• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Blueblur1 said:
I absolutely loved Crater. When I think of Firefight I automatically think of the awesome Crater FF games I played last year. I miss it (and Crater Night).

That reminds me: I wish the Engineers had been used more often in Reach. Oh, and I preferred when they weren't taken out by a few DMR shots. They made FF much more challenging and interesting.
In ODST I just found theme really frustrating to kill, especially with certain skulls on. Or maybe I'm just thinking of trying to kill them with just the pistol.

Gui_PT

Blueblur1 said:
I absolutely loved Crater. When I think of Firefight I automatically think of the awesome Crater FF games I played last year. I miss it (and Crater Night).

That reminds me: I wish the Engineers had been used more often in Reach. Oh, and I preferred when they weren't taken out by a few DMR shots. They made FF much more challenging and interesting.

We should schedule a few ODST FF games. I really miss spending a few hours with three other people killing infinite waves of covenant.

CozMick

Banned
Whats the general concensus on the Armor Lock in this thread?

Im honestly fine with it but the "stickies dropping off while activated" is the stupidest gaming decision in years.

Gui_PT said:
We should schedule a few ODST FF games. I really miss spending a few hours with three other people killing infinite waves of covenant.
I still need that Heroic achievement. I remember the time where we nearly got it but the last Brute Chieftain killed us. :lol

CozMick said:

Im honestly fine with it but the "stickies dropping off while activated" is the stupidest gaming decision in years.
It sucks because it is overpowered... (compared to the other AA)

Arnie

electricpirate said:
That's a change? That happened to me pretty regularly in each halo.

I get way more consistent matches with reach than h3, with far fewer boosters and afkers
If you were searching in a team of three in Halo 3, matchmaking would only match you against at least another team of three. Matchmaking would specifically say "searching for another team of three within x - x skill range", thus preventing experiences like the one I was put through today. This was of course in Ranked games, have no idea how it worked in social, although I'd probably wager a guess that it worked pretty similar to how Reach works now.

xxjuicesxx said:
Ha please, that shit happens every other game with randoms.

It just doens't make any sense if you've made it UP THERE in trueskill yet you get teammates who are that bad... How did they get up to that level of trueskill? No sense at all. Honesly I think the better you get at a playlist means they don't match you up against better enemies but WORSE teammates. :lol

Haha I hear you on that one! Was the same exact situation with Halo 3. I think maybe you're in the same boat as me: Halo 2 was the golden age of the series and a huge part of that was because I only played with friends. I don't recall very many games with randoms at all. My Halo 2 friends moved on when the 360 came out and so I was stuck with randoms with Halo 3 and it's never been the same since. Always blew me away that upper 40 somethings could play like it was their first time, damn near every match. So, I definitely feel your pain.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
CozMick said:

Everyone loves it here actually. We all think it's probably the great addition to Halo since the Halo 1 pistol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Does anyone else think that there should be more than 4 dailies and 1 weekly? I wouldn't mind there being 8-10 dailies so that I always feel like there's some extra goody to accomplish in Reach throughout the day instead of logging on for 20 minutes to get 4 dailies and that's all I get until the next day. Just a thought.

GhaleonEB

I think that's the goal of the dailies, to encourage a few games. That said I'd rather see a mix of them, ranging from very easy to somewhat more challenging.

Speaking of which, I'm hopping on for some FF now if anyone wants a partner. I'm sticking to Score Attack and will forgo the assists one unless someone else hops on.

Hey You

Domino Theory said:
Does anyone else think that there should be more than 4 dailies and 1 weekly? I wouldn't mind there being 8-10 dailies so that I always feel like there's some extra goody to accomplish in Reach throughout the day instead of logging on for 20 minutes to get 4 dailies and that's all I get until the next day. Just a thought.
I actually would love that.

When It comes to challenges, I like to work towards something. A goal. After I've done the challenges, I just don't have as much fun playing games after the dailies are done. I still have fun of course.

Rank of ODST's Fightfight maps IMO:

Awesome:
Crater (my favorite)
Rally Point
Windward (always enjoyed taking out the Banshee; the spawn room was great for last-minute standoffs)

Okay:
Chasm Ten (except for when a hammer Brute gets loose in a hallway -_-)
Last Exit
Lost Platoon (fun for vehicles but that's it)

Meh:
Security Zone (I never did well on it; Wraiths were always too far in the back)
Alpha Site

Striker

Only ODST Firefight map I miss is Lost Platoon due to the vehicle battles. I did not care for the other maps. I like some in Reach's set, such as Beachhead and Overlook. One thing I do dislike about them is many of them are kind of large, but due to the ammo boxes all being around a specified area, and unless you're playing something with unlimited ammo, you'll never see an inch of that area. Talking about Glacier and Waterfront mostly.

Striker said:
Only ODST Firefight map I miss is Lost Platoon due to the vehicle battles. I did not care for the other maps. I like some in Reach's set, such as Beachhead and Overlook. One thing I do dislike about them is many of them are kind of large, but due to the ammo boxes all being around a specified area, and unless you're playing something with unlimited ammo, you'll never see an inch of that area. Talking about Glacier and Waterfront mostly.
I only like Corvette, Beachhead, Overlook, Holdout. And I would like Glacier but the framerate problems :/ The others ones are really looking like the same as the previous one I mentioned

TacticalFox88 said:
Every FPS needs a Firefight mode or some variation. I keep coming back after Black Ops pisses me off. Damn you Bungie. :lol

I thought the recent CoDs have that zombie mode? Only played the one in WaW very briefly so I don't know exactly how they work.

kylej

Banned

Magni

This job opening is just three years too early for me ><

On a more on-topic note, I'm not sure I'll ever even get to Iron for the Campaign and FF Assist commendations :lol Why don't assists to AI teammates count as assists in Campaign by the way?

neoism

Arnie said:
Nope. I'm sad that it has become slower with Reach, in all facets of gameplay. However that doesn't negate my point that when used as Bungie intended the bloom is consistent. I would, like you prefer faster gameplay with no bloom.

I find Reach easier to play when I don't treat it as I would previous Halo games. This saddens me. I want to run around pushing my DMR to it's absolute limits at maximum pace like I used to with my Battle Rifle, but in doing so I fail. When I treat Reach's gameplay with a more considered approach I tend to be better off, timing each individual shot whilst I track my target. This may take away from some of the fun I used to have with the series but I still find it fun nonetheless.

In a perfect world I would like to interview Bungie about this issue. About why in their last ever love letter to the fanatical Halo community they would completely alter the gameplay and gratification loop to an extent that certain segments of the population can't even get the most basic enjoyment from the game. I know it's anecdotal, but my once Halo filled friends list is now a barren wasteland in a post Reach world, with only the odd Halo 3 custom match to be seen.

In one of the Vidocs prior to release, a Bungie staffer said that they wouldn't make the game unless they thought it was going to be played for years. If this was really the case then why didn't they polish the wheel to perfection rather than reinvent it. Reach feels like Bungie's new IP seeping into the Halo universe. A need to branch out with completely fresh ideas despite a devoted community who already embrace their old ones.

There was something sweet about stripping the last of the opponents shields and nailing the head in one squeeze of the trigger. Again it feels like a change made for the sake of it, rather to increase the fun factor.
Wow that sucks for a halo fan... I'm glad for me Reach is like a more older better bottle of fine wine.... It of course has lag issues.... no matter the net-code. I loove Halo 3, but just for some reason was just an average player. I'm still an average player:lol but I just feel more awesome playing Reach vs Halo 3. I do think 3 took more skill, not sure if tashi or other pros think so. The bloom does take awhile to use properly, and it is "sometimes" inconsistent. But for me Bloom is a-part of Reach. Really glad Reach for me >>>all other Halo games.

Gui_PT

Good games guys, that was fun.

Too bad Shogun had to leave
wifetacular.png

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Good games Ghaleon, Hypertrooper, and Gui. We should do that more often!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=400198140&player=AlienShogun

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=400170310&player=AlienShogun

On a 9 winstreak right now! :D

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx

Oh and I was right, my wife just walked through the door. :lol
Yeah that was fun. I had to run as my wife got back with the kids. Sounded like we both got wifetaculared. That Invasion game got me the Achievement for blowing the bomb on Breakpoint.

I keep forgetting to even look at the ones I still need. If one of you gets a random file recommendation from me, that's me getting an Achievement. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah that was fun. I had to run as my wife got back with the kids. Sounded like we both got wifetaculared. That Invasion game got me the Achievement for blowing the bomb on Breakpoint.

I keep forgetting to even look at the ones I still need. If one of you gets a random file recommendation from me, that's me getting an Achievement. :lol

Gui_PT said:
Good games guys, that was fun.

Too bad Shogun had to leave
wifetacular.png

:lol :lol

Alienshogun said:
Good games Ghaleon, Hypertrooper, and Gui. We should do that more often!

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=400198140&player=AlienShogun

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=400170310&player=AlienShogun

On a 9 winstreak right now! :D

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx

Oh and I was right, my wife just walked through the door. :lol
Yeah! Funny games! Too bad I only have only one week till school begins again. When that happens I will not be online at this time :/

I still need the Stockpile Achievement. If somebody wants to play TO or DLC, I will be in!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:
It's not my fault bungie can't make good 4v4 maps :lol

The 4v4 non forge world maps are fine, especially count down. It's the AAs like armor lock that make them shit.

Hypertrooper said:
Yeah! Funny games! Too bad I only have only one week till school begins again. When that happens I will not be online at this time :/

I still need the Stockpile Achievement. If somebody wants to play TO or DLC, I will be in!

Same here, but obviously the time difference is different.

GhaleonEB said:
The WestCoast dude doesn't play often. He's only played a few games in the SWAT playlist, and since we know it takes a few games for Trueskill to establish their skill level, it's not surprising to see newbies in the mix early on. The other -10 dude appears to have been AFK.

The guy above you went -3 in that game, but he had 15 kills, and looking at this play history is very streaky in SWAT - long stretches of positive K/D and then negative. Others have already noted they can be streaky in SWAT (I am). He had a bad game maybe? And so did you from the looks of it.

Seems pretty normal to me.

No I'm pretty far into Trueskill like its a struggle to go even now. I went +5 that game so I pulled a great game. All my teammates went negative and two went NEGATIVE ten. If Westcoast doesn't play much why am I getting matched with him I've played 13 hours of SWAT thats a LOT of SWAT games. I should be up there in invisible ranking and shouldn't be matched with him.

"INVISIBLE TRUESKILL" - Sucks

Numbers ranking system = better but still rough around the edges.

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
The 4v4 non forge world maps are fine, especially count down. It's the AAs like armor lock that make them shit.

And then BTB makes AAs pretty much worthless so its all good

kylej

Banned
I need someone (good) to play Arena Dubs with me. I started playing a couple days ago on a lark and if I get rated today and tomorrow I'll get an overall rating before the month is over...

gt - jelyk

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
PC gamer superiority, they will NEVER get over it, don't even try.

I ran several quake clans, and even participated in tournaments, I know it's an "appeal to authority fallacy," but Halo really is the modern day successor to those types of games. If anything from my experience, Quake was easier to be good at than Halo, and that's hard for me to say.

Top Bottom