point in even trying.

Why no option to veto in Action Sack?

Tashi0106 said:
It's a minitage LOL

Enjoy? lol
Disclaimer: Most of those kills were mine. I've been playing on Tashi's profile for most of the past week.

Me likey, but wish there was more variety dude!

Also, played more games of power slayer. Since my first game, I've been having a lot more fun and have been having a better experience overall. Maybe it was something about Boardwalk...

KevinRo said:
Is there an option to have DLC as a priority in searching?

I asked Jeremiah in the thread that MrBig is referring to, he didn't reply.

Although, yes there is a filter to search for DLC, it obviously is not very strong.

Kawl_USC

Is there no way to differentiate between people dropping due to network issues and chronic quitters? Ever since Spring Break campus internet has been going haywire: I lose Wi-Fi on my laptop several times a day, and it seems that I drop from something insane like any where from a third to a half of the games I play on bad days.

It has gotten bad enough where I am on perpetual probation, meaning that now every single time I drop from a game I earn a 10 minute temp ban. It is beyond frustrating. There is nothing I can do to improve my connection, I don't have access to the router settings or anything like that to open up ports or anything.

Just now I was playing a game and got dropped a few minutes into it. Knowing the drill by now I was not surprised to see a temp ban waiting for me in the lobby. So I waited the ten minutes and started up matchmaking once I could. It took longer than usual to find a match, probably a good 5 to 7 minutes. Once a game was found map voting and the usual took place and the countdown began. However, I noticed that the countdown had frozen. It soon said Network Difficulties, trying to establish a new connection, or whatever the exact line is. After 30 seconds of that, everyone else dropped from the lobby and I was left alone. The game started and immediately ended as I was the only person in the game. I hurried though the game and into the lobby, only to find that I had gotten another temp ban.

How does that even work? I don't understand. I literally did not even get to play a game and got two temp bans.

Edit: After that ban, I got into an MLG CTF game. I got dropped after like 10 or 13 minutes (not sure if the time on CTF 5 games is 12 or 15), after having no lag problems the whole match. I do not understand this connection. I'll be enjoying another ten minute ban now.

Tashi0106 said:
It's a minitage LOL
Enjoy? lol
Awesome :) I love how good the capture quality is, I may have to purchase an HD Capture card or begin begging...

I kept hoping to see a triple kill the entire time! Good clips though.

Top Bottom