• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Karl2177

Why in hell is Pinnacle still in SWAT and Snipers? Did they fix the spawns so red team can't set up at small tower and banshee and proceed to spawn kill?

Tawpgun

Botolf said:
People disagree because not all maps are small-medium sized infantry maps (a large portion also being remakes). On the maps you listed they're certainly problematic. On larger BTB maps with air vehicles, sniper rifles, and large horizontal stretches, the Jetpack fits quite snugly and has numerous downsides and counters. It isn't broken, but it's certainly arguable that Bungie's approach to loadouts and AA allotments is.
I'd still call it broken because it breaks many maps.

In BTB I could care less for it. Hell, I probably welcome it. Unfortunately BTB is a toilet of bad design decisions and easily abused elements and is not fun. Bring back H2 BTB. Even H3 BTB was a lot of fun. Used to be my favorite playlist. Now it's my least favorite not counting the fringe ones.

PsychoRaven said:
You know I always have wondered what Reach both Single and Multiplayer would have played like without them. I bet it would have been glorious.
I liked them in singleplayer. AA's in campaign were implemented beautifully. Camo could have been more effective on higher difficulties but whatever.

But they turn to shit in Multiplayer.

Sprint Rushing
Jetpack Map Breaking
Armor Locking
Drop Sheild Objectives
Spartans Evading out of every fight across the damn map
Hologram... well that one I have no problems with its hilarious lol.

stephen08 said:
The quote specifically says that they reacted to the Armor Abilities coming in to their own in addition to tweaking the abilities themselves. That's part of design. Not sure how you determined this quote meant they didn't design for it.
Listen, I'm not saying that NO design went into the maps. I'm more along the lines of they didn't design them well enough/designed them to ENHANCE the AA's and not limit them. Like the heightened ceiling on reflection. That only HELPS jetpackers...

Carney said...

Chris Carney: Jetpacks and Sprint definitely change the way players move through the environment. We started much of the level design before these elements really came into their own, so they did not initially impact the design of the levels. However, as we have expanded the capabilities of all of the armor abilities, we have had to react somewhat. That one jump that used to be "challenging" is now "forgotten" with Sprint. But we have also tried to balance each armor ability appropriately so their simple use does not dominate the environment. This has required extensive testing and iteration and hey, everyone will be continuing to assist us in this process by playing in the Beta!

Bold and Underlined is the main point here. How can you not see that these maps weren't initially designed with things like the jetpack in mind. Then they say, as these AA's came to be, we had to react "somewhat" Well that's specific. Then the italics is interesting as well... They said the Armor Abilities required an incredible amount of testing and how they're still testing in the BETA. And as we all know maps and the jetpack didn't change too much for the retail release.

Point is, they outright admitted the maps were NOT designed for things like jetpacks. How can you say otherwise? That the jetpack was designed with these maps in mind? Then how come it still fucks over map design and flow in many of the maps.

Karl2177 said:
Why in hell is Pinnacle still in SWAT and Snipers? Did they fix the spawns so red team can't set up at small tower and banshee and proceed to spawn kill?

My guess is because Ascension was in SWAT and Snipes in H2 and works pretty well. Why would they fix it so you can't control a map? Its amazing how much Reach discourages map control already, in fact I said that earlier today when we were completely controlling Noble Creek in Classic I said man this map is so good, it really felt good. We had outside locked down and had them stuck in their base (they deserved it they were high rank and talking shit to us pre-game), a classic control move on that map.

Ramirez

CE looks so smooth, Reach looks clumsy (lack of a better word) in comparison. Really sucks that they just didn't go ahead with the online MP part.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
CEA looks hawt.

I really hope the precision human weapon in Halo 4 is a pistol, its just flat out way cooler than a rifle.

I actually kind of do too. I know it won't happen but I would love for 343 to basically start over with the multiplayer from scratch. Make it as close to Halo's as you can with a few additions like vehicle boarding and turrets and stuff like that. Then they can build from there.

Karl2177

xxjuicesxx said:
My guess is because Ascension was in SWAT and Snipes in H2 and works pretty well. Why would they fix it so you can't control a map? Its amazing how much Reach discourages map control already, in fact I said that earlier today when we were completely controlling Noble Creek in Classic I said man this map is so good, it really felt good. We had outside locked down and had them stuck in their base (they deserved it they were high rank and talking shit to us pre-game), a classic control move on that map.
I'd be fine with it if blue team had the same opportunity. Red team spawns in safety for the most part. Last time I remember, that map had static spawns even though it was asymmetric. Also, in Halo 2 didn't one team spawn by the small tower, not in the dip between small and banshee?

Sibylus

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I'd still call it broken because it breaks many maps.

In BTB I could care less for it. Hell, I probably welcome it. Unfortunately BTB is a toilet of bad design decisions and easily abused elements and is not fun. Bring back H2 BTB. Even H3 BTB was a lot of fun. Used to be my favorite playlist. Now it's my least favorite not counting the fringe ones.
Given the factors I listed, it isn't broken in any sense of the word. It opens up new routes at a cost and adds risk for those who do so.

Woorloog

Banned
I haven't used the custom game settings much (at all more like, just quick adjustements) in Reach so i'm asking here if someone knows. Is it possible to make asymetrical Slayer in Reach?
In Halo 3 it was pretty easy, just make ONE-SIDED VIP, adjust scoring so that every kill gives one point, regardless whether the target is VIP. And then adjust the VIP team traits to whatever you want. How about shielded spartans vs non-shielded camo spartans?
But is possible in Reach? I suppose Invasion Slayer could be adjusted for this, but it wouldn't be spartan vs spartan :/

Butane123

Last time I checked (or played, really), Pinnacle still had spawn zones for each team.

I think it would be interesting if the platform with the man-cannon and teleporter entrance was taken out and rockets were moved out to the Banshee platform. Then make Blue spawn at small tower, and give the map asym spawns.

Wouldn't be the original layout, but might be a bit more even for both teams.

Edit: damn it, I forgot to refresh the page! oh well... probably responded to a post made an hour ago.

MrBig

I don't like the forerunner art direction CEA is showing. It's over designed. A stark contrast to what Bungie has done. Hopefully its not the direction 343 takes for what will be the entire environment of H4.

FyreWulff

Woorloog said:
I haven't used the custom game settings much (at all more like, just quick adjustements) in Reach so i'm asking here if someone knows. Is it possible to make asymetrical Slayer in Reach?
In Halo 3 it was pretty easy, just make ONE-SIDED VIP, adjust scoring so that every kill gives one point, regardless whether the target is VIP. And then adjust the VIP team traits to whatever you want. How about shielded spartans vs non-shielded camo spartans?
But is possible in Reach? I suppose Invasion Slayer could be adjusted for this, but it wouldn't be spartan vs spartan :/

There's Spartan Skirmish, which is Invasion with Spartan vs Spartan and Weapon drops.

However, there is currently no way to let one team gain points for killing a guy without letting other other team not get points for killing. We still don't have VIP.

There's an object on the disc variant of Powerhouse that's labeled "VIP", so Bungie was at least considering it at one point. Maybe 343 will bring it back?

tE0Y8.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
I don't like the forerunner art direction CEA is showing. It's over designed. A stark contrast to what Bungie has done. Hopefully its not the direction 343 takes for what will be the entire environment of H4.
Agreed. I want my Forerunner facilities to feel ancient and stoic.

Edit: While I'm posting, I wanted to invite you all to add me on Google+. Send me a quick message (using @ tags) letting me know who you are (if your GAF name isn't on your profile) and I'll add you to my HaloGAF circle!

Good news everyone.

2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth-150x150.jpg

I got my mic back, it's a shitty one but it's better than my cellphone one so I won't sound like I'm eating my mic anymore. So where y'all at?

MrBig said:
The ring looks good. Just a few changes voilà it will be perfect. I can live with the structure on the Silent Cartographer, but I have to agree. The structure is very "overdesigned". A lot of unnecessary details. But I can live with it. It could be worse.

omg.kittens said:
Agreed. I want my Forerunner facilities to feel ancient and stoic.

Edit: While I'm posting, I wanted to invite you all to add me on Google+. Send me a quick message (using @ tags) letting me know who you are and I'll add you to my HaloGAF circle!
Added you. (Lars K.)

You can even add Frankie to a cycle. I did it. And it gave me... ehm... nothing. But you can!

GhaleonEB

I just wanted to mention that the new playlist "Firefight Doubles" has never participated in any double or super jackpot weekend. Hint, hint.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
There's Spartan Skirmish, which is Invasion with Spartan vs Spartan and Weapon drops.

However, there is currently no way to let one team gain points for killing a guy without letting other other team not get points for killing. We still don't have VIP.

There's an object on the disc variant of Powerhouse that's labeled "VIP", so Bungie was at least considering it at one point. Maybe 343 will bring it back?
Wait, does SvS Skirmish allow customizing each team independently from each other? If yes, then i'll need to make an Asymmetrical slayer mode. If not: *sigh*
Oh and can the weapon drops disabled or customized?

Asymmetrical Slayer wouldn't be exactly competitive but with some balancing, it could be fun. Think Spartan-IIs vs Spartan-IIIs (we only need MA5K or M7/S though, for the proper stealth feel).

And let's hope VIP will be added. One Sided VIP on asymetrical maps was fun in Halo 3. And rare. Played it maybe under 10 times over the years i played Halo 3 MP.

Tawpgun

Botolf said:
Given the factors I listed, it isn't broken in any sense of the word. It opens up new routes at a cost and adds risk for those who do so.
At a cost? Ok well here's our disagreement.

It opens up bullshit new routes that break all intended player paths and make getting from point A to point B a straight line opposed to a designed path for the combat to flow... and the cost and risks associated with it are minimal. It acts as a super jump that is really loud. That is NOT enough, not for me, and not for a higher level of play, to balance out how ridiculously easy it is to move around the map with.

MrBig said:
Now that I look at it... I agree. Forerunner architecture was really smooth for the most part. now 343's rendition of it has patterns everywhere.

OuterWorldVoice said:
She mentioned someone named Mike Dongblain.
Dong and Blain confirmed for multiplayer medals in Halo 4.

Actually, speaking of Medals and H4 Multiplayer... I'm assuming 343 will be able to get Steitzer? Wouldn't be Halo MP without him.

Woorloog

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Now that I look at it... I agree. Forerunner architecture was really smooth for the most part. now 343's rendition of it has patterns everywhere.
IIRC, Halo 3 Forerunner buildings tended to have quite a lot patterns. Not as much as CEA though.

FyreWulff

Woorloog said:
Wait, does SvS Skirmish allow customizing each team independently from each other? If yes, then i'll need to make an Asymmetrical slayer mode. If not: *sigh*
Oh and can the weapon drops disabled or customized?

Asymmetrical Slayer wouldn't be exactly competitive but with some balancing, it could be fun. Think Spartan-IIs vs Spartan-IIIs (we only need MA5K or M7/S though, for the proper stealth feel).

And let's hope VIP will be added. One Sided VIP on asymetrical maps was fun in Halo 3. And rare. Played it maybe under 10 times over the years i played Halo 3 MP.

Unfortunately no. Both teams only use the Spartan loadouts and only has the universal Base Player Traits menu.

Hey You

FyreWulff said:

I really hope so.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Unfortunately no. Both teams only use the Spartan loadouts and only has the universal Base Player Traits menu.
Figures.
What about weapon/vehicle drop customization, is that possible for Invasion Slayer in general? Just remembered that standard Invasion Slayer doesn't feature Hog variants, Mongoose, Falcon or Revenant.
Invisible unshielded Spartans vs Elites could be possible at least, creating Spartan-IIIs vs Covenant-esque scenarios. Assuming Invasion Slayer offered base trait customization for both teams...

MrBig

Woorloog said:
IIRC, Halo 3 Forerunner buildings tended to have quite a lot patterns. Not as much as CEA though.
The patterning in Bungie's take on the forerunners is solely ornate. Saber seems to designing all of the forerunner architecture around the decoration.

Function first. Then design. Always.

I trust Sparth to do better for 343. He focuses on the point of things much more strongly than how it looks. I'm really glad that they got someone who is pretty much my favorite artist to bring the next Halo to life.

Woorloog

Banned
MrBig said:
The patterning in Bungie's take on the forerunners is solely ornate. Saber seems to designing all of the forerunner architecture around the decoration.

Function first. Then design. Always.

I trust Sparth to do better for 343. He focuses on the point of things much more strongly than how it looks. I'm really glad that they got someone who is pretty much my favorite artist to bring the next Halo to life.
*shrugs*
I'm fine with CEA Forerunner art. The platform leading to the map room has a bit too much tiling (or whatever the diamond-like pattern should be called), they could be larger but otherwise i have no issues with it.

The ring is fine too BTW. I admit the rails do look a bit odd at first but that's it.

GhaleonEB

Generic said:
Just my monthly check in: Has Ghal posted that review yet?

About four paragraphs and six screenshots from completion. I had a snafu early last week where my nearly final marathon drafting session was erased, and I was bummed enough that I took a week off drafting. I put about six hours into it this week, and will - *will* - finish it this weekend.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I apparently didn't read the Glasslands cover art announcement very closely the first time, cause I missed this:

Halo Waypoint said:
“Although Karen’s novel deals with the characters and events from Ghosts of Onyx, it’s the wonderful new characters and scenarios that she brings so vividly to life that will excite Halo fiction fans,” says Frank O’Connor, Franchise Development Director for 343 Industries. “We get an incredible opportunity to explore the Halo universe in the aftermath of the Covenant war, and unveil some mysteries and storylines that will connect readers to a compelling corner of the Halo universe. I can’t wait for readers to enjoy this book as much as we have.”
So frickin hyped. Can't wait to see where they take this.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:

About four paragraphs and six screenshots from completion. I had a snafu early last week where my nearly final marathon drafting session was erased, and I was bummed enough that I took a week off drafting. I put about six hours into it this week, and will - *will* - finish it this weekend.

Do you save every revision to 7 external devices?

Okay. Trying to get caught up. Will look at the four minute Youtube video of the Anniversary demo. Was that the whole demo or will a full video be put up later?

darthbob

Dax01 said:
Okay. Trying to get caught up. Will look at the four minute Youtube video of the Anniversary demo. Was that the whole demo or will a full video be put up later?

It was only some outdoor sections of TSC. Nothing internal, so no glourious map of pixels.

feel

Dax01 said:
That's pretty much it. E3 build btw.

Eventually the panel recording will come out and show it being played differently live (unless they just showed the people there the same video), but it's the same segment/build afaik.

senador

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
My paperback copy of Halo Cryptum arrived. Whoo.
Awesome! I am going camping next weekend and won't have electricity for a few days. It's the perfect time and was hoping you'd get yours to confirm a paperback version. I'll have to pick one up as I have been wanting to read it for a while now.

wwm0nkey

*goes to play snipers*

-Atom
-Reflection
-None of the Above

*everyone votes none of the above*

-Atom
-Reflection

What the fuck is this shit?

If it is not a big map keep it the fuck out of snipers!

Fuck whomever thought Uncaged snipers was a good idea, and fuck whomever made it so you are dead before you even materialize due to shit spawns.

/butthurt

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
*goes to play snipers*

-Atom
-Reflection
-None of the Above

*everyone votes none of the above*

-Atom
-Reflection

What the fuck is this shit?

If it is not a big map keep it the fuck out of snipers!
Snipers on anything besides a small map is terribly boring and just a terrible experience. That said I don't enjoy 2sk.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Snipers on anything besides a small map is terribly boring and just a terrible experience. That said I don't enjoy 2sk.
I like sniping to you know actually be sniping, not this quick scope BS

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
I like sniping to you know actually be sniping, not this quick scope BS
I like sniping to be a support and attack role, not that camping BS.

I really don't understand the appeal. Might as well be SWAT or instagib

senador

Banned
I don't like Atom, but I find it fun for snipers. Maybe it's because my team usually quits on me and I go around on my own and still do well. Plus it's open, but not too big and still has obstacles. Sucks for anything else though, IMO.

Top Bottom