• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

krakov

XHUW7.jpg

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I think it's just that I believe one of Halo's core game mechanics is map control. The area to control in Reflection is sniper spawn.

You have to fight and control that top area the longest and maximize kills. This has been the case for most of the good maps in the game. Some even had different areas you could control. Like Lockout.

The game ebbed and flowed around these struggles. Going out of them for power weapons. To chase down enemies.

The maps, ivory tower's base layout, was built with these in mind. The jetpack allows users to bypass all of that. Like you said, it makes it play differently. Map control is much less of a struggle and the match is much more chaotic.

To me, that's going away from what I loved about Halo, and turning it more into something like CoD. A chaotic mess. I think that's where you and I disagree.

To you, all that isn't too important. To me it is. Of course, if I'm wrong about you, tell me.

Let me start off by saying, for the most part I hate Jet Pack. I don't ever use it. The only reason I am ok with it is because many of my friends love the damn thing and keep coming back to Reach because of it. When I complain about it and wish for its removal, they say they doubt they'd continue playing. I wonder how many out there feel the same I'm not defending Jet Pack, just sharing thoughts.

I hate constantly looking up to the skies when fighting Bumble Bees. Sometimes I end up spinning circles, then die just because I couldn't find the guy shooting me as he spaceships to the moon. I also hate on Reflection how people just seem to fly around in the center, or sit on the pillars. Even worse is when they get up on the emblem sign thing way above sniper hallway, or somehow manage to get on the tiny ledge way up over the main hall. These are all just mainly annoying since at first you don't see them, but once you know they are easy to take down.

Yes, Halo is about map control, but I've always felt Ivory Tower/Reflection's sniper hallway was bullshit. There are 2 ways in from the side and 1 from the back. If a team takes this, I think it turns into a cheap game, especially if they have a power weapon or 2. Going up the lift is probably suicide, as they'll know you are coming, and you are stuck standing still until you arrive. Going in from either side can also be suicide as the 2 hallways are narrow and it turns into a nade fest, or they just snipe and pick you off with rifles. If you do manage to make it down a hallway, there's probably a power weapon waiting to greet you. That hallway turns into such a camping bullshit fest its not even fun. I generally hang back and take out who I can without going up there.

Enter the Jet Pack. I actually think adding the Jet Pack to Reflection is one of the only maps it works well on (but all the other things I mentioned ruin it so it doesn't matter) since teams can now enter from front and back of hallway quickly, as well as that right side window. This makes the maps play out much more quickly and the hallway gets flushed out. I'm all for map control and I know that's what Halo is all about, but I think its pretty shitty map control when the ways in are limited and the map control becomes about camping. So to me, the fact that players can get up to that hallway easier actually makes the map play better and faster.

tl;dr I think Reflection's sniper hallway sucks, and Jet Packs help break up camping there and speeds up gameplay, but I still don't like Jet Packs.

Finally got a nice match of Firefight tonight with zero lag. Should've known that Firefight Limited is really my home in Reach. Played like a champ, got a few challenges, and got to see that lovely blue flame in action. Goes nice with my ODST stylings.

Reach, its been far too long (work is a bitch). Nice to get a warm welcome back into the firefight.

(also a random observation: I can't imagine Firefight without sprint. It absolutely shines there.)

^^ agreed on the reflection bits. In Reach the level plays different, as it should. And your jetpack loves you, even if you don't love it back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
I love victories like that. There have been times when I'm playing solo against a full team of four, and dong'd them to high heaven. Feels good, man.

feel

Booshka said:
Reminded me of this awesome moment in MLG Halo 3 at an event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rpEJz4zZU

So sick indeed.
Having watched that MLG play a few times in the past, I couldn't help but to subconsciously mimic that crowd after I got that winning kill:

wooooo
*small pause to look at the score board and make sure*
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT- while in the subject of last second stuff, another moment I'm proud of, I posted it a while ago

zn92ja.jpg

postgame showed the proper triplekill medal, I suppose "game over" couldn't wait another second so it just displayed the doublekill ingame

Havok

Letters said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2a0az9x.jpg[IMG]
(Keep an eye on the score and time displayed on the pictures)
[B]9 minutes later[/B]
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/18n8g4.jpg[IMG]

[B]30 seconds later[/B]
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/5u2ts7.jpg[IMG]
[B]
less than a second later
[/B][IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/10fyq1d.jpg[IMG]
[B]I came.[/B]
[/QUOTE]
Joke's on you, you had to sit through an Isolation game.

(not to belittle the achievement, that's pretty rad)

wwm0nkey

You know I like how the only thing on Halo 2 Vista (now named Halo 2 PC) on the new xbox.com PC marketplace is only a trailer :/

LINK

Seriously 343 can you just fix the KB+M controls and put it up to download so there might actually be a community on it.
(put it on Steam too!)

feel

Havok said:
Joke's on you, you had to sit through an Isolation game.

(not to belittle the achievement, that's pretty rad)
LMAO, it's not that bad sometimes (which is about 10% of the times I play it)

Zeouterlimits said:
you playing 3 with randoms mostly?
Yeah. But I don't mind, I don't necessarily need to win to be satisfied, I just want to have some fun trying to.

I've recently got a shiny new PC build done with all the trimmings - I can now edit HD footage. Would anyone object to me making a HaloGAF community Montage?

Would anyone be interested in such a project?

Striker

darthbob said:
Was fun. (Halo 2, Summer of 2005, Glourious)
Indeed.

MrBig said:
So now in reach they combined that with the Bubble Shield and gave it unlimited uses! That's better, right?!?!?!??!
It technically has the same use in Halo 3 where your energy shields recharged, so like the Reach Drop Shield, it took you back to your full shield/health. Either way, it's an item that does not belong in Halo MP. Fine for campaign and if included, Firefight. Regen was another item I never understood the purpose behind aside from "Shit, I'm getting shot, better throw down my regen so I can kill this guy who should have killed me".

Kibbles

Letters said:
EDIT- while in the subject of last second stuff, another moment I'm proud of, I posted it a while ago

zn92ja.jpg
That is some pretty badass clutch moves right there. :D

wwm0nkey said:
The Title Update should totally add Giant Spartan mode

Still would like to know how the hell this glitch happened :lol
It's like Burial Mounds all over again, but even more awesome since you control it
KuGsj.gif
Oh wow, even the hitbox grew.

FyreWulff

Looks like the engine freaked out and started rendering the spartan model with the wrong scale. It didn't do it to the gun he was holding.

Sordid

Karl2177 said:
Mine finally says shipped on amazon. Has anyone else's second round bag shipped?

Still no sign of it shipping for me. Cancellation imminent :*(

And holy shit at that 'Slayer Unlimited' game, can't believe none of them quit. I would've been well outta there!

wwm0nkey

Gabo´s Palace said:
Wait, so no details on the TU till August 26th?
No me gusta :(
Sadly no, I do think they should drop atleast a few details before the 26th because thats a long time without hearing anything about the TU. I mean all we know is that it is removing Fall Damage so far (going to assume its an on/off option)

wwm0nkey said:
Sadly no, I do think they should drop atleast a few details before the 26th because thats a long time without hearing anything about the TU. I mean all we know is that it is removing Fall Damage so far (going to assume its an on/off option)
That would be the funniest thing ever if that was the whole TU, lol.
and the saddest :(

Ever read through 8 pages of subjects to get to the end and then have nothing to say on the current topic.

Jetpack works on the new reach maps, but breaks the old ones as you're used to a certain play style on them.

Armour lock needs to die in a fire of a thousand overpowered grenades.

As for remakes i'd love to see Relic again, loved the way team snipers worked on that map.

I was always going to forge a remake but lacked the motivation as Reach just doesn't get the same amount play with my friends that Halo 3 did.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I think it's just that I believe one of Halo's core game mechanics is map control. The area to control in Reflection is sniper spawn.

You have to fight and control that top area the longest and maximize kills. This has been the case for most of the good maps in the game. Some even had different areas you could control. Like Lockout.

The game ebbed and flowed around these struggles. Going out of them for power weapons. To chase down enemies.

The maps, ivory tower's base layout, was built with these in mind. The jetpack allows users to bypass all of that. Like you said, it makes it play differently. Map control is much less of a struggle and the match is much more chaotic.

To me, that's going away from what I loved about Halo, and turning it more into something like CoD. A chaotic mess. I think that's where you and I disagree.

To you, all that isn't too important. To me it is. Of course, if I'm wrong about you, tell me.

I've always preferred games where there was more movement. Having an unassailable "power area" where a team could essentially set up camp is boring, in my opinion. I always wanted more movement options, and Halo 2 was actually excellent in this regard. Maps like Lockout, Midship, and Ascension had a multitude of player paths. How many times did I dream of a jump up to Sniper spawn on Ivory Tower, though?

A good team set-up should be distributed across the map, not around one area of the map. The former promotes teamwork and individual skill, the latter promotes turtling/camping.

I'm not sure that you're right about Reflection, also. In my experience, the Sniper seems to have better success on the North wall or Northwest corner.

Top Bottom