• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Gui_PT said:
Right here on the thread, son. 1 or 2 pages ago.
Crap, just saw it.

Also... 3 days!

tumblr_ll8nkiTvh61qajg12o1_500-1.gif

Devolution said:
Some semi-deep shit I gotta get off my chest here.

A friend today was asking why I'm so serious about games, and I told him it started a long time ago when I was told girls are shit at games over and over. Since then it's been ingrained in me that I always have something to prove, even in the most insignificant of games like customs. It's hard to relax and just say "fuck the haters I'm going to play how I play" instead of keeping up the competitiveness. And I know it can probably get annoying playing with me, so I'm apologizing right now if I pissed someone off.

Sorry to bring this back up Devo, But you are a mighty fine player regardless of gender i don't you have anything to prove on a videogame to say the least. You know your're good, and they people you play with know that too. That should be all that matters.

Also yesterday i think i told you to chill out yesterday right? I meant it. This was because i wanted you to have fun, and not think about everything that drives you crazy about the game because of the the nature of custom game (the ability to play stupidly and not get penalized for it)

You were playing some of the most chilled out people yesterday, Actually out of all of us, i think Xand and Zalin are the most chill. In matchmaking we take it seriously (recently had my 70+ game win streak come to an end, noooo!). But in customs, anything goes.

The only thing that annoys me (not directed at you) in customs is the bitching and complaining, brings the whole atmosphere down, if that the case, i will say something, if it carries on the whole party usually mute's the person in question.

But anyway, who cares what other people think, you are a very good player, better than me anyway :p

PooBone

Karl2177 said:
Alright. This game frustrates me to no end now. I'm done playing until the TU.
Me too. I played once after watching that video w/ the TU and was just like, "God fuck this game." Can't wait for this weekend to find out some details. Someone else said it best, "I've never wanted a game so bad that I already own."

cory021

Neo Member
So, uh, anyone wanna add me? My GT is cory021. I love customs :p

I have a lot of friends who play customs, but they're all forgers so every game of customs we play usually ends of being a testing session for a bunch of less-than-stellar maps

PooBone said:
Me too. I played once after watching that video w/ the TU and was just like, "God fuck this game." Can't wait for this weekend to find out some details. Someone else said it best, "I've never wanted a game so bad that I already own."

I tried doing the same thing, and going back to Halo 3, but that game is unplayable online now. LAN only from now on for me.

EDIT: I really hope we get a title update date at PAX, and that it comes out some time in September. Just knowing most of the BS in this game is going to be gone makes playing the game even more of a chore.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:

A friend today was asking why I'm so serious about games, and I told him it started a long time ago when I was told girls are shit at games over and over. Since then it's been ingrained in me that I always have something to prove, even in the most insignificant of games like customs. It's hard to relax and just say "fuck the haters I'm going to play how I play" instead of keeping up the competitiveness. And I know it can probably get annoying playing with me, so I'm apologizing right now if I pissed someone off.

bad kid

Tawpgun

heckfu said:
Playing through Halo 2 again tonight and tomorrow and I've gotta say...H2 has the best music of the franchise thus far. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Criticisms? Sandwiches?

Semi-Old post but agree.

ODST music was good in its own right. It's beautiful. But when I think of Halo music I think og the trilogies music. The Halo themes. And its in that regard that Halo 2 wins.

Something I was disappointed with in Halo 3 is that no cool music plays during gameplay. I remember being amazed when Under Cover of Night or Walk in the Woods played during CE. Or when In Amber Clad or Earth City played in Halo 2.

ODST was good but its hard to implement a good song that fits in an open world Hub. Deference for Darkness was my favorite song from ODST. But its implementation in the hub was meh. Skyline was amazing though.

Even in Reach, no cool music played during gameplay segments. It seems like it was all reserved for cutscenes.

cory021 said:
So, uh, anyone wanna add me? My GT is cory021. I love customs :p

I have a lot of friends who play customs, but they're all forgers so every game of customs we play usually ends of being a testing session for a bunch of less-than-stellar maps
Well, I don't do a lot of customs, but feel free to add me. I've got stuff going on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but I should be on quite a bit during the evening hours the rest of the week. I'm a glutton for punishment and keep playing Reach by myself, which results in a similar reaction to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-K_gvW9ZE#t=02m53s GT: XxDeputyMoonman

PooBone

A27 Tawpgun said:
Semi-Old post but agree.

ODST music was good in its own right. It's beautiful. But when I think of Halo music I think og the trilogies music. The Halo themes. And its in that regard that Halo 2 wins.

Something I was disappointed with in Halo 3 is that no cool music plays during gameplay. I remember being amazed when Under Cover of Night or Walk in the Woods played during CE. Or when In Amber Clad or Earth City played in Halo 2.

ODST was good but its hard to implement a good song that fits in an open world Hub. Deference for Darkness was my favorite song from ODST. But its implementation in the hub was meh. Skyline was amazing though.

Even in Reach, no cool music played during gameplay segments. It seems like it was all reserved for cutscenes.
I felt like Reach's music lacked soul. Every Halo game had "UNSC Music" that felt very snare-driven. Most of Reach felt that way. There wasn't much music that gave me chills like the other games.

Devolution said:

Since this is in discussion ill weigh in, I havnt played with you but from what iv read id gather your a decent player but it dosnt matter i play with some down right bad players at times and i still have fun and so do they.

I can see the point your making i feel the same at times trying to give 110% just to please others what im trying to say is that its not just female gamers put in this position alot of male gamers feel the same. Many of the "girls cant play games" crowd are bad players themselves.

I know its hard to do but just try and stay out of the competitive playlists if you can things like BTB, Squad Slayer and Customs. Get your self less associated with the competitive side and then when you drop into competitive stuff you wont feel the weight of having to give it your all.

If anyone wants to play halo without the pressure of having to go all out and win

GT=StalkerUKCG im up for games whenever playing whatever aslong as the people people are nice.

Gabotron ES said:
Why can't we force the juggernaut to spawn with other weapons aside from the hammer, I really hope 343 will try to fix this :/

This is a major issue it completely destroys juggernaut custom variants like predator ect.

PooBone said:
I felt like Reach's music lacked soul. Every Halo game had "UNSC Music" that felt very snare-driven. Most of Reach felt that way. There wasn't much music that gave me chills like the other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2A8jeNv1Y

Did you mention percussion? :p

This is my favorite Halo 2 track.

A27 Tawpgun said:

However I love the small amount of music they have in Invasion.

feel

Never played Timberlands so the right half of that pic screams Valhalla to me too, the spot where you land from the small mancannon on the lake base just like gui is saying.

FyreWulff said:
another one:

InEKZ.jpg
Hmm, rewatching the video it looks like the bottom of the structure on the left doesn't go behind the hill, but straight into it. (As in it's actually smaller and closer than the tricky perspective makes it look.) I still think we're looking at Timberlands, but I don't think that structure is the base, it's too small. Maybe the base has been expanded and that part is new.

It's a little embarassing how long it took me to recognize the object in the front as an upturned Warthog. It just looked weird without the wheels. The hog on the left I spotted almost instantly.

Youtube link to the IGN vid.

Letters said:
Never played Timberlands so the right half of that pic screams Valhalla to me too, the spot where you land from the small mancannon on the lake base just like gui is saying.

Valhalla has a LOT of timberlands influence. Timeberlands is an equally awesome, yet underrated map in my opinion.

The scorpion worked so well on this map, because of the hills and gulleys it could easily be destroyed.

Because nobody has done this yet.

ACFFA7.jpg

Here is a overview of timberlands

mysteryhalomap.jpg

I really hope, REALLY HOPE. That you can still go in the water :(

599px-Halo_Combat_Evolved-Timberland.jpg

I hope that clears up what map Timberland's is for anyone who is not familiar with it.

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:
Valhalla has a LOT of timberlands influence. Timeberlands is an equally awesome, yet underrated map in my opinion.

The scorpion worked so well on this map, because of the hills and gulleys it could easily be destroyed.

Oh hell yea Timberland was so very very very underrated. Gearbox made some great maps on the PC version. I think that's why unlike others I think the PC version was the best version of Halo. Is it's netcoding the greatest? Nah but at least it's playable online. God in fact I really need to play some again. been a long while since I have.

Frankie or Ellis, do you guys have plans to allow us to purchase Bungie Pro render minutes via Microsoft Points in the future?

I already asked Urk about this, he replied:

Urk (November 11 said:
We'd love to offer a method to pick up more minutes via Microsoft Points. If we can make
some headway on that front, we'll clue you in when it's go time. For right now (and the
foreseeable future) Amazon Payments is the only path to purchase.

PsychoRaven said:
Oh hell yea Timberlands was so very very very underrated. Gearbox made some great maps on the PC version. I think that's why unlike others I think the PC version was the best version of Halo. Is it's netcoding the greatest? Nah but at least it's playable online. God in fact I really need to play some again. been a long while since I have.

I hope they don't get rid of the water...

Kuroyume

Banned
What part of they're not remaking Halo 3 maps do you people not understand? Furthermore, it wouldn't make sense to remake such a polarizing map like Valhalla instead of something that is beloved like the Pit.

Kuroyume said:
What part of they're not remaking Halo 3 maps do you people not understand? Furthermore, it wouldn't make sense to remake such a polarizing map like Valhalla instead of something that is beloved like the Pit.

people didn't like Valhalla...?

feel

A27_StarWolf said:
Frankie: (laughs)

Timberlands seems like a great map and one I would salivate over in previous Halos, but will only care for it in Reach Classic++ if vehicles and the gameplay surrounding them changes dramatically with the TU too, but that seems like too big an endeavour for just a TU (but at least I hope they get a tweak or two).

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:

They'd be crazy to get rid of the water. And yea while they said no remakes of any 360 based game maps which leaves out Valhalla I don't know a single person who hates that map. Not a single one.

If anything I'd love to see it return for halo 4. Just without that damn laser. lol

GhaleonEB

Another upside to the Timerland selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberlands, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.

GhaleonEB said:
Another upside to the Timerlands selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberlands, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.

If you notice the bases have this steep drop right in front of them, its such a unique feature unseen in almost any Halo map, you get a lot of epic things happening. Imagine driving off that thing with the flag in the side seat :p

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Another upside to the Timerlands selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberlands, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.

I can see that. I think the remakes though are fitting here. After all it seems most are going to be Halo 1 maps be they Xbox or PC versions. Even if they are made from the Halo 2 versions those were just Halo 1 remakes so they still count as Halo 1 remakes. lol

The Real Napsta said:
Why is everyone calling Timberland, "timberlands"? Or am I the one who is wrong?

No. I just brainfarted and i think he did too. lol

Speaking of these remakes though I know I'd also kill to see Danger Canyon or Infinity too. Both of those would make great Big Team maps or just fun for 16 player customs.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Something I was disappointed with in Halo 3 is that no cool music plays during gameplay.
Huh. "Journey's End" and "Broken Path."
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, Timberland will be a new map for me. Never played Halo on the PC. Looking forward to it.

GhaleonEB said:
Another upside to the Timberland selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberland, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.
Same here. I'm kind of sick of all the remakes that Reach has shoved on us from it's release, but I have to say that I'm liking the changes to Beaver Creek from the gameplay footage. I hope that the expanded version is available in the Classic ++ hopper.

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:
Semi-Old post but agree.

I love a good Halo music discussion. IMO ODST implemented the hub music perfectly. Immediately after cutscenes and after 10 minutes of walking are when the piano/sax kick in. Otherwise it's a beautiful ambiance that complements the desolated nature of the city.
That sentence makes me sound like an absolute douche.
That is one reason why it takes my no. 1 spot for Halo music.

Halo 3 had many moments where the music was matched to the gameplay. The ones that stick out in my head are on Tsavo Highway, The Ark, The Covenant, and Halo. I know there are others throughout, but they just aren't coming to me quickly.

Another thing that's cool about Reach's music that not a lot of people caught on to was the reintroduction of the high strings. After Jorge's death, the soundtrack gradually introduced more high strings. This is an attempt to match the same balance of orchestration in the beginning of Halo 1. They aren't the most apparent, but they provide a nice harmony to the mid strings.

Wow Timberland definitely looks good... I wonder why they chose to throw a bridge over the water, hopefully you're still allowed to wander around in the water.

As for the MLG spawn trap... Pretty interesting stuff, I'd be curious to have a Bungie/343 person explain what exactly is going on. I know they did a very in depth spawn writeup on Halo 3 back in the day. It would be neat to see the same thing explained in Reach.

GhaleonEB

The Real Napsta said:
Why is everyone calling Timberland, "timberlands"? Or am I the one who is wrong?
I blame Highlands.
squidhands said:
Same here. I'm kind of sick of all the remakes that Reach has shoved on us from it's release, but I have to say that I'm liking the changes to Beaver Creek from the gameplay footage. I hope that the expanded version is available in the Classic ++ hopper.
Same. The rear and side tunnels will undoubtedly make the map play better. I was so glad to see them make those kinds of (optional) adjustments.

GhaleonEB said:
Another upside to the Timerland selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberland, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.
I don't mind getting remakes, especially when they're as beautiful as the ones we've seen so far. I'm a big fan of the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon value. It's a stretch to say we're getting 12 new maps (not that anyone is saying that) but it certainly feels like we're getting more than 6.

That said, I agree with you about Timberland. I never played Halo PC, but it looks like a fun map.

I'm trying to imagine how Reach's disc maps will play in Classic, since Team Classic has only had Forge World remakes. Powerhouse and Countdown will probably work great.

Crazy random idea, but what if the TU let 343 disable low-gravity effects? Zealot probably wouldn't work, but Anchor 9 would be vastly improved (it would require a new bridge or a grav lift, but that's doable). I have less problems with Condemned's low-gravity area, but it would be interesting to see how it played without those effects.

ElRenoRaven

Damn. All this talk really had me wanting to play some Halo but most are empty and the highest player filled server has 9 people.

That's just really really sad. I'd so host one up but I don't know how good my connection would be and I doubt it would get anyone. :(

I thought the bases on timberland are the same as those on sidewinder and those got changed when it was made intio avalanche in Halo 3.

I wonder how 343 will change up the bases in timberland since ladders are long gone in Halo multiplayer. Gravlifts are an option but I think we'll see a revisioned base in Anniversery.

GhaleonEB

Tha Robbertster said:
I thought the bases on timberland are the same as those on sidewinder and those got changed when it was made intio avalanche in Halo 3. I wonder how 343 will change up the bases in timberland since ladders are long gone in Halo multiplayer. Gravlifts are an option but I think we'll see a revisioned base in Anniversery.
Ladders on Damnation were replaced with lifts, so they'll probably go that route given the objective of faithful remakes in terms of geometry and flow. Maybe we'll be able to make Battle Canyon-type modifications to the bases.

Karl2177 said:
I love a good Halo music discussion. IMO ODST implemented the hub music perfectly. Immediately after cutscenes and after 10 minutes of walking are when the piano/sax kick in. Otherwise it's a beautiful ambiance that complements the desolated nature of the city.
That sentence makes me sound like an absolute douche.
That is one reason why it takes my no. 1 spot for Halo music.
Yeah, I though ODST implemented the music in the hub world for the most part. Though, there are some instances where music "fighting music" starts out of nowhere even though there are no enemies nearby.

An example of good implementation is right after Tayari Plaza, when you're brought back to the hub.
Halo 3 had many moments where the music was matched to the gameplay. The ones that stick out in my head are on Tsavo Highway, The Ark, The Covenant, and Halo.
Re: "Journey's End": one of the reasons why I enjoy the encounter with the two Scarabs is because of the music. It makes the fight feel so epic.

"Citadel in sight!" *music starts*

GhaleonEB said:
Ladders on Damnation were replaced with lifts, so they'll probably go that route given the objective of faithful remakes in terms of geometry and flow. Maybe we'll be able to make Battle Canyon-type modifications to the bases.

a lift and a catcher.

One lift takes you up.

One right next to it catches you and no fall damage is done.

squidhands said:
I've been saying this for awhile. It's a shame that when all is said and done, half or nearly half of Reach's maps will be remakes.

It's why I don't want to see any more remakes in Halo 4. Well, no more than two or three, really.

GhaleonEB said:
The fact that it was on PC and many Halo players never saw it makes me think 343/Certain Affinity may have been a little more loose with this remake.

I'm sure we'll still get 2 variants, but I imagine the outcry will be diminished if Timberland Classic has been altered (compared to the outcry of changing Hang 'em High).

heckfu

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yeah, I though ODST implemented the music in the hub world for the most part. Though, there are some instances where music "fighting music" starts out of nowhere even though there are no enemies nearby.

Yeah ODST has some really stellar music and some of Marty's best work. To me, though, it doesn't feel like 'Halo' music, whatever that is. After the first 3 I had come to expect earth-shattering music; something to drive off the end of the world to but ODST came and shook that up so I guess that's why I'm partial to Halo 2's music.

Peril, Heretic,Hero, Earth City (not to mention the title screen music and the songs looping in the background while waiting for MM or customs still stick out to me really clearly today when I hear them.

PooBone

Dax01 said:
Huh. "Journey's End" and "Broken Path."
Yeah, The Ark had some awesome music throughout.

EDIT: Also, I remember the drums clacking right when the first Scarab explodes. Fuckin awesome. I remember hearing that and seeing the flash for the first time w/ shit flying around overhead and mongooses scrambling around and thinking it was total chaos.

Dax01 said:
I've been saying this for awhile. It's a shame that when all is said and done, half or nearly half of Reach's maps will be remakes.

It's why I don't want to see any more remakes in Halo 4. Well, no more than two or three, really.

I think that Halo 4 should include 0 remakes.

I'm looking at Halo 4 as new game, a new trilogy, just shy of a new series.

This game needs to be like Halo1, it needs to bring something completely new to the table, and be completely original. That means all original maps.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I really am rooting for 343 to restart Halo into the next decade!

Top Bottom