• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Nutter said:
Also I guess this place is as good as any..

So its looking more and more likely that I wont be able to go until Saturday.. So I have a Friday PAX Pass to sell. (Face value.. which was $35). If interested let me know.

DAMNIT NUTTER!

I work a long shift and I come to the thread and see this?!

Get on teh haloez NAO!1

edit: wow I keep getting first post on page. Time to finally switch to 100 per, methinks.

Letters said:
Well, so thanks to spreadshirt's shenanigans, 3 halogaffer privilege tiers at Halofest confirmed:

bottom: halogaffer, no halogaf shirt (e.g. handshake and awkward small talk with an also bottom tier 343i employee)
mid: halogaffer with halogaf shirt but unbeli343r (e.g. gets to see CEA private press demo)
top: halogaf beli343r (e.g. plays Halo 4 and gets to lick Frankie)
Puh. Fortunately I get the German bonus! I hope...
The foreigner bonus rises me into the top group, right LETTERS? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Edit.: I was the first person who wear the t-shirt in the public. I want to belong to the top group It is for my ego. :(
Tbh. I'm just a bit sad that I don't have the back print.

Blinding

Ramirez said:
These are made by Madcatz right? Looks like your basic 3rd party trash to me...

It's funny, before their FightSticks I would've said the same thing, but if these controllers are anything like said FightStucks in regards to quality then they're going to be amazing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
It's funny, before their FightSticks I would've said the same thing, but if these controllers are anything like said FightStucks in regards to quality then they're going to be amazing.

Truth

Blinding said:
They really stepped it up. Their arcade sticks and R.A.T. mice (while looking completely off the wall, are highly praised) have really polished their reputation in my eyes. The new controllers look solid.

wwm0nkey

Rickenslacker said:
They really stepped it up. Their arcade sticks and R.A.T. mice (while looking completely off the wall, are highly praised) have really polished their reputation in my eyes. The new controllers look solid.
They also purchased Tritton so they have quality head sets too. They are even publishing games now too lol

Nutter

Oh and since we were talking about internet speeds earlier...

Google has started to roll out their Gigabit Fiber Internet lines.

1439368197.png

Cant wait till this is provided up here in Oregon.

kylej

Banned
Everything I know about Mad Catz I learned from the N64. Some poor bastard was always forced to use one of these in multiplayer.

N64-MadCatz.jpg

Shameful.

feel

Hypertrooper said:
Puh. Fortunately I get the German bonus! I hope...
The foreigner bonus rises me into the top group, right LETTERS? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Edit.: I was the first person who wear the t-shirt in the public. I want to belong to the top group It is for my ego. :(
Tbh. I'm just a bit sad that I don't have the back print.
Me too. I wonder how long it takes for the shirts to arrive after ordering from the US store? Maybe you could send one to the reception of the hotel where you'll be staying and or to another gaffer going to pax.

darthbob

Nutter said:
Oh and since we were talking about internet speeds earlier...

Google has started to roll out their Gigabit Fiber Internet lines.

1439368197.png

Cant wait till this is provided up here in Oregon.

I wouldn't count on it. In Oregon, our major telecoms are Comcast, Qwest, and Frontier.

In my area, just Comcast and Qwest, and Comcast is capped at like 25/10.

Ramirez

kylej said:
Everything I know about Mad Catz I learned from the N64. Some poor bastard was always forced to use one of these in multiplayer.

[IG]http://www.mishmashmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/N64-MadCatz.jpg[/IMG]

Shameful.

lmao, back in the day we had one of those adapters for the PS2 that could add 4 extra controllers. My friends would come to blows over who had to use the 3rd party controllers in our 6 player Smackdown sessions.

Letters said:
Me too. I wonder how long it takes for the shirts to arrive after ordering from the US store? Maybe you could send one to the reception of the hotel where you'll be staying and or to another gaffer going to pax.

Took about a week.

Lazslo

Edit: Beaten- but: Who is 343 Studio's

Shit, the Executive Producer is a nice lady by the name of 'Kiki Wolfekill'- Halo 4 will be incredible, It can't be anything less with a lady of that name at the helm. Please have her on the Sparkcast sometime!

Devolution said:
All of the AAs are up too quick. They should be on longer cooldowns...

...The problem is it's not just AAs but other things coupled with AAs. Just nixing or modifying the AAs won't solve some issues.
Spot on analysis!

So I was playing Reach for over 3 hours again today with almost no one on. lame :(

FyreWulff

BackdoorBeauty said:
That looks about right. Very exciting...

If so, this is the list so far:

Damnation
Beaver Creek
Hang 'em High
Timberlands

Anyone got a guess for the last two?

They talked about playing a certain map with no fall damage. Since Halo 2 didn't have fall damage and Frankie's already confirmed no maps from Halo 3, the maps that would need no-fall-damage to play like the original and weren't remade for the 360 generation would be:

Headlong
Relic
Colossus

Relic would be redundant with Boardwalk around, and no fall damage would only come into play for jumping from the flag cap spot. Colossus would be neat but we can already make it with Forge World easily. Headlong would need the fall damage toggle the most for a 'Classic' mode, since the playspaces get so high up, it can't be made in FW without huge framedrops and discoing, and would also make a great Invasion entry.

Waterworks would be a possibility, but 90% of that map fall damage wouldn't matter and I would imagine the high spots for snipers to get on with banshees would be softkilled anyway.

I'm putting my chips on Headlong being the Halo 2 entry.

Devolution said:
What's wrong with valhalla compared to Reach big team maps.

Valhalla was a great BTB map. Actual strategy with your CTFs and Neutral bombs? Don't mind if I do.

BTB in Reach today problematic.. it relies too heavily on Forged maps. The shipped BTB maps of Hemmorage, Boneyard, and Spire do not compare to a Valhalla (shooting angles, top control, actual fucking strategy), Avalanche (Vehicle teamwork++, like flag pickups in the Falcon), Standoff (team BR++), or even a Sandtrap (if you like asymmetrical gametypes)

Last Resort was good for the asymmetrical gametypes and territories, but it was balanced by all the other two base maps. Reach only shipped with 3 BTB maps, and two of them were asym.

Valhalla was not perfectly symmetrical of course, but side of the map was designed to balance the other. Turret and bubble shield vs a strong Pelican side.

Rats Nest, which still stuck with the symmetrical two-base formula which has been the hallmark of a good BTB experience.

Longshore was another asymmetrical BTB maps from Bungie, and it didn't work outside of 1 flag, in my nobody asked two bit opinion. But I guess it worked as designed..

Just a regular BTB fan myself, though.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Damn. I'm so behind on this thread.

Who's signing up for the tournaments at PAX?

Really the only tournament I can fit in would be the CTF one on Sunday. One of the panels ends at 1:30 and the tourney is supposed to start at 1:30...

From what I can tell you have to have a team of four there in person to sign up; there's no pre-reg option like the Slayer tournament.

lybertyboy said:

"Halo: CEA. It's a gas!"

Havok

BackdoorBeauty said:
Longshore was the beginning of the very asymmetrical BTB maps from Bungie, and it didn't work, in my nobody asked two bit opinion.
What? Some of the best Halo 2 Big Team maps were asymmetric. Relic, Terminal, Headlong. Longshore had problems, but it being asymmetric weren't among them, and it certainly wasn't the beginning of anything.

It's not like Reach is the first game to have lackluster BTB in the series. Even Halo 3's best BTB map, Avalanche (I maintain that Valhalla is one of the most overrated maps in the series), had serious issues with bad placement (2 overshields, 2 snipers, and a shotgun within 5 seconds of each other, really?), while Sandtrap suffered from Elephant griefing left and right. That doesn't make Reach's BTB less awful, but it's just a continuation of a downward trend.
xxjuicesxx said:
I have a question. Why can Bungie not produce a game where vehicles don't sometimes randomly just fly off the fucking map?

Every other game company can?
Revenant glitch? It's insane that that vehicle is still in matchmaking considering how many exploits and bugs are associated with it.

I have a question. Why can Bungie not produce a game where vehicles don't sometimes randomly just fly off the fucking map?

Every other game company can?

Havok said:
What? Some of the best Halo 2 Big Team maps were asymmetric. Relic, Terminal, Headlong. Longshore had problems, but it being asymmetric weren't among them, and it certainly wasn't the beginning of anything.

It's not like Reach is the first game to have lackluster BTB in the series. Even Halo 3's best BTB map, Avalanche (I maintain that Valhalla is one of the most overrated maps in the series), had serious issues with bad placement (2 overshields, 2 snipers, and a shotgun within 5 seconds of each other, really?), while Sandtrap suffered from Elephant griefing left and right. That doesn't make Reach's BTB less awful, but it's just a continuation of a downward trend.

Yeah, I was in the middle of revising my statement.. quoted for posterity I suppose. Just shooting from the hip here, so to speak.

ncsuDuncan said:
Really the only tournament I can fit in would be the CTF one on Sunday. One of the panels ends at 1:30 and the tourney is supposed to start at 1:30...

From what I can tell you have to have a team of four there in person to sign up; there's no pre-reg option like the Slayer tournament.

"Halo: CEA. It's a gas!"
I think the Gearbox panel starts sometime around then. Hmmmmm.

ncsuDuncan said:

Gearbox Panel or CTF tournament? That would be my question.
If you still need a member for Thunderpunch, I'll join you.

lybertyboy said:
Your relationship to Mr. Ayoub is interesting. He can feel when you fart. Astounding.

Havok said:
while Sandtrap suffered from Elephant griefing left and right. That doesn't make Reach's BTB less awful, but it's just a continuation of a downward trend..

Haha wow, I just remembered that. You could drive the Elephant up the crashed Phantom and ruin the entire game.

Top Bottom