• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, I agree. Obviously it should be within ranges.

The range that the AR is effective against the Magnum in this game is awful IMO. It is especially irksome because the Magnum is so much fun to use in this game.
This is the important part of why Reach's AR is so irksome for many. It's effective at mid-close range instead of just close range. I don't think it's very balanced with regards to the magnum in that respect.

What I would personally like to test with the AR is making it a monster at very close range but have it recoil out the wazoo. I don't mean bloom, I mean actual recoil. You wanna shoot it at mid range? Learn to burst fire or switch to a more appropriate weapon. Of course this would require that everyone starts with some sort of precision weapon in every gametype with the AR as a secondary.

Honestly, I think the scoped SMG from ODST would make an amazing starting weapon. It has a limited scope, and a little bit of recoil to add a learning curve. Add a heatshot damage bonus for unshielded opponents (not insta-kill) and I think it would be quite good.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Would anyone be willing to play ODST Firefight tonight? I just realized I have four more of the 200,000 point achievements I need to get to 100 percent complete the game.
Hells to the yeah I wanna play some ODST.

Barrow Roll said:
This is the important part of why Reach's AR is so irksome for many. It's effective at mid-close range instead of just close range. I don't think it's very balanced with regards to the magnum in that respect.

What I would personally like to test with the AR is making it a monster at very close range but have it recoil out the wazoo. I don't mean bloom, I mean actual recoil. You wanna shoot it at mid range? Learn to burst fire or switch to a more appropriate weapon. Of course this would require that everyone starts with some sort of precision weapon in every gametype with the AR as a secondary.

I think if the Magnum was very good like it should be than the current AR and DMR would balance with the Magnum nicely. Close range, AR is best. Mid-range, Magnum is best. Long-range, DMR is best.

Steelyuhas said:
I think if the Magnum was very good like it should be than the current AR and DMR would balance with the Magnum nicely. Close range, AR is best. Mid-range, Magnum is best. Long-range, DMR is best.
Yeah, that would work too. The idea in my head was under the assumption that we were stuck with the Magnum the way it is. A little less bloom (get rid of it completely? XD) and a 12 shot magazine and I think the Magnum would be set.

Barrow Roll said:
Yeah, that would work too. The idea in my head was under the assumption that we were stuck with the Magnum the way it is. A little less bloom (get rid of it completely? XD) and a 12 shot magazine and I think the Magnum would be set.

Oh man, gimmie the magnum with 12 shots and slightly faster bloom reset and I would never put the game down.

Karl2177

I've always thought of the human sandbox(I like to include the power weapons) more like:
Shotgun - AR - Pistol - DMR - Sniper (Rocket for anti-multi-infantry, Laser for anti-Vehicle, GL for EMP effect)

The issue now is it is weighted in certain areas more so than others, and weapons are performing great outside of their niche. The Pistol is the sucky one in the balance currently, and needs to be brought back to beta state. The MP gameplay is still getting crapped on by bloom and AAs, and the balance isn't even there to compensate for those.

Ken

Hitmonchan107 said:
Awesome! I was starting to wonder if I was on everybody's ignore list now. :lol

Give me an hour or so to find a stopping point on studying and to cook spaghetti for supper.

Sounds good. I'll check the thread again and go online in about 40 minutes.

Ken said:
Sounds good. I'll check the thread again and go online in about 40 minutes.
Barrow Roll said:
Hells to the yeah I wanna play some ODST.
My fashion blogger sent me a blog to copy edit and put online, so I won't be on until 10:30 p.m. EST (one hour from now). Sorry about that!

NullPointer said:
In the old days I would've joined you, but with Reach that means I never have to play firefight with that damn Black Eye skull EVER again.

I do so miss those maps though, and the silenced SMG.
We need one more person! You know you want to.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My fashion blogger sent me a blog to copy edit and put online, so I won't be on until 10:30 p.m. EST (one hour from now). Sorry about that!
In the old days I would've joined you, but with Reach that means I never have to play firefight with that damn Black Eye skull EVER again.

I do so miss those maps though, and the silenced SMG.

O D I N

Hitmonchan107 said:
I've been listening to Kid A all day.

Best music to study to. Well, that and Aphex Twin.

Edit: Would anyone be willing to play ODST Firefight tonight? I just realized I have four more of the 200,000 point achievements I need to get to 100 percent complete the game.

Hitmonchan! I need 1 or 2 more ODST firefight cheevos myself! I may not be able to play until late though...

On a side note, I'm loving FF Limited. I need more people to play with. Any takers?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
It's the one day in the year where this joke is funnier than it might normally be :p
Oh right it's 4/20. I actually don't smoke so that hasn't really popped into my head lol.

O D I N said:
Hitmonchan! I need 1 or 2 more ODST firefight cheevos myself! I may not be able to play until late though...

On a side note, I'm loving FF Limited. I need more people to play with. Any takers?
I'm pretty the fourth slot is going to be filled up by someone from HBO. But if I'm still up later tonight, we can tackle some cheevos together. *Bro knuckles.*

Tashi0106 said:
Oh right it's 4/20. I actually don't smoke so that hasn't really popped into my head lol.
I don't either bro :p

Would making a game in XNA for my final year project in university slightly related to Halo be frowned upon? I was gonna make all the assets myself like.

MrBig

O D I N said:

Are we still doing the gaf odst andH3 vidmaster party Friday? Have to wake up early tomorrow though so can't tonight.

O D I N

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm pretty the fourth slot is going to be filled up by someone from HBO. But if I'm still up later tonight, we can tackle some cheevos together. *Bro knuckles.*

Sweet man. I intend to finish off a couple of Gold commendations in FF the next couple of games I play. 200 kills off for 2 commendations. :D I think it's go loud and dome inspector.

MrBig said:
Are we still doing the gaf odst andH3 vidmaster party Friday? Have to wake up early tomorrow though so can't tonight.

I'd like to get in on some of this if it runs late. I tend to be on late (11pm-1am or later, central). Any late night gaffers out there?

Ken

O D I N said:

You can add my gamertag as I usually do FF Limited nowadays when no one else is on.

GT:Chocopolka

Hydranockz said:
I don't either bro :p

Would making a game in XNA for my final year project in university slightly related to Halo be frowned upon? I was gonna make all the assets myself like.
As long as you aren't intending to make a profit from it, you should be covered by the doctrine of fair use.

If you plan on releasing it through the XBLIG platform, it'd be frowned upon. If you make something that's similar to Halo, it could be considered a parody and be granted protection.

Hitmonchan107 said:
As long as you aren't intending to make a profit from it, you should be covered by the doctrine of fair use.

If you plan on releasing it through the XBLIG platform, it'd be frowned upon. If you make something that's similar to Halo, it could be considered a parody and be granted protection.
Ah right cool... Adventures of Oonsk will be a W.I.P after all :p

Lazslo

Ken said:
You can add my gamertag as I usually do FF Limited nowadays when no one else is on.

GT:Chocopolka
You're finally here! Congrats bro (guess you've been here for awhile, sry I never noticed)

PNut

Banned
I'm barely 20% in Gold division and it takes 10-15 minutes to find a game searching solo. It loads up 3 players almost instantly and then restarts the search over and over. Because of this I can usually only get in 4-5 games in one hour. I think The Arena as run its course.

When I do find games they all become camp fests. With radar and power weapons every where no one moves. More times than not the time expires before the 50th kill. The only maps that are fast paced are Zealot and Asylum.

343, please make the next Halo have numbered ranks in the competitive playlist that are visible for all to see, one level symmetrical maps and faster kill times for the starting weapons. Thanks.

Insaniac

seems like forgegaf is slowly dying, but I thought I'd share this map that I made that uses about 2/3rds of Forgeworld, its a large battlefield style game with 5 territories, games last for 20 minutes and the team with the most points from captured territories wins.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=TheLintendo

It uses the custom territories gametype "battlef". This map is still in its very early stages since I've had a hard time rounding up enough people to test this properly. However if anyone would be interested in joining me and my friends sometime to test this just let me know what ur GT is and I'll try to arrange a time when we'll be playing.

The map is really fun so far it has a heavy focus on teamwork and vehicles. The falcon is very fun to use offensively and as a primary troop transport, so if you like vehicle maps this is for you.

here's a pic of reds defending a territory from a blue falcon

reach_16738450_Full.jpg

Booshka

I dont have either of the map packs, but I just got back into playing Reach the last two weeks, after not playing it for months. I borrowed Reach from a friend when it first came out, played Campaign on Heroic and played some MM. Then I gave it back after about 3 weeks of playing. Didn't play it until just now after getting it from MS for the Disc Beta.

Kuroyume

Banned
That's why the AR is so obnoxious in this game. It's effective in close and middle range. Bloom doesn't matter for that weapon at all and you can just keep spraying it because of the large clip size but if you miss a shot with the pistol you're pretty much dead. It's ridiculous how much crap pistol users have to take into account when using that weapon compared to someone running around with the AR. Just wish they would explain how they justified nerfing the pistol and beefing up the AR after the beta. It was simply moronic.

I'm so damn tired of the AR in these games. Tired of hearing about how it's an iconic weapon. There's nothing iconic about it no matter how much they keep putting it on the art and other Halo crap. Maybe it's iconic for poop because that's all I think of when someone mentions the AR. It was nice to see it return after Halo 2 but we've reached the point where it needs to go away for a few games. Does the weapon look and sound better than it does in Halo 3? Yes, but I still refuse to use it whenever I can. I dislike everything about it. It's ugly and not fun to use at all. It ruins everything. Ruined BTB in Halo 3. Ruins the close to mid range combat with the pistol in this game. It's the turd gun.

Kuroyume said:
That's why the AR is so obnoxious in this game. It's effective in close and middle range. Bloom doesn't matter for that weapon at all and you can just keep spraying it because of the large clip size but if you miss a shot with the pistol you're pretty much dead. It's ridiculous how much crap pistol users have to take into account when using that weapon compared to someone running around with the AR. Just wish they would explain how they justified nerfing the pistol and beefing up the AR after the beta. It was simply moronic.

I'm so damn tired of the AR in these games. Tired of hearing about how it's an iconic weapon. There's nothing iconic about it no matter how much they keep putting it on the art and other Halo crap. Maybe it's iconic for poop because that's all I think of when someone mentions the AR. It was nice to see it return after Halo 2 but we've reached the point where it needs to go away for a few games. Does the weapon look and sound better than it does in Halo 3? Yes, but I still refuse to use it whenever I can. I dislike everything about it. It's ugly and not fun to use at all. It ruins everything. Ruined BTB in Halo 3. Ruins the close to mid range combat with the pistol in this game. It's the turd gun.
I don't think anybody else in this thread came as close as you did to me disagreeing with everything you just said. I am the complete opposite with everything here. Congratulations.

Domino Theory said:
So is there anyone left on HaloGAF who does NOT have the Defiant or Noble MP? Just curious.
I have neither, but I don't think that will come as a surprise to anyone ;)
Barrow Roll said:
It would be better for sure. But any changes done to the Magnum to make it better at mid-range would also make it better at long range. I'm all for it, but I think a lot of people would object.

GhaleonEB

LASO: Exodus down, and it was fun. Dax, Natalie and I romped through it in just under two hours. It wasn't hard per se, just lots of firefights that took a while to chip through. We didn't look up any guides or take any shortcuts, just plowed on through. (Well, until the end when Dax snuck in and hit the big red button before we'd cleared the place out, but I had a Wraith so if that didn't work we'd just have shelled the place flat.)

Fun mission, marred by some of the BS that often comes out during LASO runs. Exodus has more than its share, but it's otherwise one of the stronger missions in the game. (We got Banshee bombed from behind on the rail ride three times; Dax was killed by a Wraith firing backward, and so on.)

Brutes are a cakewalk next to Elites on Mythic. Here's hoping for a Firefight weekly Challenge next week. (It'll be MP.)

GloveSlap

Kuroyume said:

100% agreed. I won't use it either. I don't care how effective it is, running forward and spraying is just completely lame. Same goes for armor lock. There are some things just so offensive from a gameplay perspective that i won't go anywhere near them. I would rather die(in the game).

Edit-Does anyone have less AR kills as a percentage than i do? http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=GloveSlap
I have almost as many 1-shot grenade launcher kills, lol

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
Brutes are a cakewalk next to Elites on Mythic. Here's hoping for a Firefight weekly Challenge next week. (It'll be MP.)
You're the one with the stats on challenges and the like. It seems to me in the past few months it has mostly been LASO and MP stuff. What are the totals for weekly challenges in each division?

Also, does anyone know where I can download a spreadsheet or whatnot with all of the challenges to date? I started recording on Monday, because I got bored.

Booshka

GloveSlap said:
100% agreed. I won't use it either. I don't care how effective it is, running forward and spraying is just completely lame. Same goes for armor lock. There are some things just so offensive from a gameplay perspective that i won't go anywhere near them. I would rather die(in the game).

Edit-Does anyone have less AR kills as a percentage than i do? http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=GloveSlap
I have far less kills and games played, but mine is at 1%. I hate the AR in MP, it's a scrubby weapon and no fun to use. It has great uses in Campaign and FF against Grunts especially, but it is just miserable to use, and be killed by in MP.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=Booshka

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Insaniac said:
seems like forgegaf is slowly dying, but I thought I'd share this map that I made that uses about 2/3rds of Forgeworld, its a large battlefield style game with 5 territories, games last for 20 minutes and the team with the most points from captured territories wins.]
It'll probably get more active if they announce some new Forge maps. I wouldn't mind seeing a New Alexandria styled Forge map along with the Covenant one everyone talked about.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GloveSlap said:

Mine is pretty low I'll bet.

Ramirez

PNut said:
I'm barely 20% in Gold division and it takes 10-15 minutes to find a game searching solo. It loads up 3 players almost instantly and then restarts the search over and over. Because of this I can usually only get in 4-5 games in one hour. I think The Arena as run its course.

When I do find games they all become camp fests. With radar and power weapons every where no one moves. More times than not the time expires before the 50th kill. The only maps that are fast paced are Zealot and Asylum.

343, please make the next Halo have numbered ranks in the competitive playlist that are visible for all to see, one level symmetrical maps and faster kill times for the starting weapons. Thanks.

I'm not even placed in a division yet and it takes FOREVER to find a match, I usually give up before I even get 2 games in. Then when I do finally get into a game I'm reminded why it's garbage, radar has no place in a competitive playlist, and not a single map has had its weapons rearranged, shotgun/sword have no place on Swordbase, among other annoying things like the sniper respawn times on Asylum. I also don't understand why you only start with one grenade here, but two in classic, baffling to say the least.

^ How could anyone miss Community BTB, that was seriously the worst garbage I've ever played in a high profile online shooter.

Ramirez said:
I'm not even placed in a division yet and it takes FOREVER to find a match, I usually give up before I even get 2 games in. Then when I do finally get into a game I'm reminded why it's garbage, radar has no place in a competitive playlist, and not a single map has had its weapons rearranged, shotgun/sword have no place on Swordbase, among other annoying things like the sniper respawn times on Asylum. I also don't understand why you only start with one grenade here, but two in classic, baffling to say the least.

^ How could anyone miss Community BTB, that was seriously the worst garbage I've ever played in a high profile online shooter.
Halo Reach caters to many audiences. the competitive scene is alive and kicking.

Get online asshole

Edit: Alienshogun said he wanted to touch my butthole

GloveSlap said:
You sound like a man after my own heart. We should hang out lol.
GloveSlap said:
Like Booshka, I don't have nearly as many games played, but I too am at 1%: Long Live the Pistol!
I like looking at how many times I've killed someone with the assault rifle versus how many times I've been killed by it. -927 spread
rich-boy.jpg

Trasher

Deputy Moonman said:
That's really impressive, Tashi, considering how much you've played. Dang.
Ummm. Not really. Have you been in the MLG playlist lately? He doesn't play anything outside of it. ARs don't exist there.

Edit: Just realized your tag is appropriate right now. :)

Top Bottom