• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tunavi said:
Well I'm at work so I can't watch this video, but apparently in this video, Frankie confirms Timberlands as a CEA map. Can someone watch it for me?
He says there are maps from Halo 1, Halo PC, and "maybe" Halo 2.

Doesn't specifically mention Timberland though :\

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, that could go either way.

I'm just excited that we're getting a new Firefight map, and that they're going so far as to add a new element(s) to it. I assume the newness is isolated to the new FF map.

Halofest is three weeks away. Actually getting close now. Has anyone gotten their PAX pass in the mail yet?

Confirmed in the text article here.
One from Halo 2 hey? I wonder what it is...

Kibbles

Dax01 said:
Maybe one. What could they mean by that?
Hopefully that doesn't mean it's a remake from Halo 1 that's in Halo 2 that could 'maybe' count as a Halo 2 map. Such as Beaver Creek.

Tunavi

Banned
Alright so confirmed maps are
1 Damnation
2 Beaver Creek
3 Hang Em High
4 Timberlands
5 Firefight map
6 Halo 2 map
7 ?

"But right now we're pretty confident that everything we're shooting for is going to make it into the title update. We'll give that list out and sort of talk through it at Halo Fest on August 26." Fuck yes.

"We're putting new Forge build pieces in the (CEA) maps"

"More importantly," he added, "we're working on a title update for Reach and obviously for this that'll allow us to add some of the classic functionality and gameplay from the original multiplayer component [in Combat Evolved]. In some ways taken backwards, taken back to the sort of simpler... more elegant Halo experience."

yeah this just screams no bloom/armor abilities. :)

Firefight map is set on Installation 4.

Dax01 said:
Maybe one. What could they mean by that?
Frank can be pretty clever with his words, ambiguity is king in the realm of these interviews - you don't want to spoil a future reveal.

The way I see it, "maybe one from Halo 2" can mean:

- Of the maps shown already, you can maybe say that one is from Halo 2. (As in, Beaver Creek or Battle Creek, depending on how you want to look at it.)
OR
- Of the two multiplayer maps remaining to be shown, one or both of them could maybe come from Halo 2.

I really wouldn't read too much into it. At this point I'm fairly positive one of the two maps remaining is from Halo 2 and I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were.

Tunavi said:
Alright so confirmed maps are
1 Damnation
2 Beaver Creek Battle Creek with ramps. :p
3 Hang Em High
4 Timberlands
5 Firefight map (from CE campaign space)
6 ??? (Probably a Halo 2 map)
7 ??? (Possibly a Halo 2 map, but could also be from Halo 1 or PC)
Fixed

A little OT... But does anyone here know a way that I could get a Saturday pass for PAX?

I've checked Craigslist and asked around, but cannot find anything.

<3

Kuroyume

Banned
A guass or chain hog would not be a good idea for Firefight. It would make it too easy. Just keep the Rocket Hog on there and maybe add a few ghosts.

Speaking of FireFight... What's the best way to get a game on Unearthed? I still need to check that map out and I don't want to play like 15 other maps before I get it.

Kuroyume said:
A guass or chain hog would not be a good idea for Firefight. It would make it too easy. Just keep the Rocket Hog on there and maybe add a few ghosts.

Speaking of FireFight... What's the best way to get a game on Unearthed? I still need to check that map out and I don't want to play like 15 other maps before I get it.

Just go in score attack, you'll nearly always get Unearthed as the first map.

Striker

Chain-gun would be fine. A gauss would make no sense.

If you and your party has Defiant, most often Unearthed is the first to appear.

Hypertrooper said:
I wished we would get a Postmortem panel with Bungie folks at HaloFest. Would be nice to see some footage of the "Guardian campagne level" etc. Sketches of cut scenes, that were cut of the game. And so on. But you can not have it all.

Btw. going to see Super8 finally today! Argh! Yeah! It arrived in Germany woot!
I remember urk saying there would be a Postmorten about things which didn't make the cut in Halo Reach, one of them being the maximum players increase. Invasion was originally 9 vs 9 :/

OT: I'll watch Captain America today, are my 10 euro worth it?

Hmm. What if the new Firefight element is the scale of the map? As in, the new map is a very very large chunk of level from the CE campaign?

I'm not sure how it would work, I was just thinking about how interesting the new map will be, a section of Halo CE that we actually get to play with the Reach engine...

It would be pretty neat if the Firefight map was just the level Halo or the Silent Cartographer island rebuilt for use with Reach gameplay.

Eh, it's crazy and not going to happen. I'm just brainstorming here.
---
Hm, what if the new Firefight map uses the Classic gameplay? I think it's safe to assume the Title Update's classic gameplay options won't affect Reach's Firefight at all. Maybe this new map is made to be played with the Halo 1 sandbox and gameplay style?

MrBig

Account Attempt #4 said:
I haven't played Timberlands, is it a BTB map? I hope one map in the bunch is suitable for BTB...
It's big enough for BTB. Semi-symmetrical with a lot of rolling hills and trees.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Headlong wantsobad.
yes yes yes yes

Anyone want to join me and juices for a Halo 3 playthrough?

Karl2177

Personally I think the three-way mission split on Halo in Halo 1 is an awesome section. For further clarification the part where you can choose to go the rockslide, the head of the river, or near the cliff. It's too bad that it is so expansive, that it wouldn't work for a FF map. I'd like all of those sections for FF.

Unless the thing that they've never done with Firefight is having something similar to Forge World, but that seems super unlikely. It would be neat to have a "Halo" map in FF, and then select the map option like Rockslide, River Head, or Cliff. *dreams*

MrBig said:
It's big enough for BTB. Semi-symmetrical with a lot of rolling hills and trees.

yes yes yes yes

Anyone want to join me and juices for a Halo 3 playthrough?
I'll join you two for Halo 3 multiplayer sometime

Sai-kun

Banned
thezerofire said:
Can the last map please be Prisoner?

Please?

what needs to happen is that it needs to be chiron, and then frankie is like "well we wanted to do headlong or terminal but some of us really liked chiron so we went with that instead"

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
I hope the two unknown maps are Midship and Prisoner.

Or Lockout and Prisoner and save Midship for Halo 4.
It can't be midship or lockout, they were already denied since they said they won't do maps already on 360. Game has enough 4v4, while the BTB maps are shit. There is not a single good BTB map really. So it better be headlong or waterworks or containment or any of those good BTB maps from H2

MrBig said:
It can't be midship or lockout, they were already denied since they said they won't do maps already on 360. Game has enough 4v4, while the BTB maps are shit. There is not a single good BTB map really. So it better be headlong or waterworks or containment or any of those good BTB maps from H2
There are a lot of 4v4 maps, but I would say that most of them are shit as well.

teamaxe

I see people every now and again ask for help with the Recon/ODST achievements. Is there still a group of you guys that would be interested in doing pretty much all of the co-op related ones?

Sai-kun said:
what needs to happen is that it needs to be chiron, and then frankie is like "well we wanted to do headlong or terminal but some of us really liked chiron so we went with that instead"

Waypoint posts a video - Living Dead gameplay on a Chiron remake.

A minute into the video a wall gets deleted, showing that it's just a crude Forge remake on a Headlong canvas.

Video then shows 1-flag gameplay on Headlong, with the last few seconds a quick glance at Forge remakes of a couple Halo 1 and 2 maps using the new Human-themed Forge pieces.

God, that would be amazing.

Just to keep my expectations in check, the video then shows FOUR-PLAYER SCARAB DRIVING BATTLES THAT SEAMLESSLY TRANSITION INTO SABER-BASED SPACE COMBAT WITH A FULL LEVEL EDITOR FOR PC.

Striker

MrBig said:
I find Highlands and Hemorrhage to be fine, but both have issues that pertain to the surrounding: Highlands with overly abundance of power weapons, Hemorrhage with the long ranged DMR (go to 2x)

But what's the point of getting a CEA BTB map if we can't get it in MM under 8v8 rules? That's what miffs me about Highlands and the Premium playlists. At least after their title update hits they can enforce DLC on some playlists.

teamaxe said:
I see people every now and again ask for help with the Recon/ODST achievements. Is there still a group of you guys that would be interested in doing pretty much all of the co-op related ones?
I still need them but I don't really have a lot of time to play nowadays. And it tends to be late at night PST.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
You guys say Headlong, I say Turf. Love that map.
I loved them both, how they were designed to work well for certain game types. Three Plots on Terf was amazing, and 1-Bomb and 1-Flag on Headlong likewise. Headlong and Waterworks....mmmmmm.

From a game just now - Elite Ultras know how to roll.

reach_21967380_Full.jpg

reach_21967379_Full.jpg

Hitmonchan107 said:
You guys say Headlong, I say Turf. Love that map.
I would love an Earth themed map pack to be released for CEA and Reach.

Turf
Headlong
Zanzibar
Foundation
The Pit
Terminal
District

Such good maps.

FyreWulff

One of the multiplayer maps will be Silent Cartographer.

And the building on one side will be a huge forge object, so you can recreate the Pizza Cutter being above the map for your Burial Mounds remake!

Awesome Barlow said:
I would love an Earth themed map pack to be released for CEA and Reach.

Turf
Headlong
Zanzibar
Foundation
The Pit
Terminal
District

Such good maps.

I don't think that is realistic to expect lol...

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm 34. Weird to think of being on GAF for over a decade, but that's the case.

The way you talk about your age sometimes I expected you to be in your 40s. This is not old at all IMO. Added you, and average stayed at 24. ;)

I wish I knew about GAF years ago. What was it like then? I was thinking it was smaller but perhaps people have always come and gone? Was HaloGAF small?

Just need Wu to come and pull the average way up. ;) <3 Wu.

senador said:
The way you talk about your age sometimes I expected you to be in your 40s. This is not old at all IMO. Added you, and average stayed at 24. ;)

I wish I knew about GAF years ago. What was it like then? I was thinking it was smaller but perhaps people have always come and gone? Was HaloGAF small?
I wish I knew too. I wouldn't have had the wasteland of not having anyone to play games with.

feel

added the age related questions to the current newb survey, someone else please copy and paste it to a notepad file too for when the new fish arrive

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?

What country are you posting from and what's your current age.

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?

What's your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you're not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

AR or BR?

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).

Least hated Reach mp map.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Games completed on solo Legendary.

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.

Favorite Reach playlists.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

Opinion on reticule bloom.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.

Why are you a Halo fan?

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)

Ramirez

Got around to watching the Vidoc, it was entertaining. The nostalgia trips I was getting watching the CE/2 bits were great. No idea why they were all so down on Halo 2, I get that they had to cut the campaign short, but the MP was hands down the best in the series, glitches/exploits/etc. aside. Felt kind of ill when all of them were proclaiming Reach as their proudest moment, errr ok, I guess.

Interested in their next project since it seems Jones is in the thick of it, CE/2 are amazing compared to 3/Reach, and I believe he had way more to do with both of those games than the past two, so it gives me some hope for their next title. I just hope it isn't a traditional MMO, that's like an immediate pass for me.

Ramirez said:
Interested in their next project since it seems Jones is in the thick of it, CE/2 are amazing compared to 3/Reach, and I believe he had way more to do with both of those games than the past two, so it gives me some hope for their next title. I just hope it isn't a traditional MMO, that's like an immediate pass for me.

I agree with this. I simply find MMOs to be a bunch of people grinding to attain a certain rank or to get an item. Additionally, I do not have the time to invest into such a game.

Top Bottom