• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

LosDaddie

Banned
Nice challenges today. Looks like it's all about FF later tonight :)

Also, what exactly does this mean?:

Just Hold On...Complete 6 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying.

Can I just play one game of Gruntpocalypse, not die once, and get this challenge done?

JB1981

so are both dlc map map packs worth it? will i be able to get into games, and ya know, actually play the maps? noble map pack is 400 ms points, tempting.

GhaleonEB said:
LASO: Exodus down, and it was fun. Dax, Natalie and I romped through it in just under two hours. It wasn't hard per se, just lots of firefights that took a while to chip through. We didn't look up any guides or take any shortcuts, just plowed on through. (Well, until the end when Dax snuck in and hit the big red button before we'd cleared the place out, but I had a Wraith so if that didn't work we'd just have shelled the place flat.)

Fun mission, marred by some of the BS that often comes out during LASO runs. Exodus has more than its share, but it's otherwise one of the stronger missions in the game. (We got Banshee bombed from behind on the rail ride three times; Dax was killed by a Wraith firing backward, and so on.)

Brutes are a cakewalk next to Elites on Mythic. Here's hoping for a Firefight weekly Challenge next week. (It'll be MP.)

I did a solo run for this and yes indeed, Brutes are a joke compared to Elites! Not that it was a surprise, but made for some fun firefights. Didn't have to resort to namely noob combo or assassinations and the map has several areas where you're forced to fight groups with no way to run past so good stuff. I also discovered the way to sneak to the red button that I'm guessing Dax used. When I did my solo legendary run back when the game came out, I just used the wraith until every damn enemy was blown to smitherins but the few that stubbornly stayed near the button. Man was this faster!

As far as problems, only thing that comes to mind was the wraith magically hitting me over the mountain when he shouldn't even have been alerted to my presence yet ha Had one really intense moment at the part where you clear the building for the falcons to land. I jetpacked up to the third floor right away to take out the turrets easily and started pecking away from up there and all the sudden, the hammer brute was right next to me out of nowhere! Startled the hell out of me. I know, doesn't sound exciting but was crazy in the moment.

Havok said:
I'd rather not, thanks.

Why, because of the aesthetic or the layout?

I can understand not being a fan of endless yellow, but I like how Sandbox/Sandtrap gave us a Forerunner atmosphere without the same tired gray/blue color scheme.

LosDaddie

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
To clarify, one game is 5 Waves, which make a Round.

There is one Round in Score Attack, and three to Arcade and Limited.

ok, thanks.

Damn, might not be getting that challenge then today.

Ken said:
Anyone want to party up for these FF challenges today?

I'll be around 10pm EDT

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
Why, because of the aesthetic or the layout?

I can understand not being a fan of endless yellow, but I like how Sandbox/Sandtrap gave us a Forerunner atmosphere without the same tired gray/blue color scheme.
A bit of both. I really grew to dislike both the aesthetics and layout of both Sandtrap and Sandbox (Elephant shenanigans and cross-map lasers with no warning ruined Sandtrap for me, and I have zero love for anything that came out of Sandbox's Forge, default or not.).

But I was being mostly facetious. Forge spaces with different aesthetics are fine, but I think at this point, given the limitations that are still on the Forge tools (which allow far less freedom than they seem to at first glance, see: asinine object category grouping and limitations thereof), I'd rather see a bunch of awesome original maps than Forge spaces that result in a dozen god-awful Forge maps and maybe two good ones in a given community playlist. The ideas you put forth are a good start, but until the tools (and object palette, too. Let me place hills, not just weirdly shaped rocks, please) are up to snuff, it's all kind of too little too late.

LosDaddie said:
ok, thanks.

Damn, might not be getting that challenge then today.
Try getting rocket attack on Beachhead. It should be relatively simple if you jet pack up into the planters (left wall from initial spawn, way above the rocket hog) and rain on the enemies' spawns from on high. Watch out for the wave of Heretics(?). They'll shoot some long range rockets at you but no biggie. Two games of that (3 rounds each) and done. Sure you could do it other ways of course but this is how I beat the *flawless cowboy on Tuesday. You have OS the whole game and shouldn't have any trouble.

*edit: One Game, One Spawn rather

Trasher

Plywood said:
WITH THEIR BULLETS EVERYWHERE AND THEIR SILLY PEW-PAW-POW BULLETS! WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND SPRAY AND PRAY! GO BACK TO LIVING DEAD! DMR POWER!
I was hoping for a post like this. Good work.

Havok said:
A bit of both. I really grew to dislike both the aesthetics and layout of both Sandtrap and Sandbox (Elephant shenanigans and cross-map lasers with no warning ruined Sandtrap for me, and I have zero love for anything that came out of Sandbox's Forge, default or not.).

But I was being mostly facetious. Forge spaces with different aesthetics are fine, but I think at this point, given the limitations that are still on the Forge tools (which allow far less freedom than they seem to at first glance, see: asinine object category grouping and limitations thereof), I'd rather see a bunch of awesome original maps than Forge spaces that result in a dozen god-awful Forge maps and maybe two good ones in a given community playlist. The ideas you put forth are a good start, but until the tools (and object palette, too. Let me place hills, not just weirdly shaped rocks, please) are up to snuff, it's all kind of too little too late.

I think suffering a "dozen god-awful Forge maps" is a small price to pay for the two good ones.

Community Slayer and Community BTB are secretly test beds. If you hate bad Forge maps stay out of there and let other people test them. The point is that the best maps from the Community playlists should graduate to the normal Team Slayer and BTB playlists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Crown of Flies supposed to be in Team Slayer eventually? Hasn't Jeremiah mentioned one or two Community maps will be integrated into normal BTB?

Not to mention the Classic Slayer playlist. That could be much improved by the hypothetical Forge maps I mentioned in my post.

Of course, this does combine the problems of DLC integration and Forge map testing. Right now the only "Forged" DLC maps are Uplink and Unanchored, and those don't count. Maybe my DLC wish list would be better served as a Halo 4 wish list, so I agree with you in that it might be too late for it to work in Reach. I just think that if we're going to get another DLC pack of 3 maps it would be nice if it was possible to get more out of those maps.

equil

Alright so i just played King of the hill on Zealot in double team. Why is there a hill in the low gravity area up top...the 10 second kill zone is still up there. lol

Ramirez

equil said:
Alright so i just played King of the hill on Zealot in double team. Why is there a hill in the low gravity area up top...the 10 second kill zone is still up there. lol

Welcome to Reach, Six.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
I got a Perfection.

Story:

I ordered The Orange Box from gamestop.com after reading up on the awesome that is Portal 2 and getting the hankering to re-play Portal (I'd owned TOB before, but sold it since Portal was the only one on the disc I liked). I'll snag Portal 2 in a month or so.

Clearly, their customer service rep system does not use a pure version of TrueSkill, since it matched me up with a customer service rep who I was able to work through too easily. It wasn't even a fight.
Ghal you really should use Amazon... next time you get a game online. I used gamestop for all my games, but I finally used amazon about 3 years ago, and never looked back. Plus day of release is the best thing ever....
Portal is awesome so is P2. sooo goood.
lol

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I think suffering a "dozen god-awful Forge maps" is a small price to pay for the two good ones.

Community Slayer and Community BTB are secretly test beds. If you hate bad Forge maps stay out of there and let other people test them. The point is that the best maps from the Community playlists should graduate to the normal Team Slayer and BTB playlists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Crown of Flies supposed to be in Team Slayer eventually? Hasn't Jeremiah mentioned one or two Community maps will be integrated into normal BTB?

Not to mention the Classic Slayer playlist. That could be much improved by the hypothetical Forge maps I mentioned in my post.

Of course, this does combine the problems of DLC integration and Forge map testing. Right now the only "Forged" DLC maps are Uplink and Unanchored, and those don't count. Maybe my DLC wish list would be better served as a Halo 4 wish list, so I agree with you in that it might be too late for it to work in Reach. I just think that if we're going to get another DLC pack of 3 maps it would be nice if it was possible to get more out of those maps.
Sure, that's what I've been doing, staying as far away from those playlists as possible, because while the Crown of Flies and Kingdom games I played were fine, the rest were kind of miserable. I'd be lying if I said that I'd rather the playlist management team continued prioritizing the Forge stuff rather than fixing established issues first (the hill in zero-g, as seen above, and Drop Shield in Objective!!!!). But moving on, you're right that DLC Forge maps would benefit from using DLC. Even just using Tempest instead of Forge World would get rid of the framerate problem that plagues the Classic playlist so very badly. Unfortunately catering to a tiny portion of your consumer base isn't very good business and so it won't happen anytime soon. Pay attention, 343i.

Insaniac said:
speaking of the "community" playlists, do they even bother testing the maps or do they just throw whatever bullshit comes there way? And can I submit maps because I feel like my maps are much better than whats on those playlists
They rely on the different communities to moderate and submit candidates through appointed representatives (Ghaleon, NOKYARD). Unfortunately I think some communities are less discerning than others when considering map quality.

Insaniac

speaking of the "community" playlists, do they even bother testing the maps or do they just throw whatever bullshit comes there way? And can I submit maps because I feel like my maps are much better than whats on those playlists

Ramirez

Havok said:
Sure, that's what I've been doing, staying as far away from those playlists as possible, because while the Crown of Flies and Kingdom games I played were fine, the rest were kind of miserable. I'd be lying if I said that I'd rather the playlist management team continued prioritizing the Forge stuff rather than fixing established issues first (the hill in zero-g, as seen above, and Drop Shield in Objective!!!!). But moving on, you're right that DLC Forge maps would benefit from using DLC. Even just using Tempest instead of Forge World would get rid of the framerate problem that plagues the Classic playlist so very badly. Unfortunately catering to a tiny portion of your consumer base isn't very good business and so it won't happen anytime soon. Pay attention, 343i.

They rely on the different communities to moderate and submit candidates through appointed representatives (Ghaleon, NOKYARD). Unfortunately I think some communities are less discerning than others when considering map quality.

No offense to them, but how would a guy who plays nothing but Firefight and another guy who is mainly a Griffball guy know how good a map is for MP? Other communities are probably a 1000x worse as you said, but still.

neoism

Dax01 said:
Yeah despite a couple of things that was probably my favorite LASO run. It's either that or Oni: Sword Base.

Also, I gotta love HaloGAF. Limit the AR to be effective only at close range, people will complain that it's useless. Make the AR effective at medium and close range, then it's obnoxious. :
/
fuck that the AR in this game is awesome. I almost got a 1000 kills in MM with it.

Ramirez

I think people's problem with the AR is how little effort is needed to mindlessly rush someone who is trying to pistol the AR user. The skill gap of using a pistol to the AR is a colossal amount, and it was a lot less in the beta. I hate both weapons, so meh.

Ramirez said:
No offense to them, but how would a guy who plays nothing but Firefight and another guy who is mainly a Griffball guy know how good a map is for MP? Other communities are probably a 1000x worse as you said, but still.
You couldn't possibly understand, being someone who has never been talented at anything, but at a certain point one can be so well-versed in a creative process that no matter the medium, no matter the canvas, they will excell. Ghaleon has reached such heights with map design. He's at a point where he can craft the most exquisite playspaces without ever stepping foot in the game. He can successfully evaluate a map's by simply glancing at its photo and relay this valuable information to bungie. I hear Blizzard contracts him to make SC2 maps and he doesn't even know its a RTS.

There's a reason talented folks such as Ghaleon are Bungie's gatekeepers. Just you wait until the upcoming community playlist.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
Ghal you really should use Amazon... next time you get a game online. I used gamestop for all my games, but I finally used amazon about 3 years ago, and never looked back. Plus day of release is the best thing ever....
Portal is awesome so is P2. sooo goood.
lol
I use Amazon for 90% of my retail purchases. I went with Gamestop because while they both had a $20 copy of The Orange Box, their shipping was cheaper than Amazon's.

I try to avoid Gamestop otherwise.

On a different note, I think I need to settle in and finish something. I've been dividing my Halo time between writing an article analyzing Firefight (at six pages currently), working a review of the campaign (ten), and updating Crossroads while taking notes for the next Forging Ahead entry. I've been working on all three for weeks but haven't focused on one to finish. (Been writing a crapload about candymaking as well.)

I think I'm going to zero in on getting the map completed and ready for this weekend's customs, and then the next FA entry done over the weekend. And then try to knock off the Reach review next week. It's taken two months for me to settle on my thesis for the campaign, but it's finally coming along. Firefight is going to require a lot of analysis and media to illustrate it so I'll focus on that when I'm through.

Also, I want to continue playing the piss out of Firefight. So many toys, so little time.

ncsuDuncan said:

I gotta say, that would be fucking awesome. :)

Ramirez said:
They recommend stuff to the Community Cartographers, it's not a guarantee that the map will see the light of MM in any way. From what I understand, there are several members who spend more time playing the more competitive playlists, so there is a wide range of skills and opinions. Which is much like the player base at large, so take that as you will. Regardless, it's leagues better than the...attempt of H3's ATLAS group. I'm incredibly interested to see what 343 ends up doing with the Community Cartographers.

Lake Minnetonka said:
daytime Emmy material
suspicions confirmed.

GhaleonEB

O D I N said:
Pretty sure Ghaleon has me on ignore. :<

But I'll be more than happy to some FF for challenges/fun when I get home from work.
Nah, just behind on actually reading the thread.

*goes back and reads*

...what did I miss? Not ignoring you on purpose.

Gui_PT

Hey guys, thanks for saving my spot for the FF achievements in ODST.

I leave for a few days and you completely forget about me. Sheesh.

Hydranockz said:
YEAH! You boycott that digital content. Bungie are gunna be REAL PISSED when people suddenly stop using ARs and AL. Fight the good fight and I am sure in Halo: N+1 (Where N equals the current Halo title available) they will address your concerns.

I'm not picking on just you, but this whole idea that if I show people I can not use an AR, that ought to show 'em, is a really silly one in my very honest opinion.

lol I think he refuses to use it because he finds it boring, not out of some boycott.

I personally find that style of play to be EXTREMELY dull, and I know so many people who were initially put off by Halo because there first few games involved everyone running at eachother spraying the AR lol. Once they find out that the BR is actually good its really a gamechanger.

Gui_PT said:
Hey guys, thanks for saving my spot for the FF achievements in ODST.

I leave for a few days and you completely forget about me. Sheesh.

Hey we have new members! Gui_PT introduce yourself. Ar or BR?

:p

Just completed the weekly in 2 player co-op and it was very, very eazy. The only parts we had difficulty with was the part with the FRG Brute and the 2 turrets.
At the Beachhead part, I grabbed a wraight and my teamate jumped in the gunner and we just wrecked the place.

Hey You

I think its already been said, but I can't wait for Classic CTF, Classic Assault, Classic King and Classic Oddball to be added.

I will play the Classic playlist so much more. I just hope people will actually vote for these gametypes.

Striker

Havok said:
I'd rather see a bunch of awesome original maps than Forge spaces that result in a dozen god-awful Forge maps and maybe two good ones in a given community playlist.
Headlong, Beaver Creek, Colossus, berieve.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Striker said:
qO3QK.gif

O D I N

GhaleonEB said:
Nah, just behind on actually reading the thread.

*goes back and reads*

...what did I miss? Not ignoring you on purpose.

Was just asking if and when you play FF (limited in particular), as I've been on a huge FF kick lately, and was lookin to play some games.

No biggie. It just always seemed like I was skipped over. It's all good. :bro fist?

Top Bottom