• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

LAUGHTREY said:
Yes, but it's also a well established fact that within the Halo universe, technology sometimes goes backwards.

Nearly all modern assault rifles are pretty accurate too, for example.
And apparently the range of shotguns go down, even though in real life they can kill at 120 feet....

Roche

TacticalFox88 said:
And apparently the range of shotguns go down, even though in real life they can kill at 120 feet....

Could be possible what they're trying to kill has advanced faster than conventional weapons making them less effective at range, you know shielding technology, better armor and the like.

zumphry

Banned
So, being bored led me to a sketch of the Banshee from around 1999 that looks closer to the Reach Banshee, and not the look from Halo 1-3. Wonder if this inspired the look of it in Reach.

KYzkH.jpg

And this sketch of the Spectre(?) kinda looks like the Corvettes in Reach

Not really Halo but whatever: If Aerospace/New IP is open world (or even a MMO, which I hope it's not), I'd love to see stuff like this littered about the landscape. That is, if it has anything to do with ancient alien civilizations..

/stupid post

LAUGHTREY said:
Yes, but it's also a well established fact that within the Halo universe, technology sometimes goes backwards.
On a pretty grand scale, if the first chapters of Cryptum are anything to go by.

Gui_PT

neoism said:
:lol :lol yeah I can't even watch some of their vids because of this. I mean WTF wasn't that one guy with IGN for like 10+ years... lol

I just realized I called them "ignorante", oh the irony.

But in my defense, ignorante is ignorant in portuguese, so it's not that bad of a mistake =P

Arnie

Shootin' and Lootin'

Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 1500cR

Killagruntjaro!

Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game. 1000cR

Sticky Icky Icky

Earn 4 sticky grenade Kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1500cR

Vengeance Found

Earn your 'Revenge' in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1150cR

An easy four challenges today that should push me into Lieutenant Colonel Grade 3.

enzo_gt said:
Control yourself, I'm not singling anyone out, dude.

Just reading this Halo thread makes me depressed. Yes, we're all die hard fans of Halo here, some more than others, and yes we all care so much, but unlike what GhaleonEB sees, I see lots of hatred and stuff too. Criticisms and bitching are two different things, and I'm picking up more of the latter in this thread. I wouldnt've called this a small community, but it now appears it has become one, maybe that's why I'm seeing a lot of bitching. Fanaticism shouldn't be there if it brings irrationality. A Halo fanatic I know IRL got pissed off you could drive the forklift, because he argued spartans would be too heavy to operate them, and it has thus broken canon and ruined the experience.

Or maybe it really is us running out of stuff to talk about. Armor Lock, Armor Abilities, Bloom, DMR/BR/AR, all of these things are monotonous and everything that's said has been said in 2 other OTs. The occasional fails of the weak and funny videos keep me reading this thread, but maybe it's just argument fatigue that's getting to me.

Also, One One Seven was and always will be one of my favourite webcomics. So awesome.

I avoid posting these days, because on the whole Reach has dissapointed me, I still pop on and have fun once in a while - but its lost that Halo magic. I enjoy it as I would enjoy another video game, but it doesnt stand out and it isnt something I play for longer than a few games here and there.

The thing is, I want future Halo titles from 343 to acknowledge what people didnt enjoy/ what they did enjoy - so while the critism and bitching is monotonous I really think its healthy for the brand. I sort of hope Bungie will step in and change a few things, infact they already have. Armour lock isnt as omnipresent as it once was for example.

Another issue is, Halo 3 has been left in a pretty crappy state - so apart from custom games, I just dont enjoy that game - matchmaking is horribly slow/ full of derankers and afkers, and just generally has bad playlist set ups. To get my 'Halo fix' I pretty much have to jump on Reach, and I get the feeling that same thing is going to happen when 343 releases its first game, everyone is going to jump ship. So I really hope someone at 343 is keeping an eye on the various communities reactions and keeping an eye on statistics.

The fact that im still here complaining about things like assists isnt me just bitching, Reach still has HUGE problems, and when FFA Arena comes out im pretty sure assists will be the main reason I avoid it. The thing with Reach is, its core gameplay can be good, but some of the fundamental problems get in the way. The community (well Tashi :lol ) has shown evidence that stuff is wrong, but we havent heard official feedback?

pakkit

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Yeah, Bungie! Where's my title update to make shotguns automatic with a range of 120 feet?

WE DEMAND REALISM.

hJglT.png

Rules:
  • There are no prizes. It's just fun.
  • You can post your Bungie.net stats till Sunday(01.02.11) 8am(PST/5pm GMT/1pm EST) in this thread.
  • It is solo only
  • You have to play the mode online, so we can see your stats online.

This week gametype is: Gruntpoc... OMG! WTF?! by Hypertrooper

Ranking(So far):
Zennshi 31,016
Louis Wu 30,692
Guileless 4,687

Btw. you can create a awesome gametype for this competition! Send me a PM.

Thanks Zayne for this awesome banner!

Tailzo

I've barely played a Halo game before, I suck at fps games... But I've got a friend who liked some of the earlier Halo games and loves playing co op.

Can we play the whole game co op split screen offline multiplayer?

Tailzo said:
I've barely played a Halo game before, I suck at fps games... But I've got a friend who liked some of the earlier Halo games and loves playing co op.

Can we play the whole game co op split screen offline multiplayer?
Yes.

zumphry

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
hJglT.png

Rules:
  • There are no prizes. It's just fun.
  • You can post your Bungie.net stats till Sunday(01.02.11) 8am(PST/5pm GMT/1pm EST) in this thread.
  • It is solo only
  • You have to play the mode online, so we can see your stats online.

This week gametype is: Gruntpoc... OMG! WTF?! by Hypertrooper

Ranking(So far):
Zennshi 31,016
Louis Wu 30,692
Guileless 4,687

Btw. you can create a awesome gametype for this competition! Send me a PM.

Thanks Zayne for this awesome banner!

Me+A good band=Covie Killing Machine

We can submit as much as we want, right?

Kuroyume

Banned
Isn't there something in the new XBOX that prevents people from playing co-op? Might want to look into that in case you're playing it on the new model.

Btw, could we please get AL out of Multi Team already? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASEEEE

Kuroyume said:
Isn't there something in the new XBOX that prevents people from playing co-op? Might want to look into that in case you're playing it on the new model.

Btw, could we please get AL out of Multi Team already? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASEEEE
When you've a xbox with just 4GB storage. You can't play coop over xbl.(I think)

GhaleonEB said:
Both, and more. Rant incoming.

[Kat]'s my favorite character in the game, and as far as the series goes my favorite aside from Cortana. And her demise feels arbitrary, badly thought out and perfunctory. They needed to start knocking off characters, she's domed, the game moves on.

For me, Bungie was largely successful in getting me to like the characters and find them to be a believable squad. But they way they pay that off was, well, inept, and that's not a word I generally associate with Bungie's work in any department.

I think
her death
is emblematic of the problem with Reach's storytelling: Noble in-game vs. Noble in cutscenes.

"Noble in cutscenes" I was largely impressed by. There's some bluster and some cheese here and there, but they seem believable and extremely capable. Kat is very likable, strong but you can see some fragility there. Well written, and well acted.

"Noble in game" was dumb and frustrating. I was glad to see her
die
. She was a liability when she was in mission with you (stealing my hog, running me over with it, not shooting at goddamn anything) and when she's giving you orders over the comm, she repeats herself to the point of being grating. Most of Noble is the same way. And gameplay is how I spent most of my time with the characters.

During gameplay, the only one worse than Kat was Emile. On
Pillar of Autumn
, he's constantly spouting one-liners and all he has is that neutered shotgun that never does any damage. ಠ_ಠ And he always stays next to me, so I get lit up like a Christmas tree with plasma fire. :-/

I wish Bungie had spent a little time with co-op players, listening to how people talk when they're playing the game. There can be long stretches where we don't say anything. Or we'll call out directions or enemies we're focusing on. Instead, it's the same 5 lines that used to be given to marines who were with you only for the 2 minutes they were alive and now get repeated throughout the entire mission.
They got me zeroed!
ad nauseum. I long for missions where I was the Chief, alone against the Covenant.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Nah. You can play on easy if you want.
I was thinking more along the lines of Legendary. :lol

I played for 15 minutes and only got 7,000 points, and have to take off to work now. I'll give it another go tonight. The title of the gametype was spot-on. :lol

Miggytronz

well its been nice playing REACH, Im sure ill be back playing in the future once a title update goes into effect. My friends and I went out and picked up BC2 this week, REACH is on the back burner.

Love ya HALOGAF

GhaleonEB said:
I was thinking more along the lines of Legendary. :lol

I played for 15 minutes and only got 7,000 points, and have to take off to work now. I'll give it another go tonight. The title of the gametype was spot-on. :lol
I was amused to see how Gruntocalypse changes if you just disable headshots. :lol A little change with just a big scale.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mikasangelos said:
well its been nice playing REACH, Im sure ill be back playing in the future once a title update goes into effect. My friends and I went out and picked up BC2 this week, REACH is on the back burner.

Love ya HALOGAF
Pretty much me since the Steam sale and picking up ME2.

kylej

Banned
Kuroyume said:

We're looking into that. First we're trying to nail down why the game black screens every other game and we still don't know why the player models won't update even though we built the functionality ourselves.

By the way, Noble Map Pack(tm) is now available on Xbox Live Marketplace for $10!

Love,
Bungie

kylej said:
We're looking into that. First we're trying to nail down why the game black screens every other game and we still don't know why the player models won't update even though we built the functionality ourselves.

By the way, Noble Map Pack(tm) is now available on Xbox Live Marketplace for $10!

Love,
Bungie
:lol :lol :lol

And we may look into the addition of new armor in the game, even though that's the most requested DLC of the game besides maps. But we doubt it.

Love,
Bungie

Pete Rock

Even the Optimatch forum is like a snail compared to the rapid fire dialogs I remember in the H3 days. You can refresh it twice in a single day and not even see but a handful of posts drop off the front page, all the while the usual suspects are bumping their redundant irrelevant garbage day-in and day-out without repercussion.

The only example necessary to illustrate the extent of the problem is a thread titled "Did you feel the tank was bad on Hemorrhage?" with 200+ responses and an OP that bumps it every four hours. Why is shit like this allowed to exist? It's so obviously stupid and unnecessary that it's not even funny as a running gag. Awful.

All the while you've got a handful of mods spending their day debating very basic rules in the Community forum with what sounds like bored children at best, it really is beyond comprehension :lol

Hey You

Pete Rock said:
Even the Optimatch forum is like a snail compared to the rapid fire dialogs I remember in the H3 days. You can refresh it twice in a single day and not even see but a handful of posts drop off the front page, all the while the usual suspects are bumping their redundant irrelevant garbage day-in and day-out without repercussion.

The only example necessary to illustrate the extent of the problem is a thread titled "Did you feel the tank was bad on Hemorrhage?" with 200+ responses and an OP that bumps it every four hours. Why is shit like this allowed to exist? It's so obviously stupid and unnecessary that it's not even funny as a running gag. Awful.

All the while you've got a handful of mods spending their day debating very basic rules in the Community forum with what sounds like bored children at best, it really is beyond comprehension :lol
Yeah, its annoying how much shit is in there. Too many bitching threads that bump down threads that actually give suggestions for MM.

Dani said:
Where can I get the Gúta Avatar prop? :lol

gta.jpg
First I thought that is a Wampa. But then I saw colour of this beast. Damn! I really want it! But there will be little grunts who are attacking this beast, too?

Pete Rock said:
It really bothers me that they buried thus thread away in a forum that has less than 100 viewers. The General Discussion board had 2,500 people viewing right now...

To me it makes no sense to divide the community the way they did.

Off topic, I know. But it has been bothering me for a long time now, ever since the switch.

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
I am ashamed that I never touched Firefight until today....it has opened my eyes. O_O
I'm glad you have joined us. I'm sure we will do great things together.

I think Reach's Firefight is the best thing to happen to the series. (And I love the Reach campaign.)

TacticalFox88 said:
I am ashamed that I never touched Firefight until today....it has opened my eyes. O_O
It is all bungie's fault. Firefight is totally awesome! Especially the customization! But unfortunately the most reach players do not even know that there is such a massive feature in this game! The first reason are the commendations, because you can only earn commendation in FF matchmaking. So why should a player play firefight in the normal mode, if he don't earn much credits. So the player will choose "MP"-firefight. The second reason is that bungie haven't really promote Firefight after the E3. At the GamesCom public attender could only play normal firefight(because of Brian I could play the awesome mode called Versus. Thank you again for this opportunity, ManCannon!). The main presentation was about the campaign. And at PAX I really do not know if player could play sth. different than the normal firefight, too. And know you should read this awesome article about the firefight menus: Five Minutes With... Halo: Reach's Firefight Menus

Alienshogun said:
Uhg, I think Reach makes someone a better gamer at everything.

I just joined some buddies and completely shit on kids in Black ops.
The Halo community is mature than the others I guess. When I played with a german friend he spoke english with a american dude. And he hasnt complaint anything. In Call Of Duty he screamed everytime: Fu** you, american for your shitty connection.(In german of course)

GhaleonEB said:
I'm glad you have joined us. I'm sure we will do great things together.

I think Reach's Firefight is the best thing to happen to the series. (And I love the Reach campaign.)
Hell, I was expecting it to be so awesome. I kinda suck on Heroic, want to try and reach Legendary status, got any tips Ghal?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hypertrooper said:
The Halo community is mature than the others I guess. When I played with a german friend he spoke english with a american dude. And he hasnt complaint anything. In Call Of Duty he screamed everytime: Fu** you, american for your shitty connection.(In german of course)

I think our wires are getting crossed, I was talking about being good at COD.

I'm the opposite of your friend though, Halo makes me rage, really bad, almost to the point now where I'm going to have to stop playing, it's a really, really fun game, but the competitiveness that it brings out in me, is just really unhealthy.

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
Hell, I was expecting it to be so awesome. I kinda suck on Heroic, want to try and reach Legendary status, got any tips Ghal?
Hmm. Personally, I like solo play on Heroic and co-op play on Legendary (which I've had precious little of in Reach). I find that to be the sweet spot, as adding a second player more than cuts the difficulty of surviving in half. I'm hoping some Legendary FF makes its way into Matchmaking eventually.

My general approach - for both Score Attack and regular Firefight solo play - is to find locations with three features: 1) a vantage point over the battlefield so you can see where the enemy is coming from and what they are, 2) which also has a limited number of ways to access so you don't get surrounded too easily but 3) which also has more than one way out so you can escape when surrounded or out of ammo/health.

The way the maps are designed, most have areas near the main spawn rooms and ammo cratest that work well.

That's my approach to solo play. When playing with others, I roam a lot more over the battlefield (I tend to use Sprint almost exclusively) and flank the enemy squads. Most players tend to huddle up near the primary spawns and ammo racks. But by moving outside those areas I can romp through packs of guys pretty quickly as they're either isolated or distracted.

Two clips I've posted before I got a kick out of show that approach, where I'm letting the other players occupy the center and moving to the peripheral to take out the stragglers and then flank the rest. One, two.

Don't use Armor Lock.

And also, dance like a mofo.

GhaleonEB said:
Hmm. Personally, I like solo play on Heroic and co-op play on Legendary (which I've had precious little of in Reach). I find that to be the sweet spot, as adding a second player more than cuts the difficulty of surviving in half. I'm hoping some Legendary FF makes its way into Matchmaking eventually.

My general approach - for both Score Attack and regular Firefight solo play - is to find locations with three features: 1) a vantage point over the battlefield so you can see where the enemy is coming from and what they are, 2) which also has a limited number of ways to access so you don't get surrounded too easily but 3) which also has more than one way out so you can escape when surrounded or out of ammo/health.

The way the maps are designed, most have areas near the main spawn rooms and ammo cratest that work well.

That's my approach to solo play. When playing with others, I roam a lot more over the battlefield (I tend to use Sprint almost exclusively) and flank the enemy squads. Most players tend to huddle up near the primary spawns and ammo racks. But by moving outside those areas I can romp through packs of guys pretty quickly as they're either isolated or distracted.

Two clips I've posted before I got a kick out of show that approach, where I'm letting the other players occupy the center and moving to the peripheral to take out the stragglers and then flank the rest. One, two.

Don't use Armor Lock.

And also, dance like a mofo.
:D Thanks. And should I focus on Elites more than Grunts or just both equally?

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
:D Thanks. And should I focus on Elites more than Grunts or just both equally?
I tend to thin out the support dudes (Grunts, Jackals) as quickly as possible, because Elites generally take some focus time to take down. I tend to get shot and/or stuck if I leave Grunts wandering around while I'm dancing with an Elite or two. Thin them out, and Elites are a lot easier to take down. (That and grabbing a plasma pistol asap when you see Elites deploy.)

And I'm not sure if you discovered this in Campaign, but the Needle Rifle is the anti-Brute weapon. To all but Chieftains, three shots will take them down thanks to the supercombine. One clip can take down entire squads. In Score Attack, grab them during the Jackal wave in preparation for the Brutes. In regular FF, just keep an eye out for them, and grab a PP or Needle Rifle depending if Elites or Brutes drop off.

Also, the first wave of a FF round will always be Grunts/Jackals/Skirmishers. The Elites and Brutes tend to hit in waves 2-4.

GhaleonEB said:
Armor Lock / Shotgun in close quarters combat is unstoppable, especially with well timed melee attacks. Team that up with players using Sprint or Dropshield and you can hold a strongpoint while still putting serious pain on the Covenant.

As far as tips go?

* Respect the cannon on those dropships. Either destroy them with a few sniper or rocket shots, or keep to distance or cover to avoid some random early game deaths.
* The grunt you underestimate is the grunt that will have a fuel rod cannon, guaranteed.
* Try to hold on to ordinance until you need it. Its awesome to disintegrate a dozen grunts and jackals at once with orbital guns, but not so awesome when you're out of ammo once the hunters come with their elite death squad.
* In matchmaking Firefight your high scores will come primarily from multi-kills and staying alive (awards for X kills without dying are worth a ton). So, yeah, stay alive. The best way to stay alive is to work with your teammates. And don't be shy about picking up weapons your teammates drop. I prefer to run with DMR/Shotgun so even an allied death can be a good thing every once in a while ;P
* Keep a needle weapon handy to deal with Brute reinforcements. Three needles on target is all it takes for a nice super-combine Brute asplosion.

Its just a damn good time :)

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Armor Lock / Shotgun in close quarters combat is unstoppable, especially with well timed melee attacks. Team that up with players using Sprint or Dropshield and you can hold a strongpoint while still putting serious pain on the Covenant.
That was intended as a joke, given the clip. All of the loadouts are viable. :)

Top Bottom