• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff

didyouknow_jetpacks.jpg

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082381p1.html

IGN: With the inclusion of things like jetpacks and sprint armor abilities, it seems like you would have to take a whole new approach to level design. How did you begin the process and how did you ensure that you were constantly thinking about how to incorporate the new gameplay elements properly?

Chris Carney: Jetpacks and Sprint definitely change the way players move through the environment. We started much of the level design before these elements really came into their own, so they did not initially impact the design of the levels. However, as we have expanded the capabilities of all of the armor abilities, we have had to react somewhat. That one jump that used to be "challenging" is now "forgotten" with Sprint. But we have also tried to balance each armor ability appropriately so their simple use does not dominate the environment. This has required extensive testing and iteration and hey, everyone will be continuing to assist us in this process by playing in the Beta!

Kibbles

When did Halo 3 fall to 2nd place on XBL for the first time? And who was first, cod4? Me and friends are trying to figure out.

Kibbles said:
When did Halo 3 fall to 2nd place on XBL for the first time? And who was first, cod4? Me and friends are trying to figure out.
Time to sift through Major Nelson's blog for Live activity... Good luck bro :p

Striker

Risen said:
The Pit played great for CTF with BR starts... particularly the MLG variant.
MLG in both Reach and Halo 3 erased the doodoo.

Each game has a handful of solid maps, no arguing there. Just too many bad ones that outweigh them.

Devolution said:
It doesn't look like a world anymore.
Nope, not at all. When you're zoomed out in space at that distance you shouldn't be able to make out such distinct patterns and shapes on the surface. Me no likey.

feel

I like the new ring now after getting past the initial shock of thinking they hollowed it out or made it thinner.

ElRenoRaven

I don't mind it except the sides. I don't like how they come down and hang off at the bottom of the ring. If they were to fix that I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Hydranockz said:
Guh... goo... nah you lost me :p (I am pretty sure I played you in Reach not waaay too long ago.)

Indeed Multi team, It was team HBO against Team Gaf, you, hypertrooper and someone else. You managed to win by 8 kills (i think) boo! Lol, just kidding! was cool.

Tawpgun

Barrow Roll said:
In the world of old Halo, sure, but this is Reach. You gotta adapt or play a different game.

KB45p.png

Tunavi's example for why Jetpacks are broken wasn't good.

The easiest and most obvious ways Jetpacks are broken is

1. By-pass all short cover by jetting straight up for a better vantage point/fly over it.

2. Breaks all elements of level design, map flow, and high ground power areas.

I know everyone has opinions and shit but I can't believe anyone would disagree with this. Jetpacks on Cage render all the catwalks and platforms useless. Jetpacks on Reflection make all the lifts/snipe spawn pointless. Jetpacks on Asylum make the open entrances to Ring 2 useless.

FyreWulff said:

IGN: With the inclusion of things like jetpacks and sprint armor abilities, it seems like you would have to take a whole new approach to level design. How did you begin the process and how did you ensure that you were constantly thinking about how to incorporate the new gameplay elements properly?

Chris Carney: Jetpacks and Sprint definitely change the way players move through the environment. We started much of the level design before these elements really came into their own, so they did not initially impact the design of the levels. However, as we have expanded the capabilities of all of the armor abilities, we have had to react somewhat. That one jump that used to be "challenging" is now "forgotten" with Sprint. But we have also tried to balance each armor ability appropriately so their simple use does not dominate the environment. This has required extensive testing and iteration and hey, everyone will be continuing to assist us in this process by playing in the Beta!
Wow... Thanks for finding this. Now hopefully everyone stops using the BUNGLE DESIGNED THE MAPS FOR THEM excuse.

As for Halo CEA and Terminals and stuff. Awesome. I didn't catch the livestream/blog. Besides the terminal and the confirmed 1 Halo 2 map... any other revelations?

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
KB45p.png

1. By-pass all short cover by jetting straight up for a better vantage point/fly over it.

I know everyone has opinions and shit but I can't believe anyone would disagree with this. Jetpacks on Cage render all the catwalks and platforms useless. Jetpacks on Reflection make all the lifts/snipe spawn pointless. Jetpacks on Asylum make the open entrances to Ring 2 useless.

Wow... Thanks for finding this. Now hopefully everyone stops using the BUNGLE DESIGNED THE MAPS FOR THEM excuse.

As for Halo CEA and Terminals and stuff. Awesome. I didn't catch the livestream/blog. Besides the terminal and the confirmed 1 Halo 2 map... any other revelations?

You know I always have wondered what Reach both Single and Multiplayer would have played like without them. I bet it would have been glorious.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Not that it would matter, either way their ineptitude shines through, it's just whether they were too stupid to design the maps around AAs or whether they failed to design the maps well around AAs.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
Not that it would matter, either way their ineptitude shines through, it's just whether they were too stupid to design the maps around AAs or whether they failed to design the maps well around AAs.

I don't think it was ineptitude but just that Bungie was so burnt out and wanted to try something new that didn't work. I really think that the separation from Halo will be good for both Bungie and hopefully Halo too.

FyreWulff

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_080610

Um... I know you’re an art guy, and the designers ultimately make the call on new stuff like armor abilities, but you’re also a pretty competitive player. What changes did you make to the map and which new weapon or ability do you think ultimately changed Reflection most significantly?

I made the biggest change in regards to the environment geometry for the Jetpack. An issue with the old map is that people tended to camp the Sniper perch. Although the space is very similar to the original, raising the ceiling very high psychologically makes the perch feel more vulnerable. Also you are now susceptible to the rain of bullets from jetpackers above you and grenade lobs from farther away.

stephen08

A27 Tawpgun said:
The quote specifically says that they reacted to the Armor Abilities coming in to their own in addition to tweaking the abilities themselves. That's part of design. Not sure how you determined this quote meant they didn't design for it.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest fan of Jetpack either. But likewise, I thought Tunavi's example was a poor one. Both of your points are correct. What I find questionable is the use of the word "broken."

It's like the jump from "dislike" to "hatred." Broken is pretty extreme.

Jetpacks are flawed and poorly implemented but are also offset (however, not properly balanced) by their weaknesses. As in being a sitting duck in the sky and a slow moving, easy target.

Implementation as a limited pick-up, only on certain maps or having the maps properly designed around jetpacks is the proper way to go.

ElzarTheBam said:
Indeed Multi team, It was team HBO against Team Gaf, you, hypertrooper and someone else. You managed to win by 8 kills (i think) boo! Lol, just kidding! was cool.
I guess the game was 3-4 weeks ago. I said that we play against someone from HBO. After the game, you sent me a message.

PsychoRaven said:
I don't think it was ineptitude but just that Bungie was so burnt out and wanted to try something new that didn't work. I really think that the separation from Halo will be good for both Bungie and hopefully Halo too.

Yeah well we can argue about whether it was ineptitude or being burnt out, either way we're left with the same thing, AAs that can make or break a gametype or map.

ElzarTheBam said:
Probably Zalin. I remember awkwardly wondering out loud if that was indeed the same Elzar that I saw on HBO :p

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
Yeah well we can argue about whether it was ineptitude or being burnt out, either way we're left with the same thing, AAs that can make or break a gametype or map.

True. I wish they were all gone but if we have to have any of them then I say keep them all. Hence when I'm playing in a playlist with them I'm one of them evil evil Armorlocking assholes that everyone rages on. lol

feel

Devolution said:
I don't like the inside. Doesn't remind me of landscape.
Oh, yeah, didn't even notice that change. I've seen planet earth picture taken from space looking that detailed and colorful. I'll be honest, I think it looks better, light probably shouldn't be noticed randomly shining off the surface/water at this distance like it used to. Maybe the original look led you to believe Halo installations were bigger than they actually are?

And in this subject, it's a shame we never got to walk/expore near the edge of one, to the point of being able to climb the big walls (seen in Tempest) and look down into space..

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:

See now that shit irks me. Go for the fucking objective. I hate people that sit back and play an objective gametype like it's fucking slayer. Course I'm not going to turn the thread into an argument about it and certainly don't hate anyone here. Even if you are one of them.

Sibylus

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:

People disagree because not all maps are small-medium sized infantry maps (a large portion also being remakes). On the maps you listed they're certainly problematic. On larger BTB maps with air vehicles, sniper rifles, and large horizontal stretches, the Jetpack fits quite snugly and has numerous downsides and counters. It isn't broken, but it's certainly arguable that Bungie's approach to loadouts and AA allotments is.

stephen08

PsychoRaven said:
See now that shit irks me. Go for the fucking objective. I hate people that sit back and play an objective gametype like it's fucking slayer. Course I'm not going to turn the thread into an argument about it and certainly don't hate anyone here. Even if you are one of them.

What's even more pathetic is after the Unfriggenbelievable medal is achieved and he is killed they still hold the objective.

Never enough.

Ramirez

omg.kittens said:
Hah, I'm 26 and I play splitscreen with my friends in their mid/late twenties all the time. We definitely prefer it over online. It's way more fun to high five and yell at each other in person.

Eh, my friends hate playing games with me, they know I'll drop the ole deuce on them. But the few times my friends and I actually manage to hang out these days, games are the last thing on our minds at the time. To each their own, they should still be in a separate playlist though.

PsychoRaven said:

I'm providing a valuable service I'm the main slayer in that setup (Obvy because I'm so pro) This lets my team get the hill with EASE. You can't just run straight to the objective and expect to win (In fact thats what blue team did if you look - that doesn't work) You need to slay hard in objective, in fact slaying hard lets you get control of a map so you can run an objective. This is how objective is done historically. If you know what you're doing that is. Do you think any pro team just ran straight to the flag in Pit CTF? No they downed three or four at once and then ran it and then forced respawn down at snipe side.

The only problem with the settings in the game I played is that the respawn is definitely too low. If you go watch an MLG Hill on Warlock you can see the respawn is higher so when you die you have to wait out a bit longer. I did give them 59 kills x 4 seconds of respawn. That's 4 minutes of players being in respawn screen not being able to play an objective. Its a solid addition to the team.

In this post I just schooled you on how to be good. You're welcome.

xxjuicesxx said:
You can't just run straight to the objective and expect to win (In fact thats what blue team did if you look - that doesn't work)
This is pretty true. Guarding the hill (essentially what Juices was doing) is quite important and for none of their team to acknowledge he was even there is pretty silly.

No quitters though...

stephen08

xxjuicesxx said:
I'm providing a valuable service I'm the main slayer in that setup (Obvy because I'm so pro) This lets my team get the hill with EASE. You can't just run straight to the objective and expect to win (In fact thats what blue team did if you look - that doesn't work) You need to slay hard in objective, in fact slaying hard lets you get control of a map so you can run an objective. This is how objective is done historically. If you know what you're doing that is. Do you think any pro team just ran straight to the flag in Pit CTF? No they downed three or four at once and then ran it and then forced respawn down at snipe side.

The only problem with the settings in the game I played is that the respawn is definitely too low. If you go watch an MLG Hill on Warlock you can see the respawn is higher so when you die you have to wait out a bit longer. I did give them 59 kills x 4 seconds of respawn. That's 4 minutes of players being in respawn screen not being able to play an objective. Its a solid addition to the team.

Shame your teamwork fell apart before you could get that last point.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I'm providing a valuable service I'm the main slayer in that setup (Obvy because I'm so pro) This lets my team get the hill with EASE.

Not only that, but by donging that harshly, we are clearing out XBL for the rest of you folks. You complain about not finding people of similar skill, well, I'm proud to say we do the dirty job of cleaning out the scrubs via discouragement. It's a hard job, but we're doing a valuable service for the Halo community. If anyone wants to PM me to say thanks or perhaps send a nice E-Greeting card it would be much appreciated.

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:

I'm happy being a bad. Thank you very much though. Besides I don't play objective so I don't have to worry about it. So anyway any bets on what time the video of the panel is up tomorrow?

FyreWulff said:
Super Jackpot Weekend is Team Snipers for 15,000cR, by the way.
Different avatar every day? I swear the time you changed the eyes creeped me out.

Snipers will be interesting to see how much people really want that jackpot.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Super Jackpot Weekend is Team Snipers for 15,000cR, by the way.

Oh sucks for those that go out of their way to get it. Glad I really don't worry about credits anymore. It improved my enjoyment of the game a ton.

Hydranockz said:
This is pretty true. Guarding the hill (essentially what Juices was doing) is quite important and for none of their team to acknowledge he was even there is pretty silly.

No quitters though...

Not until I hit my Unfriggen then kill white1 guy quit out.

Also yes in MLG the common setup was to have a guy at Yellow Green and Red or Blue effectively creating a diamond of crossfire on the opposite base. This allowed for quick kills and enough angle to always be able to hit someone. Eventually they moved to moving setups revolving around the teleporters and top bases, I never grasped it but Warlock is a beautiful map with such an easy color system and spawn system (Its borked in Reach though)

Balancing slayer and objective playstyles during a game is such a common issue, the low respawn timer in Classic Objective kind of kills that but not to an extent that its useless to slay and teams should just run purely objective playstyles.

Later tonight we're running Snipers for the jackpot! I'm excited Snipers doesn't get enough credit and its a decent playlist. I took that loss earlier today hard because its such an easy playlist for me in the past. Plus I hate losing.

Also Kyle I'm the BKCleansing because this way I'm named after the entire event/movement. Not just a singular person (at which point I'd go with BKJanitor or something)

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Different avatar every day? I swear the time you changed the eyes creeped me out.

Snipers will be interesting to see how much people really want that jackpot.

It was random before NeoGAF went to self-hosted avatars.

I change it every once in a while just like I rotate my Reach nameplate around because I have all of them.

Also, playing Halo 3 Multiteam, if anyone wants to join.

Top Bottom