• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Does anyone feel like playing some MM?

Edit: What a waste of a top of the page post, may as well post this since PAX is soon.

------------------

GAF Pre-PAX Pancake Party

hJLDz.jpg

Confirmed Attendees
  • Devin Olsen
  • goatrope
  • Baily Howatt (friend of mine)
  • Sean P
  • Hypertrooper
  • Hitmonchan107
  • GhaleonEB
  • Captain Blood
  • Eazy B
  • Ramirez
  • ncsuDuncan (and his friend Nate)
  • OuterWorldVoice (maybe)
  • Domino Theory
  • Cocopjojo

Where?: We ate here last year and the food/service was great. They were able to fix up a table big enough for the whole group of us with more then enough room to spare. The proximity to the Convention center is good, the only iffy part is parking. If my memory serves me correctly there is street parking all around it and if all else fails there is pay parking (very cheap) a block away... It's also nearly walking distance from the convention centre so if you're without a ride that's an option. (pretty sure a group of guys walked last year from breakfast and beat me to the panel line-up since I had to deal with parking and what'not)

When?: Up to you guys, the places open at 6:30AM but there is nothing Halo related to line up for until the Bungie: Hatching the Cosmic Halo Egg panel which is at noon... Right now people are suggesting 7AM. So tentatively it's 7AM

Why?: Because I said so

If you'd like to be added to the list please PM me or respond.

Also checkity, check what Duncan set up.

Also wondering about setting up a dinner get together on Saturday, what do you guys think?
Folks interested so far in dinner
  • Devin Olsen
  • Baily Howatt
  • goatrope
  • Sean P
  • Hypertroooper
  • ncsuDuncan (and his friend Nate)

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't mind getting remakes, especially when they're as beautiful as the ones we've seen so far. I'm a big fan of the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon value. It's a stretch to say we're getting 12 new maps (not that anyone is saying that) but it certainly feels like we're getting more than 6.

That said, I agree with you about Timberland. I never played Halo PC, but it looks like a fun map.

I'm trying to imagine how Reach's disc maps will play in Classic, since Team Classic has only had Forge World remakes. Powerhouse and Countdown will probably work great.

Crazy random idea, but what if the TU let 343 disable low-gravity effects? Zealot probably wouldn't work, but Anchor 9 would be vastly improved (it would require a new bridge or a grav lift, but that's doable). I have less problems with Condemned's low-gravity area, but it would be interesting to see how it played without those effects.
Am I the only one who doesn't like Countdown? I've yet to have a remotely enjoyable game on that map, and I blame it on all the small-ass corridors and inevitable grenade spam. I might like it better if there were no grenade starts for the map and you have to pick them up like any other power weapon (which, let's face it, they certainly are in Reach), but as it stands it's definitely one of my least favorite non-forge maps in the game.

A27_StarWolf said:
I think that Halo 4 should include 0 remakes.

I'm looking at Halo 4 as new game, a new trilogy, just shy of a new series.

This game needs to be like Halo1, it needs to bring something completely new to the table, and be completely original. That means all original maps.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I really am rooting for 343 to restart Halo into the next decade!
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

feel

PsychoRaven said:
Screw it. Hosting up Neogaf server. IF you have Halo PC come join. I'll be on for a bit.
I'll pay with you for a bit. Not only I will be using a controller, it'll be a ps3 controller (been playing PES2012 leaked pc demo all morning), this should be lulz-worthy to say the least.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
The fact that it was on PC and many Halo players never saw it makes me think 343/Certain Affinity may have been a little more loose with this remake.

I'm sure we'll still get 2 variants, but I imagine the outcry will be diminished if Timberland Classic has been altered (compared to the outcry of changing Hang 'em High).
I had that thought as well. I know I wouldn't care what they did to it so long as it played well. Might have about six angry PC gamers for the changes. Though I'm guessing most such changes will be added via Forge (such as that bridge).

squidhands said:
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!
Agree. If they're taking the opportunity to reset the combat sandbox a bit, they should do so for the maps as well. Start the new trilogy fresh.

Sibylus

Banned
Timberland is pretty awesome! Hoping that the rivers are free game and that the rocky hills are soft barriers, map isn't quite the same if you can't vault a Warthog into the front lawn of a base :p

How are we ever going to keep track of all the information coming from Halo Fest? So many panels I can't imagine all the stuff that is going to come out of them.

My body is ready, but my mind is not D:

squidhands said:
Am I the only one who doesn't like Countdown? I've yet to have a remotely enjoyable game on that map, and I blame it on all the small-ass corridors and inevitable grenade spam. I might like it better if there were no grenade starts for the map and you have to pick them up like any other power weapon (which, let's face it, they certainly are in Reach), but as it stands it's definitely one of my least favorite non-forge maps in the game.

It higly depends on what players I'm playing against much like Construct in the Halo 3 days. One game plays awesome and the other game is full of campers and nade spammers. The powe weapon layout for the map isn't good either, to many CQC weapons. Maybe replace the sword with a 2 clip sniper and remove the concusion rifle, that thing is complete garbage.

feel

WAIT, rejoining, that's some ridiculous shit! xD

finally got and pistol and then got pwned by the stupid sixaxis sticks

Bread

Banned
squidhands said:
I hate Countdown, along with basically every other non-forge map besides Zealot and the DLC maps.

Tashi0106 said:
Also, I think I give players too much credit. I assume they're going to do smart things that I would do and sometimes get burned by it. No one I've played against has used that technique in the video I posted. However, if I'm going after a guy who drops from health pack, I'll always look to make sure he's not sitting there waiting for me to drop in front of him. It never happens, they always run under the base and hide there or just go straight bottom middle. It's a bad position to chase anyway. I can see why this guy chased me though. I was absolute, he was full shields and I had their flag. He needed the quick recovery.
lol this was always my problem when playing Halo 3 right after an MLG event. All the movement the pros use doesn't work on regular players, because they're too stupid to not chase and set up well for their team.

GhaleonEB

i nerini del buio said:
I dislike any map that is primarily corridor based, and the central floor aside, that's what Countdown is. I find it fosters grenade spam like nothing else; most games revolve around teams tossing extended salvos of grenades around corners. I get blown up about every ten seconds on it.

GhaleonEB said:
I dislike any map that is primarily corridor based, and the central floor aside, that's what Countdown is. I find it fosters grenade spam like nothing else; most games revolve around teams tossing extended salvos of grenades around corners. I get blown up about every ten seconds on it.

well that's not the map's fault... no way you can design an arena map that plays good with those stupid aimassisted inconsistent overpowered grenades :/ probably the only map where frags are not annoying is hemorrage lol

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
I'll pay with you for a bit. Not only I will be using a controller, it'll be a ps3 controller (been playing PES2012 leaked pc demo all morning), this should be lulz-worthy to say the least.

Well that was fun. 360 controller beats PS3 we have learned. I may have to rent a good server and host a perm Halogaf server. lol

GhaleonEB said:
Agree. If they're taking the opportunity to reset the combat sandbox a bit, they should do so for the maps as well. Start the new trilogy fresh.
Please 343, I'm begging you guys. Bring the new awesomeness.

Tha Robbertster said:
It highly depends on what players I'm playing against much like Construct in the Halo 3 days. One game plays awesome and the other game is full of campers and nade spammers. The power weapon layout for the map isn't good either, to many CQC weapons. Maybe replace the sword with a 2 clip sniper and remove the concussion rifle, that thing is complete garbage.
I'm not a huge fan of the Concussion Rifle either, apart from Dino Blasters. ;-)

Bread said:
I hate Countdown, along with basically every other non-forge map besides Zealot and the DLC maps.
I can agree for the most part, but I've been a big fan of Powerhouse ever since the beta. It made me really excited for the quality of Reach maps, but overall I'm disappointed in how the shipping maps turned out.

feel

PsychoRaven said:
Well that was fun. 360 controller beats PS3 we have learned. I may have to rent a good server and host a perm Halogaf server. lol
:lol

The smallest tilt on the already horrible ps3 stick sent my aim into the opposite side of the room... LMAO!! Good stuff.

Halo PC, 1v1 plasma pistol starts on Longest with a Sixaxis emulating a 360 controller (with my brother sucking most of my internet connection) and I still had great fun. Reach am cry.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I don't even know what game that is.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The game has some great reviews.

Syracuse022 said:
Did you get it? What are your thoughts? Mine's out for delivery and I'm having trouble focusing at work as a result.

Some annoying load times aren't enough to stop the game being utterly full of win. Stealth feels as satisfying as combat, conversations are actually engaging, the game just carries such a rare confidence in it's characters, art design and gameplay systems.

An open sandbox box that rewards you for doing things any way you want and framed by a consistant and atmospheric universe with rich easter eggs and backstory begging to be discovered.

I'm having a blast. If you can forgive the load times and forced, non-optional boss battles (you just have to fight these bullet sponges) and tough difficulty, it's a real gem.

There's an apartment I want to break into, some dude I might want to talk to or kill or something. I can sneak in through the vent shafts found in the building's corridors that lead to the apartment. Or I can just walk up to the front door and hack the keypad and just walk right in or I can go outside, climb up a fire escape and enter via an unclosed bathroom window... or I can walk up to the wall of the apartment from the corridor and punch my way through the wall to get the dude inside without having to enter at all.

It feels like Halo's approach to combat. Here's your mission. Here's your toys. Have fun.

GhaleonEB said:
Another upside to the Timerland selection is the origin. I was and remain disappointed that the second half of Reach's DLC maps are remakes (though from the Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon they're going about them well). But I've never played Timberlands, so it might as well be a brand new map; I suspect that's the case for a lot of players who never touched the PC version. Looks great from the overview shots.

I am still surprised we didn't get something over the summer. While I have nothing against the CEA maps, I still would have liked new content as well.

Also 6 mp plus 1 ff map doesn't really seem like all that much at this point. I would have preferred maybe 2 or 3 more firefight maps at the least to equal it out.

Are the cutscenes from all the games available online on waypoint or anything? I am trying to think of ways to kill time on flights/layovers and watching all of those could be kinda fun. OT but what does wifi generally cost a person on a plane? Could I wifi tether from my phone or would that blow us up?

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
:lol

The smallest tilt on the already horrible ps3 stick sent my aim into the opposite side of the room... LMAO!! Good stuff.

Halo PC, 1v1 plasma pistol starts on Longest with a Sixaxis emulating a 360 controller (with my brother sucking most of my internet connection) and I still had great fun. Reach am cry.

Yea. It's the same way with the 360 controller. You tend to want to constantly run to the left and back. Makes it so hard to play with but when set up just like the xbox version with the 360 controller it's fun. I really wish MS would patch the game to support setting of your deadzones. That would solve all my problems with it.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've been following the game quite awhile. It came out today. I wanna get it. The question for me is when.
Just read a review of it and Dani's impressions. Sounds very good and right up my alley. One question: iron sights, are they in or out?

GhaleonEB said:
Just read a review of it and Dani's impressions. Sounds very good and right up my alley. One question: iron sights, are they in or out?
No iron sights. :) It can be played in third person or first, as far as I know.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

Optional. If you want to use them you can, if not, then don't. The game likes to tailor itself to suit the player. A lot.

Karl2177

Captain Blood said:
Are the cutscenes from all the games available online on waypoint or anything? I am trying to think of ways to kill time on flights/layovers and watching all of those could be kinda fun. OT but what does wifi generally cost a person on a plane? Could I wifi tether from my phone or would that blow us up?
HBO has all of the cutscenes in downloadable format, this way you wouldn't have to worry about wifi issues.

Captain Blood said:
Wu's got you, as usual

Dani said:
It feels like Halo's approach to combat. Here's your mission. Here's your toys. Have fun.
Jackpot. Can't wait. Does installing the game alleviate load times at all?

feel

about deus ex, I followed that game for the longest time, but got completely turned off by all the handholding and catering to modern gaming casuals I was seeing in the vids. The decisions in the levels seemed too obvious/forced and all the third person stuff felt jarring like for example it going into a cutscene when you want to stab someone instead of having proper first person melee. It has been getting high praise but it's gonna take a really great demo to win me over now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Syracuse022 said:
Jackpot. Can't wait. Does installing the game alleviate load times at all?

No idea. I'm playing the Steam version. Apparently the 360 version has the shortest loads out of the console versions. No idea about installing making any difference as the loading times are a result of the engine and how it does things. Some dudes with Solid State HD's were bitching in the OT about load times, heh.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
No iron sights. :) It can be played in third person or first, as far as I know.
Googled a gameplay trailer, they're in. Hmm. I'll need to read more. That's usually a big clue to avoid the game like the bubonic plague, but it might be an exception.

Pfff, so many games in the upcoming months I want to buy.

Halo Anniversery
Battlefield 3
Gears of War 3
Deus Ex
Skyrim
Dead island

Maybe I should get a job or something :lol
What upcoming games are you guys gonna buy?

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Googled a gameplay trailer, they're in. Hmm. I'll need to read more. That's usually a big clue to avoid the game like the bubonic plague, but it might be an exception.
Hey... Battlefield is not dog shit.

ElRenoRaven

king picollo said:
It's because you can use the code inside to get the "Halo" faceplate in Reach. You know the kids love those faceplates.

Yup. It's well worth the money though. I used to play it all the time. The last year here I've slacked off mainly because there aren't a lot of great servers left anymore and I just hate playing with keyboard and mouse and with the controller you can't set deadzones and it sucks to play with them for that reason.

GhaleonEB said:
Hm. My mistake. My apologies. Yeah, I'm not too huge on iron sights either.

This video is what sold me on the game. Because I really don't like iron sights, I'd opt for the last two approaches. It'll be really fun to explore and find alternate routes.

Edit: I've only seen a couple of videos, but I could've sworn I saw a trailer in which the guy shot a pistol without using iron sights. Maybe I'm misremembering the footage.

Tha Robbertster said:

Halo Anniversery
Battlefield 3
Gears of War 3
Deus Ex

I'll be playing the hell outta some GoW3. Campaign looks awesome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tha Robbertster said:

Halo Anniversery
Battlefield 3
Gears of War 3
Deus Ex

Anniversary and Skyward Sword for sure. My cousin also just got a 3DS and he's telling me how amazing it is. I think I might get one next month.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I've played Deus Ex: HR for about six hours already, and I've only used iron sights two or three times. It really is optional. Though, I'm going the stealth route mostly, so I guess they don't effect me too much.

Otherwise, the game is fantastic. I went into it knowing almost nothing. I didn't even know it was an FPS, hah. The story, dialogue, atmosphere, and gameplay are all brilliant. It's a really fun universe to just sink into and explore.

Gui_PT

king picollo said:
It's because you can use the code inside to get the "Halo" faceplate in Reach. You know the kids love those faceplates.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. It's well worth the money though. I used to play it all the time. The last year here I've slacked off mainly because there aren't a lot of great servers left anymore and I just hate playing with keyboard and mouse and with the controller you can't set deadzones and it sucks to play with them for that reason.

You guys are making me want to play it. But I don't think 30 euros are worth for a game that probably won't run smoothly on my computer :lol

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
You guys are making me want to play it. But I don't think 30 euros are worth for a game that probably won't run smoothly on my computer :lol

You'd be amazed. I ran Halo just fine on my crappy PCs back in the day. Sure it won't look as good but I bet you could unless your PC totally sucks.

To see how it would run google can you run it. Go there and select Halo PC. I find them to be accurate most of the time.

Gui_PT said:
Given that there is a remake coming out soon i don't think it's worth it.

Top Bottom