• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Havok

BackdoorBeauty said:
Yeah, I was in the middle of revising my statement.. quoted for posterity I suppose. Just shooting from the hip here, so to speak.
Understood. I guess my issue stems from a few things - I wouldn't consider Longshore to be a BTB map in the first place, even though it was for some reason included. I also wouldn't consider Boneyard or Spire to be BTB maps, because it is painfully obvious they were designed for Invasion, the idea that put a bullet in the beginning-to-feel-wounded animal that was Big Team. But at this point, even if there was some massive shift in priorities, there is almost nothing that can be done with Reach's BTB at this point, because Mt. Lam Lam sure as hell wasn't the solution. It's such an incredible shame because with a bunch of people in a party Big Team can still be fun, but it's fun that shines through a thick layer of awful maps and strange decisions.

Also, Last Resort is an abortion and I would like to see it stricken from the record.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
ncsuDuncan said:
Really the only tournament I can fit in would be the CTF one on Sunday. One of the panels ends at 1:30 and the tourney is supposed to start at 1:30...

Not sure if this helps, but the tournament space is right next to the internal Halo Fest panel area

Like 50 feet away.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lazslo said:
Edit: Beaten- but: Who is 343 Studio's

Shit, the Executive Producer is a nice lady by the name of 'Kiki Wolfekill'- Halo 4 will be incredible, It can't be anything less with a lady of that name at the helm. Please have her on the Sparkcast sometime!

No her voice is super nasal and annoying.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I think the Gearbox panel starts sometime around then. Hmmmmm.

Halo: Anniversary Multiplayer 12:45-1:30 <- Absolutely MUST attend.
4v4 CTF Tournament 1:30-3:00
Gearbox Panel 3:00-4:00

Snap, you're right. There's no way I could win the CTF tournament and make it to the Gearbox panel. Freakin lines.

Between free pizza, Borderlands 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines I don't think I can pass up on Gearbox's offerings.

Edit:

lybertyboy said:
Not sure if this helps, but the tournament space is right next to the internal Halo Fest panel area

Like 50 feet away.

Hmm, maybe I can pull it off. I'll just have to win the tournament quickly. No objective holding.

Havok said:
Understood. I guess my issue stems from a few things - I wouldn't consider Longshore to be a BTB map in the first place, even though it was for some reason included. I also wouldn't consider Boneyard or Spire to be BTB maps, because it is painfully obvious they were designed for Invasion, the idea that put a bullet in the beginning-to-feel-wounded animal that was Big Team. To conclude, there is almost nothing that can be done with Reach's BTB at this point, because Mt. Lam Lam sure as hell wasn't the solution. It's such an incredible shame because with a bunch of people in a party Big Team can still be fun, but it's fun that shines through a thick layer of awful maps and strange decisions.

Also, Last Resort is an abortion and I would like to see it stricken from the record.

I cannot agree more. I hope CEA has two great big team maps to kick me in the pants.

I used to play with full parties, and the best stuff was getting matched up with other coordinated teams of 8. Avalanche CTF and Standoff CTF were some of the most tense games I would ever get outside of MLG.

Rtas

xxjuicesxx said:
I have a question. Why can Bungie not produce a game where vehicles don't sometimes randomly just fly off the fucking map?

Every other game company can?

This is a problem I have never encountered in any halo game, I've seen videos and heard people talk about it, but its just one of those glitches which has never once occurred for me. Surely it can't happen that often to be a true annoyance?

ncsuDuncan said:
Halo: Anniversary Multiplayer 12:45-1:30 <- Absolutely MUST attend.
4v4 CTF Tournament 1:30-3:00
Gearbox Panel 3:00-4:00

Snap, you're right. There's no way I could win the CTF tournament and make it to the Gearbox panel. Freakin lines.

Between free pizza, Borderlands 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines I don't think I can pass up on Gearbox's offerings.

Edit:

Hmm, maybe I can pull it off. I'll just have to win the tournament quickly. No objective holding.

Oh snap. I don't know if I scheduled myself for the multiplayer panel. LMAO. *added to the list*

And I definitely need a group to hang out with for the Gearbox panel. Love me some Randy Pitchford.
If only he was that cool.

Plywood said:
Sleep is for people who aren't Batman.
Crazyeyes.gif

heckfu

Banned
Playing through Halo 2 again tonight and tomorrow and I've gotta say...H2 has the best music of the franchise thus far. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Criticisms? Sandwiches?

PNut

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I miss rocket race. That shit was a blast in H3 :/

Send me a FR. Still play it on Mondays, Weds., and Sundays. There's at least one full party running from 8pm EST- 2am EST on each of these nights. Stay on your Goose, don't shoot shoot while you're off it, and you'll have a blast.

thezerofire said:
finally got Team BR's. on Boundless lol

and we got fucking destroyed. How in the shit are the randoms in this game somehow worse than those in Reach?

Always looking for Halo 3 teammates. I'll send you an invite. Randoms are bad in every Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yo Juices, you figure out a way to capture in HD where entire length matches don't take up 8gbs? Lol. It's pretty insane.

Dani said:
Valhalla and Sandtrap.

=/
I really hope not :(
Devolution said:
What's wrong with valhalla compared to Reach big team maps.
I was never a big fan of Valhalla. It's not a bad map. But there are so many BTB maps from Halo2 that would be awesome to play on again. Valhalla, or maybe i should say halo3 doesn't feel old enough to justify bringing them back already. Valhalla also looks a lot like the current Forge world setting, but I guess they could change the look too. i would love to have Colossus and Headlong. I wet my pants just thinking about the two maps.
Tashi0106 said:
It looks like he assumed you were standing below the platform and in the other direction. You were one shot away from dying, so standing against the wall in plain view was probably unexpected. That's what I would have thought anyway if I had seen you drop the flag after dropping down.

senador

Banned
Quit my jerb today. It was building up to me leaving for a long time so I made it happen finally. It feels extremely good. Going to be jobless for a bit and reset my life. I'll do some contract work then find a job later.

Anyway, I played tonight with a party of 3 then 5 in Squad. Guess what we got? The other side of my guest complaints. I think it was 3 or 4 times against 4 people on a TV plus a random. Some of the time that 5th guy quit out, and I can't blame him. So lame. Especially one round that ended 75 to 2. I'll try to stop bringing this all the time now, its just such an annoying aspect of the game. Guests playlist please!

1 round we matched against Homeboyd. Dude, that Holy Fanatic guy with you was glitching around like mad. The game was so laggy and he'd lunge clear across the map for kills. It was weird.

I always forget to jump back over players that are chasing me. I tried it and it worked. I need to do it more, its a good way to surprise people.

Some semi-deep shit I gotta get off my chest here.

A friend today was asking why I'm so serious about games, and I told him it started a long time ago when I was told girls are shit at games over and over. Since then it's been ingrained in me that I always have something to prove, even in the most insignificant of games like customs. It's hard to relax and just say "fuck the haters I'm going to play how I play" instead of keeping up the competitiveness. And I know it can probably get annoying playing with me, so I'm apologizing right now if I pissed someone off.

senador said:
I always forget to jump back over players that are chasing me. I tried it and it worked. I need to do it more, its a good way to surprise people.
It's one of the things I miss about being able to jump in Halo 3

also if I could suggest one more thing for the title update: could you please put the grenade launcher back to beta settings?

Devolution said:

A friend today was asking why I'm so serious about games, and I told him it started a long time ago when I was told girls are shit at games over and over. Since then it's been ingrained in me that I always have something to prove, even in the most insignificant of games like customs. It's hard to relax and just say "fuck the haters I'm going to play how I play" instead of keeping up the competitiveness. And I know it can probably get annoying playing with me, so I'm apologizing right now if I pissed someone off.
It's understandable. You're really good at this game though. I know it's easy to get frustrated, but for me the more I get frustrated the worse I play, and so on and so forth. So if someone talks shit about you being a girl or something, fuck them. We know you're good.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:

Oh Devo, don't worry about it. You are a lot of fun to play with and many times bring the lolz. I doubt anyone cares like that. ;)

"This fucking host is garbage!" :p

thezerofire said:
also if I could suggest one more thing for the title update: could you please put the grenade launcher back to beta settings?

What's wrong with the GL? I think its perfect.

thezerofire said:
It's one of the things I miss about being able to jump in Halo 3

I guess I didn't use the grenade launcher enough during the beta to notice a difference. What was different about it?

Devolution said:

Well I know I'm mad
because you haven't added me on your friend's list!
Kidding :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Devolution said:

didntreadlollfb4.gif

It's cool.

senador said:
What's wrong with the GL? I think its perfect.
Deputy Moonman said:
I guess I didn't use the grenade launcher enough during the beta to notice a difference. What was different about it?
It's very inconsistent compared to how it was in the beta. When you held the trigger down, it still did enough explosive damage to kill at not right-next-to-the-head range, but still did EMP at farther ranges. Also, a direct hit was a kill. It just felt way more consistent, and way more effective.

also Devo I replied above

Devolution said:
Understandable. I just enjoy playing with people who enjoy the game and it's fiction so I'm not at all bothered by your competitive edge.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:

I have people that rage at much smaller things so you are fine when it comes to getting pissed than some of my other friends lol

Also we all get pissed at one point or another :D

(one of my friends has broken at least 5 controllers in the course of a month before)

senador

Banned
thezerofire said:
It's very inconsistent compared to how it was in the beta. When you held the trigger down, it still did enough explosive damage to kill at not right-next-to-the-head range, but still did EMP at farther ranges. Also, a direct hit was a kill. It just felt way more consistent, and way more effective.

I have no problem using it and I find it to be an awesome weapon. I kill plenty of dudes and Devos with it while holding the trigger vs normal fire. The impact still kills but its got to be a certain distance. I like how it is because I feel not just anyone can use it. You have to learn it and take geometry and timing into account. I wish more maps had it.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=SenadorKooch

Striker

For MP I find the grenade launcher and plasma launcher pretty damn fine additions. Would not mind iterations of them for Halo 4.

Hopefully they finally destroy the Laser, as well.

Deputy Moonman said:
I was never a big fan of Valhalla. It's not a bad map. But there are so many BTB maps from Halo2 that would be awesome to play on again. Valhalla, or maybe i should say halo3 doesn't feel old enough to justify bringing them back already. Valhalla also looks a lot like the current Forge world setting, but I guess they could change the look too. i would love to have Colossus and Headlong. I wet my pants just thinking about the two maps.
I found Valhalla, like Standoff, to be two of Halo 3's best maps, but again like Standoff, it had a host of problems. The biggest one is a shared item, the Laser's default placement. Tells you about the state of the rest of Halo 3's map quality when their best two are flawed in so many ways.

Colossus would be great to see again, but I would want an asymmetric BTB map some time. I would prefer a map of Headlong's quality to be saved for Halo 4. It would, for some weird reason, feel wasted in this pack and never to be created again. It deserves to be a launch map and played hundreds of times over.

senador said:
I have no problem using it and I find it to be an awesome weapon. I kill plenty of dudes and Devos with it while holding the trigger vs normal fire. The impact still kills but its got to be a certain distance. I like how it is because I feel not just anyone can use it. You have to learn it and take geometry and timing into account. I wish more maps had it.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=SenadorKooch
I can still use it too, but it used to be way more useful. The direct hit is only a kill now if you bounce it first. The beta GL was a power weapon, and something to control. The release GL is a weapon you can get a couple kills with if you're really good at it. It's still really fun, and one of my favorite things about Reach (a dwindling list) but the beta one was just so good.

Tashi

Deputy Moonman said:
It looks like he assumed you were standing below the platform and in the other direction. You were one shot away from dying, so standing against the wall in plain view was probably unexpected. That's what I would have thought anyway if I had seen you drop the flag after dropping down.

I know. That's why I stand there. It fools everyone. (Take notes guys :p) However, the issue I have with this is why my assassination didn't register and why he melee'd with his back to turned to me and it still connected. This is was like, top 5 bullshit things to happen to me in Reach. It was a Gamebattles match too, I was very angry.

Also, I think I give players too much credit. I assume they're going to do smart things that I would do and sometimes get burned by it. No one I've played against has used that technique in the video I posted. However, if I'm going after a guy who drops from health pack, I'll always look to make sure he's not sitting there waiting for me to drop in front of him. It never happens, they always run under the base and hide there or just go straight bottom middle. It's a bad position to chase anyway. I can see why this guy chased me though. I was absolute, he was full shields and I had their flag. He needed the quick recovery.

Devo, do you hate losing?

Tashi

Devolution said:
Yes. Although it doesn't bother me once the game is over. I'm more upset when I do piss poor.

So are you actively trying to get better at the game or do you just not want to lose?

Blinding

Devolution said:
Yes. Although it doesn't bother me once the game is over. I'm more upset when I do piss poor..

I'm the same way, if I feel like I wasn't performing up to par then I instantly place all blame for the almost always negative outcome of the game on myself.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but yeah, it's kinda ridiculous that this is even possible. I know it's on a MLG map variant, but they vague details he was giving in regards to how he was able to pull that off seem like they could apply to, well, any map really. He has a couple other clips of him doing it on Countdown and Zealot, if anyone would like to see those.

Tashi0106 said:
So are you actively trying to get better at the game or do you just not want to lose?

What do you mean by actively? Doing competitive stuff like arena or mlg? If so, then no. It's not really about losing so much as getting frustrated when I can't kill people.

Tashi

Devolution said:
What do you mean by actively? Doing competitive stuff like arena or mlg? If so, then no. It's not really about losing so much as getting frustrated when I can't kill people.

No I mean like working on your game. Watching film (not just yours but other players or even Pro players), running around maps trying to learn new routes and jumps, trying new sensitivities, trying new strategies in games. Stuff like that.

Tashi0106 said:
No I mean like working on your game. Watching film (not just yours but other players or even Pro players), running around maps trying to learn new routes and jumps, trying new sensitivities, trying new strategies in games. Stuff like that.

Oh I haven't done that in a while, no.

Tashi

Devolution said:
Oh I haven't done that in a while, no.

Oh ok, was just wondering :)

Blinding, I wonder if any of that could be applied to a 4v4. Obviously something exactly like that is near impossible in a 4v4 but maybe it offers hints about the spawn system in the game.
We never got that explanation from Shishka :(

Recarpo

Tashi0106 said:
However, the issue I have with this is why my assassination didn't register and why he melee'd with his back to turned to me and it still connected.

Can't assassinate with the flag in your hands. I don't know if it's that way in normal CTF settings, but that's how it is in MLG settings.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
Blinding, I wonder if any of that could be applied to a 4v4. Obviously something exactly like that is near impossible in a 4v4 but maybe it offers hints about the spawn system in the game.
We never got that explanation from Shishka :(

Someone actually asked that and he explained that if the team had the right coordination and could successfully get the other team locked in a spawn cycle, then it would be certainly possible. I took that as someone focusing on their own spawn points (like, say, one player would be watching the spawns he was, someone would be watching another set of spawns, etc. etc.) In theory it's completely possible, but actually making it happen is a completely different thing, though I'm sure we're going to see a lot of pros attempting it since he was teaching Ninja about it earlier.

Top Bottom