• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

BigShow36

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm loving the brighter HUD from the older build.

Also, it's good to see that the FOV is retained when switching to Classic mode.

And its good to see the reticle in the center of the screen, where it belongs. Never understood why they changed that and never brought it back.

AA's like so many other things in Halo are not overpowered, their implementation just leaves room for a lot of abuse, for lack of a better term. They should have been pick-ups and certain AA's/loadouts should make more sense based on the playlist/gametypes.

Tunavi

Banned
Woorloog said:
I don't get how jetpack is OP in MP... Well maybe it has a tad too much fuel and is a tad too fast but it's not HEAVILY OP (or my opponents are shitty jetpackers).
Okay, yesterday I was in a really close slayer match on boardwalk. There was an enemy waiting down at rocket spawn. The team we were playing was good, so this was a very competitive match. Whoever got rockets would win the game. I met him there prepared for a DMR duel. We dueled it out and I had hit down to no shields, when he jetpacks up to the second level to safety. I would have won the battle if he didn't jetpack away to cover. As I rushed rockets, his teammate popped out from behind me, the jetpacker dropped back down, and I was instantly teamshot. They got rockets and won the match.

It works like armor lock. You can fight someone from the air, drop down to cover, and let a teammate finish them off as you let your shield recharge in safety. I hate it as a loadout. Not to mention it totally ruins all map design/map control.

Horrible implementation in loadouts. Frankie save us.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Or pending that, book three of the Forerunner trilogy (tentatively titled DONGBLAINIUM).
I have not read Cryptum and have no plans to, nor the sequels. I purchased the last two Halo books - Cole Protocol and the short story collection - and only got a short bit into both before losing interest. My love of Halo is tied deeply to the games, and my expectation is that plot from the games will be explained in the games. I don't want to read a trilogy of novels to understand a cutscene from a game.

I appreciate that they are fleshing out the universe, and for those who want to dive deep, it's great that they're going that deep. Done right they can enrich the games greatly, especially if they are co-developed, which looks to be the case with the Forerunner trilogy and Halo 4.

But I'm not a sci-fi novel fan, I'm a Halo fan, and of the medium it inhabits. So the new books don't do anything for me. I own and enjoyed to varying degrees Fall of Reach, First Strike and Contact Harvest, but the last two turned me off from going any further.

Tunavi said:
Okay, yesterday I was in a really close slayer match on boardwalk. There was an enemy waiting down at rocket spawn. Whoever got rockets would win the game. I met him there prepared for a DMR duel. We dueled it out and I had hit down to no shields, when he jetpacks up to the second level to safety. I would have won the battle if he didn't jetpack away to cover. As I rushed rockets, his teammate popped out from behind me, the jetpacker dropped back down, and I was instantly teamshot. They got rockets and won the match.

It works like armor lock. You can fight someone from the air, drop down to cover, and let a teammate finish them off as you let your shield recharge in safety. I hate it as a loadout. Not to mention it totally ruins all map design/map control.

My biggest issue with jetpack is how headshots seem to not count if they're at a certain angle above you, at least that's what I've experienced.

Karl2177

Devolution said:
My biggest issue with jetpack is how headshots seem to not count if they're at a certain angle above you, at least that's what I've experienced.
Another thing is that they can look at an further angle down than you can look up. So there's a chance that they can be AR spamming down, while you can't shoot up at them.

Tunavi

Banned
Devolution said:
oh fuck you're right. When they are up in the air like that, the hitbox covers your entire head, but when you look up at them like that, their hitbox is angled off so its really small, and the bloom makes that even worse. They can spam to hit your huge hitbox while you have to pace to hit their small angled head.

mind = blown.

Tunavi said:
oh fuck you're right. When they are up in the air like that, the hitbox covers your entire head, but when you look up at them like that, their hitbox is angled off so its really small, and the bloom makes that even worse. They can spam to hit your huge hitbox while you have to pace to hit their small angled head.

mind = blown.

Yup. Hence why from a distance it's easier to take a jetpacker out then if they're right above you.

Karl2177 said:
Another thing is that they can look at an further angle down than you can look up. So there's a chance that they can be AR spamming down, while you can't shoot up at them.

Good point. This is another problem I've encountered. And since turning is slow, if they pass overhead, good luck getting that finishing shot before they do.

BigShow36 said:
And its good to see the reticle in the center of the screen, where it belongs. Never understood why they changed that and never brought it back.
I remember in the Halo 2 LE DVD they were talking about a bug about bullets shooting a few pixels off from the crosshair, so I assumed that they fixed that by adjusting the crosshair, and then never went back afterwards.

senador

Banned
That CEA clip was nice. It looks a little different from Bungie-Halo aesthetics but it still looks like Halo. I can't wait to see the new look on everything.

Which clip has Terminals? I followed Gabotron's link but it was nothing.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else think when they announce what is in the Title Update, they have to make it a HUGE news story? that will certainly get more people back if they make a big thing about it.

Also I missed center crosshair as well, happy to see it back :)

Nutter

HiredN00bs said:
Well, I wasn't arguing with you, was I? I was talking to another user who presented a particular argument, and I presented the counter. Unless you have a counter-counter-argument, what are you doing here? It's nice to know you would be a jerk to me in-game as well. At least you're consistent.

Try PMing me next time if you want to have an unrelated discussion, especially since you want to keep things "on-track".
Hey at least you are consistent(on calling other members jerks) and on being the biggest retard HaloGAF has seen since MaxPL.

And with that, be my guest on bringing this thread back on track.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CEA video was relatively short wasnt it; did they talk/show anything about the terminals at all?

ncsuDuncan said:
Or pending that, book three of the Forerunner trilogy (tentatively titled DONGBLAINIUM).

My guess?
In the third book, the didact, wearing armor very similar in appearance to MC's MJOLNIR, talks with 343 GS and activates the array.
Did you notice
the armor Bornstellar receives near the end of the novel is colored black and green? Just sayin'.
:lol

That part immediately reminded me of Guilty Spark recognizing the Chief.

Goddamn, I can't wait for Primordium.

Personally I think they should nix the jetpack unless they bother to really make sure they section off areas. I've seen people get on top of countdown and hemorrhage now. I'm sure there are places on other maps as well, I just have yet to see them. It makes for really annoying games especially if they have ranged weapons.

Re: Objective farming. Can we just accept that there will be disagreement and no amount of rationalization in either direction that will get one side to agree with the other so we should just drop it? And also stop making gross assumptions about those who partake in it o(or don't) as well?

feel

Terminal/kinect-mode footage looked hot!!

t5rst0.jpg

Tunavi said:
Okay, yesterday I was in a really close slayer match on boardwalk. There was an enemy waiting down at rocket spawn. The team we were playing was good, so this was a very competitive match. Whoever got rockets would win the game. I met him there prepared for a DMR duel. We dueled it out and I had hit down to no shields, when he jetpacks up to the second level to safety. I would have won the battle if he didn't jetpack away to cover. As I rushed rockets, his teammate popped out from behind me, the jetpacker dropped back down, and I was instantly teamshot. They got rockets and won the match.

While I agree that the implementation of Jetpack sucks and that a lot of maps are not properly balanced or designed with them in mind, that scenario just sounds like you guys got outplayed.

Retreating during a DMR battle that you think you might not win at a crucial moment in the match is a perfectly viable strategy. It is not like Armor Lock at all which renders you invincible for a long duration at the touch of a button, Jetpacking leaves you very vulnerable and if you had a teammate up on Boardwalk to back you up like he had a teammate to take his place at Rockets then someone else could have finished him off. Also, going for Rockets alone when the game is down to the wire probably wasn't a very good idea either. That particular scenario is more akin someone sprinting around the corner to escape death and having their teammate mop up (a perfectly viable strategy as well) than Armor Locking.

For some reason that Minority Report picture reminded me of the time I did Halo co-op with my bf, and we pissed off Keyes by killing enough UNSCs so he chased us around with a needler.

Good times.

Crucio

Heads up Canadians, Xbox Live Rewards is now available. You should have got an email if you setup an xbox 360 newsletter.

I'm certainly happy to hear this. I was really disappointed when I installed the Bing Bar for nothing a few months back. Bring on the MS points!

So some sweet stuff in today's Halo Universe panel? Hopefully we'll be getting a video of it by next week's bulletin. Would be great! Perhaps all this along with another Sparkast? Yippee!

There are some fan clips? I'll wait for the legit videos.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, so Bungie has the unofficial trademark on Soon™. What can 343 use?

Shortly™.

Forthwith™.

Patience™.

When I say "soon" I'm quoting Spaceballs. Never even new it was a Bungie thing until someone else pointed it out. Great minds and all that. How about, "When it's done?"

Crap, that's Valve isn't it?

Barrow Roll said:
When trying to watch the video (or any video for that matter) on Halo Waypoint (Xbox 360) does anybody else get like a small shadow at the bottom of the screen that goes across the entire length? It's only there during videos, no where else in Waypoint UI.
Surely someone knows what I'm talking about and if it's been addressed at some point? I googled but to no avail. :(

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw it out there - might be misinformation (the guy is not particularly up to date on Anniversary), but the G4 live blog that Tunavi posted earlier suggests that (per Frankie) one of the maps is from Halo 2.

Headlong? Lockout? Terminal?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Barrow Roll said:
Surely someone knows what I'm talking about and if it's been addressed at some point? I googled but to no avail. :(

Bug that crept in with our Spring console release. It will be fixed at some point in a future that is not that far away.

Syracuse022 said:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll throw it out there - might be misinformation (the guy is not particularly up to date on Anniversary), but the G4 live blog that Tunavi posted earlier suggests that (per Frankie) one of the maps is from Halo 2.

Judging by the forerunner/ covenant non human themed already revealed maps my bet is Relic.

Risen

Syracuse022 said:

My personal hope would be Lockout... but would be good with almost any map from H2 as all of them are better than what is offered in Reach. If it were a large map I'd hope Relic. A lot of fond memories playing CTF, TS, and Snipes on that map.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
When I say "soon" I'm quoting Spaceballs. Never even new it was a Bungie thing until someone else pointed it out. Great minds and all that. How about, "When it's done?"

Crap, that's Valve isn't it?

Personally I like "When we're damn well ready". You guys should use that.

Striker

Risen said:
My personal hope would be Lockout... but would be good with almost any map from H2 as all of them are better than what is offered since Halo 3/Reach. If it were a large map I'd hope Relic. A lot of fond memories playing CTF, TS, and Snipes on that map.
Fixed.

Tunavi

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
While I agree that the implementation of Jetpack sucks and that a lot of maps are not properly balanced or designed with them in mind, that scenario just sounds like you guys got outplayed.
If he didn't fall back to his jetpack, I would have easily taken him out. He wouldn't have been able to retreat without his jetpack. I had him cornered, but he had to break all sense of map control with his armor ability. I would have controlled the power weapons and taken out enemy behind me with rockets.

BigShow36

Devolution said:
Personally I think they should nix the jetpack unless they bother to really make sure they section off areas. I've seen people get on top of countdown and hemorrhage now. I'm sure there are places on other maps as well, I just have yet to see them. It makes for really annoying games especially if they have ranged weapons.

Even if you can't escape levels with the jetpack, its still not a good feature for a Halo game.

Not only does it completely destroy any semblence of flow to a level, but it decreases the need for intelligent movement. In previous Halo games, getting to a specific location became a creative process that allowed players, in many instances, to outsmart opponents or gain an advantage. With a jetpack, you can reach areas of the map from literally anywhere. There's no thought to it, its just "fly up there."

It is literally impossible to design a map that has great flow while also accomodating jet packs; it simply can't happen.

I'd say the biggest problem with AA's is it's obvious maps were not made with them in mind. If 343 was smart they'd think about what AA's (if they're in game) are going to be in use on any given map, and design based on that.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
I'd say the biggest problem with AA's is it's obvious maps were not made with them in mind. If 343 was smart they'd think about what AA's (if they're in game) are going to be in use on any given map, and design based on that.

The Halo police told me this is wrong. So there's no room for discussion. =/

feel

Devolution said:
This could work. But even then: in map pickups, limited uses, no gimping base gameplay (the halo 2 kind) to justify any of them.

Tunavi said:
If he didn't fall back to his jetpack, I would have easily taken him out. He wouldn't have been able to retreat without his jetpack. I had him cornered, but he had to break all sense of map control with his armor ability. I would have controlled the power weapons and taken out enemy behind me with rockets.
In the world of old Halo, sure, but this is Reach. You gotta adapt or play a different game. Just because you lose in an encounter doesn't mean that something is horribly broken. I love old Halo more than Reach too but these are the rules of engagement now.

I still agree that Jetpack implementation is poor but I don't think it's such a horrible addition to the sandbox either. Besides, the number of easy kills I've gotten on jetpackers far outweighs the amount of times I've been demolished.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
AR sounding awful confirmed, letters am cry.

edit-
191m50.jpg

beautiful

Yes it is. I honestly can't wait to play the game. I really can't. It's going to be like playing a totally different game to me.

Top Bottom