• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
2flag slayer is fun not. Also, Asylum's lack of Sanctuary sight lines really breaks the map when you get players of any sort of decent skill playing on it.
I realized 2 flag slayer is the only gametype in matchmaking that is sprint only with radar on. me likey.

And I'm still undefeated on my new account. 40 wins baby!

Booshka

343 first order of business, remove Lunge from Halo, restore it to its former glory of out-shooting your opponent instead of mashing melee to win battles.

Booshka said:
343 first order of business, remove Lunge from Halo, restore it to its former glory of out-shooting your opponent instead of mashing melee to win battles.
Oh how I long for the days of Halo when shooting people was more effective than just rushing for melee's.

Tunavi said:
I realized 2 flag slayer is the only gametype in matchmaking that is sprint only with radar on. me likey.

And I'm still undefeated on my new account. 40 wins baby!
I saw your post pre-edit.

In all honesty, I have been really "off" recently. So I'm going to place the blame for that on switching back to the standard 360 pad after using the Razer Onza for so long. Still think the Onza is awesome, but mine's got some wonky things going on so I gotta send it back.

Booshka

Steelyuhas said:
Oh how I long for the days of Halo when shooting people was more effective than just rushing for melee's.
Remember how idiotic it was that people would run straight at you not firing in Halo 2 because they knew they could BxR you before you could kill them with bullets? Now with Reach and people sprinting at you for double beat downs. This shit needs to stop.

TrounceX

Barrow Roll said:
So I'm going to place the blame for that on switching back to the standard 360 pad after using the Razer Onza for so long. Still think the Onza is awesome, but mine's got some wonky things going on so I gotta send it back.

That's definitely it. I had to send my Onza in last week and I can't even play Halo with a standard controller anymore. I used the 45 degree calibration as well so I can't even aim right now haha.

Booshka said:
Remember how idiotic it was that people would run straight at you not firing in Halo 2 because they knew they could BxR you before you could kill them with bullets? Now with Reach and people sprinting at you for double beat downs. This shit needs to stop.

For sure. I probably die more from double melees than anything else in this game. 343 should just adapt the MLG style beat downs.

FyreWulff

Booshka said:

Remember how people would just run up to you in Halo 1 and BLB you to death?

Good times.

For those of you playing along at home, Halo 1 had a double melee exploit where you could melee, instantly throw a grenade and cancel that into another melee. And since the fuse time was like 3 hours you didn't even have to worry about escaping them if you used plasmas.

You can still do this in PC/CE.

It was also useful in campaign for punching the Gold Elite to death like a brodude.

Ask your question for the Halo Bulletin
bs angel said:
Serious or silly, long-winded or short, relevant or not, ask your Halo Bulletin questions here!

REMINDER: Last 2 days to submit your spartan for the community collage, hurry up!

reach_20742673_Full.png

TrounceX said:
That's definitely it. I had to send my Onza in last week and I can't even play Halo with a standard controller anymore. I used the 45 degree calibration as well so I can't even aim right now haha.
Well, glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

What was wrong with your Onza? Mine would randomly get slow turn when turning left but it that only happened every once in a while. And sometimes the controller would register down inputs on the left stick when I wasn't even touching it. Like, my character would just start walking backwards slowly for no reason sometimes.

Tunavi said:
It's not the game's fault. Halo is a team based game. I need teammates with mics and teammates I can depend on. 90% of randoms don't use mics. The skill gap is strongly influenced by how well a team works together. Halo isn't a one man army game. You are rewarded for cooperation and I thats why I love it.

So if I get matched up with negativeKD, negativeKD(1), IhavenoMic, and IhavenoMic(1), chances are I'm not going to win or have fun.

If I play with Xenolock, ShadowEmbracer, and | Devolution |, these are players I can depend on and communicate with.
seriously best team evar, can I get a brofist
It's always been a team game, but it's also always been possible to jump into matchmaking solo and enjoy a good chunk of the games played. Not so in Reach. Reach has completely neutered the individual player, unless you're willing to whore yourself out to the power weapons. And if you're playing a good team, chances are that's not even possible. That is what I meant by sad. But I do understand the desire to want to play with good teammates that also have mics. In Reach, 5 shot kills + bloom + armor abilities = without a team you can't expect to consistently do well. You can't even expect to enjoy half of the games you play for that matter. It blows and I REACHed my limit a long time ago. har har.

I mean, it was still all about team work and cooperation in Combat Evolved and Halo2. But there was also still power in lone players that were good. Which makes playing solo, enjoyable, but not overpowered against other teams. Does that make sense? I'm beating a dead pig, I think. I'll stop.
FyreWulff said:
Remember how people would just run up to you in Halo 1 and BLB you to death?

Good times.

For those of you playing along at home, Halo 1 had a double melee exploit where you could melee, instantly throw a grenade and cancel that into another melee. And since the fuse time was like 3 hours you didn't even have to worry about escaping them if you used plasmas.

You can still do this in PC/CE.
OMG no way!
It worked in CE. No sprint and the pistol kept it from being something to rely on, and instead made it really cool to pull off if you found yourself in close enough range and had the awareness to try it. It was fairly easy to miss the second melee. I see little similarity between the double melee in reach and the double melee in CE, personally.
Not sure if you were a fan of the double melee in CE or not. Your post sounded semi-serious and semi-sarcastic at the same time. I loved the exploit (if you want to call it that) and the risk of grenades. Because honestly, how often does one find themselves in close-proximity of another player in a wide open space? More often those encounters happened in hallways and smaller areas where the risk of getting blown up by the thrown grenade was at least a possibility.

I'd love to play some more with you guys but my timezones don't work out most of the time. That said, I'm going to add some more of you for when I stay up a little later.

Got a WIP stargate CTF map going in forge. Anyone intrested in downloading it and giving it a test? if so ill upload it to my fileshare.

Looking for feedback

JMizzlin

So, I'm completely out of the loop, can someone please fill me in on the following?

1) Bungie's last Halo ViDoc release time?
2) Reach TU1 release date, as well as when the changes will be announced?
3) Immediate impact of 343 taking over Reach?

Thanks!

Eye Drop said:
So, I'm completely out of the loop, can someone please fill me in on the following?

1) Bungie's last Halo ViDoc release time?
2) Reach TU1 release date, as well as when the changes will be announced?
3) Immediate impact of 343 taking over Reach?

Thanks!

1: In two days, on 04/08.
2: Somewhere between Halo Anniversery's release date and now, but I think somewhere around September. The changes will be announced on HaloFest which happens from 26 till 28th of august.
3:Not much at the moment. Tomorow is the Halo Bulliten(the weekly update by 343) which will probably detail some upcoming changes.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The only way to make it work is to put more of a survival emphasis on firefight. Much more so than even ODST did.

Fortifications work with Gears because its like a survival challenge... and the defensive based cover system as well.

Traps? Maybe. But building walls/doors or things... meh.

Just put a Halo spin on it. Weapon Drops. AA's. Equipment. ODST squadron. Vehicle drop. Spartan Enhancement (speed, shields, damage) Things like this would be amazing.
This could work really well. Firefight could use another shot in the arm, one that gives the gametype much more of a desperate feeling of survival. There's nothing like that currently, even in the Limited hopper.

Falt

squidhands said:
This could work really well. Firefight could use another shot in the arm, one that gives the gametype much more of a desperate feeling of survival. There's nothing like that currently, even in the Limited hopper.

Bring back the bleep!

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
Just watched tawpgun's machinma entry.

holy shit that was like the end of a really dramatic film.
Well thank you!

MrBig said:
Still waiting to see it...

Plywood said:
He needs to upload that to youtube if he thinks I'm going to let the Halo app on facebook get my info before I even know if it's good.
I can't youtubes it until the contest is over. Get a facebook if you don't already have one, watch it there, and vote for me :)

Why are you scared about the Halo app getting your info? If its a matter of you don't want to see it pop up on everyones feed just remove the message if it even gives you one. Simple. Then remove the app.

Tunavi said:
These other entries are absolutely embarrassing. Horrible acting, horrible quality, horrible scripts. yuck. Which one has the most votes?
Most of the entries either didn't follow the criteria or didn't bother with the Anniversary theme.

Last I checked the "Drink Driving" one was higher up than me. But they used a Limp Bizkit song and I'm pretty sure they didn't license it so they're pretty much DQ'd.
The other is Rockwell by Ty Cocker. It's well made but doesn't fit the theme of Halo Universe and Anniversary well at all. Not to mention we found out their offering incentives, allbeit small ones, for people to vote. And we also found out they're videos get featured on Machinima. And you can't be an affiliate of Machinima.com for this competition. Not sure of being a director on Machinima means affiliate though.

So besides those 2 I THINK I'm in the lead followed closely by Kevin Delgado and my bros from Firelight.

Once again, if you haven't voted I'd appreciate the votes.
http://apps.facebook.com/halofest/contest/view/machinima/4e362c7095008e5d7800f2b4
The other good thing is voting is only 10% of the criteria. The other 90 is split evenly between creativity/originality, Depiction of Halo Universe, 10th Anniversary Theme.

Judges decide the winner but the judges are also Rooster Teeth and I hope they can appreciate a more serious take on this competition. I trust them though.

I believe you can vote once per day, but I'm not sure why it hasn't opened up the options for me again. So if you haven't voted yet I'd appreciate it.

Ken

squidhands said:
Make not just lives limited, but also ammunition. No Target Locator with respawning ammo. Reduce the number of weapon drops, and have them drop in the middle of a wave. Make weapon drop pods destroyable to force players to either stay in cover, or rush for power weapons. Add bonuses like increased ammo in the next weapon racks spawn for fulfilling in game challenges like completing a round under a certain time. Making weapon drops be something that must be worked for would be cool too as it'd take away the expectations that you'll have power weapons next round.

Last time I played FF Limited, games were mostly just everyone individually sniping enemies with the DMR, blow up the occasional vehicle, run to ammo crates, and return to the same sniping spot for the majority of the time. Forcing players to be frugal with their ammo, spam less, resort to Covenant weapons, and stick together (gasp) is something ODST did well unlike Reach.

Ken said:
Make not just lives limited, but also ammunition. No Target Locator with respawning ammo. Reduce the number of weapon drops, and have them drop in the middle of a wave. Make weapon drop pods destroyable to force players to either stay in cover, or rush for power weapons. Add bonuses like increased ammo in the next weapon racks spawn for fulfilling in game challenges like completing a round under a certain time. Making weapon drops be something that must be worked for would be cool too as it'd take away the expectations that you'll have power weapons next round.

Last time I played FF Limited, games were mostly just everyone individually sniping enemies with the DMR, blow up the occasional vehicle, run to ammo crates, and return to the same sniping spot for the majority of the time. Forcing players to be frugal with their ammo, spam less, resort to Covenant weapons, and stick together (gasp) is something ODST did well unlike Reach.
Absolutely. The never-ending ammo supply crates need to go in their respective gametypes, or at the very least make them a reward for making it to the next round (without a death, lol). It's kind of a shame that there are so many different ways to configure FF, but so far none of them have been able to come close to the feeling that ODST gave. I tried playing some ODST recently; the red tinge and the incessant beeping made me pull the disc out in a rage. Worst Halo UI ever. I want to know whose decision that was so I can openly mock him/her/them.

Homeboyd

Sad to see Optimatch go. Hoping 343 will pick up an equivalent at the Waypoint forums. Speaking of those.. I know we're still in the Beta phase of the forums, but have we heard any status report on when they will be fully operational or have we heard anything about what they plan on doing in terms of functionality? Private groups...?

Good luck 343, I do not envy you with the task that has been handed to you. Im sure you guys will have fun with it though. Jeremiah's probably cracking open a cold one right about now.

squidhands said:
Absolutely. The never-ending ammo supply crates need to go in their respective gametypes, or at the very least make them a reward for making it to the next round (without a death, lol). It's kind of a shame that there are so many different ways to configure FF, but so far none of them have been able to come close to the feeling that ODST gave. I tried playing some ODST recently; the red tinge and the incessant beeping made me pull the disc out in a rage. Worst Halo UI ever. I want to know whose decision that was so I can openly mock him/her/them.

In terms of rewards, I'd love to see the type of system Gears 3 is offering with Horde mode. We have custom power ups in power slayer... why not allow you to pick these up in the same way? Certain kills will grant you certain power ups. I know Reach's FF runs on completely separate code than FF, but it's a thought for the future. I'd like to see an even more complex system put in place. (i.e. Earn 20 headshots in a wave = Get a Sniper Rifle weapon drop, etc..)

Homeboyd said:
In terms of rewards, I'd love to see the type of system Gears 3 is offering with Horde mode. We have custom power ups in power slayer... why not allow you to pick these up in the same way? Certain kills will grant you certain power ups. I know Reach's FF runs on completely separate code than FF, but it's a thought for the future. I'd like to see an even more complex system put in place. (i.e. Earn 20 headshots in a wave = Get a Sniper Rifle weapon drop, etc..)
It would have been a wonderful addition to have AA's as part of weapon drops rather than something you have to kill yourself to change in a loadout (or be able to scavenge the dead for their Armor Abilities like I mentioned before). I like your idea of the Power Slayer style trait increases and would be very cool to try out.

cory021

Neo Member
Ken said:

I would really love to see limited ammunition. Instead of the unlimited ammo crate, put in a crate with Magnums, ARs, and DMRs, and maybe even a Shotgun. There will be enough ammo to last about 1 round, and it doesn't refill at each round.

Here's the twist, every 2-3 waves, a Invasion Slayer territory will spawn out behind Covenant forces with a 2 minute timer. Players have to get into the territory and hold it for 20 seconds. If they do, their ammo crate is resupplied.

It's probably not possible, but it would be a really nice change of pace for Firefight.

PooBone

Adios Bungie, you made my favorite game of all time and followed it with 4 very good sequels. Thanks for everything. I hope your next game isn't an MMO. Now I'm anxious for 343 to take over.

PooBone said:
Adios Bungie, you made my favorite game of all time and followed it with 4 very good sequels. Thanks for everything. I hope your next game isn't an MMO. Now I'm anxious for 343 to take over.
Found the A Song of Ice & Fire game rumours quite funny. I look forward to whatever Destiny is, MMO, Persistent World, whatever.
All the hints or references have ticked my cockrells.

TimeLike

cory021 said:
I would really love to see limited ammunition. Instead of the unlimited ammo crate, put in a crate with Magnums, ARs, and DMRs, and maybe even a Shotgun. There will be enough ammo to last about 1 round, and it doesn't refill at each round.

Here's the twist, every 2-3 waves, a Invasion Slayer territory will spawn out behind Covenant forces with a 2 minute timer. Players have to get into the territory and hold it for 20 seconds. If they do, their ammo crate is resupplied.

It's probably not possible, but it would be a really nice change of pace for Firefight.
Sounds like campaign.

Steelyuhas said:
Well it was non existent in H3 as any skilled player could out Br the melee noob.

neoism

Homeboyd said:
If I told you guys I've played 95% of Reach's MM since launch solo.. And have enjoyed it most of the time... would you call me bad names?

Something about being impatient...
yeah I play a lot solo too... I do better most of the time, mainly because most halo gaffers are waay better than me so I usually do worse when I play with them. Still a lot more funnier playing with them though.

Top Bottom