• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

MrBig said:
Map specific loadouts is ridiculous. That would mean less standardization of gametypes, and a shit load of problems and testing. AA's as pick ups, with sprint as the only loadout would allow for controlling pick ups and defining what AAs are right for each map without everyone being able to do everything.
It's no more ridiculous than tailoring weapons or gametypes to a map, but I would much rather see AA's as a pickup and the ability for the dead player to 'drop' it once he's dead (with a very quick despawn timer).

GhaleonEB said:
I can get on b.net using IE, but not Firefox. Nuking all cookies and doing a full reboot didn't do it, still stuck in permanent loop. I detest IE but I suppose that's my dedicated browser for b.net now.
In case you don't already know about it, there are a few IE plugins for FF that might work for you. I believe you can set certain sites like bnet to always open in the IE tab.

squidhands said:
It's no more ridiculous than tailoring weapons or gametypes to a map, but I would much rather see AA's as a pickup and the ability for the dead player to 'drop' it once he's dead (with a very quick despawn timer).
I think I'm with MrBig on this one. We have a bunch of weapons introduced into the game, all with their "supposed" roles. But there is still going to be one that is, for the most part, the best overall weapon. In Reach, it's the DMR. And as much as I despise the Assault Rifle, for how powerful it is, it's probably the bets pair for the DMR. So give that load-out across the board in all playlists. I don't understand, nor like it, when developers use weapon load-outs to try and help define a playlist. Once the weapon hierarchy has been established, I want to focus on the gametypes and maps, not where I have to go to get the weapon I want to use.

I meant more of tailoring a weapon set inside the confines of a map, not necessarily pairing certain weapons to loadouts like in Invasion/Firefight. But Armor Lock should be the exception; Plasma Repeater only. :-D

Letters said:
10fyq1d.jpg
For some reason, this picture has me wanting to play Halo 3 later. And I will. Also, that .gif is awesome.

FyreWulff

Every time I see a Halo 3 screenshot with a BR, I remember that the bolt is on the wrong side for a bolt-action gun.

Or for some reason all spartans are left handed but fire the gun with a right hand stance.

And the caliber of the bullets are waaay overkill for the intended purpose of the gun

Yes, I know it's on the left because it looks better in the videogame. Put your pitchfork down.

Tawpgun

king picollo said:
Jetpack works on the new reach maps, but breaks the old ones as you're used to a certain play style on them.

Hardly.

Breaks Boardwalk, Cage, Sword Base, Countdown, and makes the other maps a bit more annoying.

The cage especially. The Jetpack ensures that any map that's floating in the air like Lockout or The Cage is going to have the jetpack be overpowered as hell.

HiredN00bs said:
I've always preferred games where there was more movement. Having an unassailable "power area" where a team could essentially set up camp is boring, in my opinion. I always wanted more movement options, and Halo 2 was actually excellent in this regard. Maps like Lockout, Midship, and Ascension had a multitude of player paths. How many times did I dream of a jump up to Sniper spawn on Ivory Tower, though?

A good team set-up should be distributed across the map, not around one area of the map. The former promotes teamwork and individual skill, the latter promotes turtling/camping.

I'm not sure that you're right about Reflection, also. In my experience, the Sniper seems to have better success on the North wall or Northwest corner.
Fair enough. The Halo Reach sandbox made Reflection worse with OP grenades, and its one of the maps that works better without Radar. But the sniper platform isn't impossible to take from a team. It's harder than say... top gold in Zealot, but not impossible. It's always been designed with that power area in mind, and I don't like seeing it made irrelevant with the Jetpack. Reflection aside, do you admit to the Jetpack breaking a map like Cage? Probably the worst offender there. The Jetpack makes getting control of the top layer of sword base easy as hell. I've always been pissed off at people Jetpacking up to top sniper in Boardwalk when they should only be coming from the back or the side.

But this debate is with all armor abilities so I'll say why I dislike each one and maybe you can counter with some of them.

Sprint - An excuse to make base player speed slow, removing abilities like a strong strafe. Makes the sword and hammer into incredible offensive weapons. Melee rushing, and allows users to run away from gunfights easier.

Evade - Elites can have it. Spartans should not. It gives you 2 VERY quick and far bursts of movement per charge. On the smaller maps you can literally get halfway across the map with Evade. It lets you run away EVEN easier than sprint, and makes CQC weapons and melee rushing be super powerful. Not only does it look silly on spartans, but it makes it the go to AA because of how powerful it is. Play Objective. Everyone uses Evade. It's almost as bad as armor lock.

Armor Lock - Too obvious to list.

Drop Shield - Removed from matchmaking, but goddamn was it a stupid idea to give everyone a personal bubble shield at all times that has a really high damage threshhold.

Jetpack - Breaks the map flow of maps. Simple as that.

Camo - It was once an item on the map that people timed and fought to control... that should be more than enough. The jammer is an annoying way to balance it. Camo snipers are the worst around. I just couldn't believe Reach gave EVERYONE the ability to spawn with Camo...

Hologram - annoying, but hilarious. But if this is the only non-game breaking ability then that doesn't really justify it's existence.

Equipment was much better. They helped out the team rather than the individual. But couldn't be abused like AA's. If they made AA's pick ups I would not mind. But this is mostly wishing for Halo 4. I know Reach won't make drastic changes like this.

xxjuicesxx said:
:lol

Glad to see that name is catching on.

TrounceX said:
oh i meant that i'd won 42 out of 48 :)

Arena is fun though I don't understand why more people don't play it. I really like that there is a rank based on your skill although the whole divisions and percentages are kinda lame but I'll take what I can get with this game.

Looks like you're on your way to becoming Onyx. Checking your stats you're pretty good. Might have to send an FR your way. Totally down for Arena. I went from 65% Onyx to 90% by doing nothing, so I gotta keep my black hexagon :p

Striker

Equipment was much better. They helped out the team rather than the individual. But couldn't be abused like AA's. If they made AA's pick ups I would not mind. But this is mostly wishing for Halo 4. I know Reach won't make drastic changes like this
Bubble shields, regens, the broken trip mine, and the massive radius of the power drainers disagree. Maybe if they were properly balanced, or given out rarely like Bungie initially had them intended, they wouldn't have been so poor in their implementation. With how many were scattered across the map and their atrocious timers on maps (I'm betting Isolation had regens set on 15 second respawn, same for power drainers on Valhalla), it was ridiculous. Both AA's and equipment were not used properly in MM and thus neither were truly balanced as they could have been. AA's themselves should have been map specific.

Striker said:
Bubble shields, regens, the broken trip mine, and the massive radius of the power drainers disagree. Maybe if they were properly balanced, or given out rarely like Bungie initially had them intended, they wouldn't have been so poor in their implementation. With how many were scattered across the map and their atrocious timers on maps (I'm betting Isolation had regens set on 15 second respawn, same for power drainers on Valhalla), it was ridiculous. Both AA's and equipment were not used properly in MM and thus neither were truly balanced as they could have been. AA's themselves should have been map specific.

Yep.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Hardly.

Breaks Boardwalk, Cage, Sword Base, Countdown, and makes the other maps a bit more annoying.

The cage especially. The Jetpack ensures that any map that's floating in the air like Lockout or The Cage is going to have the jetpack be overpowered as hell.

I'll give you Boardwalk, but i've never had an issue with anyone using the jetpack on the cage, as it's fairly open jetpackers are easy to take down. Sword base is made for the jetpack getting around on foot is a pain, especially if people camp the lift rooms. Jetpacking on Countdown just makes you an easy target as the ceiling prevents you from going high, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Tawpgun

king picollo said:
I'll give you Boardwalk, but i've never had an issue with anyone using the jetpack on the cage, as it's fairly open jetpackers are easy to take down. Sword base is made for the jetpack getting around on foot is a pain, especially if people camp the lift rooms. Jetpacking on Countdown just makes you an easy target as the ceiling prevents you from going high, it's like shooting ducks in a barrel.

I think you're missing the point of jetpacks.

They are NOT about going super high. They are about traversing the map. It's in this aspect they are overpowered. If people used them just to get better vantage points by going straight up it would be balanced. Going high because of a tall ceiling is like shooting ducks in a barrel. You're in the air with no maneuverability.

But Jetpacks on countdown is about using them as a higher jump. Going up the levels with ease instead of fighting your way up.

And I'm going to try and open your eyes about Jetpacks and the Cage. The Cage, and maps like it, meaning floating platforms and ramps, are designed so players can traverse only the intended paths and shortcuts and such. With Jetpack the entire layout of the map is rendered irrelevant as you can jet over all the gaps and up and down levels. It gives you an INSANE amount of freedom of movement that is fun as hell and feels great when you're doing it but it breaks the maps.

The cage is also a bad map in terms of on foot movement too, so everyone picks Jetpack and it turns into the mess of everyone jetpacking across gaps instead of moving along the intended paths.

Lockout was the pinnacle of map movement for me. It had intended paths but it also had these AMAZING jumps and shortcuts built into it that made it fun to move on that map.

But I digress. Do you see the problem with Jetpacks now? Only idiots go up in the air with them. They are shot down immediatley. The people with common sense use them to bypass the way the maps were designed for on foot movement, and go from point A to point B in more or less a straight line.

I forget who said it, but they were right on the money. Having a jetpack is almost like noclip. You can go over (through in noclip) areas of the map to get to your destination.

A27 Tawpgun said:

I can see your point about the cage, I hadn't really thought of the movement on that map that way.

Not sure about countdown, it has enough lifts and what not to get you up without jetpack, so their ability to get you up the levels isn't really a major benefit. I don't think it impacts the way the map plays if people do jetpack, Or not in any way i've seem.

It's why i actually agree with whoever said tailoring the AA's to maps, some work well on certain maps but break others.

(not being trying to be offensive putting Text in the quotes, just acknowledging i'm replying to you without taking up all the space)

FyreWulff

There's like, one or two jumps you can do on Uncaged that is only available to Jetpack. Otherwise, you're just trading horizontal speed for vertical mobility, and make yourself a loud slow moving target when you use it. Jetpack doesn't break the map, because the map was designed with the existence of the Jetpack in mind. It's not like Bungie spent 3 years making the game and then someone went "JETPACKS!" 3 months before release.

This is like saying no fall damage broke the intended flow of Halo 3 maps.

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
Lockout was the pinnacle of map movement for me. It had intended paths but it also had these AMAZING jumps and shortcuts built into it that made it fun to move on that map.

And yet Lockout ever devolved into a static set - set on BR tower = win. Set on BR tower and you control the sword and snipe and force spawns Snipe Tower or Lift. It rendered all the great potential in jumps and shortcuts almost useless. Don't get me wrong - I love Lockout. It was always a favorite - but it was more a pinnacle of concrete sets than movement.

Edit to say: I probably shouldn't say useless... as they were vital to breaking sets - but I think the point still stands that Lockout was all about a static set and not so much "movement" or "flow".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FyreWulff said:
There's like, one or two jumps you can do on Uncaged that is only available to Jetpack. Otherwise, you're just trading horizontal speed for vertical mobility, and make yourself a loud slow moving target when you use it. Jetpack doesn't break the map, because the map was designed with the existence of the Jetpack in mind. It's not like Bungie spent 3 years making the game and then someone went "JETPACKS!" 3 months before release.

Okay, fine, Bungie is just completely incapable of making good design decisions now. Either way, it's broken.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:

From that perspective you're just saying that Bungie didn't properly account for their use. Making allowances for them =/= designing for them.

king picollo said:
FyreWulff said:

Jetpacking from bottom tower to mid. jetpacking from mid to top walkway. jetpacking from rockets to that place where you can drop to rockets. Sure those are only a couple places, but there really aren't that many ways to get around, and you break all of them with those couple. In addition, once you're in the air, a couple shots and a grenade will decimate the other team.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:

I disagree with the bold, and I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion. If you were to drop jetpack users onto Guardian, or to Lockout, I could make the same statement. They're the same style of ramp and platform-based map, with specific movement routes built into it.

You can tell they added some elements for the jetpack, such as soft kill barriers and some weirdly tall walls to prevent players from jetpacking over. But as Carney said in a vidoc, The Cage was him going back to a design he had in mind when he started working on Lockout back in Halo 2. I don't think he had jetpacks in mind when he put that design down.

I'm sure he had jetpacks in the back of his mind when building it, but I don't see much evidence that it influenced the layout. The Cage/Uncaged are not good maps, but the jetpack does make them unplayable. Just terrible experiences being confined to paths when everyone else is sailing all over the place. Gunfire and grenades raining down from all sides and you have few escape options.

FyreWulff

I guess I've just never had a problem with Uncaged. Then again, I feel Midship is overrated and Lockout is the superior small map of the Halo 2 disc maps of the two, and am still irritated that Heretic took away a potential map slot for an actual new map for Halo 3. Especially since we already had Lockout twice over (Guardian/Blackout)

Tawpgun

king picollo said:
I can see your point about the cage, I hadn't really thought of the movement on that map that way.

Not sure about countdown, it has enough lifts and what not to get you up without jetpack, so their ability to get you up the levels isn't really a major benefit. I don't think it impacts the way the map plays if people do jetpack, Or not in any way i've seem.

It's why i actually agree with whoever said tailoring the AA's to maps, some work well on certain maps but break others.

(not being trying to be offensive putting Text in the quotes, just acknowledging i'm replying to you without taking up all the space)

I was using countdown as more of an example. I really don't mind jetpacks on that map because it has good movement options. Jetpacks are still annoying, but not that bad.

Jetpacks are horrible on Cage and some community maps
Boardwalk
Asylum
and Reflection

I can tolerate them on sword base but meh...

FyreWulff said:

Dude what. You can literally fly over any gaps in the map. It's a map that's floating in the air. There are VERY few intended jumps you can do that act as shortcuts. Scratch that, I just checked for myself. There are NO jumps you can do that act like shortcuts. Uncaged adds a lift and a ramp for better movement but it doesn't allow for any non-assisted jumps. Meaning no grav lift or jetpack.

You can't even compare a jetpacker to someone without one on Cage. Their ranges of motion are so WILDLY different its absurd. Everyone else has to stay to the paths designated on the map. Jetpackers can fly over any wall, any gap, any obstacle for a straight shot at their destination. Not to mention they can shoot while they do it. Sprinter has to run.

If we were of equal skill, and we 1 v 1'd on Cage. The person that chooses jetpack will have the advantage.

I hate maps that pigeonhole you into a certain way of playing. I refuse to use jetpack on cage based on principle. If I do it's usually because the other team is using it exclusively so I'm forced to. This is a problem with Reach in general. The shit mobility the game gives you pigeonholes people to either choose evade, jetpack, or sprint. These are probably the most popular AA's if I had to put money on it.

You can't possibly say a jetpacker is on even ground with all others on a map like Cage. It's just absurd. The map might as well be a flat field with some cover thrown around to a jetpacker.

About Lockout, it still had fantastic ways of getting around the map and the BR tower could be broken because of these ways. Most maps have a certain way they play out and its about that ebb and flow of control that maps them so good.

FyreWulff

You can jump from lower bridge (Asylum side) to middle platform with a sprint jump.

I make it a goal to become really good at jumps in each Halo though, so maybe some people can't pull that off.

Once again, I've never felt I've been cheaply killed by a jetpacker on Uncaged. I don't even know how you'd let that happen. Most of my Uncaged games have people using Hologram, Armor Lock or Sprint, because they get Icarus'd out of the sky the first couple of times they go around with jetpack.

thee henery said:
Ya see kids, I tell you not to vote for Hemorrhage in Snipes and what do you do? Well if you don't listen to my plea's then i'm afraid this is what happens

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20787156&player=The Henery

ANGRY

(also a demonstration of why Red spawn is such an advantage).
You'd think they'd learn not to come around that corner

A27 Tawpgun said:
Dude what. You can literally fly over any gaps in the map. It's a map that's floating in the air. There are VERY few intended jumps you can do that act as shortcuts. Scratch that, I just checked for myself. There are NO jumps you can do that act like shortcuts. Uncaged adds a lift and a ramp for better movement but it doesn't allow for any non-assisted jumps. Meaning no grav lift or jetpack.
well there is that escape route from the back of the middle building to bottom, but that's about it

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
How can you not like Midship/Heretic?

It's probably the best FFA map in Halo and plays TS, CTF, Assault (H2), Hill, and Oddball well.

It's main redeeming quality is to play this gametype and find out who is patient enough to not quit. I tried making maps for this gametype in Foundry and Sandbox but it never really felt the same.

HBO tried a similar gametype in one of their customs nights, and I don't think they knew I had previous battlefield experience.

FyreWulff said:
There's like, one or two jumps you can do on Uncaged that is only available to Jetpack. Otherwise, you're just trading horizontal speed for vertical mobility, and make yourself a loud slow moving target when you use it.
What?

You make it sound like Jetpack is comparable to grenade jumping, like there are two minor spots that you can't hop over unless you have Jetpack.

In reality, Jetpack lets you cut through the middle of the map, flying over huge gaps and completely bypassing sections of the level.

Sure, in a straight line Sprint lets you move faster horizontally than Jetpack. That might be a decent tradeoff on more closed maps like Countdown (one of the few maps that I'm okay with Jetpack being on).

But Sprint doesn't even compare to Jetpack on Uncaged. It's a fairly open level, so you're usually just as exposed. In fact, vertical mobility gets you behind the cover of level geometry faster than any horizontal movement. And on an elbow piece Sprint isn't better because Jetpack let's you cut the corner and take the shortest path - a straight line through the air.

EDIT: Derp, Tawpgun just posted the exact same thing. Sorry, Fyrewulff, didn't mean to pile on like that. :p

thezerofire said:
well there is that escape route from the back of the middle building to bottom, but that's about it
That's not a jump, that's... falling with style!

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
You can jump from lower bridge (Asylum side) to middle platform with a sprint jump.

I make it a goal to become really good at jumps in each Halo though, so maybe some people can't pull that off.

Once again, I've never felt I've been cheaply killed by a jetpacker on Uncaged. I don't even know how you'd let that happen. Most of my Uncaged games have people using Hologram, Armor Lock or Sprint, because they get Icarus'd out of the sky the first couple of times they go around with jetpack.

You must be playing against some retarded and bad jetpackers. I can 5 shot people while I take massive shortcuts through the map. You don't float up and over the map like an idiot. You use jetpack as a higher jump to get to a landing, and then go from there. Going from bottom mid to the cage in the middle won't get you shot out of the sky, it will just let you get to the cage really fast.

Honestly, I'll 1 v 1 you on Cage and use the jetpack to obliterate you to prove a point.

On a side note, I love the term Icarus'd.

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
You must be playing against some retarded and bad jetpackers. I can 5 shot people while I take massive shortcuts through the map. You don't float up and over the map like an idiot. You use jetpack as a higher jump to get to a landing, and then go from there. Going from bottom mid to the cage in the middle won't get you shot out of the sky, it will just let you get to the cage really fast.

Honestly, I'll 1 v 1 you on Cage and use the jetpack to obliterate you to prove a point.

On a side note, I love the term Icarus'd.

Looking at your stats, you'd do that, but Jet Pack would have little to do with it. ;)

Uncaged isn't great anyway, you all should stop wasting time discussing it. Jet Packs make it annoying, but I don't care about people getting to places faster, I don't have a problem getting around on that map. I just get annoyed when I look to the skies and all the battles are up there. Uncaged is only bearable because it has a grenade launcher. :)

Man, seeing a few of these Halo 2 and 3 videos and pics make me want to play them again. I think I may do some Halo 3 matchmaking soon, and try XBC or Xlink or whatever they are for Halo 2.

I'm going to be honest here--I use the jetpack a lot, so I'm inherently biased. I wouldn't stop playing if they took it out, and I play TO where it is not available sometimes, but I'll usually take it if it's there.

Perhaps it is unbalanced in certain instances, and exploitative on certain maps, but I still think you guys are underestimating the detriments that loudness and slowness bring to it. Even if I'm not shooting straight up into the air (which is actually a smart manuever in some rare instances), any time I take a shortcut on The Cage, for instance, I'm a vulnerable and attractive target, even if it's a short burn. A good team will make mince meat of any jetpacker, whether or not they're wearing the equipment themselves.

I know this is probably just going to remain a fantasy, but I really wish a Halo game's combat escalated into something with potentially ridiculous complexity in terms of physical combat. Similar to how you can already hop onto higher ledges and stuff in Crysis, but more. The basic functions would still be there (jump/reload/strafe/etc), but I see Halo being one of the few places where implausible, Red vs Blue CGI-style action would actually not only be possible, but justified. For example, instead of the normal "clang" effect where two people can kill eachother by meleeing at the same time, you could, say, block their weapon's whack with one hand, disarm them, and then punch them in the face/stab them for a counter-kill. It would basically be a lot of button combos a la Halo 2, but it wouldn't just be for combat--think Mirror's Edge, using parkour and the already elevated jumps Spartans/Elites have to get around maps, stuff like that. It would probably be impossible and make professionals outright unkillable once they had most of the commands down, but I can dream.

Risen

FyreWulff said:

That is completely all I thought of when I saw the 1v1 LOL!

and

Zee-V70 said:
I know this is probably just going to remain a fantasy, but I really wish a Halo game's combat escalated into something with potentially ridiculous complexity in terms of physical combat. Similar to how you can already hop onto higher ledges and stuff in Crysis, but more. The basic functions would still be there (jump/reload/strafe/etc), but I see Halo being one of the few places where implausible, Red vs Blue CGI-style action would actually not only be possible, but justified. For example, instead of the normal "clang" effect where two people can kill eachother by meleeing at the same time, you could, say, block their weapon's whack with one hand, disarm them, and then punch them in the face/stab them for a counter-kill. It would basically be a lot of button combos a la Halo 2, but it wouldn't just be for combat--think Mirror's Edge, using parkour and the already elevated jumps Spartans/Elites have to get around maps, stuff like that. It would probably be impossible and make professionals outright unkillable once they had most of the commands down, but I can dream.

I'm with you here... I'd love it.

HiredN00bs said:
I'm going to be honest here--I use the jetpack a lot, so I'm inherently biased. I wouldn't stop playing if they took it out, and I play TO where it is not available sometimes, but I'll usually take it if it's there.

Perhaps it is unbalanced in certain instances, and exploitative on certain maps, but I still think you guys are underestimating the detriments that loudness and slowness bring to it. Even if I'm not shooting straight up into the air (which is actually a smart manuever in some rare instances), any time I take a shortcut on The Cage, for instance, I'm a vulnerable and attractive target, even if it's a short burn. A good team will make mince meat of any jetpacker, whether or not they're wearing the equipment themselves.
It doesn't matter how quickly they can kill you, you can still get two grenades out and get a couple kills with little to no effort - especially on The Cage/Uncaged where there aren't ways out. And smart users of jetpacks don't just stay in the air, they use it to cross platforms quickly, then get back into cover.

senador said:
wwm0nkey is going to lose his shit. haha

There's this:
http://www.xbconnect.com/

I was going to play with some reddit people using this:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

The only thing that turns me off of it is that I believe you have to have your 360 wired to the router. I can do that, but all my cables are zip tied to my tv stand. Blast.
I would love to play some Halo: CE or Halo 2 on XBC. If we play CE though, we need to Skype.

Top Bottom