• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Havok

Striker said:
Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Ivory Tower, Turf, Terminal, Relic were great for 4v4. WTF happened to asymmetrical Halo maps. :(
Can't make all our sweet gametypez work with them. Make them 3-4 times bigger than they should be, say they're for Invasion and put them where they don't belong anyway. Ship it.

Headhunter on Boneyard. You love it, don't argue.

Striker said:
Didn't we see the dirt hills for Beaver Creek already? I swore in clips they've released showed it.

They put alot of Halo Reach and Halo 3 maps to shame. Look how many medium size, symmetrical maps we've had in these two games. Standoff and Tempest can relate, but I still rather have Colossus than either of those two. Too many spawn issues on each.

And how many fun 1-flag/1-bomb games in them? Outside Reflection and High Ground, I can't think of any others that standout.

Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Ivory Tower, Turf, Terminal, Relic were great for 4v4. WTF happened to asymmetrical Halo maps. :(

Was never a fan of Zanzibar. Bad memories of being stuck on the beach.

Tunavi

Banned
senador said:
What about killing the premium lists, and making Squad DLC required?
Premium slayer is ruined by armor lock. It would be awesome if it had squad slayer settings.
Premium Battle needs to stay. It's awesome when you have a party of 6.
Squad slayer is fine without DLC.

blamite

Plywood said:
Dear 343i, please save your Terminal remake for Halo 4, I can wait.
I agree. Maps like Terminal, Zanzibar, Waterworks, etc. would just be wasted on Reach, especially as DLC that you'd never get to play.

senador

Banned
Tunavi said:
Premium slayer is ruined by armor lock. It would be awesome if it had squad slayer settings.
Premium Battle needs to stay. It's awesome when you have a party of 6.
Squad slayer is fine without DLC.

I just took a walk to the bathroom and thought about it there. ;)

Yes, I would love for both Premium lists to have Squad settings/loadouts.

My idea wouldn't work since 5v5 on some of those maps wouldn't work well.

Bah, dammit DLC. :(

MrBig said:
Pretty much. Geometry was matched from the trailer and one of OWV's comments semi-reinforced it.

Ah, I must have missed the OWV comments.

blamite said:
I agree. Maps like Terminal, Zanzibar, Waterworks, etc. would just be wasted on Reach, especially as DLC that you'd never get to play.

They'd also be remade in forge more than likely and suffer from frame rate loss, disproportions and different sight lines.

Dunno if it's just me, but after the Anniversary Remake Map Pack comes out, I for one will probably be burned out on remakes. I'd much rather have new, original maps. But I guess one or two remakes wouldn't hurt for Halo 4.

Dax01 said:
Dunno if it's just me, but after the Anniversary Remake Map Pack comes out, I for one will probably be burned out on remakes. I'd much rather have new, original maps. But I guess one or two remakes wouldn't hurt for Halo 4.
Its be nice if series' were treated as platforms. New entries in the series should always include all of the historical maps by default.

This could even be packaged as a code in retail copies as an incentive to buy new, which is what Gears of War 2 did with its throwback map pack.

Everybody wins.

Dax01 said:

I would love original maps if they could be trusted to make them with the same priorities and logic as those of Halo 1/2. Proper sight lines, ways to bounce nades into upper levels from spawning areas so you're not completely fucked if they have top levels covered and good flow, so it doesn't seem like a maze in which you just chase the other team around.

Dax01 said:

My problem with new maps is that lately, they are awful. Remakes of good maps are at least going to be decent.

Havok

Devolution said:
I would love original maps if they could be trusted to make them with the same priorities and logic as those of Halo 1/2. Proper sight lines, ways to bounce nades into upper levels from spawning areas so you're not completely fucked if they have top levels covered and good flow, so it doesn't seem like a maze in which you just chase the other team around.
Yep. Original maps are great, but the problem is that you can't get a quality guarantee, whereas with (most) remakes, you get the great gameplay without the risk of making another Isolation, Gemini, or Boneyard. Bad remakes like Last Resort need not apply. The DLC efforts have been promising, though - I think Anchor 9 could be the best Reach map if not for the space section.

Devolution said:
See, but "they" isn't Bungie anymore. It's 343. We don't know how good 343 will be at making MP maps.

Edit: But either way considered, remakes would be the safer route.

Dax01 said:
See, but "they" isn't Bungie anymore. It's 343. We don't know how good 343 will be at making MP maps.

I understand that but they can still design with the same mentality if they really want to. If they don't, welcome to more shitty new maps.

Dax01 said:

Edit: But either way considered, remakes would be the safer route.
I see 343 absolutely excelling at their campaign/story modes, while their multiplayer maps will probably only be as good as bungie's by comparison--not that that's a bad thing, of course.

All I know is that 343i shouldn't be afraid to take a few steps back and make things more simple. Zanzibar was a lot more fun to play than Last Resort. And maybe don't overflow with gametypes if it's going to stretch the quality of map selection thin like is the case in Reach.

Basically a concentration on the fundamentals to be as close to perfect as possible before branching off and seeing what else you can add.

Rickenslacker said:
All I know is that 343i shouldn't be afraid to take a few steps back and make things more simple. Zanzibar was a lot more fun to play than Last Resort. And maybe don't overflow with gametypes if it's going to stretch the quality of map selection thin like is the case in Reach.

Basically a concentration on the fundamentals to be as close to perfect as possible before branching off and seeing what else you can add.

I just hope for some more intuitive spawning. And edits when needed for objective games. A lot of the objective stuff seems tacked on. As in they didn't bother thinking about spawn zones, spawn times or loadouts. I mean hell they put the damn shield in with objective games at the start.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
I was going to say if it could boil down to 4 remakes from each numbered Halo game and of course have the maps picked by the fans, that'd be sweet. But then I realized while making my list most of it was comprised of H2 maps and it went over my limit of 4, here's the list anyway:

Halo 1:

Wizard
Sidewinder

Halo 2:

Lockout
Waterworks
Terminal
Headlong
Sanctuary
Turf
Relic

Halo 3:
Guardian
Rat's Nest

Havok

Rickenslacker said:

Cannot be said enough. The series has core strengths that shouldn't be put on hold unless you want to end up with a bunch of middle-of-the-road maps that aren't really great for anything, but aren't particularly offensive. Last Resort is a good example - too big for 4v4, too small for 8v8, without a decent 6v6 playlist in sight (and maybe the worst base design in series history). Adding new stuff is great, and should absolutely happen, but only after the core is at the level that it needs to be.

The thing about making new gametypes is that with Forge, you can do them without much issue as long as you do it right. Stockpile would have been a great fun time for all if it had just been on Countdown, Zealot, etc. Symmetric maps, without one team having this stupidly obvious advantage, as with Powerhouse and Sword Base.

kylej

Banned
Trasher said:
I would go to PAX East just to see this. It would be comforting knowing someone else is there that loves Walshy just as much as I do. Hopefully he'd be there so we could get our Gunnar's signed.

I went to the first PAX East and there was a gigantic Gunnar Optiks bus on the show floor filled with C-list pro gamers. Not a Walshy to be found. Disappointing.

Dax01 said:
I dunno, HaloGAF. Maybe I should start driving around with Halo bumper stickers to see if random people get randomly pissed off at that too!

When I had my previous car, I put an Obama sticker on the rear passenger window close to my gas flap. I woke up one morning to see someone had tried to peel the sticker off, failed, so he just grabbed the gas flap and ripped it off the hinges. As a car enthusiast it was like someone molested my child...

Plywood said:
I was going to say if it could boil down to 4 remakes from each numbered Halo game and of course have the maps picked by the fans, that'd be sweet. But then I realized while making my list most of it was comprised of H2 maps and it went over my limit of 4, here's the list anyway:

-list-
I'd limit it to two each, six rather than twelve. Going off Halo 2 and 3, let's say the average number of maps is 24. Twelve is half of that, and I think that's too many remakes.

kylej said:
When I had my previous car, I put an Obama sticker on the rear passenger window close to my gas flap. I woke up one morning to see someone had tried to peel the sticker off, failed, so he just grabbed the gas flap and ripped it off the hinges. As a car enthusiast it was like someone molested my child...
lol.

Trasher

kylej said:
I went to the first PAX East and there was a gigantic Gunnar Optiks bus on the show floor filled with C-list pro gamers. Not a Walshy to be found. Disappointing.
C-list? Gross! That's like a bus filled of Tashis. Do not want.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:
Its be nice if series' were treated as platforms. New entries in the series should always include all of the historical maps by default.

This could even be packaged as a code in retail copies as an incentive to buy new, which is what Gears of War 2 did with its throwback map pack.

Everybody wins.

You know that would be original for a FPS and a nice thing to see happen. Imagine never having to worry about remakes again. You just import your maps from the previous games and go. Course my money is that this is almost totally 100 percent impossible unless they were to make a port of every map ever made first for whichever game would be the first to add such a feature. From there you could just import those maps along with the other games as time goes on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
I'd limit it to two each, six rather than twelve. Going off Halo 2 and 3, let's say the average number of maps is 24. Twelve is half of that, and I think that's too many remakes.

lol.
Then my list would be:

Lockout
Waterworks
Terminal
Headlong
Sanctuary
Turf

Well regardless I hope there's a healthy amount of maps at launch.

PsychoRaven said:
You know that would be original for a FPS and a nice thing to see happen. Imagine never having to worry about remakes again. You just import your maps from the previous games and go. Course my money is that this is almost totally 100 percent impossible unless they were to make a port of every map ever made first for whichever game would be the first to add such a feature. From there you could just import those maps along with the other games as time goes on.
Well like I said, Gears 2 did it, and I'd like to see that become a trend. You reward new sales with a bolstered map count and provide veterans of your game with familiar surroundings they'd probably clamor for anyway.

The only problem is that it doesn't screw over the playerbase enough to be realistic in this day and age.

Plywood said:
Then my list would be:

Lockout
Waterworks
Terminal
Headlong
Sanctuary
Turf

Well regardless I hope there's a healthy amount of maps at launch.

Right now the one remake im jonesing for is The Pit. Guardian has served me well in Customs since Halo 3 has been out so I would love to see that, but the problem is in the remake the flow would be totally different. This goes for all remakes.

I really hope Halo 4 sticks to Spiritual Successors and mostly new maps. I want maybe 2 remakes tops. DLC can fill in the craving for remakes.

Devolution said:
I just hope there are no remakes of Reach maps. lol.

As bad as it sounds Reach maps would be a total turn off lol. Im with you on that one.

Havok

NullPointer said:
Well like I said, Gears 2 did it, and I'd like to see that become a trend. You reward new sales with a bolstered map count and provide veterans of your game with familiar surroundings they'd probably clamor for anyway.

The only problem is that it doesn't screw over the playerbase enough to be realistic in this day and age.
Yeah, it's a nice nod to people buying the game, but I think that was probably a one-time occurrence in this industry. Online passes are an easier way to encourage new sales, there's no business reason for them to give away content when they could take it away instead.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
I just hope there are no remakes of Reach maps. lol.

Spire remake please with even longer weird elevator ride to the top purple thing. And more empty space at the back of the map. Sequels always need more, and I think Spire is a prime candidate for the next Halo game.

kylej said:
Spire remake please with even longer weird elevator ride to the top purple thing. And more empty space at the back of the map. Sequels always need more, and I think Spire is a prime candidate for the next Halo game.

NO YOU FOOL. Don't even put that idea out into the universe.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

kylej said:

I hope they remakes spire and make it amazing.

just to spite you lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Maybe for the next one the thread title will stick.
Nonsense, it should be updated often to reflect the opinions of the authority on Neogaf.
A27_StarWolf said:
I hope they remakes spire and make it amazing.

just to spite you lol.
A27_StarWolf
Worst ideas ever.
(Today, 06:42 PM)
Reply | Quote

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
Yeah, it's a nice nod to people buying the game, but I think that was probably a one-time occurrence in this industry. Online passes are an easier way to encourage new sales, there's no business reason for them to give away content when they could take it away instead.

Exactly. Sadly it won't happen because that's less maps that they can screw you over with by re-releasing as DLC packs later on. And as said why do that when you can just lock them out of shit they paid for. Sad as that is it's true.

MrBig

Letters said:
Downloading a 578MB version of that new CEA clip

quality should be decent lol
What is this encoded in? I can't even open it in VLC, and adobe media encoder doesn't recognize it.

Top Bottom