• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

wwm0nkey

Tha Robbertster said:
What upcoming games are you guys gonna buy?
Dead island
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3
Skyrim (get that for free)
Halo CEA

Thinking about getting War Hammer 40k Space Marine after playing the demo.

Recarpo

Syracuse022 said:
Jackpot. Can't wait. Does installing the game alleviate load times at all?

I don't have the game yet, but IGN did a comparison with 360 installed/uninstalled and the PS3. The installed 360 loaded faster in pretty much every situation. You can see the vid here if you're interested.

feel

went into the deus ex thread and the praise is very high and unanimous, mmm.. it can't be that "casualized" and"consolized", with my petpeeves from the videos being a big deal or the PC guys would be all bitching about it. Will wait a month or something, if it's still being highly praised I'll go back on my decision and get it

Since people are doing it, my list of 100% sure buys for this year:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (wii)
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (360)
Metal Gear Solid High-Definition Collection (360)
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD Collection (ps3)
Uncharted 3 (ps3)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (for both xbox & ps3)

HD remakes of some of my absolute fav games ever coming out so close to each other FTMFW

Upcoming games? Great idea, now I can put it down somewhere haha.

Halo CEA
Battlefield 3
COD:MW3
Halo 4?!!?!?
Halo Wars 2

PsychoRaven said:
You'd be amazed. I ran Halo just fine on my crappy PCs back in the day. Sure it won't look as good but I bet you could unless your PC totally sucks.

To see how it would run google can you run it. Go there and select Halo PC. I find them to be accurate most of the time.

I run it on a 3 year old laptop not designed for gaming at max settings at 60 fps with a 640x480 window and its not taxing, pretty much any pc that can browse gaf without crashing should be able to run the game. The patches help a lot so download them from b.net first tho.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Hm. My mistake. My apologies. Yeah, I'm not too huge on iron sights either.

This video is what sold me on the game. Because I really don't like iron sights, I'd opt for the last two approaches. It'll be really fun to explore and find alternate routes.

Edit: I've only seen a couple of videos, but I could've sworn I saw a trailer in which the guy shot a pistol without using iron sights. Maybe I'm misremembering the footage.
Pretty interesting. In that kind of game I'd be a mix of stealth/exploration gameplay over combat, so as long as it's truly as flexible as that video makes it look, I'd have less of an issue. I'll study up a bit after PAX; I was thinking of getting a game between now and Skyrim.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Hey... Battlefield is not dog shit.
You'll see that I quickly rephrased. There's a difference between stating I don't like something and calling it terrible. Iron sights are usually a good indication that I won't like the game, for a variety of reasons. Sort of like a movie starring someone you hate and who gets on your nerves.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Blood said:
Are the cutscenes from all the games available online on waypoint or anything? I am trying to think of ways to kill time on flights/layovers and watching all of those could be kinda fun. OT but what does wifi generally cost a person on a plane? Could I wifi tether from my phone or would that blow us up?
Most Delta flights have Gogo which is usually like ten bucks. And you could tether, I see people doing that all the time.

Recarpo

Just a heads up for anybody looking to get CE anniversary. You can preorder it at newegg right now for $30 if you use the code EMCKBHG94 during checkout. Free 3 day shipping included.

Gui_PT said:
You guys are making me want to play it. But I don't think 30 euros are worth for a game that probably won't run smoothly on my computer :lol
30? Here in the third worl... ehr, Italy, it's 9€ brand new °O° I bought it few months ago just for the faceplate (and because I love Halo, obviously)

Homeboyd

Karl2177 said:
Really? Halopedia as a source?
Frankie mentioned in the G4tv interview that Timberland was one of the remakes. He said something along the lines of "...fans already figured out that the map in the trailer was Timberland."

Assuming the interview is accurate, we can say it's pretty certain that it is one of the maps.

Edit: Source

"O'Connor confirmed that Anniversary will include seven multiplayer maps in all, one of which is dedicated entirely to Firefight mode. "Some of them are from Halo, maybe one is from Halo 2 and people have already spotted the Timberland map from Halo PC in there."

ElRenoRaven

HiredN00bs said:
Newegg.com has Halo: CEA on sale for $29.99 w/free shipping. You have to log into your account and add the promotional code EMCKBHG94.

Free shipping eh? How good are they about getting it to you on release date and do they charge you when ordered or when shipped?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PsychoRaven said:
Free shipping eh? How good are they about getting it to you on release date and do they charge you when ordered or when shipped?

The shipping isn't release day, it's 3 day. Heck, for $10 off retail and free shipping it's worth it though.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
usually newegg copies get in a day before the shipping date, in ODST's case it was a week before release when people started getting theirs lol

Cocopjojo said:
Most Delta flights have Gogo which is usually like ten bucks. And you could tether, I see people doing that all the time.
Gah, I am jealous of you crazy Americans with your in flight WiFi.

I get pretzels on my flight, if I am lucky.. and that's about it.

Is the Newegg thing release day shipping, or 3 days after release day?

Deadly Cyclone said:
The shipping isn't release day, it's 3 day. Heck, for $10 off retail and free shipping it's worth it though.
With Amazon Prime that's not too big of a deal though

Or you could purchase the game at full price at a midnight release and then return the sealed Newegg.com copy to Gamestop for a full refund when it arrives...

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
usually newegg copies get in a day before the shipping date, in ODST's case it was a week before release when people started getting theirs lol

Hmm. Very tempted but I just have to have it the day it releases. IT wouldn't feel right not getting it that day or before.

Hell if I knew our Wal Mart here would get it in and put it on sale at Midnight I'd so buy it there just like I did with the original Xbox.

As is I will probably stick with Amazon release date. With shipping that's 41 bucks for me which isn't bad at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HiredN00bs said:
Or you could purchase the game at full price at a midnight release and then return the sealed Newegg.com copy when it arrives...

Are they doing midnight launches?

Also, I'll have so much to play by then that 3 days won't kill me. :p

Cocopjojo said:
For free wifi in-flight using GoGo, use the coupon code: DIETCOKEGOGO

It's good for the entire month of August. For free. Awesome sauce.

Devin Olsen? Can you kick me out of the Saturday Dinner list? Unfortunately I have other plans on that day :/

After everyone is posting his 2011 titles, I'm going to do the same:

Definitely:
Halo: CE:A
Gears Of War 3

Maybe:
Space Marine
Skyrim
Uncharted 3
Rayman Origins
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Hmm. Very tempted but I just have to have it the day it releases. IT wouldn't feel right not getting it that day or before.

Hell if I knew our Wal Mart here would get it in and put it on sale at Midnight I'd so buy it there just like I did with the original Xbox.

As is I will probably stick with Amazon release date. With shipping that's 41 bucks for me which isn't bad at all.
I've done midnight release for every Halo game from Halo 2 onward, but I just did the Newegg thing for the discount. I still get the pre-order skull and it'll save me a bit of hassle since gaming stores are a fair bit out of the way for me.

I'm fine now but just watch, two days after release I'll be going bonkers since everyone else will have the new maps.

Currently my retail plans for the year are just:

Halo Anniversary
Skyrim

I'm looking for a game between now and then. It might be Deus Ex, we'll see.

Edit: all this reminds me, I wasn't planning to do the thread for CEA. So it's up for grabs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My 2011 Titles:

Deus Ex
Gears 3
Ico/SotC Collection
Forza 4
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3
Modern Warfare 3
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Halo Anniversary
Saint's Row 3

Wallet am cry.

Gui_PT

Might as well post my list too:

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

GhaleonEB said:
I've done midnight release for every Halo game from Halo 2 onward, but I just did the Newegg thing for the discount. I still get the pre-order skull and it'll save me a bit of hassle since gaming stores are a fair bit out of the way for me.

I'm fine now but just watch, two days after release I'll be going bonkers since everyone else will have the new maps
Don't worry Ghaleon, you won't be alone... I am probably going to be doing the same.

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
When you check out with a preorder on Amazon, does it charge you right away, or does it wait until it ships?

Waits until shipped. They also have a guarantee of you getting the lowest price. So if the price drops anytime after you order until release you'll get that price. And if it goes up after you order it you still only pay the price you ordered at.

That's just one of the many reasons I love amazon.

I'm getting these for sure:

Halo CEA
MGS HD Collection

Everything else is a maybe. Gears 3 and MW3 will probably both be terrible, but there is a chance they could be good. I'll get Skryim when i have time to play it.

i nerini del buio said:
well that's not the map's fault... no way you can design an arena map that plays good with those stupid aimassisted inconsistent overpowered grenades :/ probably the only map where frags are not annoying is hemorrage lol

Well then a map like Countdown doesn't belong in Reach if the maps characteristics don't fit well with the Reach's gameplay mechanics. It appears that was not taken into account for any Reach maps though.

Purchases for 2011:
Halo CEA
Battlefield 3
Skyrim
Gears 3
Assassins Creed Revelations

OUCH!

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty interesting. In that kind of game I'd be a mix of stealth/exploration gameplay over combat, so as long as it's truly as flexible as that video makes it look, I'd have less of an issue. I'll study up a bit after PAX; I was thinking of getting a game between now and Skyrim.

You'll see that I quickly rephrased. There's a difference between stating I don't like something and calling it terrible. Iron sights are usually a good indication that I won't like the game, for a variety of reasons. Sort of like a movie starring someone you hate and who gets on your nerves.
The thing with Battlefield is that the games are incredibly immersive. No other game makes you feel like you're truly in an intense, hollywood-esque war (I say that because more realistic simulators like ARMA are boring as fuck.)

ADS makes sense in a game going for immersion and (somewhat)realism. In an arcadey game like CoD and others it just ruins it. Makes it slower, easier, boring.

As far as my games.

DEFINITELY
Halo CEA
Battlefield 3

HOPEFULLY/EVENTUALLY
Gears 3
SSX
Assassins Creed Revelations
Dead Island

Karl2177

Homeboyd said:
Frankie mentioned in the G4tv interview that Timberland was one of the remakes. He said something along the lines of "...fans already figured out that the map in the trailer was Timberland."

Assuming the interview is accurate, we can say it's pretty certain that it is one of the maps.

Edit: Source
This is a source.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Battlefield 3
Battlefield controls feel weird to me, and none of the control schemes felt right to me. I just didn't think BC2 was fun at all. Even the campaign pissed me off.

GhaleonEB said:

I'm fine now but just watch, two days after release I'll be going bonkers since everyone else will have the new maps.

Currently my retail plans for the year are just:

Halo Anniversary
Skyrim

I'm looking for a game between now and then. It might be Deus Ex, we'll see.
Portal 2! :)
Edit: all this reminds me, I wasn't planning to do the thread for CEA. So it's up for grabs.
Devin Olsen said:
If someone better than me wants to do this they can, otherwise I may take a shot at it.
This reminds me. What will be the Halo thread post CEA? Will all MP discussion still go in the Reach OT series, or will it start over with CEA? The former because CEA only comes with six Reach maps and not the entire set?

The Real Napsta said:
I'm getting these for sure:

Halo CEA
MGS HD Collection

Everything else is a maybe. Gears 2 and MW3 will propbably both be terrible, but there is a chance they could be good. I'll get Skryim when i have time to play it.
Gears 3 will be really good, not so sure about MW3

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Portal 2! :)

This reminds me. What will be the Halo thread post CEA? Will all MP discussion still go in the Reach OT series, or will it start over with CEA? The former because CEA only comes with six Reach maps and not the entire set?

Yea. That's what we really need to figure out. We don't want to split the community. After all that would be bad for the population of said threads. The fewer the better.

Top Bottom