• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

KS Seven X said:
Halo hasn't been known as the slowest for consoles. Maybe casually, but when played at a high level it's known for it's speed. The only games faster are Unreal tournament and Shadowrun. Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, and Gears of War are all slower when played at the highest level.

Halo Reach is slightly slower for whatever reason.
Halo was always slower than Call Of Duty. And I must say that Gears Of War was faster than Halo, too. Because people is going to close combat with the shotty.

GhaleonEB

Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

A Friend in Need - 1300cR
Earn 5 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

A Satisfied Thirst - 1800cR
Kill 250 Grunts in Firefight Matchmaking.

Demon - 1250cR
Kill 10 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking.

Hyper Lethal Vector - 2000cR
Kill 100 enemies with headshots in Firefight Matchmaking.

Yeah FF DAY:D
Hell yeah. I'll be working from home today, so I'll be on during the day on and off.

Hypertrooper said:
Halo was always slower than Call Of Duty. And I must say that Gears Of War was faster than Halo, too. Because people is going to close combat with the shotty.

No it's not. I've seen Gears of War, Call of Duty, and Rainbow tournaments. They're all slow.

8126 credits from a FF game. Hell yea. Gunna grind my way to Brig Grade 1 this weekend. Who's gunna cover my ass (not that I need it I'm fucking sick at this game)

KS Seven X said:
No it's not. I've seen Gears of War, Call of Duty, and Rainbow tournaments. They're all slow.
You're talking just about a small group of players. If you play a normal game against normal gamers you will see that CoD is much faster than Halo.

Hypertrooper said:
You're talking just about a small group of players. If you play a normal game against normal gamers you will see that CoD is much faster than Halo.

I know that's what I said. The reason why I talked about tourneys is because that's how you play the game at the highest level. It's the best way to play the game if you want to win.

If we're talking casually, then yes, Halo is one of the slowest.

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
Because of the different health systems. They can hardly be compared.

DMeisterJ said:
I've gotten back into Reach recently, and I've actually never completed the campaign, so I felt compelled to do the challenge and finally beat the campaign. I have to say that I didn't have half the fun I had playing previous Halos... I'm not sure if it's because I haven't played Halo single-player in a while, but the whole run into an area, defeat waves upon waves of enemies, and then repeat wore thin after the first few missions... I mean, it was bordering on predictability by endgame.

I also really disliked the general uselessness of any A.I. companion in the game, especially with the ill-equipped teammates like one member of Noble six who seemed to have a fucking shotgun in the goddamned grand canyon. Completely useless for any and all parts of that mission since everyone was basically long-range on that level. And them also being attached to your hip meant that flanking an enemy was impossible. Or they were caught on an object or chilling way far back from any point of interest.

All that said, I did have a lot of fun with the campaign and learning what happened before the original Halo (since I don't read the Halo books), but I'll never touch it again. The 10k xp points were pretty ace though.
That doesn't describe 3/4ths of the encounters in the campaign.

LosDaddie

Banned
Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

A Friend in Need - 1300cR
Earn 5 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

A Satisfied Thirst - 1800cR
Kill 250 Grunts in Firefight Matchmaking.

Demon - 1250cR
Kill 10 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking.

Hyper Lethal Vector - 2000cR
Kill 100 enemies with headshots in Firefight Matchmaking.

Yeah FF DAY:D

Nice! This means I should get nearly 10k credits in about 40min of playing. :D

Arnie

NullPointer said:
We now have a solid balance between pistol, AR and the DMR and that's primarily due to bloom imho.
Check every single person's multiplayer stats in this thread and find me someone who has more kill with the pistol/AR over the DMR. This either suggests the three weapons aren't as balanced as you first thought or that people will always gravitate to the DMR anyway, regardless of balance.

Got my Astro A40's today, absolutely phenomenal. As someone who has played games his entire life through shitty TV speakers, I'm in awe. Sitting at top mid on Sanctuary I could identify enemies by sound alone.

Looks like Firefight is the order of the day for me though.
xxjuicesxx said:
I'd rather have you as a multiplayer designer than a playlist manager, I think your talents would be wasted flipping switches and placing spawns.

MrBig

Arnie said:
Check every single person's multiplayer stats in this thread and find me someone who has more kill with the pistol/AR over the DMR. This either suggests the three weapons aren't as balanced as you first thought or that people will always gravitate to the DMR anyway, regardless of balance.
My pistol kills are actually pretty high. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=Mr Kwatz

The DMR and pistol are the same gun but the pistol has a high rof and spread. Same damage. Those kills would be much higher if I played more multi team.

Also ghost fight go
reach_11820112_Full.jpg

kylej

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Terrible. Will do the gruntpocalypse ones and I may be up for a game of Firefight... Can't really tolerate these long games. Long games versus human opponents? Good. Versus AI evading everything, lag, and frame rate issues? Don't like.

Troll. Firefight is so fun. I love playing it. I love how Firefight got the same amount of maps as multiplayer. That's because the community cares equally about both. Bungie listens to its fans. Thank you Bun*jumps off bridge*

Pete Rock

Rocket Race Rampage!

3 destinations, 4 kills, one enemy denial and a landmine double-boost in about 30 seconds :lol

You guys should come play some time, most fun you can have in MT, outside of farming cheap multikills on distracted players in every other gametype.

Arnie

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
TELL ME ABOUT IT

Halo: Reach trueskill matchmaking is shit. Anyone who claims it's better than prior games is a chronic bullshitter. It's effectively social now.

Eh, it works sometimes, when I play with buddies who never play, their trueskill sets the tone for a kid crap fest. It's definitely there, but yeah, I agree, sometimes there are definitely WTF moments.

xxjuicesxx said:
I'm sprry but what the FUCK is this trueskill???

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=399300438&player=SometimesImEpic

Go in alone and EVERYONE of my teammates go negative damn negative while EVERYONE on the other team goes positive?

What the fuck is that?????!!!!!!!!!!

That's the first time that's ever happened to you in this game? You lucky mother bleeeeep.

Also, good times on New Alexandria Nutters, had some pretty hilarious elevator teleportation mishap deaths :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Trueskill seems to work better when I play solo. My neighbor just got Reach (for Christmas) and I've been gaming with him & his (much) lower rank all week. Well, I/we rarely get matched up with people near my rank (Lt. Colonel G3), but rather people closer to his rank. No complaints here because killing n00bs is always fun. :D

But that is beside the point because I don't believe Trueskill works. Or at least there's not enough people playing on XBL (not just Reach) for TS to work properly.

Arnie said:
TELL ME ABOUT IT

Halo: Reach trueskill matchmaking is shit. Anyone who claims it's better than prior games is a chronic bullshitter. It's effectively social now.

eh...seems like more of a case that you got matched up against a team who knew what they were doing (and probably play together often) than anything else. Notice how all their icons/symbols are the same. Were you playing solo, or with friends?

Squall ASF said:
That's the first time that's ever happened to you in this game? You lucky mother bleeeeep.

Also, good times on New Alexandria Nutters, had some pretty hilarious elevator teleportation mishap deaths :lol

Ha please, that shit happens every other game with randoms.

It just doens't make any sense if you've made it UP THERE in trueskill yet you get teammates who are that bad... How did they get up to that level of trueskill? No sense at all. Honesly I think the better you get at a playlist means they don't match you up against better enemies but WORSE teammates. :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Ha please, that shit happens every other game with randoms.

It just doens't make any sense if you've made it UP THERE in trueskill yet you get teammates who are that bad... How did they get up to that level of trueskill? No sense at all. Honesly I think the better you get at a playlist means they don't match you up against better enemies but WORSE teammates. :lol

I find SWAT to be streak-y for me. Some games I'll get a +8 K/D ratio, the next game it'll be the opposite. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I guess if you don't prefer skill it just takes what's available with a little hint of True Skill matchmaking.

Arnie

LosDaddie said:
eh...seems like more of a case that you got matched up against a team who knew what they were doing (and probably play together often) than anything else. Notice how all their icons/symbols are the same. Were you playing solo, or with friends?
No, me and my friend were matched up with the dregs of the Earth, hence their negative ratio corresponding with the two players on the other team. Me and my friend are good Halo players, we had no problem with the opponents, just our incompetent teammates not securing map control, firing their weapons or in fact doing anything other than run around and allow the opponents to kill them with little resistance. This sort of shit is indefensible, by creating these sorts of games, as well as games whereby my connection is significantly worse than the opposing team the matchmaking system is effectively wasting my time.
Tashi0106 said:
I guess if you don't prefer skill it just takes what's available with a little hint of True Skill matchmaking.
Which is exactly the problem. Using a custom search, either for good connection or by skill just ensures you'll be looking at that same "searching players" screen until your patience gives way and you revert back to default. The matchmaking speeds for anything other than default, especially in a playlist like MLG which is already running thin on players (wonder why, Halo 3 was healthy enough) are simply unacceptable.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
I'm sprry but what the FUCK is this trueskill???

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=399300438&player=SometimesImEpic

Go in alone and EVERYONE of my teammates go negative damn negative while EVERYONE on the other team goes positive?

What the fuck is that?????!!!!!!!!!!
The WestCoast dude doesn't play often. He's only played a few games in the SWAT playlist, and since we know it takes a few games for Trueskill to establish their skill level, it's not surprising to see newbies in the mix early on. The other -10 dude appears to have been AFK.

The guy above you went -3 in that game, but he had 15 kills, and looking at this play history is very streaky in SWAT - long stretches of positive K/D and then negative. Others have already noted they can be streaky in SWAT (I am). He had a bad game maybe? And so did you from the looks of it.

Seems pretty normal to me.

Striker

Hypertrooper said:
The slow base speeds started with Halo 3. Halo was hectic and fairly fast paced in Halo 1/2.

LosDaddie

Banned
Arnie said:
Me and my friend are good Halo players, we had no problem with the opponents, just our incompetent teammates .

That seems to be the crux of the issue here. You 2 got matched up against 3 players who all worked together, while your 2 teammates were off dicking around...probably just trying to shoot somebody.

Arnie

LosDaddie said:
That seems to be the crux of the issue here. You 2 got matched up against 3 players who all worked together, while your 2 teammates were off dicking around...probably just trying to shoot somebody.
Pretty much. Issues like this were remedied slightly in prior games because Bungie would force teams to play teams of the same number or more. So in this instance we wouldn't have been matched against a team of three. One more baffling change to add to the list.

Raide

CrazedArabMan said:
What firefight needs is a bigger map with a good amount of vehicles, and then a way to get rid of lag... :/

A vehicle based FF map would be interesting, especially if they upped the enemy numbers.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
It's sorely in need of a map like Lost Platoon.
I'd settle for something of a mix between Lost Platoon and Beachhead. But I can't think of any areas in the game to take something like that from - the campaign was oddly devoid of large vehicle battle, which is probably why there wasn't such a shipping map. Hopefully a DLC map goes that route.

Still disappointed that a Scarab couldn't be implemented as one of the waves on a new bigger map, but unfortunately I see that as 95% chance of not happening. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
Why doesn't Gears of War have lag like FF in Horde mode?

This is something I've never understood about Halo, it has absolutely the WORST coop lag of any game I've ever played.

Rainbow, Ghost, Gears, you name it, all do coop better than Halo.

MrBig

Genesis Knight said:
Gears has fewer enemies at a time, yes? I've noticed this too and it's the only thing I can come up with.
Ya gears throws 5-10 enemies at you while Reach does 20-30.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Genesis Knight said:
Gears has fewer enemies at a time, yes? I've noticed this too and it's the only thing I can come up with.

Not all the time, at times Gears has more enemies than Halo, in horde mode AND in coop. The lag in Halo is always there, even when nothing is on screen. This also doesn't explain why other games with equal if not more enemies don't have nearly as bad connection issues as Halo, both Rainbow six and Ghost Recon come to mind, not to mention the newer Operation flashpoint.

Halo has always had terrible coop.

Also, I don't recall Halo ever throwing 20-30 enemies at me at one time, except MAYBE the flood if you count all the little popcorn dudes.

Striker

Bungie's coding.

Halo 3 SP co-op
ODST co-op, FireFight
Reach SP co-op, Fightfight

I haven't experienced nearly as bad connections as you guys have had, but I know it can kick in at certain moments. Hopefully 343i does a better job for it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's probably because of the networking set up. I'm just talking out of my ass here but I'll bet that the enemies in Horde Mode act like bots in multiplayer and so the networking model is the same as it is in Gears multiplayer and Halo multiplayer. In Halo campaign co-op and Firefight all the players actions go through the host first so that's why there's input lag. If I understood correctly, I'm not 100% sure.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
It's probably because of the networking set up. I'm just talking out of my ass here but I'll bet that the enemies in Horde Mode act like bots in multiplayer and so the networking model is the same as it is in Gears multiplayer and Halo multiplayer. In Halo campaign co-op and Firefight all the players actions go through the host first so that's why there's input lag. If I understood correctly, I'm not 100% sure.

If that is true, why the hell not just code all of the covies as bots?!!?!?!?!

Arnie said:
Pretty much. Issues like this were remedied slightly in prior games because Bungie would force teams to play teams of the same number or more. So in this instance we wouldn't have been matched against a team of three. One more baffling change to add to the list.
That's a change? That happened to me pretty regularly in each halo.

I get way more consistent matches with reach than h3, with far fewer boosters and afkers

Blueblur1

I absolutely loved Crater. When I think of Firefight I automatically think of the awesome Crater FF games I played last year. I miss it (and Crater Night).

That reminds me: I wish the Engineers had been used more often in Reach. Oh, and I preferred when they weren't taken out by a few DMR shots. They made FF much more challenging and interesting.

Top Bottom