• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Here's that weird shield indicator version of the Halo 2 HUD:

t4XbBl.jpg

There was one version where the shield indicator was on the reticle.

Letters said:
The real-time switch for new and old visuals of Anniversary was a genius way of having your game slap people and their bad opinions for you.

"Really? No visual improvement whatsoever?? Exactly the same? Press Select..."

Though the jump in visuals will be way more apparent when people play it in their 47' screens at home, rather than judging from a youtube vid.

They should have a demo station at PAX with three identical TVs:
- One running Halo 1 on an Original Xbox (with HD component cables).
- One running CEA with the original graphics.
- One running CEA with the updated graphics.

Have all three at identical locations (like the beginning of Silent Cartographer) so people can compare them in real time without having to hit Select. I just want to see how different the original graphics are between Halo 1 and CEA (and how much an effect widescreen has on it).

Risen

Louis Wu said:
I wanted to see how 'off' these were. I was surprised.

The numbers in the 'overall' section are competitive only. The bolded numbers in the front are kills and deaths for the game in question.

Blue Team:
15-12 - BGiant: Overall K/D 1.14 (2487 games), MLG K/D 1.12 (2242 games)
13-8 - Charrdonnay: Overall K/D 0.89 (523 games), MLG K/D 0.87 (465 games)
13-8 - xEnvyMassarce: Overall K/D 1.35 (1899 games), MLG K/D 1.34 (1820 games)
9-8 - Iunaa: Overall K/D 1.25 (23 games), MLG K/D 1.25 (23 games)

Red Team:
16-9 - NYSTOFMIND23: Overall K/D 1.25 (2465 games), MLG K/D 1.18 (1913 games)
13-12 - Risen GBG: Overall K/D 1.59 (1130 games), MLG K/D 0.98 (190 games)
4-12 - AmOver9000: Overall K/D 1.01 (310 games), MLG K/D 0.81 (127 games)
3-17 - x Mr Awesome x: Overall K/D 1.58 (3305 games), MLG K/D 1.08 (35 games)

Seriously - the two guys who lost the game for you do NOT look, on paper, like they should have lost the game that badly. AmOver9000 has stats that are better than Charrdonnay's (though for half as many overall games, and a third as many MLG games), while x Mr Awesome x's stats are better than BGiant's (except without any real MLG experience). Trueskill numbers for a team of 4 require somewhere between a hundred and 200 games to be fully nailed down - I'm not sure what sort of system would do better with people like this.

I'm not saying it's not frustrating to get dragged down like this - I'm saying that on paper, at least, the two guys who dragged you down should NOT have been so badly outclassed. The system didn't fail - those two players did.

Definitely a fair observation... and I'm not saying there is a better solution. It's hard taking statistics and coming to a conclusion on player overall skill. You stated that they should NOT have been so badly outclassed, which of course is assuming the system got it right. I say they were outclassed in every way in that game and the system is coming to the wrong conclusion on their skill and placing them in a game in which they were horribly matched.

And don't get me wrong... my post was not further bitching about the system, rather was showing game links to illustrate why there are folks who have the opinions they do regarding Truskill and MM.

Edit to add: Would someone mind shooting me a PM and pointing me in the right direction for instructions on adding a forum avatar? I've tried multiple times and it just seems to fail.

ElRenoRaven

You know watching that video again and again I noticed one thing I do like a lot. Some of the grunts if not all have the original back design now. In the first videos I didn't see a single one that had the original back design. There were some that the the triangular boxy version but I hadn't seen any that the the rounded triangular one. So that makes me a happy camper.

Kujo

Anyone else here who's not a big Halo CE fan? I loved it 10 years ago, but replaying it last month I couldn't find much to like anymore.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
You know watching that video again and again I noticed one thing I do like a lot. Some of the grunts if not all have the original back design now. In the first videos I didn't see a single one that had the original back design. So that makes me a happy camper.
Most of the E3 trailer seemed to be place holder on all characters. Those damn half jaws have gone back to their old look as well :D

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:
Anyone else here who's not a big Halo CE fan? I loved it 10 years ago, but replaying it last month I couldn't find much to like anymore.

You're probably alone on that. I still replay the original every month. Hell I replay all of the main trilogy every month. I'm working on Halo 2 Vista right now this week cause I played Halo 1 last week.

wwm0nkey said:
Most of the E3 trailer seemed to be place holder on all characters. Those damn half jaws have gone back to their old look as well :D

I'm ok with that too. I actually just noticed one grunt with a newer back design and I'm ok with that as long as most have the old design.

Mojo said:

It's still my favorite campaign and favorite MP by far.

Campaign:

CE > ODST > Reach > 3 > 2

MP

CE > 2 > 3 > Reach

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
You're probably alone on that. I still replay the original every month. Hell I replay all of the main trilogy every month. I'm working on Halo 2 Vista right now this week cause I played Halo 1 last week.

I'm ok with that too.
You know what, I think I am going to start doing a Halo Recap today starting with Halo: Reach, then Halo 1, Halo 2 up until the elites split from the covenant then ODST, then back to halo 2 and finally finish it off with Halo 3.

Kujo

PsychoRaven said:
I replay all of the main trilogy every month.
You're insane, do you play any other FPS's? I'd get so tired of a franchise if I re-played single player portions once a year, let alone month, lol

The Real Napsta said:
I would literally flip that

GhaleonEB

Mojo said:
I think it is very dated in many ways. Limited AI (can't drive, can't swap weapons, not very useful, limited to their combat spaces), lots of now-obvious triggers to mask the small number of enemies on screen at a time, and so on.

The fundamentals are still rock solid, and I love how the core combat loop plays out, but you can see how the series progressed, especially when it hit the 360.

As for ncsuDuncan's skulls request, he hit two I was already thinking of: all enemies have active camo, and convert all enemies into Elites. I would add:

Oops, All Grunts: All Covenant enemies are Grunts.

Overcharged: All enemies have overshields.

Flooded: Flood Combat Forms cannot be killed, only knocked down for a few seconds. Run! (Not sure how this would work with the Library "wait while I go open this door" scenes, but hey.)

All the Rage: All Elites enter beserk mode upon seeing you.

Louis Wu said:
No, and absolutely not.
Mine is collecting dust. It's a semi-funtional POS and no one in the house likes it.

Kujo

HiredN00bs said:
Do you guys have Kinects already? If you don't, are you considering getting one for Halo: CEA?
Ewww, what does Kinect even do in CEA?

GhaleonEB said:
I think it is very dated in many ways. Limited AI (can't drive, can't swap weapons, not very useful, limited to their combat spaces), lots of now-obvious triggers to mask the small number of enemies on screen at a time, and so on.
Yep, this. Plus I don't like the weapon selection other than pistol/sniper

wwm0nkey

Anyone else here want to do a Halo series recap week of playing through all the games?

Also I still wonder what the kinect options will be for Halo: CEA.

Mojo said:
Ewww, what does Kinect even do in CEA?
NOTHING related to gameplay.

From what we've heard it sounds like it will be some minigame or side feature, probably found under the "Extras" tab option on the main menu.

Maybe you can use Kinect to navigate the Waypoint integration?

Either way, you WILL NOT be using Kinect to move/aim in the Campaign. No worries.

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:
You're insane, do you play any other FPS's? I'd get so tired of a franchise if I re-played single player portions once a year, let alone month, lol

I would literally flip that

I really don't. I love the Halo universe. Bungie created this living breathing universe with so much potential it isn't funny. Every time I play through the games it's different in minor ways thanks to the fantastic AI. That makes it easy.

HiredN00bs said:
Do you guys have Kinects already? If you don't, are you considering getting one for Halo: CEA?

Hell no. Kinect can go die in a fire. Motion controls are such bullshit in my opinion and I will not buy them. Even for Halo.

The Real Napsta said:
It's still my favorite campaign and favorite MP by far.

Campaign:

MP

CE > 2 > 3 > Reach

For me my order if I'm playing them all through is Reach, Halo, Halo 2, Halo: ODST, Halo 3. That's what I feel is the proper order. So every 3 or so months instead of just doing the main trilogy I'll do all of the games in that order.

Quality wise though CE>Halo 3, ODST>Reach>Halo 2

Kuroyume

Banned
The thing I liked about the new video was the colorful look of the game. At least they seem to have kept that intact. I really would like a bit more footage than that. Didn't realize it was a November release. I thought it was coming out sooner like the past few Halo releases.

Would really like to see some of the night time snow environments like the Keyes and betrayals levels whenever they release the new video. The later levels are my favorite parts of the campaign and I want to see if they nailed the look.

ElRenoRaven

Kuroyume said:
The thing I liked about the new video was the colorful look of the game. At least they seem to have kept that intact. I really would like a bit more footage than that. Didn't realize it was a November release. I thought it was coming out sooner like the past few Halo releases.

Would really like to see some of the night time snow environments like the Keyes and betrayals levels whenever they release the new video. The later levels are my favorite parts of the campaign and I want to see if they nailed the look.

Nope it's coming out 10 years to the day of the original. So November 15th.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kuroyume said:

Some of the interior stuff looks amazing now too. And the swamp scenes are radically different in graphical approach while retaining the same atmosphere.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
Some of the interior stuff looks amazing now too. And the swamp scenes are radically different in graphical approach while retaining the same atmosphere.

Oh Frankie don't do this to me. I can't take it. Don't tease me like this.

Kujo

PsychoRaven said:
I really don't.
I play a ton of FPS's on different platforms, so different strokes I guess. I know a couple of people who don't like FPS but like Halo so it's interesting what different people look for in it

OuterWorldVoice said:
Do Halo 2 next plz

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
OuterWorldVoice said:

Hmmmm, dat 343 Guilty Spark.

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
Son of a bitch I want to see it :(

Also I have just paid off my pre-order for CEA and it feels good :)

MrBig said:
Is there a time he wants to get everyone in by? I'd like to participate but I won't be able to connect to live until this weekend.

Also I'm starting work on two new maps.
Would any experienced forgers like to join me next week so I can bounce some ideas around?
Not really, I just want to place all GAFers together in the photo.
I'll be collecting entries till I get a reasonable number.
51 entries so far, I NEED MOAR!

Hey You

FyreWulff said:
I just realize that I guess this means people that elect to buy it on Games on Demand at launch instead of retail miss out on the skull.
Wait, its coming on Games of Demand right at launch?

I don't a game has ever done that on GoD. I might do that and miss out on the pre-order bonus if true.

I hope it does come on GoD day and date of release, but I won't hold my breath :/

That new video came just in time. HaloGAF was about to implode on itself due to arguments.

That trailer looked great, and I'm pre-ordering this as we speak. :)

Hopefully Amazon gets the pre-order content.

OuterWorldVoice said:
This statement is correct.
Yuck. I wouldn't want to. But I'm a sucker for extras.

Ghal, your daughters don't like the Kinect? Every action game they've shown looks like crap, but games designed around the device like Dance Central look pretty neat. Do you not use it as a media controller?

Hey You said:

I don't a game has ever done that on GoD. I might do that and miss out on the pre-order bonus if true.

I hope it does come on GoD day and date of release, but I won't hold my breath :/

That's the first I've heard about them doing that.

I've always thought a nice compromise would be selling download cards at retail day and date. They take up minimal shelf space, give retailers the sales, and give consumers the benefits of GoD.

ElRenoRaven

Mojo said:
I play a ton of FPS's on different platforms, so different strokes I guess. I know a couple of people who don't like FPS but like Halo so it's interesting what different people look for in it

Oh I play a lot of games on the side. I don't think a day goes by that I'm not playing something.

vhfive

OuterWorldVoice said:
pics or didn't happen

Hey You

ncsuDuncan said:
It's a complicated issue.

Basically, if Microsoft released Games on Demand on launch day at the same price it would piss off all of the retailers like Gamestop, Walmart, etc.

Microsoft can't do that, they depend on those retailers to sell Xbox hardware, i.e. consoles and controllers.

Valve isn't worried about angering retailers with Steam, because they don't depend on them for hardware sales.
Why would that piss off retailers? GoD just basically another retailer.

HiredN00bs said:
I got one from the Kinect beta, it will be interesting to see what it will be used for.

Edit: Is Bungie.net's forums and sign in offline for anyone else?

wwm0nkey

Gabo´s Palace said:
Ok now what do I need to do, just take a picture of my spartan holding a weapon?

feel

I forgot about kinect, I don't use mine much but it's always plugged in there. I hope it's minority report controls for the terminal interfaces. That would be cool and not change a thing.

as much as I love it and the experiences taylored for it, if I didn't have one already I wouldn't be buying one just for this (probably)

HiredN00bs said:

I'll be getting a used Kinect and hopefully on the cheap here soon. CEA has me excited to use Kinect but there's far greater reasons why I'll be picking one up.

Gui_PT

Gabo´s Palace said:

Can't you just make mine 5 times bigger than all the others? That'll fill up the image =P

FyreWulff

Hey You said:

No, I think I got confused by an HBO post made by a 343 employee. Up is left! Down is backwards!

Also it turns out idlers are not amused by being pushed off cliffs

Karl2177

Now, I'm not the greatest with technical stuff and you probably aren't allowed to answer this, but I was under the impression that it was the CE engine with an updated graphics engine on top. How were you able to incorporate skulls in there?

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow, I totally missed that Bish is playing Reach now. Hopefully this means more thread title shenanigans. :D
Halo Reach |OT5| - FUCK YOU ARMOR LOCK

And that little CEA skull video...that is awesome :lol If you turn that on on Legendary I'm sure it'd help a ton :D

Fake Edit: Are people really trashing the graphics? What the hell?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Sai-kun said:
And that little CEA skull video...that is awesome :lol If you turn that on on Legendary I'm sure it'd help a ton :D

Fake Edit: Are people really trashing the graphics? What the hell?

The area with the sleeping grunts in AotCR has never been more terrifying.

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
Ghal, your daughters don't like the Kinect? Every action game they've shown looks like crap, but games designed around the device like Dance Central look pretty neat. Do you not use it as a media controller?
Here's by beef with Kinect, and it roughly translates to my daughter's experience.

If we had a controler that would not respond to inputs a certain percentage of the time, such as shooting, how would you describe it? Say, it's this great new button layout but 10% of the time, when you hit a button something else - or perhaps nothing - will happen. I would call it broken. Why play a game where it's not doing what you want it to? When I hit shoot, I want to shoot. When I hit jump, I want to jump.

With Kinect, at least 10% of the time and usually more the action we perform does not corrospond to the event that takes place on screen. With some games, it's much higher than that.

The Your Shape fitness game tells me I'm doing damn near everything wrong, even though I'm replicating movement and timing perfectly. After my second attempt at playing it, I stopped. It's infuriating to be playing a game that tells you you're doing it wrong at every moment.

When my younger daughter - whom I purchased Kinect for - tries to play with her Kinectimal and the game is going haywire, she wants to play something else. The game tells her to do something, she does it, and nothing happens on screen. Or, something different happens. If that happens two or three times, she's ready to play a game that works.

This is also the reason I laugh at demos for racing games and shooters that are gesture based. The only way to make it work is to build in so many assists that your actions are only semi-consequntial, as with all the Kinect Adventures games. You can stand there and flounder around like a fish and do great. But in a shooter, if I get killed once because the game didn't read my intended gesture correctly, that's a deal breaker. I don't want to play games that fail like that, and I don't want to play games that have all the fail safes and asists built in to make it work.

Top Bottom