• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Ramirez

That's not trueskill's fault, that's the guests fault. I've said it a million times, guests need to be in their own playlist, drags the game down for everyone 99% of the time.

I'm still trying to figure out who these people are that are still playing 4 player split screen in 2011.

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
That's not trueskill's fault, that's the guests fault. I've said it a million times, guests need to be in their own playlist, drags the game down for everyone 99% of the time.

I'm still trying to figure out who these people are that are still playing 4 player split screen in 2011.

You are right, but its still trueskill to some degree right? I mean, it thought it was OK to match us all up. It would have been more reasonable to do guests vs guests,

I fully agree with you. I am getting really sick of guests dragging me down. I played Team Doubles as a guest at a friend's house and we did well, but I think that's a rare thing. Nearly every guest I meet sucks. These guys were moving 1 stick at a time, they didn't know how to play.

I don't even think guest parties need their own playlist, just strict restrictions for matching them up with other guest parties. I don't need to have a crap round so that they can be matched quickly. They can wait longer to be matched up properly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:

Whaaaat? I'd take split screen over playing alone any day. Nearly all of my best gaming memories (since the N64 era, at least) are of split screen shenanigans.

xxjuicesxx said:
Lol WTF FF MM gave me Arcadefight with only one other guy. Good job! Its yellow bar too. My internets fine too I just reset and tested it.

No internet is good enough for Firefight. All you can do in Firefight is pray for host.

omg.kittens said:
Whaaaat? I'd take split screen over playing alone any day. Nearly all of my best gaming memories (since the N64 era, at least) are of split screen shenanigans.
Split screen is fine but either confine it to offline play, match guests with other guests or keep them in their own play list. Other players in an online environment shouldn't have to suffer for it, and evidently, people most definitely suffer.

Barrow Roll said:
Split screen is fine but either confine it to offline play, match guests with other guests or keep them in their own play list. Other players in an online environment shouldn't have to suffer for it, and evidently, people most definitely suffer.
I agree with this 100%.

Yea just skating around in FF. So bad.

Fuck I can't wait til I get to my new place in two weeks and have FiOS and straight to router connection not this wireless shit!

So Halo Universe Panel later on today? Hoping to find out what the other maps are in CEA and maybe some information regarding Halo 4...

Sikamikanico said:
So Halo Universe Panel later on today? Hoping to find out what the other maps are in CEA and maybe some information regarding Halo 4...
There is an Halo 4 panel at HaloFEST. We can*t expect any Halo 4 information, 343i is just going to say: Oh Halo 4. Wait for PAX. But I'm always ready to see that I'm wrong.

Hypertrooper said:
There is an Halo 4 panel at HaloFEST. We can*t expect any Halo 4 information, 343i is just going to say: Oh Halo 4. Wait for PAX. But I'm always ready to see that I'm wrong.

Ah, fair enough, I can wait. August is nearly here anyway!

xxjuicesxx said:
Say hi to that kid who killwhores in Objective with you.
I'm listening to him bitch about Grifball. I just said, "Juices says hi."

We're not saying there's anything wrong with playing well, just that objective holding is poor sportsmanship, and so we never do it. See Frankie's post about fanfic.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
Is that why you were objective holding? Maybe they were kids at a sleepover.
Holy fucking shit. At this point I'm convinced you're trolling. Eazy?

squidhands said:
I think the heat wave has made HaloGAF a little crazier than usual. 343, please make it rain.
Yes.

I know I'm just a junior, but do you guys really need to talk again about obj. holding?
On the subject, it happened to me once in the mlg playlist and I ended up like -30 lol. Was it fun? no. Was it annoying or was I mad? Absolutely no. They were really good players. I'm never going to be mad at someone just because they're better than me.
And even if it was annoying, they weren't breaking any rule.

stephen08

xxjuicesxx said:
Say hi to that kid who killwhores in Objective with you.

You hold the objective on a regular basis (despite Tawpgun's claims of it being a one time thing) and I'm the one kill whoring?

What a joke of a post.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Holy fucking shit. At this point I'm convinced you're trolling. Eazy?

My bad, I'd heard that Ram posted another objective holding game (who's trolling who here?) and assumed that his comment about guests was in reference to that game.

i nerini del buio said:
I know I'm just a junior, but do you guys really need to talk again about obj. holding?
On the subject, it happened to me once in the mlg playlist and I ended up like -30 lol. Was it fun? no. Was it annoying or was I mad? Absolutely no. They were really good players. I'm never going to be mad at someone just because they're better than me.
And even if it was annoying, they weren't breaking any rule.
As long as they keep posting games, and people keep making fallacious arguments, it will be a topic of discussion. You guys could stop trolling any time.

In any event, I'm ready to stop feeding.

Edit: Holy crap at some of these game histories! No wonder people are so defensive about this subject. Gotta love Bungie.net.

Tawpgun

For me at least it was a one time thing...

But I see NOTHING wrong with Ram or anyone else doing it. My god it's just super annoying having to see you all over him like some sort of Halo Etiquette police. People will play the game the way they want it to be played.

Sucks for the other team. They'll deal with it. And hope trueskill doesn't fuck them over next game. I've been held on once. A loss is a loss it really isn't that big a deal. I mean I've even had to go up against Gamesager's squad in BTB. Endure that and then tell me slaying in objective is that bad.

Gui_PT

I have a question, Gabotron.

This Reach collage you're working on.. Will it be vertical like the Halo 3 one or horizontal? It would work as a great wallpaper, you know?

MrBig said:
The only reason it's talked about the way it is is because its the only (reasonable) way to play Halo in its competitive form without the additions that are the bane of Halogafs existence.
That's not true in the slightest.

A27 Tawpgun said:

But I see NOTHING wrong with Ram or anyone else doing it. My god it's just super annoying having to see you all over him like some sort of Halo Etiquette police. People will play the game the way they want it to be played.

Sucks for the other team. They'll deal with it. And hope trueskill doesn't fuck them over next game. I've been held on once. A loss is a loss it really isn't that big a deal. I mean I've even had to go up against Gamesager's squad in BTB. Endure that and then tell me slaying in objective is that bad.
I have endured it, multiple times. Slaying in objective is that bad.

Gui_PT said:
I have a question, Gabotron.

This Reach collage you're working on.. Will it be vertical like the Halo 3 one or horizontal? It would work as a great wallpaper, you know?
Horizontal for wallpaper sexyness, possibly 1680x1050 and1280x1024.
Here is a quick test I did yesterday by putting a bunch of spartan togethers to see how they would look.

test.jpg

stephen08

A27 Tawpgun said:

It's not me or Hired that keeps posting these games. But you fault me for responding to Juices saying that I am the one whoring kills in Objective? That is just laughably false especially considering the source.

Things that were accepted as unsportsmanlike conduct in the past are now being met with repercussions. See quitting and more recently idling in Firefight. Just because it's possible within the games mechanisms does not mean it is acceptable behavior.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
Because most of the discussion about Halo 3 since Reach's release hasn't been about MLG. It's been about its BTB, movement speed, spread, etc.
...that is what I meant.
Most of the mechanics in Reach, the ones you listed being the main ones, are what breaks its competitive appeal. Nothing to do with solely MLG.

Gui_PT

Gabotron ES said:
Horizontal for wallpaper sexyness, possibly 1680x1050 and1280x1024.
Here is a quick test I did yesterday by putting a bunch of spartan togethers to see how they would look.

test.jpg

Sweet, I saw your earlier post on this, that's why I asked.
Thanks

FyreWulff

Something interesting I just realized.

For someone to even hit triple-digit weekly count in Reach will take a minimum of 1 year and 11 months from launch, if you get get all of them in a row. That means roughly (if expecting a Halo 4 September launch), only about 100 new weeklies will ever show up for Reach, because I'm seriously not expecting them to add any new ones after 4 comes out *looks at H2 and H3 playlists and updates after the next game came out*

Alternate post:

Anniversary will come out at the conclusion of the 61st weekly.

6 + 1 = 7

S E V E N C E P T I O N

Anyone where that nice big sort list of Weeklies is at?

MrBig said:
...that is what I meant.
Most of the mechanics in Reach, the ones you listed being the main ones, are what breaks its competitive appeal. Nothing to do with solely MLG.
I think you're confusing fun with competitive, or rather blurring the lines. Just because people talk about those aspects doesn't mean they're talking about competitiveness.

MrBig

Seems I'm arguing with a child who does not understand his own position. No point in proving a point that he proved himself.

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
It's not me or Hired that keeps posting these games. But you fault me for responding to Juices saying that I am the one whoring kills in Objective? That is just laughably false especially considering the source.

Things that were accepted as unsportsmanlike conduct in the past are now being met with repercussions. See quitting and more recently idling in Firefight. Just because it's possible within the games mechanisms does not mean it is acceptable behavior.
Its perfectly acceptable. It's just mean to the other team, lol. Also I wasn't talking about your response to juices, but just the overall vibe you and noobs give off as the Halo Etiquette Police.

I've been playing more and more objective and last night we were praying for a 5th because it just got so goddamn boring playing 3 minute games with little resistance. We never held the objective but I wouldn't blame anyone in our position who did.

All I want is for you and anyone else to stop trying to dictate how people should play a game.

I'll let you have the last word if you want. Then lets drop this retarded discussion that I could have sworn was resolved last week...

MrBig said:
Semantics.
You're arguing the same thing I am.
Not really. Whenever I talk about Halo 3, I'm usually going on about what made it fun for me. I'm not a competitive person, so I'm definitely not going on about what made Halo 3 competitive.

Edit:
MrBig said:
In case you missed it.
Semantics - focuses on the relation between signifiers, such as words, phrases, signs and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotata.

They are dependent clauses. You can't have fun with mechanics you don't like. Game mechanics are what makes a game work and as a result enjoyable. Whether that is competitive or fun is in the beholder.
And, again, you're trying to blur the lines, equating anything to fun to also meaning it's competitive. How is not having to worry about no fall damage when launching from a man cannon competitive?

stephen08

I'm not trying to reignite the debate over objective holding but I am taking issue with some of the stuff people are throwing around because of my position on that issue. Like what you just posted for example, Halo Etiquette Police? Come on now dude. It wasn't just me and HiredN00bs with the negative view of flag-holding. I was the one who initially called you out on it but it's not like it was just us telling you it was a dick move.

xxjuicesxx said:
All I'm saying is don't act like you invented Halo Honor because I fucking did.

And you don't have it. YOU HAVE NO HALO HONOR!

This is the community we want HaloGAF? People who trivialize sportsmanship and antagonize others about having it?

Ok, would HaloGaf be so kind as to take 30 seconds to watch this vid

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21115376&player=The Henery

It demonstrates just how bad Reach is when it comes to bumping into your teammates. On a spree then...... Wow

I've made a post about this before and i'm suprised others aren't also vocal about this issue. I mean, it existed in Halo 3 but only really when trying to pass a fat, ponderous Elite. I sincerely hope this is adjusted with the TU and if not that, then certainly for Halo 4.

FyreWulff

thee henery said:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21115376&player=The Henery

It demonstrates just how bad Reach is when it comes to bumping into your teammates. On a spree then...... Wow

I've made a post about this before and i'm suprised others aren't also vocal about this issue. I mean, it existed in Halo 3 but only really when trying to pass a fat, ponderous Elite. I sincerely hope this is adjusted with the TU and if not that, then certainly for Halo 4.

Only real way to fix that is to make teammates pass through each other.

At least it's not like Halo 3 where you could force people to betray you by rubbing into them and jumping off the map into certain spots.

stephen08

thee henery said:

This is something that constantly bothers me. It seems to be really bad when the person spawns right in beside you. It doesn't feel that much worse in Reach than 3 though.

Sikamikanico said:
Hmm...thinking about a new Halo themed avatar with my Spartan from Reach in it...but I can't think of anything fun. Any suggestions?

Get a shot of your spartan midway between crouching and standing then photoshop him onto your lap with your current avatar

Also that clip made me laugh, you gotta love to hate random geometry stuff.

stephen08 said:
This is something that constantly bothers me. It seems to be really bad when the person spawns right in beside you. It doesn't feel that much worse in Reach than 3 though.

Yep, spawn red on Uncaged, everyone sprints for snip....OMG GET OUT OF MY WAY.
I think sprint exacerbates the problem. The AA bar is ticking down and you're trying to burrow your way through your teammates chest plate.

King Pocollo said:
Also that clip made me laugh, you gotta love to hate random geometry stuff.

I admit, in retrospect, it was quite chucklesome to watch.

Top Bottom