• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Kujo

Has anyone played the Metroid Prime games? I'd like a Halo title that plays out like that.

Like ODST but more fleshed out

Havok

Sai-kun said:
Fake Edit: Are people really trashing the graphics? What the hell?
Agreed. That video assuaged any doubts I had about the announcement trailer's graphical style. It looks like what I'd want Halo to look like nowadays. Hell, it's what Halo CE looks like in my head, however wildly nostalgia'd that may be.

Slight "Anniversary" nitpick: I don't like how dark the HUD display is and how the HUD elements don't have bright outlines.

The HUD morphs back to the classic "CE" display when you scope in with the pistol, though.

Sai-kun

Banned
lybertyboy said:
The area with the sleeping grunts in AotCR has never been more terrifying.

Grunts are the most powerful weapon in the game confirmed. :D Omg. Hype.

Havok said:
Agreed. That video assuaged any doubts I had about the announcement trailer's graphical style. It looks like what I'd want Halo to look like nowadays. Hell, it's what Halo CE looks like in my head, however wildly nostalgia'd that may be.

Yeah, I don't get it. It'll never look as amazing as Battlefield 3, but I don't want CE to look like that. CE was very very colorful (especially silent cartographer), and it's really awesome to see that 343 kept that style and ran with it. I think the style look fucking cool.

Hey You said:
Why would that piss off retailers? GoD just basically another retailer.
Why would you drive to Gamestop/Walmart on release day if you could download the game at home?

What if this past weekend movie studios let you pay $10 to watch Harry Potter 7 pt. 2 at home on your Xbox? Do you think the movie theaters would be okay with that?

Microsoft needs to maintain healthy distribution deals with retail chains like Walmart, they want that shelf space pushing hardware. If they started releasing all games day and date over GoD at equal prices Walmart would take a huge hit in game sales and would pull 360s from the shelves.

Trust me, Gamestop execs hate Steam with a passion. They're having a hard enough time without Microsoft and Sony cutting down brick and mortar game sales too.

Hey You

FyreWulff said:
No, I think I got confused by an HBO post made by a 343 employee. Up is left! Down is backwards!

Also it turns out idlers are not amused by being pushed off cliffs
ajp3ba.png

:(

Gui_PT

PsychoRaven said:
Oh screw that. Sorry nothing against you but I'm not going through the bullshit that is lowering your weapon.

It takes 3 minutes to do the whole thing. Help the guy out, come on

Hey You

ncsuDuncan said:
Why would you drive to Gamestop/Walmart on release day if you could download the game at home?

What if this past weekend movie studios let you pay $10 to watch Harry Potter 7 pt. 2 at home on your Xbox? Do you think the movie theaters would be okay with that?

Microsoft needs to maintain healthy distribution deals with retail chains like Walmart, they want that shelf space pushing hardware. If they started releasing all games day and date over GoD at equal prices Walmart would take a huge hit in game sales and would pull 360s from the shelves.

Trust me, Gamestop execs hate Steam with a passion. They're having a hard enough time without Microsoft and Sony cutting down brick and mortar game sales too.
Pre-order bonuses maybe.

You can't really pre-order ahead of time on Games on Demand, so no "Pre-order" bonuses, but I guess I can see why now.

Risen

ncsuDuncan said:

I'd definitely pay a LOT of money to be able to stay home and DL a game I love on release day at 12am rather than stand in line at GameStop with 15 yr olds who badly need a bath.

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:
There was one version where the shield indicator was on the reticle.
A bit late, but I thought it was the ammo count displayed (similar to the shield) on the HUD.

Risen said:
I'd definitely pay a LOT of money to be able to stay home and DL a game I love on release day at 12am rather than stand in line at GameStop with 15 yr olds who badly need a bath.
It's fun to bring a friend and bring a can of whoopass at the LANs they usually have.

GhaleonEB said:
This is also the reason I laugh at demos for racing games and shooters that are gesture based. The only way to make it work is to build in so many assists that your actions are only semi-consequntial, as with all the Kinect Adventures games. You can stand there and flounder around like a fish and do great. But in a shooter, if I get killed once because the game didn't read my intended gesture correctly, that's a deal breaker. I don't want to play games that fail like that, and I don't want to play games that have all the fail safes and asists built in to make it work.

I couldn't agree more. What's been your experience using it as a media controller? Do you have Dance Central? Children of Eden?

Tawpgun

PsychoRaven said:
Oh screw that. Sorry nothing against you but I'm not going through the bullshit that is lowering your weapon.
Switch Network to Local. Push down like 5 buttons for 2 seconds. Pose. Theater. Screenshot. Tag photo11.

<5 minutes.

TOO MUCH WORK.

feel

Wow Ghaleon, it puzzled me why you in particular hated Kinect with such passion (rest of halogaf, not so much), being open minded like you usually are and very close to your daughters, always looking to share fun experiences with them and all. Now I see. That seriously sucks, but did you consider trading your unit for a replacement? Not saying it should be perfect, but it seems seriously faulty from how you describe, under recomended room conditions it should at least work. My nephews (aged between 3 and 7) have a blast when they come over and it tracks them more than fine, and at the mall I see the little kids get tracked decently too on those non properly calibrated demo units. Sucks seeing your family missing out not because of personal choice, but because it simply doesn't work for you guys, Kinect Fruit Ninja for example, looks like it will some great silly fun!

And to whoever mentioned a skull that doubles or triples the amount of enemies througout the levels: YEESSSS! that's one I would really like. Even though Halo 1 has plenty of combat in each level (the other Halos could really use this skull), the more the better. Sorry about not recalling who posted that, can't find the post on my cell, maybe it was in one of the other threads.

edit- I'm joining in on that group pic, wasn't gonna be part of it because it is Reach (sad I missed out on the h3 one) but I will be using that reach spartan in classic++ afterall

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Switch Network to Local. Push down like 5 buttons for 2 seconds. Pose. Theater. Screenshot. Tag photo11.

<5 minutes.

TOO MUCH WORK.

DAT CLAWHAND

I'm going to do it. Do you have to hold it down, or is it like toggle on/off?

Also, SMH at the CEA thread. "I love Halo, but down with Halo. Yeah fuck 343 and Halo! Burn them! I am the biggest Halo fan though." That's the vibe I get.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
That does suck, now imagine you join a game and get spawn killed for 20 minutes.

But I've just spent two hours with people quitting in every game, by that point I really don't care about the other teams feelings.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
But I've just spent two hours with people quitting in every game, by that point I really don't care about the other teams feelings.

No, no, I am saying imagine instead of quitters you get spawn trapped by a better team who run the clock on you. You would be the one going -38 or whatever.

Sai-kun

Banned
stephen08 said:
No, no, I am saying imagine instead of quitters you get spawn trapped by a better team who run the clock on you. You would be the one going -38 or whatever.

No, I would be quitting.

Mojo said:
Has anyone played the Metroid Prime games? I'd like a Halo title that plays out like that.

Like ODST but more fleshed out

Metroid Prime games are amazing. I would love a campaign structure like that.

Gabo´s Palace said:
Will the CEA maps be avaliable in other playlist aside from classic++?
I am pretty sure that the CEA maps will be integrated into all playlists. They do after all become the best maps in the game the instant they come out. We'll get to rely on our trusty DLC algorithm to get them to come up in matchmaking though ;(

As for Kinect, I think its a really cool tech, and I use the voice commands for media controls all the time, but it shouldn't be used to throw grenades in Halo, and thankfully 343 realizes that.

Risen said:
So would I, and that's why Steam is doing so well with PC digital distribution.

The problem is that Microsoft isn't a software-only company like Valve. They have to sell you an Xbox first, and the current console generation started before digital distribution had taken off.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen consoles are more focused on DD, with giant hard drives being the standard. (I'd be incredibly disappointed if there was another console without a bundled HD, I think the Xbox Core/Arcade SKUs were a terrible decision that hurt game developers. Just look at all the hurdles Bungie had to overcome to make Halo 3 and Reach work both with and without HDs.)

But that's all looking forward, the distribution agreements have already been made and Microsoft can't circumvent them now, from what I can tell.

Halo 5 included on every Super Xbox 720 hard drive at launch. Believe.

Kujo

If I get spawn trapped (mainly Hemo/Utopie) I just hide somewhere until the match ends. I rarely go minus even if that does happen. Problem usually is getting out of that first loop where the game insists on spawning you in the same spot 5 times until it realises maybe inside a base would be better...

ncsuDuncan said:
So would I, and that's why Steam is doing so well with PC digital distribution.

The problem is that Microsoft isn't a software-only company like Valve. They have to sell you an Xbox first, and the current console generation started before digital distribution had taken off.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen consoles are more focused on DD, with giant hard drives being the standard. (I'd be incredibly disappointed if there was another console without a bundled HD, I think the Xbox Core/Arcade SKUs were a terrible decision that hurt game developers. Just look at all the hurdles Bungie had to overcome to make Halo 3 and Reach work both with and without HDs.)

But that's all looking forward, the distribution agreements have already been made and Microsoft can't circumvent them now, from what I can tell.

Halo 5 included on every Super Xbox 720 hard drive at launch. Believe.

I will be very disappointed if the next Xbox doesn't have a massive hard drive and all games are available for digital download the same day they are available in stores.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Metroid Prime games are amazing. I would love a campaign structure like that.

I am pretty sure that the CEA maps will be integrated into all playlists. They do after all become the best maps in the game the instant they come out. We'll get to rely on our trusty DLC algorithm to get them to come up in matchmaking though ;(

As for Kinect, I think its a really cool tech, and I use the voice commands for media controls all the time, but it shouldn't be used to throw grenades in Halo, and thankfully 343 realizes that.
If this is true, Halo CEA is NEVER leaving my disc tray.

People criticising the graphics in the new vid must be out of their fucking minds. Just that brief snippet looked absolutely gorgeous, a dazzling display of rich pastoral alien otherness. It truely looks up to par to me, an improvement on Reach (though I think Halo 3 looks better than Reach - personal preference). The lighting also is very impressive. Those complaining must be used to playing on PC's from the next millenium.

To chime in on the Kinnect debate, I have very limited experience with it; a friend brought it round and a bunch of us played the Dance game and I fiddled around with it on the dashboard. I was actually pleasantly suprised by how it functioned, I thought it would be 'off' but everything felt accurate and congruent. I really think it has great potential but it depends heavily on developers using unique methods to integrate it. Of course, I don't want it to interfere with my Halo's though in anyway that would detract from the traditional control pad experience.

senador

Banned
wwm0nkey said:

Surely they will, just like the other map packs. In other words, they'll be there but don't expect to play them
much
. :p

I'm stoked for those maps. I'm nervous of how they'll play (expecting so-so) but so glad we'll have a bunch of "new" small to midsize maps. I do Reach LANs every once in a while with old friends that don't play online. It'll be nice to be able to play maps that are familiar to them that aren't Hemo (since that's all we play all gah damned night).

Ramirez

stephen08 said:

I really would have no problem with it, it has happened to me a few times, I remember a game on Hemo where we only had 3 people, and the randy quit. Were were waped for the entire match, we didn't quit though.

I will say this, if you're getting that done to you on a regular basis, I personally would just find a new game. I'm not going to play something I can't be semi competitive in 90% of the time. I can already tell you that if I didn't have a solid 3 to play this with, I would have quit months ago, I do not find the game fun by myself, and I can't imagine most of the people we play every night (mostly lone wolves) are having much fun either.

I totally understand your guy's viewpoint on the subject, I just see it differently, that's all.

wwm0nkey said:

If you just use the CEA disc though, you would only have access to the CEA maps, which means you can probably only enter some of the playlists in the game, probably the "classic++" one(s). To enter all the playlists and have access to all maps (Reach disc, Noble, Defiant, and CEA), the smartest thing to do is probably download the CEA maps to your hard drive and play multiplayer with the Reach disc. At least, this is how I interpret the information we've received so far.

If Frankie or Ellis could clarify how this is going to work it would be much appreciated.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
You cannot stop people from playing the way they want, even if it's spawn-donging by extending the amount of playtime per game. Can you really blame them, though? You get a large chunk of your credits every game from the amount of time you spend in the game, so people are just finding ways to maximize their gains.

It's like complaining that someone who workouts at the gym decides to do one extra set for each exercise and incoporate a post-workout protein meal to increase their recovery. You're going to blame them because they're willing to do more and pull out all the stops to gain more muscle mass?

It's the same with people choosing to farm killstreaks or setting up shop at a specific point on a map in Call of Duty and killing enemies over and over again in Domination instead of going for the last capture point (this forces the opposing team to spawn in that general area making the 'dominating' team just set up camp and spawn dong for the rest of the game).

That's the sacrifice you make when you change the reward system from a per-win basis (Halo 2, Halo 3) to a per-kill basis (every shooter in the market today). That's not to say that I don't like the current reward system; I love XP/cR-based systems, I'm just saying that spawn donging, dragging out games, etc., comes with the territory.

Casual Halo player: "woah I just got 1500 cR for that last game, cool!"
Hardcore friend: "you know how you could get 2500 cR for the next game?"
Casual Halo player: "how???"
Hardcore friend: "make the game last longer"
Casual Halo player: "that's it??"
Hardcore friend: "yup"
Casual Halo player: "kk let's make it last longer then! more credits, w00t!"

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
If you just use the CEA disc though, you would only have access to the CEA maps, which means you can probably only enter some of the playlists in the game, probably the "classic++" one(s). To enter all the playlists and have access to all maps (Reach disc, Noble, Defiant, and CEA), the smartest thing to do is probably download the CEA maps to your hard drive and play multiplayer with the Reach disc. At least, this is how I interpret the information we've received so far.

If Frankie or Ellis could clarify how this is going to work it would be much appreciated.
I will be fine just playing me CEA maps thank you :)

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
The new maps are basically Reach's final DLC pack, so I'd be shocked if they were contained to a single or subset of playlists.
Yeah, not including them in all the playlists that make sense would be a huge blunder. Who knows, a couple good large remakes might make BTB palatable.

Ramirez said:
I really would have no problem with it, it has happened to me a few times, I remember a game on Hemo where we only had 3 people, and the randy quit. Were were waped for the entire match, we didn't quit though.

I will say this, if you're getting that done to you on a regular basis, I personally would just find a new game. I'm not going to play something I can't be semi competitive in 90% of the time. I can already tell you that if I didn't have a solid 3 to play this with, I would have quit months ago, I do not find the game fun by myself, and I can't imagine most of the people we play every night (mostly lone wolves) are having much fun either.

I totally understand your guy's viewpoint on the subject, I just see it differently, that's all.

But there's still a difference between getting absolutely destroyed in Slayer and having the objective held on you. In one instance, the team is actively pursuing the objective of the game, and in one they are actively not. This is the sportsmanship factor. It's like holding on to the basketball in a pick-up game at the park because there's no shot clock and saying "I'm exposing flaws in the game" or "I come to the park to have fun, and this is how I have fun." You can hold the basketball all you want if it's just you at your house, but when you go to the park, you have to consider others.

Ramirez

I would be quite shocked if we don't see any more maps for an entire year for Reach, I could see the last one hitting in Spring 12.

wwm0nkey said:
I will be fine just playing me CEA maps thank you :)

Oh, well in that case you're a fucking genius!

I think that CEA will be the last maps for Reach. With Halo 4 coming in 12 months maximum from the release of CEA, and with those maps slated for standalone DLC release in probably February (just my guess), I don't see more maps coming.

Ramirez said:
I would be quite shocked if we don't see any more maps for an entire year for Reach, I could see the last one hitting in Spring 12.

We can only hope. Waiting a year with no new maps and no new Halo game would suck. Heck, the wait from Defiant to CEA is too long.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Yeah, not including them in all the playlists that make sense would be a huge blunder. Who knows, a couple good large remakes might make BTB palatable.
I wandered into BTB last night because I no longer connect well to Firefight games, and three of the four were actually good. I was shocked. Two even had the kind of surreal vehicular shenanegans I haven't seen since Halo 3. I clipped out an extended section just to document it, though I haven't rendered it.

It helped that nearly everyone on both teams played like a pack of drunken, high speed-addled monkeys (at one point we had not one but TWO enemy Warthogs in the middle of our base on Hemhorrage, with ~12 players fighting around and in them - explosions took place), but I ended the night happy. It was one of the first nights I've touched Reach MP and left it feeling good, rather than frustrated. I hope subsequent playlist updates continue to bend things in that direction. (And also, I get players of the same caliber.)

Luckily I got my Kinect Beta Hardware from Microsoft for free. Ghal, you should definitely rent Child Of Eden. Child of Eden is the messiah of Kinect. It will show you to have faith into your Kinect gadget.

About the AR. There are some weapons that stand for the game. Everyone, who plays Halo: CE, remembers the Assault Rifle and the Pistol. If you play Halo 2, you will have lovely memories of the Battle Rifle and Dual-SMG(For me).

Striker

Assuming we get a BTB map or two, I would hope there's a possible DLC restriction in its case. There's already Highlands in the mix from the Defiant pack.

Otherwise, what's the point? Trident and Wayont would show up all the time and not the DLC. Premium Battle being the home for it all wouldn't exactly be appeasing.

Top Bottom