• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

senador

Banned
Tunavi said:
It's not the game's fault. Halo is a team based game. I need teammates with mics and teammates I can depend on. 90% of randoms don't use mics. The skill gap is strongly influenced by how well a team works together. Halo isn't a one man army game. You are rewarded for cooperation and I thats why I love it.

So if I get matched up with negativeKD, negativeKD(1), IhavenoMic, and IhavenoMic(1), chances are I'm not going to win or have fun.

If I play with Xenolock, ShadowEmbracer, and | Devolution |, these are players I can depend on and communicate with.
seriously best team evar, can I get a brofist

Tunavi, I agree playing with a team is the way to go and is much more fun, but for some of us that's not always possible. I'm not going to not play because I can't find a team, I want to play Halo still. If I could at least get rounds without guests when I go in on my own it'd be much better.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
If I play with Xenolock, ShadowEmbracer, and | Devolution |, these are players I can depend on and communicate with.
seriously best team evar, can I get a brofist
HK3pF.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
senador said:
Tunavi, I agree playing with a team is the way to go and is much more fun, but for some of us that's not always possible. I'm not going to not play because I can't find a team, I want to play Halo still. If I could at least get rounds without guests when I go in on my own it'd be much better.
Ah I see your point. Yeah, the game needs a mercenaries playlist. No parties, no guests, must have a mic to play.
fdb4adb8580f5f2c76d05722579a96fd5126437b_full.jpg

senador said:

I used to be like this honestly because of my odd schedule and being PST. Added shit tons of halogaf and players I met through halogaf, and haven't looked back at solo play. Just get enough players on your list, and you can find people willing to play. If I play solo, the exact same thing happens to me that you're getting, or worse I get guests/not so good people and I'm forced to play very good/mlg caliber players. At some point I just realized it's not worth playing the game alone if it's going to be a crapfest when I do.

Homeboyd

If I told you guys I've played 95% of Reach's MM since launch solo.. And have enjoyed it most of the time... would you call me bad names?

Something about being impatient...

Homeboyd said:
If I told you guys I've played 95% of Reach's MM since launch solo.. And have enjoyed it most of the time... would you call me bad names?

I don't think we've called anyone bad names who's played solo, only warned people who do that it's not worth it if you keep getting bullshit games.

kylej

Banned
Nerf the DMR zoom and fire rate? What? How often are y'all 5 shot spamming people from across the map? I like being able to actually hit my targets when I zoom in and aim at people.

Tunavi

Banned
Homeboyd said:

If you're having fun playing alone, that's great. I'm not mad at people who play alone. It's just that when people go into MM by themselves and complain about their teammates, they have to realize thats the risk they take by playing alone.

edit:
fuck you plywood. I'm leaving and i'm taking your brother with me

kylej said:
Nerf the DMR zoom and fire rate? What? How often are y'all 5 shot spamming people from across the map? I like being able to actually hit my targets when I zoom in and aim at people.

I used to (and sometimes still do) just run around big team maps with my DMR out just wreckin' shit. It's kind of unfair and stupid when you think about it. People have a hard time dealing with vehicle shenanigans on foot, then they gotta deal with DMRs from across vast distances. It's no doubt one of the reasons big team can be such a chore at times.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I used to be like this honestly because of my odd schedule and being PST. Added shit tons of halogaf and players I met through halogaf, and haven't looked back at solo play. Just get enough players on your list, and you can find people willing to play. If I play solo, the exact same thing happens to me that you're getting, or worse I get guests/not so good people and I'm forced to play very good/mlg caliber players. At some point I just realized it's not worth playing the game alone if it's going to be a crapfest when I do.

Good call. I've got a few from here on my list now, and I'll send out another round of requests soon. Too bad customs don't happen anymore, it seemed like that was a good way for new members to join into the mix in the past.

Tunavi said:
If you're having fun playing alone, that's great. I'm not mad at people who play alone. It's just that when people go into MM by themselves and complain about their teammates, they have to realize thats the risk they take by playing alone.

edit:
fuck you plywood. I'm leaving and i'm taking your brother with me

I get what you are saying, but I don't agree. We should be able to have fun going in alone too, and I can discuss it, just like you can discuss bloom and such.

I'll shut up about Trueskill and guests after this, but if Trueskill were tightened and guest parties were either matched against other guest parties or had their own list, I'd be much happier.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
I used to (and sometimes still do) just run around big team maps with my DMR out just wreckin' shit. It's kind of unfair and stupid when you think about it. People have a hard time dealing with vehicle shenanigans on foot, then they gotta deal with DMRs from across vast distances. It's no doubt one of the reasons big team can be such a chore at times.

You could wreck shit with the dino launcher or Q3A plasma gun in BTB. 5v5 or Objective or whatever it works pretty well imo.

Sai-kun

Banned
this game sucks when you go in by yourself. i literally don't play unless devo or some other friends tell me to get on.

Homeboyd

I wasn't implying you guys were a bunch of jerks... Just wondered if you thought there was something psychologically wrong with me. I think there might be.

Luvujurkz

Recarpo

I actually don't mind going in by myself. There will be games/nights where my teammates will be blind monkeys and can't get kills/do any sort of objective but I already expect that. I've done relatively well overall and in arena going in solo. That being said, going in with a group of people is a lot more fun.

Homeboyd said:
I wasn't implying you guys were a bunch of jerks... Just wondered if you thought there was something psychologically wrong with me. I think there might be.

Luvujurkz

I go in most of the time by myself, too, so you're not the only one. Then again, I think the few people I have on my friends list are friends I know in person and only 1 or 2 of them actually play halo.

Homeboyd said:

Luvujurkz

Well are you a masochist? =p

JB1981 said:
i always play by myself. sometimes i get good games sometimes i get shit. lots of quitters

Yeah is it just me or despite the incentives not to, does Reach have just as many if not more quitters than H3?

Recarpo

Devolution said:
Yeah is it just me or despite the incentives not to, does Reach have just as many if not more quitters than H3?

I've seen more in reach than in h3. I think the losing 1 exp point that you only got with a win was actually a pretty decent deterrent for a lot of people.

Definitely more quitters in Reach. It's a bit of a joke. I have been rolling with full teams but having them a few players down sucks.

Tunavi

Banned
Valve is giving away $1 million to the winner of their DOTA tournament.

And here I am waiting patiently for my Bungie steak...

senador

Banned
Devolution said:

What incentives? :p I see more quitters than 3, unless I remember 3 incorrectly.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Super freaking busy tonight, but I might be down for a round or two around 2 a.m. EST.

That's 12 my time, I'll probably be on.

feel

Tunavi said:
Valve is giving away $1 million to the winner of their DOTA tournament.

And here I am waiting patiently for my Bungie steak...
Winning a major DOTA 2 tournament seems quite more of a feat than beating a Bungie team taking dives to get rid of 12 trucks worth of meat. :lol

edit- nevermind, I think I read that wrong

Hydranockz said:
Yeah, and I can only get 2 hours sleep now. Perhaps more on the 3 hour bus journey to work :p But I am wrecked. Tomorrow for sure.
Okay.

There is a video about the ComicCon online at 343i. MegaBlock give away a cool Halo set with many cool stuff for the first 5000guys at HaloFest. I hope I can snag one.

Hypertrooper said:
Okay.

There is a video about the ComicCon online at 343i. MegaBlock give away a cool Halo set with many cool stuff for the first 5000guys at HaloFest. I hope I can snag one.
Speaking of this, we should make a list of all the cool swag we could get at the event. That way, I know where to run to when the doors open. :^)

Kikarian

Sai-kun said:
this game sucks when you go in by yourself. i literally don't play unless devo or some other friends tell me to get on.
Yup, it's too quiet. The game is so fun though when your with mates. It's so strange how the game flips.

Tunavi

Banned
black ops OT said:
I'm not a MW2 player, but in Black Ops this is my typical routine:

1. Jump into match, already in progress, team is losing 6500-1000
2. Lose. Jump into new match, go 25-5, but lose due to three guys going 5-20 (and they're Prestige 15).
3. Jump into new match, get a Hind, host quits sending everyone to the lobby.
4. Jump into new match, entire team is running around trying to tomahawk everyone. Lose badly.
Yeah I'm glad we have no join in progress feature

\/ meh, the only thing that looked interesting was the boss battle

Tawpgun

Homeboyd said:
Damn

Get this in my Firefight.

One word: Fortifications.
To put it in a Halo formula... kills grant you money for weapon drops. Perhaps AI teammates. Fortifications aren't really Halo. You could buy abilities. Custom power ups. ect.

Homeboyd

A27 Tawpgun said:
To put it in a Halo formula... kills grant you money for weapon drops. Perhaps AI teammates. Fortifications aren't really Halo. You could buy abilities. Custom power ups. ect.
I don't really understand this statement. With this mindset we'll never get to experience anything new. There's a lot of features in Reach that you probably would've said "aren't really Halo" and you still may believe they don't belong... but I'd rather go down this road and try new modes and features, like some and avoid others, than avoiding anything new at all.

343 would of course have to put their own spin on it, but I could definitely see some sort of defense system in Firefight being enjoyed by plenty of Halo players.

Tawpgun

Homeboyd said:
I don't really understand this statement. With this mindset we'll never get to experience anything new. There's a lot of features in Reach that you probably would've said "aren't really Halo" and you still may believe they don't belong... but I'd rather go down this road and try new modes and features, like some and avoid others, than avoiding anything new at all.

343 would of course have to put their own spin on it, but I could definitely see some sort of defense system in Firefight being enjoyed by plenty of Halo players.

The only way to make it work is to put more of a survival emphasis on firefight. Much more so than even ODST did.

Fortifications work with Gears because its like a survival challenge... and the defensive based cover system as well.

Traps? Maybe. But building walls/doors or things... meh.

Just put a Halo spin on it. Weapon Drops. AA's. Equipement. ODST squadron. Vehicle drop. Spartan Ehnancement (speed, shields, damage) Things like this would be amazing.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
I can see that working.

Start out with very basic load outs. Kills/streaks/medals earn cash to buy additional load outs, vehicles and weapon drops between rounds. I don't see things like cover working either.

To repeat something I said a while back, I'd love to see maps pre-populated, so you there's an introductory scenario to fight through at the start of the round. Similar to how Courtyard plays out in campaign.

Homeboyd

A27 Tawpgun said:
The only way to make it work is to put more of a survival emphasis on firefight. Much more so than even ODST did.

Fortifications work with Gears because its like a survival challenge... and the defensive based cover system as well.

Traps? Maybe. But building walls/doors or things... meh.

Just put a Halo spin on it. Weapon Drops. AA's. Equipement. ODST squadron. Vehicle drop. Spartan Ehnancement (speed, shields, damage) Things like this would be amazing.
Yes

Homeboyd said:
Damn

Get this in my Firefight.

One word: Fortifications.

Yeah the new Horde looks very very cool. I hope 343i does some things similar to that assuming that will have Firefight in Halo 4.

EDIT: Dammit I'm not eligible for Waypoint's PAX giveaway! I wish I was going.

Top Bottom