• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
Known issue in that particular build. Will absolutely not be an issue when you play the game at home.

Very Very cool to hear. I knew something kept bothering me about that video but couldn't place it till I finally figured it out. So with that done let's party like it's 2001!!

Falt said:
Who's Gamesag-HOLYSHIGHAGHDS!!!

gamesage.jpg

Unfathomable... lost for words... the words, there are none.
Please tell me that is in custom games and not matchmaking... please...

As much as I would like to adjust the Warthog, if I could only change ONE value in any of the vehicle traits, it would be this:

I would double the cooldown time on the Banshee Bomb.

Yes, double. It might actually get people to use the Plasma Cannons against infantry. The current cooldown coupled with the fact that you have to press Y to switch to the Plasma Cannons just means that everyone exclusively uses the Banshee Bomb. Really, the only time I ever see anyone use the Plasma Cannons is when there are two Banshees dogfighting and dodging each other's Bombs.

Granted, there are a lot of changes I'd like to make to the Banshee (regarding the barrell roll and boost meter and vehicle health) but if I could only tweak one number that would be it.

And if this is possible within the Title Update, it needs to be done for ALL the playlists and not just whatever Classic mode is being added. (We're still not clear on how much of Reach the TU will impact. The optimist in me is hoping for bug fixes and subtle gameplay tweaks across the entire game, but you never know.)

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:
Please tell me that is in custom games and not matchmaking... please...

As much as I would like to adjust the Warthog, if I could only change ONE value in any of the vehicle traits, it would be this:

I would double the cooldown time on the Banshee Bomb.

)
Gamesager is an infamous BTB troll that enjoys abusing the banshee bomb.

FyreWulff

I'd just delete the Banshee from Paradiso and Utopie (where he's gotten over 40k of those kills) and Spire ( where got another 15k of them). He got another 30k on Breakpoint but it's been gone from there for a while. Replace with Falcons where pertinent.

It's fine for Boneyard, where he's only gotten 5k of his total kills.

The banshee is really the Scorpion of the Skies and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, we don't have a Covenant mirror of the Falcon for keeping Invasion properly themed.

I finished cryptum on my two weeks vacation, really great book and I'm looking forward to the new book in 2012.

Did I miss any other big Halo news? I've checked some gaming sites but I know HaloGAF always has the little details.

Risen said:
Rarely do I see something new in a MM game... but has anyone seen this:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21145371&player=Risen%20GBG

In MLG with Tashi last night - Neither of us had seen it and both stared slack jawed until they were halfway across lol.

That's hilarious. I can totally imagine that happinging to me in matchmaking. I've seen some jetpack flagrunning in videos but this is completely new to me.

MrBig said:
Gamesager is an infamous BTB troll that enjoys abusing the banshee bomb.
I'm aware of that, I saw some stupid "OMG ARE YOU GAMESAGER" vid a while ago. I'm just saying that the Banshee Bomb needs to be adjusted anyways.

Ideally, my changelist for the Banshee would be:
- Link barrel rolls and flips to the Boost meter, increase the meter slightly.
- Increase the health (or resistance to DMR fire) to account for reduced acrobatics.
- Double the cooldown time on the Banshee Bomb.
- Remap the control layout for the Banshee to remove the "Press Y to switch to Banshee Bomb" feature and just map it directly to a button.

But that's just my wishful thinking and it would obviously need playtesting.

Fyrewulff said:
I'd just delete the Banshee [...] Replace with Falcons where pertinent
I don't like deleting things just to make it balanced. I'd rather fix them. The Banshee is fun to use and I think it would still be fun after my proposed nerf.

Attention HaloGAF:
I still have two one-day badges for PAX Prime if anyone here wants them:
- Friday PAX badge $35
- Sunday PAX badge $35

PM me if interested.

FyreWulff

The fix to the Spectre being able to climb vertical walls in Halo 2 was to delete it entirely from matchmaking aswell.

At this point, we'd be more likely to get the Space Banshee with the new .maps that doesn't have a space bomb (or space lasers)

Tha Robbertster said:
I finished cryptum on my two weeks vacation, really great book and I'm looking forward to the new book in 2012.

Did I miss any other big Halo news? I've checked some gaming sites but I know HaloGAF always has the little details.
Halo: CE:A pre-order bonus
Halo: Cryptum's sequel was announced. You can buy it this January 3rd.
You can 20 PAX Passes at 343i. (Just saying: I'm going to pay $120. And a lot of people are going to pay that high prices, too. So now it is your chance)

Duncan, Tunavi, Hitmonchan, Zayne, Zalin, Zeouter: Is anyone going to play today?

FyreWulff said:
The fix to the Spectre being able to climb vertical walls in Halo 2 was to delete it entirely from matchmaking aswell.
The Spectre wasn't exactly a staple of Halo multiplayer. I don't think very many people miss it.
Not like the chopper, at least.

Besides, the Spectre filled almost the exact same role as the Warthog, only with a Covenant skin. The Banshee has a unique position in the sandbox - simply replacing it with the Falcon isn't a 1:1 swap, you're taking away the only air vehicle that can be piloted solo.

At this point, we'd be more likely to get the Space Banshee with the new .maps that doesn't have a bomb.
Why would it have to be a Space Banshee? I think a normal Banshee model would be fine (although it would look cool to see the Space model in multiplayer).
I'm all for increasing the cooldown time, but completely removing the Banshee Bomb would skew the risk/reward ratio enough to make the Banshee more of a deathtrap than anything.

Hypertrooper said:
Duncan, Tunavi, Hitmonchan, Zayne, Zalin, Zeouter: Is anyone going to play today?
I'll be on in about 7 hours, lol.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
The Spectre wasn't exactly a staple of Halo multiplayer. I don't think very many people miss it.
Not like the chopper, at least.

Yeah, but it was hilarious how it could Spiderman around maps :D

Why would it have to be a Space Banshee?

Because it would be visually different / have a different silhouette to inform you that it cannot bomb you. Could just re-use the same model if you really wanted to. Like the Transport Falcon.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could bring back the Heretic Banshee skin from Halo 2..

The problem with the banshee is that on Paradiso and Utopie, the map is so vertical that the banshee can fire the bomb, evade away, and be on the other side of the map before it hits. Same with Spire, super high vertical + everyone spawns on the ground = killing field. Boneyard is more balanced for it since the Banshee only has one option for getting to the other side of the map without getting close to the ground and the vertical ceiling is much shorter.

If the banshee cannot be fixed, but I had to keep it, I'd make Utopie/Paradiso have a much lower safe ceiling, and non-Invasion Breakpoint and Spire would also have a low one too.

GhaleonEB

I'll settle for the Halo 3 Banshee. No lock-on FRG, a much more shallow down angle so Banshee's had to take longer approaches, cool downs between acrobatics. The shallow down angle was really key to preventing it from camping out over a base. I thought it was very well balanced.

Hypertrooper said:
Halo: CE:A pre-order bonus
Halo: Cryptum's sequel was announced. You can buy it this January 3rd.
You can 20 PAX Passes at 343i. (Just saying: I'm going to pay $120. And a lot of people are going to pay that high prices, too. So now it is your chance)

Ok, Thanks!

I'm going to pass PAX though; I ticket to america is too expensive for me.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I'll settle for the Halo 3 Banshee. No lock-on FRG, a much more shallow down angle so Banshee's had to take longer approaches, cool downs between acrobatics. The shallow down angle was really key to preventing it from camping out base. I thought it was very well balanced.

This too, I was wondering why they didn't have the angle limiter on it like Halo 3 did.

story04.jpg

The angle my banshee is at in that pic is about as far as it can point down in Halo 3

<_<

Syracuse022 said:
I'm glad objective holding is a "you do you" thing now - I remember when AJ got persecuted for our Victory Lap shenanigans...

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8866/14337369fullew6.jpg[/img
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/Cocopjojo/19100787-Full.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]
That was epic. Wish I could've experienced something similar during Halo 3.
[QUOTE=Hypertrooper][url]http://twitter.com/franklez/statuses/94426411389042688[/url]

Oh yeah. this time I was the fastest.[/QUOTE]
343 announcing they're switching back to the Mjolnir Mark VI. Excellent.

FyreWulff said:
Because it would be visually different / have a different silhouette to inform you that it cannot bomb you. Could just re-use the same model if you really wanted to. Like the Transport Falcon Hornet.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could bring back the Heretic Banshee skin from Halo 2.
I'd be okay with different skins, I just think removing the Banshee Bomb is a bit far. I'd just prefer the idea of making it to where the pilot "saves" the Bomb for vehicles and mostly sticks to the Plasma Cannons.

I do miss the Hornet though, it was more comparable to the Banshee than the Falcon is. And I really miss being able to carry a flag-holding passenger through the air (Speedflag doesn't count).
The problem with the banshee is that on Paradiso and Utopie, the map is so vertical that the banshee can fire the bomb, evade away, and be on the other side of the map before it hits. Same with Spire, super high vertical + everyone spawns on the ground = killing field. Boneyard is more balanced for it since the Banshee only has one option for getting to the other side of the map without getting close to the ground and the vertical ceiling is much shorter.

If the banshee cannot be fixed, but I had to keep it, I'd make Utopie/Paradiso have a much lower safe ceiling, and non-Invasion Breakpoint and Spire would also have a low one too.
As you and Ghaleon noted above, the change to the angle limiter is pretty significant. I think bringing that back would reduce the need for a lower ceiling.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
This too, I was wondering why they didn't have the angle limiter on it like Halo 3 did.

story04.jpg

The angle my banshee is at in that pic is about as far as it can point down in Halo 3

<_<
I see what you did there. :lol

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the angle limitation being the most important difference between the Reach and Halo 3 Banshees. The long approach it had to take to bombing infantry would remove a lot of the crazy base camping that takes place in Reach, and the distance allows the opposing team to put a lot of shots on it.

Valhalla was designed with tall vertical structures (rock arch, base spires) for the Banshee to take shelter in, but it would get wreaked on Hemhorrage if a long approach was required. I'm okay with that.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I'd just prefer the idea of making it to where the pilot "saves" the Bomb for vehicles and mostly sticks to the Plasma Cannons.
That hasn't happened in the history of the series except at long ranges. I remember Standoff Heavies Banshee bombs in the rear spawns. No good. I guess my position is that I like the Banshee as primarily a harassment vehicle, like the Ghost. Then you combo them with a hog or other human vehicle for the damage-dealing assaults.

I'd be fine with a Banshee sans-bomb with buffed normal firing and something more hover-y.

I don't know if this would work well for Reach though, vehicle balance is mostly fucked which makes speculating on changes so much harder.

GhaleonEB said:
I see what you did there. :lol

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the angle limitation being one of the major differences between the Reach and Halo 3 Banshees. The long approach it had to take to bombing infantry would remove a lot of the crazy base camping that takes place in Reach, and the distance allows the opposing team to put a lot of shots on it.

Valhalla was designed with tall vertical structures (rock arch, base spires) for the Banshee to take shelter in, but it would get wreaked on Hemhorrage if a long approach was required. I'm okay with that.
Yeah, picturing Utopie and Breakpoint with an angle-limited Banshee actually makes me okay with that. It seems like the worst Banshee experiences I've had there involve it coming in from a more vertical angle and backflipping a ton.

Spire would make an angle-limited Banshee pretty hard to use, but I'm okay with that too.

Havok said:
That hasn't happened in the history of the series except at long ranges. I remember Standoff Heavies Banshee bombs in the rear spawns. No good. I guess my position is that I like the Banshee as primarily a harassment vehicle, like the Ghost. Then you combo them with a hog or other human vehicle for the damage-dealing assaults.

I'd be fine with a Banshee sans-bomb with buffed normal firing and something more hover-y.
What if the Bomb projectile was slowed down? Make it difficult to hit anything but a stationary target (or a slow-moving tank).

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
What if the Bomb projectile was slowed down? Make it difficult to hit anything but a stationary target (or a slow-moving tank).
I think that could work. I'd also like to see a sharp dropoff in splash damage in a tight radius around the epicenter of the blast. Force people to either close in where they're in danger of being boarded or have to heavily lead the target in order to be as ridiculously deadly as the Banshee is now.

Havok said:
I think that could work. I'd also like to see a sharp dropoff in splash damage in a tight radius around the epicenter of the blast. Force people to either close in where they're in danger of being boarded or have to heavily lead the target in order to be as ridiculously deadly as the Banshee is now.
I think projectile speed and splash radius are two variables where you'd have to adjust one OR the other.

So you'd need to test three scenarios:
- Keep projectile speed and reduce splash radius.
- Keep splash radius and reduce projectile speed.
- Reduce both variables, but only slightly.

Reducing both to a significant degree could make it too useless outside of point-blank range.

I like the idea of keeping the splash radius as it is and reducing projectile speed, because that keeps the Bomb as the opposite of the Plasma Cannon. It also lets the Banshee bombard an area while giving any infantry/vehicles in the target zone a chance to move far enough away. And I'm not talking about a huge reduction in projectile speed, but enough to add an extra second before impact.

Louis Wu

FyreWulff said:
Anyone where that nice big sort list of Weeklies is at?
I'm not sure what list you're talking about - but I put up a list a few months ago, and it has basic sort capabilities.

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php

You can sort by any of the following fields:

challenge_id, type, image, title, description, value, date

(some are more useful than others :) )

Just add ?o=sort_type to the end of the URL (replacing sort_type with one of the above list, of course).

You can look for specific challenges, if you know their names (or parts of their names) - just add ?c=title_fragment to the URL.

(Example: http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=kettle will show you all the Drop Pod challenges.)

And you can search for specific challenge types (as indicated by the images that appear with each one) with an addition of ?i=img_num - so, for example, you could look for all campaign challenges with

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?i=2

The types are:

0: multiplayer
1: weekly (there's a single screwup on Bungie's part with this)
2: campaign
3: firefight
4: miscellaneous (or complicated multiplayer)

You can also combine parameters:

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?i=2&o=value will show you all the campaign challenges, sorted by value.

I never built a real interface for using it - but if you know the parameters, you can do most of your searching/sorting here. :)

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I think projectile speed and splash radius are two variables where you'd have to adjust one OR the other.

So you'd need to test three scenarios:
- Keep projectile speed and reduce splash radius.
- Keep splash radius and reduce projectile speed.
- Reduce both variables, but only slightly.

Reducing both to a significant degree could make it too useless outside of point-blank range.

I like the idea of keeping the splash radius as it is and reducing projectile speed, because that keeps the Bomb as the opposite of the Plasma Cannon. It also lets the Banshee bombard an area while giving any infantry/vehicles in the target zone a chance to move far enough away. And I'm not talking about a huge reduction in projectile speed, but enough to add an extra second before impact.
I think my concerns stem from a few things: a) that infantry movement speed is so incredibly slow that anyone without sprint or evade would be screwed anyway, b) that the Banshee can safely be much closer to infantry than to vehicles, which complicates any quantification of travel time, and c) I'm not wholly opposed to the vehicle lockon as long as it doesn't do the sharp turns it seems to be able to do now. I don't know. I think there are a lot of valid solutions in theory, but fixing the vehicle sandbox seems like a hopeless endeavor at this point.

FyreWulff

Louis Wu said:
I'm not sure what list you're talking about - but I put up a list a few months ago, and it has basic sort capabilities.

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php

You can sort by any of the following fields:

challenge_id, type, image, title, description, value, date

(some are more useful than others :) )

Just add ?o=sort_type to the end of the URL (replacing sort_type with one of the above list, of course).

You can look for specific challenges, if you know their names (or parts of their names) - just add ?c=title_fragment to the URL.

(Example: http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=kettle will show you all the Drop Pod challenges.)

And you can search for specific challenge types (as indicated by the images that appear with each one) with an addition of ?i=img_num - so, for example, you could look for all campaign challenges with

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?i=2

The types are:

0: multiplayer
1: weekly (there's a single screwup on Bungie's part with this)
2: campaign
3: firefight
4: miscellaneous (or complicated multiplayer)

You can also combine parameters:

http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?i=2&o=value will show you all the campaign challenges, sorted by value.

I never built a real interface for using it - but if you know the parameters, you can do most of your searching/sorting here. :)

Because I'm lazy:

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/hbo_challenge_search.php

Nutter

stephen08 said:
It's not me or Hired that keeps posting these games. But you fault me for responding to Juices saying that I am the one whoring kills in Objective? That is just laughably false especially considering the source.

Things that were accepted as unsportsmanlike conduct in the past are now being met with repercussions. See quitting and more recently idling in Firefight. Just because it's possible within the games mechanisms does not mean it is acceptable behavior.
And you guys will continue to post your "thoughts" on the games.. (which at this point is just nothing but complaining and whining about the players online persona-honor)

Which is funny after that fyre twit post.

Any who the only people losing sleep over this is you guys.

feel

Quality of Halogaf discussion got downgraded big time after this last batch..

PsychoRaven said:
Just under 2 hours from now. 11:30 Pacific time
How will the coverage of that work for us? I'm assuming no livestream

v
PsychoRaven said:
No live stream. G4tv is live blogging it when it starts HERE. 343 is recording it and hopes to have it up sometime Saturday.
Cool thanks!

Letters said:
How will the coverage of that work for us? I'm assuming no livestream
I'm going to furrow my brow and feel for any disturbances in the Force.

Hitmonchan will perfect time travel and suddenly find himself attending the panel with an HD livestreaming camera.

Hypertrooper will find a hole in the twitterverse that lets him "see" the panel like Neo sees the Matrix. Only instead of lines of green code everywhere it's all 140 character strings.

...or we'll just have to read live blogs and wait for the video to go live tomorrow-ish.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, picturing Utopie and Breakpoint with an angle-limited Banshee actually makes me okay with that. It seems like the worst Banshee experiences I've had there involve it coming in from a more vertical angle and backflipping a ton.

Spire would make an angle-limited Banshee pretty hard to use, but I'm okay with that too.
I'm recalling a lot more splatters with the Banshee, because players were forced to take flat, low approaches on bombing runs. They'd bomb and then have to boost to get out of the angle and go for some splatters along the way. It forced some risk/reward scenarios into using it. I don't see a lot of Banshee splatters in Reach because there's never a need to come close to the ground, you can just hover over players and bomb.

Yeah. TU tweak pleaze, 343?

Top Bottom