• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Captain Blood said:
lol just saying we lost 3 HaloGAF members to "Things to do at PAX" yourself included :p

I don't know anything secret dude.

Hahahaha true.

No I'm just wondering if I missed a news story or something lol

Louis Wu

Tashi0106 said:
Awwww shiiiiiit. If true, congrats.
lol - no, not true. (Pretty sure they're not interested in hiring someone who lives 3000 miles from their headquarters, and isn't moving any time soon.)

I have a daughter in college in Seattle, and a niece celebrating a Bat Mitzvah this weekend; I have many non-gaming-related reasons to visit the Emerald City.

Cocopjojo said:
2948th.png
I'M DYIN HEAH

FyreWulff

Good games. I still think some other teams aren't aware that you can easily jump over the side wall on the Tempest base from the outside. Always catch people by surprise with that.

Karl2177

thezerofire said:
I'm giving up one set of BS for another. The problem is that kids keep vetoing Team BR's :\
Lag was killing me in my second game of H3 today. First game I remembered how hard it was to snipe.

What would people do to nerf some of the armor abilities?

For example, I'd nerf armor lock the following ways:
- Make it 6 seconds long
- Remove human shield emp'ing
- Stop shield recharge during AL
- Invincibility starts when the fist hits the floor

Basically making it a anti-vehicle AA rather than what it currently is. The reason I ask this question though is whether this type of nerf is even possible through a TU. Not that I expect such a thing, I'm simply curious as to whether or not its possible. I'd rather have game-breaking stuff be fixed rather than removed, but I can handle the removal of AA's just as fine.

Tawpgun

koshunter said:

- Make it 6 seconds long

Basically making it a anti-vehicle AA rather than what it currently is. The reason I ask this question though is whether this type of nerf is even possible through a TU. Not that I expect such a thing, I'm simply curious as to whether or not its possible. I'd rather have game-breaking stuff be fixed rather than removed, but I can handle the removal of AA's just as fine.

Remove them. Classic ++ here I come.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Remove them. Classic ++ here I come.

Realistically, Classic ++ and Slayer Pro bloomless (which I hope happens) are probably the only playlists I will touch. I asked rather the question to see if 343i is afraid of changing mechanics so drastically (afraid of pissing off the AL users in TS perhaps?) or rather the TU's are incapable of such a thing.

Homeboyd

koshunter said:
Realistically, Classic ++ and Slayer Pro bloomless (which I hope happens) are probably the only playlists I will touch. I asked rather the question to see if 343i is afraid of changing mechanics so drastically (afraid of pissing off the AL users in TS perhaps?) or rather the TU's are incapable of such a thing.
343 is happy with the way Reach plays right now for the most part (and so is a large portion, if not majority, of the player base as is). Most of us here however are definitely looking forward to the changes they make via the new classic settings. We'll have the best of both worlds.

You'll get to play Reach as it is right now (barring a few bug/glitch fixes) with no major gameplay changes in the core playlists even post-TU. You'll also have the opportunity to play the new classic playlists with the changes that come from the TU as well. Both styles available on the new CEA maps (not sure if it's been confirmed that the post-TU settings will be playable on older maps, although it has been confirmed that they CAN be played on them).

We're good.

Havok

koshunter said:
Armor Lock is getting a nerf in the TU (damage sustained while in AL drains its charge substantially, as seen in the Damnation video at 4:30), so they absolutely have the ability to do so.

As for the others, Evade and Drop Shield were terrible ideas and should be axed (Elites can keep their Evade in Invasion, it's less of a problem there). If Evade had to be kept, long cooldowns on pulling out weapons and melees should be instituted - it's an escape mechanism only now, solving the issues it presented with CQC weapons. If Bungie really wanted to make the Jetpack a traversal element, take it all the way there instead of straddling the line between movement and offense - now you can't shoot or throw grenades while Jetpacking, and measures should be taken to prevent people from taking microbreaks in thrust and raining down grenades. Let Camo users get their first shot off while cloaked, but add a long cooldown where they're visible afterwards, not as it is currently where they are invisible half a second later. Hologram and Sprint are okay as is, but a delay on melees coming out of sprint would be nice.

Homeboyd

Havok said:
Armor Lock is getting a nerf in the TU (damage sustained while in AL drains its charge substantially, as seen in the Damnation video at 4:30), so they absolutely have the ability to do so.
Has this been confirmed that it wasn't just the player coming out of armor lock to go for the beatdown? I know the charge meter dropped but doesn't it do that now if you just let up on AL?

Looks like a nerf to me as well, just wondering if it had been confirmed.

koshunter said:

- Make it 6 seconds long

All of the AAs are up too quick. They should be on longer cooldowns.

Evade shouldn't be in objective, especially on asylum. Invis shouldn't be in slayer, jetpacks neither. The only one I don't consider all that broken is sprint, especially since I utilize it on spawn to get the hell away from whatever crap I happened to unfortunately spawn in the middle of. But if movement was sped up and players made more agile in general, I wouldn't miss sprint either.

When using evade there should be a longer pause between leaving it and using a weapon. People who've dealt with someone who has mastered evade + sword or evade + shotgun know what I'm talking about. I wouldn't shed a tear however if they got rid of spartans using evade period.

Edit: Agreed with Havok for the most part.

The problem is it's not just AAs but other things coupled with AAs. Just nixing or modifying the AAs won't solve some issues.

Havok

Homeboyd said:
Has this been confirmed that it wasn't just the player coming out of armor lock to go for the beatdown? I know the charge meter dropped but doesn't it do that now if you just let up on AL?

Looks like a nerf to me as well, just wondering if it had been confirmed.
This might be the case, but looking closely at the indicator, it seems to be a two part jump in the charge, one when the grenade goes off, the other a millisecond after when he comes out of it. I'd like to get confirmation, but PR plans and all that.

Now that I think about it, AA's would have been much more "epic" and a testament of skill if they couldn't be spammed and a person would really have to save them up for a special occasion. sigh.

Luckily (as I only play in parties perhaps?), I haven't faced the annoyances of jet pack users as much as other people here. I find them quite easy targets actually. What does make me angry is that I was hoping jetpack would be a traversal ability where you could get to places quicker than you would on foot and nothing else. However, there seem to be a few jetpack exclusive areas and that causes most of my rage problems.

The most irritating one is on Powerhouse near red spawn which I'm almost 99% sure is jetpack exclusive and a great place to camp.

Striker

Devolution said:
Now that I think about it, AA's would have been much more "epic" and a testament of skill if they couldn't be spammed and a person would really have to save them up for a special occasion. sigh.
They definitely should have a longer cooling period, at least the items like Drop Shied, Camo, and Armor Lock.

Just as Bungie told us equipment in Halo 3 was going to be rare and was quite frequent.

thezerofire said:
finally got Team BR's. on Boundless lol

and we got fucking destroyed. How in the shit are the randoms in this game somehow worse than those in Reach?

LOL yeah they were just as bad in Halo 3 as in Reach.

Boundless...shudder

koshunter said:
Luckily (as I only play in parties perhaps?), I haven't faced the annoyances of jet pack users as much as other people here. I find them quite easy targets actually. What does make me angry is that I was hoping jetpack would be a traversal ability where you could get to places quicker than you would on foot and nothing else. However, there seem to be a few jetpack exclusive areas and that causes most of my rage problems.

The most irritating one is on Powerhouse near red spawn which I'm almost 99% sure is jetpack exclusive and a great place to camp.

My annoyance with the jetpack comes from the fact that shooting so vertically in the game is a pain in the ass (not too mention that hitbox advantage) and they can get up to high places that are quite game breaking. Unfortunately not all of those high places are kill zones, and even the zones that are, it doesn't really stop people from going up there and shooting for a couple seconds. And really that's all you need if someone is unable to really fire back.

Havok

koshunter said:

You're right, they're easy targets on their own. But Squad Slayer has been, in my experience, Jetpack Slayer. The problem arises when there are multiples straight above you, as they can aim straight down at you while you aren't able to look up at them (not to mention you'd be shooting their feet while they have a direct line to your head). Hell, I'd be okay with them buffing the traversal ability of the jetpack (making it more in line with a jumppack, a quick, quieter boost) if I couldn't be shot from 50 feet up on Asylum or grenade bombed on Reflection.

Edit: And what Devo said. Psychic links forming in this thread.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
tbh. they look like shit imo. Fortunately I don't play in MLG, so I can buy the Onza in near future.

Why so happy?
How dare you sir!

Also I kept hearing problems about the Onza so I avoided that lol

Devolution said:
My annoyance with the jetpack comes from the fact that shooting so vertically in the game is a pain in the ass (not too mention that hitbox advantage) and they can get up to high places that are quite game breaking. Unfortunately not all of those high places are kill zones, and even the zones that are, it doesn't really stop people from going up there and shooting for a couple seconds. And really that's all you need if someone is unable to really fire back.

Yes this too. Shooting down is quite easy, but shooting up not so much. They should limit the angle you can shoot down at while jetpacking. I think that would resolve this particular problem.

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
those look nice. how much?

the Onza is really uncomfortable imo
No idea yet also from the same thread

-The thumb sticks and d-pads can be swapped about any way the player choses, courtesy of Mad Catz's trademarked ProModule system. Mad Catz plans on selling special d-pad and thumb stick modules separately in a bevy of custom colors, shapes, and textures.
-Removable top and side plates, giving clans, guilds, and teams an easy way to make sure their signature weapons match.
-Cartridge-based weight system built-in, giving players the ability to add or remove up to 70 grams of weight.
-Braided ProCable unscrews for storage and travel

(I also heard the Onza's Dpad breaks)

Hypertrooper said:
Would love to try it out. If it is uncomfortable for me too, I'm going to stick with the original controller.
The triggers are really weird, they stick out a long ways and your fingers don't really fit right on them. Also, the shoulder buttons are really small. The adjustable sticks aren't all they're cracked up to be either, they don't get any looser than normal so it's only useful if you want to tighten them up, and for me it makes it harder to aim

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
Somewhat relevant

new official MLG controllers.

[IM]http://oi51.tinypic.com/wjsvhy.jpg[/IMG]parts can easily be swapped out.

These are made by Madcatz right? Looks like your basic 3rd party trash to me...

Omlet, why you so happy brah?

2 days until I fly to Seattle...

th_omg.gif

New MLG controller looks cool. Wonder how it feels to hold...

Wu I wonder why your shirt doesn't have believe on the back? I'll let you know if mine has it or not.

Also Domino, care to share? Or just going to smile

Devin Olsen said:
New MLG controller looks cool. Wonder how it feels to hold...

Wu I wonder why your shirt doesn't have believe on the back? I'll let you know if mine has it or not.

Also Domino, care to share? Or just going to smile

Only a couple days till Halofest what isn't to smile about!?

Nutter

Internet Connections.....

Reach host selection can f itself.

I have a better internet connection than 98% of the people in this thread... yet I hardly get host.

I blame my WOW playing brother

vhfive said:
If you're not going :(

trenched in about 40 min?
Yup yup
Nutter said:
Also I guess this place is as good as any..

So its looking more and more likely that I wont be able to go until Saturday.. So I have a Friday PAX Pass to sell. (Face value.. which was $35). If interested let me know.
That sucks dude what is happened?

Nutter

So its looking more and more likely that I wont be able to go until Saturday.. So I have a Friday PAX Pass to sell. (Face value.. which was $35). If interested let me know.

Ramirez

Nutter said:

Cockblocked by the fam.

I tweeted them to preregister us for the tourney, lame. :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:
Cockblocked by the fam.

edit: Nvm, looks like you edited me being part of the team out. :(

Anyways, Ram, Therms, Nutter, Blood: Reach in 20 minutes?

feel

Ramirez said:
Letters, my shirt says Beli343 on the back. :) I was thinking maybe I could get a bunch of 343 guys to sign it the day I wear it since I'll probably never wear it again. :p Need a silver autograph pen...
Well, so thanks to spreadshirt's shenanigans, 3 halogaffer privilege tiers at Halofest confirmed:

bottom: halogaffer, no halogaf shirt (e.g. handshake and awkward small talk with an also bottom tier 343i employee)
mid: halogaffer with halogaf shirt but unbeli343r (e.g. gets to see CEA private press demo)
top: halogaf beli343r (e.g. plays Halo 4 and gets to lick Frankie)

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
edit: Nvm, looks like you edited me being part of the team out. :(

Anyways, Ram, Therms, Nutter, Blood: Reach in 20 minutes?

Yea, I did. The tourney starts at 10 AM I believe, didn't you say your plane doesn't land until 11 AM? :(

Nutter

Ramirez said:
Cockblocked by the fam.

Isnt there a new tourney suppose to happen all 3 days?

Or is it the same tourney just spread over 3 days? In any case, I'm still trying to figure things out, as I would love to participate. Also keep it preregistered.. you never know hah.

Top Bottom