• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Louis Wu

Hypertrooper said:
But arent you using the default Noble6? Or did you change your spartan for the custom games?
Yes, I am, you're right. But I've put on other armor on occasion - I just keep going back to the default.

Maybe now that folks are updating, I can see if switching armor triggers something...

Kujo

aww yeah

c2byf.jpg

GhaleonEB

I'd like to take this moment to note that the now uncorked Slot Machine bonus (another 900+ cR) has my full support. Most of the payouts from it had been in the 100-200 cR range, but now the midpoint is closer to 400.

Brigadier here I come.

Yay at the b.net models updating. Nothing on mine yet but it looks like they're being worked through.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
I'd like to take this moment to note that I approve of the now uncorked Slot Machine bonus (another 900+ cR). Most of the payouts from it had been in the 100-200 cR range, but now the midpoint is closer to 400.

Brigadier here I come.
Everyone's talking about this. :(

My payouts in the past two days have averaged about 150 - that's up from the 80-90 I was getting before the 'uncorking', but nowhere near the 'minimum 350' I'm hearing about from EVERYONE.

Someone's got me on a friggin' list. :(

ElRenoRaven

Arnie said:
I feel sorry for Lars, he did a lot of good work with Firefight to make it much funner than what was built into ODST, however he was let down by the networking team. The Firefight lag is unacceptable.

Odd I see very little lag in firefight. The only time I see a good amount is when a friend plays with me. His connection is shit though.

Also I just wanna say that todays challenges were nice. Thanks to them I'm one away from having my weekly done. lol

xxjuicesxx said:
If you see this guy in MM, best run.

playermodelashx.png

Sigh

One of these days mine will update. I know it will. I still believe.

Louis Wu said:

My payouts in the past two days have averaged about 150 - that's up from the 80-90 I was getting before the 'uncorking', but nowhere near the 'minimum 350' I'm hearing about from EVERYONE.

My one is always ~100cR. Fu** that shit. I want the jackpot, I want more than 100cR. I WANT THE WHOLE WORLD!

Btw. Happy Birthday Tashi!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Happy Birthday TashI!

xxjuicesxx said:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/xxjuicesxx/playermodelashx.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Pfft, best run to the fridge, 'cause his DMR is terrible. :D

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

If it makes you feel any better, I just got a 150 cR bonus.
The next game was 854, though.

Arnie

Quit a game of Firefight because of the lag, next game I received a 350 cR bonus. Screw that invisible no quitting payout Bungie are preaching, I'm better off dumping out of the games where I'm let down by my idling/quitting teammates rather than playing on through some belief that I'm going to be rewarded for my pain.

Genesis Knight said:
Probably doesn't pass 4p split testing?
That's what I'm thinking. It's interesting that the Community playlist won't allow for splitscreen, so maybe some of the more object-dense maps can still have a home there. If the 4-player test is indeed the issue, and only maps with bare-minimum structure and little-to-no flavor will be allowed in the general Matchmaking playlist, then I'd have to agree with Ramirez in that Forge World is a bit disappointing. My second biggest passion in Halo is custom games, so at least I'll still be making maps for that. It just sucks that we were given this huge palette to work with and are hindered from using it to it's full potential in terms of getting our babies out to the masses.

xxjuicesxx said:

QUOTE]Should have gone with Stormtrooper white.  :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
Quit a game of Firefight because of the lag, next game I received a 350 cR bonus. Screw that invisible no quitting payout Bungie are preaching, I'm better off dumping out of the games where I'm let down by my idling/quitting teammates rather than playing on through some belief that I'm going to be rewarded for my pain.

I said this a page ago, those aren't the "big payouts" they simply lifted the jackpot numbers into triple digits instead of double.

squidhands said:
Should have gone with Stormtrooper white. :D

This is not the juices you are looking for.

Wow hot dogger my profile has been updated! I can revel in the glory of my gold visor now :D

I played with the new AL loadout in Elite Slayer. It's still super lame, but way harder to get kills unless you're really close, or switch out weapons. Not a perfect fix, but definitely helps to balance it a bit more.

Alienshogun said:
This is not the juices you are looking for.
Edit: :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

I didn't notice this before I started playing the competitive MP hoppers more. But I always assumed the circle diagram showing how much I play the game modes was proportional. It's not.

I have 2 days and 9 hours put into the Campaign. And 20.5 hours put into Competitive. But the latter wedge is larger.

electricpirate said:
It is, it's just based on number of games played, not time spent.
Ah, that makes sense. (Actually, it doesn't, but at least I understand it now.)

These are great,

http://achievementhunter.com/archive/?id=1861

That race track is actually a pretty impressive piece of forge work. Off angle stuff is damn hard to do.

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't notice this before I started playing the competitive MP hoppers more. But I always assumed the circle diagram showing how much I play the game modes was proportional. It's not.

I have 2 days and 9 hours put into the Campaign. And 20.5 hours put into Competitive. But the latter wedge is larger.

It is, it's just based on number of games played, not time spent.

equil

Re-post:

Week 2 | Gametype: Vidmaster [First Place: 77,777 cR]

The Rules:

• Legendary Only.
  • Solo: Corvette (preferred), Waterfront only | 4 Players: Waterfront, Holdout only.
  • Just you, your Magnum, 4 of every grenade, and a whole lot of Covenant. There's more to Halo's weapons than a DMR and Magnum. Experiment.
  • 15 lives.
  • No defense play. Keep on moving. Don't hide behind cover so your shields can recharge. If you're hit, run so you don't get hit again. Exception to this rule: any wave with Skirmishers.
  • Must be online when attempting the challenge. Also, please provide a link to a saved film (don't have to render it). Don't be boring.
  • Style counts. Multikills, assassinations, sticks, you name it. The flashier, the better.

Options:
  • You can either play Solo, or in a party of 4. Player with most points in 4 Player will get combined score.
  • For extra difficulty (why?), you can play melee only, no hits from Grunts (or try to not get hit at all), and/or no health packs.
______

Week 1 Results

Rankings:

tgf7X.png
Zennshi: [+45,000 cR] | 45,000 cR
yk3ST.png
ZayneH: [+32,500 cR] | 32,500 cR
ECBRy.png
Louis Wu: [+26,250 cR] | 26,250 cR
1jS3S.png
Hydranockz: [+20,000 cR] | 20,000 cR
EdbCH.png
Guileless: [+15,000 cR] | 15,000 cR

Yeah the winner of this challenge will get this awesome gadget for his Xbox live avatar:
haloreachavatar3.jpg

GhaleonEB

equil said:
Yea, there's definitely something up with that film. :lol

It made my xbox freeze up too.
Wow, I didn't think it would carry over. :lol

Sorry 'bout that, but thanks for testing it. I'll shoot a note to someone.

What is up with this rule to the Firefight contest:

No defense play. Keep on moving. Don't hide behind cover so your shields can recharge. If you're hit, run so you don't get hit again. Exception to this rule: any wave with Skirmishers.

Is that a recommendation, or is the stipulation no turtling for the game type?
Alienshogun said:
Rendering it to see if it makes my PC assplode, if it does, Ghaleon owes me 1 thousand U.S dollars in small unmarked 20s.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It won't even load.

https://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12194807&player=GhaleonEB
Yup, black screen, no video. Amazing. I don't know what this bug is, but it's a sturdy beast.

Edit: video download works, though. Captures the weirdness before the crash.

Last week's challenge attempt was interrupted by whining friends who wanted me to quit and switch to matchmaking.

No more listening to them. This week's looks fun.

Gotta admit, I'm really starting to lose my faith in Reach.

Firefight
-----------------------
* Get outvoted as usual and forced to play either rocketfight or sniperfight, every, single, time. Both are modes I enjoy, but I haven't been able to get a vanilla game of Firefight in who knows how long.
* The game starts. One player drops. Two players idle.
* So now its me, alone, playing a game mode I didn't vote on.

This has happened for the majority of Firefight matches I've played in the past two weeks. I'm done.

Team Slayer
-----------------------
* Next match: Elite Slayer on Sword Base

Maybe the latest playlist update helps here - haven't tried yet. But these recent experiences are making me truly hate matchmaking and the Reach playerbase.

Also, whats the best way to deal with idlers? I set each of them as avoided players for "quitting early". Is there a better way to deal with these fucks?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
Gotta admit, I'm really starting to lose my faith in Reach.

Firefight
-----------------------
* Get outvoted as usual and forced to play either rocketfight or sniperfight, every, single, time. Both are modes I enjoy, but I haven't been able to get a vanilla game of Firefight in who knows how long.
* The game starts. One player drops. Two players idle.
* So now its me, alone, playing a game mode I didn't vote on.

This has happened for the majority of Firefight matches I've played in the past two weeks. I'm done.

Team Slayer
-----------------------

Maybe the latest playlist update helps here - haven't tried yet. But these recent experiences are making me truly hate matchmaking and the Reach playerbase.

Also, whats the best way to deal with idlers? I set each of them as avoided players for "quitting early". Is there a better way to deal with these fucks?

Blame Bungie, and the problem is they won't change it because it's getting voted for, so they will think "Hey, it must be popular!"

This game would be so awesome if all the gimick shit was put in it's own hopper. Race, Elite slayer, all of it. Just like they did with infection.

Give me team slayer without armor lock and I'd shit myself in excitement.

Well, not really, but you get where I'm coming from.

As for idlers, nope, bungie needs to get on that shit too.

Alienshogun said:
Blame Bungie, and the problem is they won't change it because it's getting voted for, so they will think "Hey, it must be popular!"

This game would be so awesome if all the gimick shit was put in it's own hopper. Race, Elite slayer, all of it. Just like they did with infection.

Give me team slayer without armor lock and I'd shit myself in excitement.

Well, not really, but you get where I'm coming from.

As for idlers, nope, bungie needs to get on that shit too.
It's like a vote for eating poop or drinking piss.

Well, everyone keeps voting for drinking piss, so they must love it! It's our most popular option!

Meanwhile, on Reach,
namib-desert-air-p-50.2.jpg

neoism

squidhands said:
hx5bx3.jpg

Elevation wins my vote for worst map I've played in a really long time. Like, early Foundry days long time. It's pretty much a jetpack only map, and the design is so poorly thought out I'm absolutely amazed that the Bungie testers thought that this map has actual competitive merit. Nothing but bridges and hallways, which is the death knell of any strafing that one might consider doing. The z-fighting is absolutely atrocious, there are random capture plates and flag stands that show up in a Slayer game, random ramps that dead end, and you can pretty much camp behind the teleporter frames and assassinate anyone stupid enough to use them. My favorite part of the map has to be the area that you spawn in on the bottom level and have only one way to higher ground; a lift that shoots you high enough to become an instant target for everyone on the other team, no matter where they are. I could go on, but I really don't want to sound like a total asshole.

I still haven't played all the maps yet (and I had to quit a game because everyone on my team bailed out right away), but if this isn't the worst of the bunch then I'm about to be really let down.
thiiiis...

Kuroyume

Banned
Matchmaking sucks... Nothing new here. Games were so much better when you could choose what you wanted to play. KZ2 did that and now they've changed it to matchmaking for KZ3. Freaking thing sucks.

Major Williams said:
Meanwhile, on Reach,
namib-desert-air-p-50.2.jpg
13yo8y.jpg

Kuroyume said:
Matchmaking sucks... Nothing new here. Games were so much better when you could choose what you wanted to play. KZ2 did that and now they've changed it to matchmaking for KZ3. Freaking thing sucks.
And here I thought that one of the true benefits on Matchmaking was variety. Not really. Not with Reach. Not lately.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:

It wouldn't be bad if you could choose. Halo/Bungie are idiots for throwing a ton of shit that doesn't belong into their hoppers.

Some people JUST want slayer, Some people JUST want CTF. When you're forced to play Rocket race, it pisses you off.

It's all the needless CRAP that ruins matchmaking.

If I go into slayer, I don't want to play elite slayer, living dead, etc.

If I go into "objective" I just want to play CTF not all the other bullshit in there.

People wonder why there are quitters/griefers, and wonder why people "slay the objective." Well some people want to play slayer, and end up playing oddball, that's why.

Sure there are going to be those who slay the OBJ anyway, but it would be less of an issue when most of the people in the playlist CHOSE OBJ to play OBJ.

Striker

It's how Bungie's been poorly setting the weightings.

For example, in BTB, you'll most often play Slayer, Elite Slayer, or something out of the ordinary, like Capture the Flag. Stockpile and Headhunter show up as frequently, if not more, than Multi-CTF/1-flag.

During the first voting screen, it should be:

Team Slayer [map name] - VOTE
Multi-CTF/1-flag [map name] - VOTE
Neutral Bomb/1-Bomb/Multi-Bomb [map name] - VOTE

If none of the above, make it Elite Slayer, Stockpile, and Headhunter, or one of the flag/bomb games not listed on the first voting screen. And get rid of Countdown for BTB for christ sake.

Alienshogun said:
It wouldn't be bad if you could choose. Halo/Bungie are idiots for throwing a ton of shit that doesn't belong into their hoppers.

Some people JUST want slayer, Some people JUST want CTF. When you're forced to play Rocket race, it pisses you off.

It's all the needless CRAP that ruins matchmaking.

If I go into slayer, I don't want to play elite slayer, living dead, etc.

If I go into "objective" I just want to play CTF not all the other bullshit in there.

People wonder why there are quitters/griefers, and wonder why people "slay the objective." Well some people want to play slayer, and end up playing oddball, that's why.

Sure there are going to be those who slay the OBJ anyway, but it would be less of an issue when most of the people in the playlist CHOSE OBJ to play OBJ.
There is no perfect solution though. They've done the best they can with what the demands are really.

I am much happier with Reach's playlists than Halo 3's at this point in the lifespan.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Major Williams said:
There is no perfect solution though. They've done the best they can with what the demands are really.

I am much happier with Reach's playlists than Halo 3's at this point in the lifespan.

Sure there is, give each their own playlist like other games do.

Team Territories, Team CTF, Team Slayer.

They keep bitching that some will be underpopulated, but they fail to realize that should be telling them something, if it's unpopular, REMOVE IT.

Those game modes are terrible, don't throw them in with other shit and make people play them because 300 people like it.

This is a lot of peoples biggest gripe with Halo, not mine, mine is obviously armor lock.

neoism

Ramirez said:
People actually TRY to do objective stuff in Multi Team? It's so random and horrible, it's not even worth it. Not when I can dong on kids as they try to get to that 30 second random moving hill before it moves in 5 seconds. :lol

*still no Spartan update* woo
yeah, I do the same... I just don't care for being the player that goes for the objective. I have 7 flag caps, and 1 bomb in like 600+ games.

Booties

Banned
came to post my 22k cr game, left with my tail between my legs.

Just got called out of work because of the weather, playing reach all day. Get at me dog, B 2 DA OOTIES (taking suggestions for a new gamertag, I think I already thought of the best one though so yours better be good).

e; rrrararharhjhh already taken by some dumb alt account with a grand total of 3, all halo 3, achievements. Last time I post my hilarious ideas for GTs such as OGRE 9000 on SA for all the lurkers to steal.

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
Sure there is, give each their own playlist like other games do.

Team Territories, Team CTF, Team Slayer.

They keep bitching that some will be underpopulated, but they fail to realize that should be telling them something, if it's unpopular, REMOVE IT.

Those game modes are terrible, don't throw them in with other shit and make people play them because 300 people like it.
This.

Or just force everyone to play MLG, the way Halo was meant to be played.

*runs

I actually wouldn't mind seeing/playing some objective games as an Elite. Is it possible to force a species in the objective gametypes?

neoism

GhaleonEB said:

Ah, that makes sense. (Actually, it doesn't, but at least I understand it now.)
You're post made me go see how long I spent in Reach.... 220 hours DAMN :lol :lol Talk about getting your money worth :D I haven't been bored of it once yet either!

Is it possible to do a pan-cam from a saved game? Just had a another Grunt moment where he went hundreds of feet into the air and would love to get a picture of the view from his angle.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I would love for the next Firefight update to include private matchmaking so you could go into Firefight alone or with 1-3 of your friends. I want to play Firefight in matchmaking for the score keeping and the credits, but sometimes I only have a party of 2 or 3. It would be nice to just be able to start a matchmade FF game with friends only (no matchmaking).

GhaleonEB

I just want Firefight Classic, though it will have to be its own playlist. Won't want to mix 30 minute and 2 hour game types together. And there will need to be some way to eject idle players mid game, as they could hang around forever if there's a few good players going.

And for Firefight Grab Bag (Genny Defense, Versus, Rocket/Sniperfight) and regular Firefight to be in their own playlists. Because Rocketfight and regular Firefight are not anywhere close to the same thing. I don't go into the Firefight playlist anymore unless I have a partner to vote for normal Firefight. (Thanks for the games earlier, Dax.)

I love Firefight so much, but it's not set up so I can play it how it was in ODST, or to even access the normal gametype without snagging someone along for the ride right now.

14/16 on the Weekly so far.

Top Bottom