• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

feel

Oozer3993 said:
Halo 4 to be subtitled Halo 4: Bloomtacular confirmed.
Would make sense to announce that in the fiction panel today, less chance of getting stabbed than on the games' panels at pax.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm recalling a lot more splatters with the Banshee, because players were forced to take flat, low approaches on bombing runs. They'd bomb and then have to boost to get out of the angle and go for some splatters along the way. It forced some risk/reward scenarios into using it. I don't see a lot of Banshee splatters in Reach because there's never a need to come close to the ground, you can just hover over players and bomb.

Yeah. TU tweak pleaze, 343?
Very good point. Of course, now there's the same amount of reward with a huge increase in risk: Armor Lock and the major boost to collision damage.

I'm really curious as to how much of the TU will be dedicated to adding new Classic options (tweaking grenade damage, bloom, etc) and how much will be directed at fixing bugs and gameplay for normal Reach.

I understand the reasoning behind keeping normal Reach intact; changing the way AAs and the sandbox works could be very disruptive and unpopular with the masses. Still, there are a number of tweaks and fixes that I think could be done without losing that "vanilla Reach" flavor.

Letters said:
Would make sense to announce that in the fiction panel today, less chance of getting stabbed than on the games' panels at pax.
Do you not remember what happened at Comicon last year?

Ramirez

omg.kittens said:
Whaaaat? I'd take split screen over playing alone any day. Nearly all of my best gaming memories (since the N64 era, at least) are of split screen shenanigans.

Yea, that was fun when I was in middle school and the thought of playing people on the internet wasn't even a dream yet.

I get that kids still exist and they need their splitscreen for sleepovers, just put them in their own playlist. Like I said it's usually not an enjoyable experience for anyone in the game when you get 4 split screens vs. a team of 4 or whatever.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
Very good point. Of course, now there's the same amount of reward with a huge increase in risk: Armor Lock and the major boost to collision damage.

I'm really curious as to how much of the TU will be dedicated to adding new Classic options (tweaking grenade damage, bloom, etc) and how much will be directed at fixing bugs and gameplay for normal Reach.

I understand the reasoning behind keeping normal Reach intact; changing the way AAs and the sandbox works could be very disruptive and unpopular with the masses. Still, there are a number of tweaks and fixes that I think could be done without losing that "vanilla Reach" flavor.

Yea. Comic con is the last place you want to announce something that will piss someone off.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
That was epic. Wish I could've experienced something similar during Halo 3.

343 announcing they're switching back to the Mjolnir Mark VI. Excellent.

If by epic you mean despicable Dax, then yes I agree. Where is your guys honor?

Who's going to be watching/reading the live blog? I've never experienced a G4TV live blog, so this should be entertaining on multiple levels.

ncsuDuncan said:
It was this time last summer I vacationed in North Carolina. What happened?

Risen said:
Rarely do I see something new in a MM game... but has anyone seen this:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21145371&player=Risen%20GBG

In MLG with Tashi last night - Neither of us had seen it and both stared slack jawed until they were halfway across lol.

Incredible.

xxjuicesxx said:

Can't hold an objective in King.
34924990.jpg

I'm really enjoying all the users posting games where they grief players in some effort to troll those who speak out against bad sportsmanship.

Way to hoist yourselves on your own petards.

^^Honestly don't know why you care so much. Sportsmanship died about 20 years ago, and it only pops up in rare occasions. Why you would expect it from online people that you don't know is kind of baffling.

Steelyuhas said:
Can't hold an objective in King.
Actually, that's exactly what you're supposed to do.

xxjuicesxx said:
Got to 249 and then didn't finish, didn't let them grab hill.

Is GAF mad?

GAF is always mad haha.

squidhands said:

It was a joke, because you can't literally hold it like that flag, which is what this objective/halo honor rage fight has been about haha.

HiredN00bs said:
I'm really enjoying all the users posting games where they grief players in some effort to troll those who speak out against bad sportsmanship.

Way to hoist yourselves on your own petards.

I'm enjoying that you keep putting yourself up on a pedestal as the God of Halo. Winning in Halo isn't unethical no matter how its done. Is Bungie to blame when we dong on a team in 1flag and they have to stick around for another round even after they've lost no matter what? No thats been in Halo for awhile now. Playing with another team like they are puppets happens, and thats because we're better. They can quit if they aren't having fun but they are losing for a reason.

The reason is because Halo is a game where two teams compete. One team is going to lose and going to feel bad.

This isn't fucking Hello Kitty Adventures. Deal with it.

Why is everyone so sensitive on GAF?
Grow up.

Havok

xxjuicesxx said:
Is Bungie to blame when we dong on a team in 1flag and they have to stick around for another round even after they've lost no matter what?
I can't believe that's made it through three games now without being changed.

Hitmonchan107 said:
It was this time last summer I vacationed in North Carolina. What happened?
Someone got stabbed at Comicon last year.

It was between the Resident Evil: Afterlife panel and the Marvel panel.

Two males in their mid 20s attending Comic-Con in room H at the San Diego Convention Center got into a verbal argument. The room was very crowded and the males argued over one male sitting too close to the other. The males got into a physical altercation and one male struck the other male near the eye with a pen. The male that was struck was taken to a local hospital with a minor cut on or near his eyelid. The suspect was arrested and booked for assault with a deadly weapon. Central Division is handling the investigation.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/07/comic-con-stabbing/

OuterWorldVoice, lybertyboy: be safe out there and wear eye protection. And don't sit too close to anyone wearing a Harry Potter shirt.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
GAF is always mad haha.

It was a joke, because you can't literally hold it like that flag, which is what this objective/halo honor rage fight has been about haha.

You can if you assign the KOTH_HILL label to an armor ability! Then you can make something of a duct-taped together VIP mode.

ncsuDuncan said:

OuterWorldVoice, lybertyboy: be safe out there and wear eye protection. And don't sit too close to anyone wearing a Harry Potter shirt.

don't worry bro they got armorlock

squidhands said:
^^Honestly don't know why you care so much. Sportsmanship died about 20 years ago, and it only pops up in rare occasions. Why you would expect it from online people that you don't know is kind of baffling.

Because it ruins matchmaking

1 Grief players in objective/make them quit
2 Complain about how TrueSkill doesn't work (when it's really working poorly because of the low population)
3 Brag about it on a forum where developers post, which ironically might bring some resolution, lawlz

feel

I sincerely apologize for the joke then, seriously didn't know about that.

edit- just to be safe 343, save bloom for when some of you are not exposed like this

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
Because it ruins matchmaking

1 Grief players in objective/make them quit
2 Complain about how TrueSkill doesn't work (when it's really working poorly because of the low population)
3 Brag about it on a forum where developers post, which ironically might bring some resolution, lawlz

People quit out whether you grief them or not, Halo is full of the biggest quitting man babies out of any franchise out there. Take your beating like a man!

Tawpgun

It's not like slaying after capturing 2 is unfair. If they suck they're going to lose. Hell, you might even make the argument that prolonging the game gives the other team a chance to win.

Of course finishing the game is a nice thing to do... But after constant 3 minute games... Sometimes you just want something more. I just don't see why its such a huge deal.

Ramirez said:
Remember when everyone thought FW was going to be awesome, yea...
But Forge World is awesome. Overused? Yes. And sure, it could be more awesome, but I don't think we got anything less than what they announced.

FyreWulff said:
don't worry bro they got armorlock
lol
Letters said:
I sincerely apologize for the joke then, seriously didn't know about that.
I don't think anyone was offended, I just found it funny/ironic that you mentioned Comic-Con and stabbing in the same sentence by accident.

GhaleonEB said:
Last year's Comic-Con panel was the Forge World and Forge 2.0 reveal, as well as Firefight Versus.
Nice.

ncsuDuncan said:

What the hell?

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Remember when everyone thought FW was going to be awesome, yea...

It's genuinely unbelievable to me that Bungie did not add some sort of selectable color palette to Forge ala spartan customization. Grey blocks only. Again. Amazing.

Not Enough Resources!

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Why is everyone so sensitive on GAF?

Grow up.
Because some of us end up on the losing end of those games, where the objectives are ignored so we can be credit farmed. It's not fun. When you have a bad experience in a game, and find players in your community boasting of doing that to others, it's reasonable to point out that the other end of the equation sucks.

And I do quit out of those game, several in the past few days. Life's too short to sit around and let people like that just fuck around. If you are going to boast about behaving like that in matchmaking, you're going to have to have thick enough skin to deal with people pointing out that it's a pretty shitty way to behave. If you can't handle that then, well, you should also grow up. Not everyone cheerleads bullies.

We have different perspectives on this. In the bottom half of a 2-0 1-Flag game, I'm one of those guys advocating that we just let the other team get the cap and end the game. You prefer to kick the shit out of them for another round. That's fine - Bungie didn't set rules in place to end the game in situations like that, so there's nothing wrong going for the shut out.

I think holding the objective in a 2-flag or Neutral Assault game you are dominating is different, though. It's exploiting weak players or teams for cR and boasting rights. People that do that probably kick puppies, too.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
How does minor cut = stabbing?

On the topic of 4 player split screen, I had one of my old college friends visiting and we played 4 player split screen. We do just fine splitting a screen and winning. It was also hilarious since we had 4 players with unique gamer tags, we were playing squad slayer and the random guy booted one of use due to a grenade betrayal in a firefight. It booted all 4 of us, and the guy had to finish out the game 1 v 5. It's not the split screen that's the problem, it's the guests who don't normally play Halo are put against higher skilled players due to the primary gamer tag's skill rating.

Ramirez

ncsuDuncan said:
But Forge World is awesome. Overused? Yes. And sure, it could be more awesome, but I don't think we got anything less than what they announced.

It's really not. Absolutely AWFUL framrates on pretty much every FW map make it an instant failure, IMO. Could have been broken down into smaller maps or something, but I guess they wanted to flex their technical e-peen.

Not to mention that you can only do so much with the spaces provided. It's hard to build maps on the Paradiso island and not have them all feel the same, same as the Hemo area, meh. There's like 6 FW maps in BTB, but they pretty much all feel the same due to the geometry layouts.

^ Split screen is a problem then if it doesn't take into account that you're playing with 3 others, and just takes your individual skill level into consideration. Winning with splitscreeners is not the norm, I think everyone knows that.

wwm0nkey

I would have preferred a blank box where we could edit geometry rather than Forge World.

Really though Halo 4 NEEDS a map maker like Far Cry 2, the maps really do not take up much space at all.

Ramirez said:
People quit out whether you grief them or not, Halo is full of the biggest quitting man babies out of any franchise out there. Take your beating like a man!

Criticizing one form of bad sportsmanship while advocating and actively engaging in another is pretty silly. At least a quitter could have a good reason to quit, like their house being on fire. There's no excuse like that for objective holders.

Ramirez

HiredN00bs said:
Criticizing one form of bad sportsmanship while advocating and actively engaging in another is pretty silly. At least a quitter could have a good reason to quit, like their house being on fire. There's no excuse like that for objective holders.

lol, it's a videogame man, go be a world peace activist or something, good grief.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Ghaleon pretty much nailed the objective holding is disgraceful argument.

I just want to add that it's reasons like this that I am thankful that 343 is taking over the helm. Right now I have more faith in 343 than in Bungie seeing how Bungie had some pretty large oversights of simple game design elements that reinforce poor behavior. Maybe Bungie's A team can help them return to form, but I will be cautious of what they have to offer.

Striker

PNut said:
Booshka said:
I don't, I think it is a piece of shit Halo game as well, but most of GAF loves it.
Why yes it would. Well, add Firefight, Campaign MM, and Reach's Forge with individual maps created for forging (and not all grey walls and floors) and you've got the greatest FPS ever made.
21n045g.jpg

LunaticPuma said:
Ghaleon pretty much nailed the objective holding is disgraceful argument.

I just want to add that it's reasons like this that I am thankful that 343 is taking over the helm. Right now I have more faith in 343 than in Bungie seeing how Bungie had some pretty large oversights of simple game design elements that reinforce poor behavior. Maybe Bungie's A team can help them return to form, but I will be cautious of what they have to offer.
Yeah, that's pretty silly they didn't incorporate a shortcut to game complete on 1-sided objective, especially since they were hinting at giving players in lopsided games ways to end the match early.

FyreWulff

-Yeti said:
Is it pointless to still have hopes for another Forge World?

I want one so bad. :(

Only if it's the rumored Covie Forge World. Could stick remakes of Midship and Chill Out in there (with real geometry) so a small map doesn't eat up an entire map slot again.

One thing I like so far about Forge World and Tempest:

Forge World: it's on disc, so we aren't stuck in a Halo 3 situation where people have to either have a HDD to enjoy forged maps (Foundry) or pay for a map for forged maps (Sandbox)

Tempest: While it has the full Forge World palette and an improved replacement for Rock, Seastack, it also doesn't obsolete Forge World like Sandbox obsoleted'd Foundry. It has different strengths.

Any new Forge World needs to offer a new setting and a couple of new features, but hopefully we don't suffer the Sandbox/Foundry problem where a map becomes obsolete.

Supporting 26 teleporter pairs would be a start.

If not, I would guess at least ONE of the CE:A maps has the FW palette in it. Probably the Timberlands remake.. unless...

Beaver Creek is part of Forge World 3.0!

HiredN00bs said:
Yeah, that's pretty silly they didn't incorporate a shortcut to game complete on 1-sided objective, especially since they were hinting at giving players in lopsided games ways to end the match early.

This is annoying because Grifball ends when it detects lame duck rounds are going to happen, but 1 Flag and 1 Bomb don't do this.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
Yea, that was fun when I was in middle school and the thought of playing people on the internet wasn't even a dream yet.

I get that kids still exist and they need their splitscreen for sleepovers, just put them in their own playlist. Like I said it's usually not an enjoyable experience for anyone in the game when you get 4 split screens vs. a team of 4 or whatever.
Hah, I'm 26 and I play splitscreen with my friends in their mid/late twenties all the time. We definitely prefer it over online. It's way more fun to high five and yell at each other in person.

Hold "Back" and press Y.

"Are you sure you want to vote for surrender?"
Highlight "Yes", press A.

"GhaleonEB has voted to surrender (1/4)"
"ncsuDuncan has voted to surrender (2/4)"

etc.

"Blue team has voted to surrender. (4/4)"
Game Over - Red team wins.

The vote must be unanimous.

The option is only available when:
- Your team is losing by more than 50% of the score required to win.
Losing at Team Slayer by a gap of 26 kills.
Losing at CTF by a gap of 2 captures.

- The team size is uneven by two or more players.
2 v 4 TS games, 6 v 8 BTB games, etc.

In multi-team games, a team that votes to surrender exits the game while the remaining teams continue playing.

GhaleonEB said:
Because some of us end up on the losing end of those games, where the objectives are ignored so we can be credit farmed. It's not fun. When you have a bad experience in a game, and find players in your community boasting of doing that to others, it's reasonable to point out that the other end of the equation sucks.

And I do quit out of those game, several in the past few days. Life's too short to sit around and let people like that just fuck around. If you are going to boast about behaving like that in matchmaking, you're going to have to have thick enough skin to deal with people pointing out that it's a pretty shitty way to behave. If you can't handle that then, well, you should also grow up. Not everyone cheerleads bullies.

We have different perspectives on this. In the bottom half of a 2-0 1-Flag game, I'm one of those guys advocating that we just let the other team get the cap and end the game. You prefer to kick the shit out of them for another round. That's fine - Bungie didn't set rules in place to end the game in situations like that, so there's nothing wrong going for the shut out.

The one flag/one bomb games should be more intuitive and just skip the final round if the starting offense scored twice or failed twice (while the opponents scored). I've always felt like the 4th round was basically futile and a waste of time for both sides if the previously mentioned actions occurred.

I think holding the objective in a 2-flag or Neutral Assault game you are dominating is different, though. It's exploiting weak players or teams for cR and boasting rights. People that do that probably kick puppies, too.

Holding the objective is mean, I'm not gonna defend it but there is something pretty hilarious about people with racist tags and shit like iPwN xXN00BZxX getting their shit pushed in over and over.

FyreWulff

Gabotron ES said:
Make one sided gametypes consist of two five minutes rounds, problem solved.

They did this in Halo 3 BTB with Territories and it was a genius move.

And then they never did it again. BTB should just be 2 rounds for any 1-sided objective by default.

Gabotron ES said:
Make one sided gametypes consist of two five minutes rounds, problem solved.

Yeah that is much better than the 4-round, one score per round setup that they have going right now.

FyreWulff said:
They did this in Halo 3 BTB with Territories and it was a genius move.

And then they never did it again. BTB should just be 2 rounds for any 1-sided objective by default.

I believe BTB territories in Reach is the same way, or at least they changed it to be that way.

Top Bottom