• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Domino Theory said:
You cannot stop people from playing the way they want, even if it's spawn-donging by extending the amount of playtime per game. Can you really blame them, though? You get a large chuck of your credits every game from the amount of time you spend in the game, so people are just finding ways to maximize their gains.

It's like complaining that someone who workouts at the gym decides to do one extra set for each exercise and incoporate a post-workout protein meal to increase their recovery. You're going to blame them because they're willing to do more and pull out all the stops to gain more muscle mass?

It's the same with people choosing to farm killstreaks or setting up shop at a specific point on a map in Call of Duty and killing enemies over and over again in Domination instead of going for the last capture point (this forces the opposing team to spawn in that general area making the 'dominating' team just set up camp and spawn dong for the rest of the game).

That's the sacrifice you make when you change the reward system from a per-win basis (Halo 2, Halo 3) to a per-kill basis (every shooter in the market today). That's not to say that I don't like the current reward system; I love XP/cR-based systems, I'm just saying that spawn donging, dragging out games, etc., comes with the territory.

Casual Halo player: "woah I just got 1500 cR for that last game, cool!"
Hardcore friend: "you know how you could get 2500 cR for the next game?"
Casual Halo player: "how???"
Hardcore friend: "make the game last longer"
Casual Halo player: "that's it??"
Hardcore friend: "yup"
Casual Halo player: "kk let's make it last longer then! more credits, w00t!"

It's actually more advantageous in earning credits to finish objective games quickly. You get more goes at the slot machine.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
I really would have no problem with it, it has happened to me a few times, I remember a game on Hemo where we only had 3 people, and the randy quit. Were were waped for the entire match, we didn't quit though.

I will say this, if you're getting that done to you on a regular basis, I personally would just find a new game. I'm not going to play something I can't be semi competitive in 90% of the time. I can already tell you that if I didn't have a solid 3 to play this with, I would have quit months ago, I do not find the game fun by myself, and I can't imagine most of the people we play every night (mostly lone wolves) are having much fun either.

I totally understand your guy's viewpoint on the subject, I just see it differently, that's all.

You are letting your personal preferences affect your sportsmanship to other players. You should seriously take a long hard look at your position if you are telling me that if people can't deal with having the flag held on them that they should quit playing Reach. At that point I don't think we will ever come to common ground.

Domino Theory said:

It's been touched on before but it doesn't work out to more credits because of the slot machine. And besides, the credits are not the main motivator for this behavior.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Oh, well in that case you're a fucking genius!

I think that CEA will be the last maps for Reach. With Halo 4 coming in 12 months maximum from the release of CEA, and with those maps slated for standalone DLC release in probably February (just my guess), I don't see more maps coming.
I can see one more map pack coming, that is it though.

Striker said:
Assuming we get a BTB map or two, I would hope there's a possible DLC restriction in its case. There's already Highlands in the mix from the Defiant pack.

Otherwise, what's the point? Trident and Wayont would show up all the time and not the DLC. Premium Battle being the home for it all wouldn't exactly be appeasing.

Yeah the lack of DLC in matchmaking right now is awful, and I can't honestly recommend the DLC to people because they won't find it in matchmaking.

I really hope that a DLC search restriction is added in the TU alongside skill, connection, and language. I would happily wait longer for games if I actually got to play the maps I paid for.

Butane123

GhaleonEB said:
I wandered into BTB last night because I no longer connect well to Firefight games, and three of the four were actually good. I was shocked. Two even had the kind of surreal vehicular shenanegans I haven't seen since Halo 3.
Yeah, Wayont, Trident, and Utopi kinda give me that old BTB vibe. Utopi could get rid of the Banshee though...

Now I just wish more people would incorporate Falcons into their BTB maps.

EDIT:

Mojo said:
Has it been confirmed there will be Halo 2 map(s) with CEA?
Aside from Beaver Creek as opposed to the actual Battle Creek... no.

Mojo said:

I believe they've officially stated maps from Halo: CE, 2, and 3...at least, I think I read that somewhere.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah the lack of DLC in matchmaking right now is awful, and I can't honestly recommend the DLC to people because they won't find it in matchmaking.

I really hope that a DLC search restriction is added in the TU alongside skill, connection, and language. I would happily wait longer for games if I actually got to play the maps I paid for.

Not digging the Premium lists?

Mojo said:

Well technically Beaver Creek is the map for Battle/Beaver so that is from Halo 2, but its a Halo 1 remake so I'm not sure if that counts. As for straight Halo 2 maps, there has been no word on it.

HiredN00bs said:
I believe they've officially stated maps from Halo: CE, 2, and 3.

You sure about that?

Mojo said:

Well it looks like we're getting Beaver Creek instead of Battle Creek, if that counts.

From the comments made it sounds like another Halo 2 map or two could be a possibility.

Halo 1
Hang em High
Damnation
Mysterious Firefight map from Campaign

Halo PC
Timberland

Halo 2
Beaver Creek

So there are still 2 maps to be revealed. I would imagine at least one of them is from Halo 2, especially considering bs angel's comment about "no fall damage" being added in the Title Update when it's not a big deal on Beaver Creek. Personally I'm pulling for Headlong, especially if it doubles as a human Forge World.

I'd be surprised if any Halo 3 maps are included, with the excuse that you can still play them online.

ElRenoRaven

Oh god. Let's not go back to the fighting about how they play the damn game. We've been doing so well today.

Also I can't believe I read that entire other thread. This new video looked smooth as hell. I saw no slowdowns. At the same time the game isn't perfect. This we can all agree. For one I do agree with the crowd that wants it intact 100 percent. That's sadly not going to happen. So in that case I have to look at what I'm getting for the price. I am getting Halo 1 campaign intact with new graphics, rerecorded soundtrack, cleaned up audio. This campaign will have online co-op that holds true to the original's two player co-op. It will also include terminals, skulls, and other goodies. At the same time as all this we get 6 multiplayer maps and a firefight map. These alone would cost 20 dollars at least if they were dlc. So this makes the rest of the game 20 bucks in value. So for 40 bucks I'm getting a great deal. I'd gladly pay 60 for complete multiplayer intact though. I can't say that enough.

So after rambling. Their nuts and it's going to be worth the 40 bucks.

Sai-kun

Banned
thewesker said:
According to B.net, those are the only two playlists that have Stockpile.

Wait....:lol really? I was just about to say that you should check b.net to see, because SWAT stockpile makes no sense to me. I've only ever seen Stockpile pop up in Objective and Action Sack, I think

thewesker said:
Gad, I hope not. Leave that garbage out of Reach.

Expand on your point please, I don't think I understand why you would say that considering the state of the maps in reach at the moment.

When Halo 4 rolls around and people are discussing remakes for that I quite honestly would have your opinion about Reach maps in that. I honestly cant think of a single Reach map I enjoy playing except for maybe the DLC ones which have been an improvement.

Timberland - Wait this has been confirmed as a remake map? It would be interesting to see this in Reach.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:

They could apply the DLC label to BTB and Squad Slayer (or Arena). Not a necessity for all, like it basically was for Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

Butane123 said:
Yeah, Wayont, Trident, and Utopi kinda give me that old BTB vibe. Utopi could get rid of the Banshee though...
Fittingly enough, Utopie was the one bad game, Neutral Bomb and no one knew where it spawned or how to get to it. We were quickly pinned in our base by two circling Warthogs and Banshee spawn camping us. Yay.
I quit after the Banshee started spawn camping and it was clear what the team was up to. I'm not a plant to be harvested for credits.

Butane123

thewesker said:
According to B.net, those are the only two playlists that have Stockpile.
Stockpile never seemed to be too popular, so their chance of actually occurring in matchmaking are very slim.

The stockpile achievements in the defiant pack can be gotten through custom games, though.

senador

Banned
HiredN00bs said:
Not digging the Premium lists?

I've been playing Premium Slayer lately to mix things up, and it kinda sucks. A few of the maps are too large for 75 point games with 5v5, and the time runs out first many times. The playlist seems to be full of high ranking dudes that play as a party and dominate my team. I've noticed a lot of high rank guys exploit maps (hide in weird areas), and run a lot. Its gets annoying.

I need more GAF friends. GT: SenadorKooch Please add me, post GTs, or PM 'em to me.

Fake Edit: Do the DLC maps payout higher credits? I seem to get more when I play them. Maybe its just the longer games and higher slots in the list, but its noticeable.

Butane123 said:
Stockpile never seemed to be too popular, so their chance of actually occurring in matchmaking are very slim.

The stockpile achievements in the defiant pack can be gotten through custom games, though.

That's like one of the only ones I need. Don't you have to have the gametype variant from matchmaking though? How do you do it in customs?

bobs99 ... said:
Expand on your point please, I don't think I understand why you would say that considering the state of the maps in reach at the moment.

When Halo 4 rolls around and people are discussing remakes for that I quite honestly would have your opinion about Reach maps in that. I honestly cant think of a single Reach map I enjoy playing except for maybe the DLC ones which have been an improvement.
Admittedly, I am partial because I think Halo 2 was the worst Halo game so far but I think Reach just has the most maps that cater to my play style. I don't really know how else to say it.

Burial Grounds was the only map that has ever made me chuck a controller at the wall. It was a duke too, you should see the crater!

Butane123 said:

I'm trying for the Noble one.

Kujo

ncsuDuncan said:
Personally I'm pulling for Headlong, especially if it doubles as a human Forge World.
On one hand I'd want Headlong or Waterworks, but on the other I'd probably prefer if they waited till Halo 4 to remake them and have them on disc

GhaleonEB said:
Fittingly enough, Utopie was the one bad game
Worst BTB map

PsychoRaven said:
Oh god. Let's not go back to the fighting about how they play the damn game. We've been doing so well today.

Also I can't believe I read that entire other thread. This new video looked smooth as hell. I saw no slowdowns. At the same time the game isn't perfect. This we can all agree. For one I do agree with the crowd that wants it intact 100 percent. That's sadly not going to happen. So in that case I have to look at what I'm getting for the price. I am getting Halo 1 campaign intact with new graphics, rerecorded soundtrack, cleaned up audio. This campaign will have online co-op that holds true to the original's two player co-op. It will also include terminals, skulls, and other goodies. At the same time as all this we get 6 multiplayer maps and a firefight map. These alone would cost 20 dollars at least if they were dlc. So this makes the rest of the game 20 bucks in value. So for 40 bucks I'm getting a great deal. I'd gladly pay 60 for complete multiplayer intact though. I can't say that enough.

So after rambling. Their nuts and it's going to be worth the 40 bucks.

I can only speak for myself, but there are some pretty amazing games coming out around the same time for probably just a slightly higher price-point. The newer games will also have totally fresh campaigns and solid multiplayer components. As much as you can justify paying $40 for Halo CE remake, against the competition the pricepoint needs to be lower to be attractive. Right now not much about Halo CE attracts me, considering I dont like Reach MP as much and I dont really want to pay so much for the campaign again.

Tawpgun

Oh man. Whenenver I go over to Halo Threads on the gaming side I'm in a perpetual state of facepalm.

Also, are we still on this objective slaying crap? really? I honestly can't comprehend why this is such a big deal ffs. I've said we NEVER do this. That was the exception. Goddamn.

Butane123 said:

Yes, but my experience was that you needed to pull a matchmaking gametype/map from your recent files.

Also, isn't Speedpile one of the available variants? It would be impossible to get the achievement in that variant.

I'm sure 343i will add Stockpile somewhere after they take control of MM. Achievements are important to Microsoft.

Butane123

GhaleonEB said:
Fittingly enough, Utopie was the one bad game, Neutral Bomb and no one knew where it spawned or how to get to it. We were quickly pinned in our base by two circling Warthogs and Banshee spawn camping us. Yay.
I quit after the Banshee started spawn camping and it was clear what the team was up to. I'm not a plant to be harvested for credits.
The last time I played Utopie was with neutral bomb. Our whole team had the same problem with the bomb spawn. Until I went into Forge and looked at it, I didn't even know where it spawned.

And one random guy on our team went on a 35+ spree with the Banshee.... yeah, it should be removed or replaced with a Falcon.

wwm0nkey

Mojo said:
On one hand I'd want Headlong or Waterworks, but on the other I'd probably prefer if they waited till Halo 4 to remake them and have them on disc

Worst BTB map
No remakes for Halo 4, I want all original maps and I want Certain Affinity to help on all of them as well!

(besides we know we will eventually get Halo 2 Anniversary so why bother remaking Halo 2 maps?)

Kujo

wwm0nkey said:
besides we know we will eventually get Halo 2 Anniversary so why bother remaking Halo 2 maps?
Even if we do get that at some point, they're not remaking all the H1 maps for CEA, we might only get half for a H2A. Unless it's just a straight port of the whole game, and in that case I'd like to see some maps with a new coat of paint.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
You are letting your personal preferences affect your sportsmanship to other players. You should seriously take a long hard look at your position if you are telling me that if people can't deal with having the flag held on them that they should quit playing Reach. At that point I don't think we will ever come to common ground.

It's been touched on before but it doesn't work out to more credits because of the slot machine. And besides, the credits are not the main motivator for this behavior.

Quite frankly, in a videogame that I paid money for, my personal preference is all that matters to me.

I've never even held an objective on someone, is there a difference between holding it and not actively pursuing it because the other team refuses to leave their base? I see this more than anything, if a team is just going to turtle in their base all game, then I see nothing wrong with getting a cap and then punishing them for playing that way. That's just my opinion on it, you can have a different one, but it's laughable to sit there and tell me to take a long hard look at how I choose to waste my time on a game. I'm not trying to convert you into thinking the way I do, just saying it's not as cut and dry as you all make it out to be. There's a million factors as to why someone might choose to drag out a game at some point, frustration with the game probably being the biggest one. That doesn't mean they do it every game though.

Ramirez said:
Quite frankly, in a videogame that I paid money for, my personal preference is all that matters to me.

This is such a fallacy, because we all payed money for the game and for the paid network we play on. Xbox LIVE is a community using a shared resource, and all manner of antisocial and detrimental behavior can be rationalized with "it's my game, I payed for it". See my pick-up basketball game example.

wwm0nkey

Mojo said:
Even if we do get that at some point, they're not remaking all the H1 maps for CEA, we might only get half for a H2A. Unless it's just a straight port of the whole game, and in that case I'd like to see some maps with a new coat of paint.
I am sure 343i acknowledges Halo 2 would be next to nothing without the online play, Halo 2 Anniversary would NEED to have its original online in tact to sell well.

To be honest though Halo 2's online mode would be a PERFECT fit for Xbox Live Arcade, that is why I was pushing it so hard because it would make a lot more sense to just do Halo 2 on XBLA.

Holy sweet mother of Jesus jumping on a pogo stick, I just caught up to the thread. What the fuck. :lol

wwm0nkey said:
I am sure 343i acknowledges Halo 2 would be next to nothing without the online play, Halo 2 Anniversary would NEED to have its original online in tact to sell well.

To be honest though Halo 2's online mode would be a PERFECT fit for Xbox Live Arcade, that is why I was pushing it so hard because it would make a lot more sense to just do Halo 2 on XBLA.
And then they'd take out the buttom combos and the Civil War would flare up again.

wwm0nkey said:

The shit netcode would need a tune up.

Karl2177

So swag pictures? The image links to the album. I got a folder with random Bungie comics/drawings of employees working towards world domination and some getting their head chopped off.

The Noble achievement is a pain. The best way to do it was go in full party in Objective, pray for Hemo, and hold the flags until you had all four. Now that neither of those are in Objective that method is impossible. I'd say your best bet is in BTB.

Ramirez

Looks like the 2nd run of swag bags were less than stellar, glad I kept my money. Really after the guy who got the concept art, anything less would have been a letdown, heh.

Kujo

wwm0nkey said:
I'd like that too, but in that case they probably wouldn't revamp any of the maps and I don't know how big the population will be after say 6 months for an XBLA release as opposed to H4 or something.

wwm0nkey said:

I would have argued that Halo CE became a lan favorite and it would be amazing of them to let us finally experience that over live.

The same reasons Halo 1 didnt get xbl play are probably going to be the nail in the coffin for a H2 remake. :( - Splitting the userbase etc Personally I would love H2 with live, but I just dont see it happening.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
The shit netcode would need a tune up.
Well obviously they would tune up the netcode lol

Seriously though Halo 2 can easily be relaunched as a downloadable title and I would be 100% fine with it.

Halo 2 PC needs a relaunch as the community is dead. This can easily be done by
-Fix KB+M acceleration issue
-allow for custom resolution
-Add ranked MM in
-Put on Steam and GFWL for $15

Halo 2 on XBLA would be an easy sell as well and honestly could just be a port of Halo 2 PC but with MM
-All maps+PC maps
-server browser for custom games
-Better netcode
(maybe even add the ability for cross game between PC and Xbox in custom games)

Wait, so what if there's one more DLC pack after CEA? Would it be made by Certain Affinity?

If so, I think it would be interesting to add up these numbers:

# of Reach maps made by Bungie : # of Reach maps made by Certain Affinity
(see also # of Reach maps made by the Community just for kicks)

# of Reach maps that are completely original : # of Reach maps that are direct remakes of previous Halo maps

I'm not trying to prove a point or anything, I just think it would be an interesting set of numbers to see. Whatever the results, there's a perfectly good reason, i.e. the Bungie -> 343 transition and the adaptability of Forge World.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I would have argued that Halo CE became a lan favorite and it would be amazing of them to let us finally experience that over live.

The same reasons Halo 1 didnt get xbl play are probably going to be the nail in the coffin for a H2 remake. :( - Splitting the userbase etc Personally I would love H2 with live, but I just dont see it happening.

It'd be more feasible to have Halo 2 multiplayer brought back as it was already "internet aware" in that it already uses asynch networking.

The big issue with Halo 1 is you cannot have it be 1:1 with the original experience because the original game uses lockstep networking. So you either decide to piss off the people that wanted "halo 1 but over live" exactly like the original by making the needed changes for it to function in an asynch world, or piss off new players by limiting the max unique boxes in any game to 4, because you are NOT going to be doing 16 player lockstep networking. You'd have 5 second input lag.

Perfect Dark XBLA got online working even though the original multi was splitscreen only by shutting off physics objects in online mode. You can't quite get away with that in Halo 1.

And then you add in the fact that for online to even be functional you'd have to seal off all the maps, and now you piss off all the people that bitch that the maps are no longer 1:1.

Honestly, leaving multiplayer out of Anniversary is the best move with those kinds of options.

Karl2177 said:
You just Hitmonlee'd Hitmonchan in the balls.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

In case Hitmonchan is reading this and bawling his eyes out, I was referring to publications such as IGN that show a complete lack of knowledge about the very games they are covering, not Hitmonchan's excellent HBO barrage of news from all sorts of corners of the web.

Top Bottom