• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

BigShow36 said:
Halo 3 feeling sloppy has little to do with bleedthrough, its just a messy game in general.
Perhaps, but you can't deny that in comparison, Reach makes players play more deliberately, and I think that's a good thing. In Halo 3, I might fire at a players neck/head because I never know when his shield might drop. It could drop in the middle of a 3-round burst. In Reach, I'm going to aim for center mass until I pop, then I'm going to aim for the head. That's a fun mechanic.

CyReN said:

Raleigh Convention Center

500 South Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Hrm. I were still in Cary I'd actually go and root for you guys. But I'm in Wilmington now, and I don't feel like driving for two and a half hours.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Nooooo scope remains the same.
3x is ridiculous. If you cross-map scoped, get the first shot, the other player is literally a sitting duck, especially without bloom. Never liked that.

HiredN00bs said:
Perhaps, but you can't deny that in comparison, Reach makes players play more deliberately, and I think that's a good thing. In Halo 3, I might fire at a players neck/head because I never know when his shield might drop. It could drop in the middle of a 3-round burst. In Reach, I'm going to aim for center mass until I pop, then I'm going to aim for the head. That's a fun mechanic.
It's not that hard. 3 bursts and their shields are down. If it's in the middle of the burst, you hit them with the next burst

Shake Appeal said:
Actually, I don't know why I'm complaining about a bloomless DMR. I will do better with one.

fsMjv.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
3x is ridiculous. If you cross-map scoped, get the first shot, the other player is literally a sitting duck, especially without bloom. Never liked that.
Stop running in the open. Get into cover. Armor lock. Sprint away. Evade away. Drop Camo. Shoot out a hologram. Stop running in the open. Design maps that don't spawn you in the open. Don't gimp the gun pleeeeeaaaseeeee.

Tashi0106 said:
Stop running in the open. Get into cover. Armor lock. Sprint away. Evade away. Drop Camo. Shoot out a hologram. Stop running in the open. Design maps that don't spawn you in the open. Don't gimp the gun pleeeeeaaaseeeee.

2x scope would hardly gimp the gun.

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
you just listed everything I hated about reach to counter something else I hate about reach. This is how bungie actually thinks.

If you guys get lost in Raleigh call me
and I won't answer because I'll be busy being lost in Seattle.

I recommend Chargrill for late night burgers and The Flying Saucer for booze.

Dax01 said:
The hell? And you didn't contact me? For shame, Shake.

Hey Dax, I'm going to be in Raleigh this weekend. Are you 21 yet? Hurry up.

Tashi0106 said:
in other words, don't play BTB lol

Tashi

thezerofire said:
in other words, don't play BTB lol
Your words not mine. ;]

What I'm saying is blame Bungie for not making maps work around the guns they created, not for making the best rifle in the series.

Tashi0106 said:
Your words not mine. ;]

What I'm saying is blame Bungie for not making maps work around the guns they created, not for making the best rifle in the series.
True enough, but I think a 2x scope is a decent compromise. I think that's something that helps balance but doesn't offset the usefulness of the DMR by that much.

ncsuDuncan said:
Hey Dax, I'm going to be in Raleigh this weekend. Are you 21 yet? Hurry up.
I won't be 21 for a loooooooong time.
Shake Appeal said:
My girlfriend lives there. I'm probably going to move there in the next couple years, if we end up getting married.
Is your girlfriend from the States? Well, next time you're there, hit me up and I'll see if I'm around there too. :)

Tashi

thezerofire said:
True enough, but I think a 2x scope is a decent compromise. I think that's something that helps balance but doesn't offset the usefulness of the DMR by that much.
I disagree

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
Your words not mine. ;]

That's what made the BR in Halo 2 so wonderful. Sure it was the best precision rifle in the series, but it was fantastic in both 4v4 and 8v8 because it hit a wall in range so it didn't become overpowered in large based maps.

Keeping a DMR 3x but removing bloom and of course keeping in mind hitscan, it's just becoming the Halo 2 BR with sniper like range and accuracy.

Tashi

Striker said:
That's what made the BR in Halo 2 so wonderful. Sure it was the best precision rifle in the series, but it was fantastic in both 4v4 and 8v8 because it hit a wall in range so it didn't become overpowered in large based maps.

Keeping a DMR 3x but removing bloom and of course keeping in mind hitscan, it's just becoming the Halo 2 BR with sniper like range and accuracy.
The BR's range in H2 was way too short. Maybe it would be better with todays netcode and faster internet but back then barely registered across Midship.

Hypertrooper said:
Right now at this moment, I'm completely the opposite of hyped for the HaloFest. HaloGAF hype me. Maybe the reason is pure envy.

Maybe the people that do go can post a couple grainy photos that dont do the game justice.

jokes

neoism

StalkerUKCG said:
What is this?
All I know is I really hope they don't mess with inertia in Reach and 4.. I really hope its in 4. It just adds realism and its so well done in REACH. Does anyone know who did the first person cam in this game. The weapon sway, head bob and all of that is just amazing. So thanks you to whomever did that in Reach. <3

Also Melee bleed-through? doesn't that just make it easier to melee? I love the melee in Reach

ElRenoRaven

Striker said:

Exactly. That's where the problem is. It's the range. When you can sit on opposite sides of a map and never have to move around the map other then to get more ammo then something is wrong. That's my opinion though and I know I'm in the minority here on that.

Keep in mind the sniper rifle is excluded in my point because that's what that weapon is designed for.

With that said time to go swimming.

neoism said:
All I know is I really hope they don't mess with inertia in Reach and 4.. I really hope its in 4. It just adds realism and its so well done in REACH. Does anyone know who did the first person cam in this game. The weapon sway, head bob and all of that is just amazing. So thanks you to whomever did that in Reach. <3

Also Melee bleed-through? doesn't that just make it easier to melee? I love the melee in Reach
I think it's more realistic that a super soldier can move however he/she damn well pleases. I do agree with the weapon sway though, it's pretty awesome.

And for the melee, it makes it easier to melee at the right range, but makes it more fair for the person doing the most damage

neoism said:

It takes out the double melee from reach. One guy has 4 shots in him the other has full health. If they both melee each other they are both just down to no shield and one melee from death even though one had more shield than the other to begin with. Bleed through will cause damage to health in the first guy and maybe just pop the other guy's shield.

edit: reward for shooting first and not just sprinting through bullets to get to melee the guy shooting you for the same effect.

neoism

Tunavi said:
Sprint to double melee is one of the worst things about Reach. So glad to see bleed-though back. That way when I put 3 shots in a guy trying to double melee rush me, I can just take him out with a finishing melee.
lol I was thinking the same thing... That's great then.
Tunavi said:
I've been triple meleed in MLG before. lol I Fucking raged.
WTF three melee's... that is ridiculous. :/

Risen

thezerofire said:

I'm just unsure why people think cross mapping is a bad thing... what I see is that only people with sufficient skill are going to be able to land the shots, people who are not as good will get killed by it by not knowing how, or being able to respond.

Say you do drop to a 2x... now you have to get closer to engage effectively for most people correct?

You just shrunk the playable surface of the map and slowed the game down. BTB is already slow enough.

3x zoom increases the playable area of a map and means people can't move without intention and must always be ready to engage. It speeds up game play which I see as a good thing.

Someone help me with the why being able to kill someone with the DMR at long ranges is bad, if everyone has the same gun in their hand?

Risen said:
I'm just unsure why people think cross mapping is a bad thing... what I see is that only people with sufficient skill are going to be able to land the shots, people who are not as good will get killed by it by not knowing how, or being able to respond.

Say you do drop to a 2x... now you have to get closer to engage effectively for most people correct?

You just shrunk the playable surface of the map and slowed the game down. BTB is already slow enough.

3x zoom increases the playable area of a map and means people can't move without intention and must always be ready to engage. It speeds up game play which I see as a good thing.

Someone help me with the why being able to kill someone with the DMR at long ranges is bad, if everyone has the same gun in their hand?
Have you played Classic Rifles on Hang Em High? You can't get to the middle of the map at all, which is where OS and Sniper are. The game devolves into people standing on the sides of the map pot-shotting each other, and it isn't very fun. If you can't hit people at that range, you have to move around the map, making for a more dynamic game.

Tashi0106 said:
Why can't I go running out on a bridge in the wide open safely?
Are you intentionally missing the point? Did you play Hang Em High in Halo CE? There was a risk/reward to going for sniper. Risk: you get shot down. Reward: you get sniper. With the 3x DMR you can't even get onto the bridges without getting killed. There is no reward, just risk. You can barely make it off your spawn, and you can't get kills from that range since it takes so long to get a kill. I don't see what the problem is here.

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
While I don't like the principal behind gating damage from the DMR and melee, I did like the way it made the game more clear. I don't think going back to the way it was is the best solution. Part of what makes Halo for me is how clean the design is, and reading game play is paramount to that design. Look at how much emphasis they put on popping the shields in Reach, the loud "clang", the shields visually expanding and popping, all of that work is diminished with the re-introduction of bleed-through.

Can you? I never bothered to learn the damage and health figures because it wasn't necessary with the way Reach reads.

I felt Halo 3's visual indicators were absolutely perfect. If a guy's shields were illuminated, you knew that one headshot or a beatdown would kill him. Halo 2 had problems with melees not killing because some of the BXB's wouldn't register, I really felt Halo 3 had a brilliant melee/shield mechanic after the first TU. There were a bunch of traded kills, but I would like it to be kept to just melees instead of everything in the game if I had to choose between 3 & Reach.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Halo 1 had 3-hit and H2 was variable.
That's right, the Brute Shot had a stronger melee, and jumping head melees did more damage.

I preferred Halo 3's melee system of all the ones we've seen, while Reach has the worst. Will be interesting to see what gets selected as 'classic'.

Tashi0106 said:
Why can't I go running out on a bridge in the wide open safely?
I don't think you really get just how much additional range the DMR has over the pistol. It's got 2x the range, comfortably. That really changs how maps play.

Risen

thezerofire said:
Have you played Classic Rifles on Hang Em High? You can't get to the middle of the map at all, which is where OS and Sniper are. The game devolves into people standing on the sides of the map pot-shotting each other, and it isn't very fun. If you can't hit people at that range, you have to move around the map, making for a more dynamic game.

Weren't we talking BTB and very large maps? Take your logic to extremes and we play team shotties every game.

Your example is a teamwork issue combined with a map issue, not a weapon issue. The 2x isn't helping you get out in the wide open to nab OS and Snipe, nor will it force you to move on that map particularly with a lead.

thezerofire said:
Are you intentionally missing the point? Did you play Hang Em High in Halo CE? There was a risk/reward to going for sniper. Risk: you get shot down. Reward: you get sniper. With the 3x DMR you can't even get onto the bridges without getting killed. There is no reward, just risk. You can barely make it off your spawn, and you can't get kills from that range since it takes so long to get a kill. I don't see what the problem is here.

The map played the same with the pistol in the hands of good players... and again with a BR in the remake... it is the same now with a DMR/needle rifle.

Tashi

thezerofire said:
Do you think it's fair to assume a Halo 1 map plays the same in Halo Reach?

Risen said:
Weren't we talking BTB and very large maps? Take your logic to extremes and we play team shotties every game.

Your example is a teamwork issue combined with a map issue, not a weapon issue. The 2x isn't helping you get out in the wide open to nab OS and Snipe, nor will it force you to move on that map particularly with a lead.
It worked well enough in Halo CE and 2, both had 2x

Tashi0106 said:
Do you think it's fair to assume a Halo 1 map plays the same in Halo Reach?
I was under the impression that's why it was called Team Classic

Top Bottom