• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

BigShow36

reggie said:
You can't melee or throw grenades while dual wielding for one. If you honestly believe it was as simple as "close=win, far=lose" you obviously didn't play much Halo 2.

Yes, I got to the top of the h2h leaderboard by not playing Halo 2 or knowing anything about it.

BigShow36

reggie said:
Doesn't change the fact that you're talking out of your ass.

The argument is essentially, "Yes it did," "No it didn't," "Yes it did," "Nuh uh."

If you want to believe that dual wielding was some strategic chess match, be my guest. I'll continue to trust my own assessments.

Striker

Devolution said:
Just bring up problems you had with it and people are more inclined to respond with points rather than insults. Have you been reading my posts about 2? They're not really complimentary right now and no one is frothing at the mouth with me.
I'm not going to sit here and say it's perfect neither. People tend to think that way, but whatever. It had the best set of maps, overall weapon (including combat against vehicles) sandbox, and gametypes in my view. Not really hard to figure out.

But in the same token, I try to look at these point of views of where "I rather spawn with an AR in Halo 3" and I'm trying really hard to understand. I don't think I'm overblowing it, but the gun was a total piece of shit.

reggie said:
You can't melee or throw grenades while dual wielding for one. If you honestly believe it was as simple as "close=win, far=lose" you obviously didn't play much Halo 2.

If someone liked that they could take people on with one weapon and still use those abilities in CE (in close range) the fact that they lost those abilities in h2 would piss them off. That's the point to take home here, at least from me.

Striker said:
I'm not going to sit here and say it's perfect neither. People tend to think that way, but whatever. It had the best set of maps, overall weapon sandbox, and gametypes in my view. Not really hard to figure out.

But in the same token, I try to look at these point of views of where "I rather spawn with an AR in Halo 3" and I'm trying really hard to understand. I don't think I'm overblowing it, but the gun was a total piece of shit.

Oh I don't get the I'd rather spawn with an AR jive either. I'd rather spawn with a precision weapon like CE, which isn't perfect for every firefight I engage in, but still well rounded and fair for everyone to spawn with, even as they pick up weapons on the map. Nothing was more annoying to me than to spawn with SMG/AR only to be picked off by people who horded BRs/Carbine the whole game.

Havok

Maps are half of what make a multiplayer game great. Saying that Reach's multiplayer is great minus the awful, awful maps is like saying that driving a Ferrari down a pothole-filled dirt road with fallen trees blocking the way is fun, even if I agreed with you about the gameplay.

Also in this analogy there are people throwing (verbal) fecal matter at your windshield.

stephen08

wwm0nkey said:
Every Halo game till ODST was good. Ive lost my interest with Reach very very quickly. I do not think any of the flaws are being overblown, the flaws in Reach are major and are kind of killing the fun.

Every Halo game has been good. Some moreso than others. If you honestly think Reach is a bad game you need to broaden your horizons.

I never bought the whole balancing argument for duals that since you can't melee or throw grenades. You can do those things if the need arises, it just forces you to drop your weapon. The only time I would dual wield is if I hadn't found a BR yet.

Havok said:
Maps are half of what make a multiplayer game great. Saying that Reach's multiplayer is great minus the awful, awful maps is like saying that driving a Ferrari down a pothole-filled dirt road with fallen trees blocking the way is fun, even if I agreed with about the gameplay.

Also in this analogy there are people throwing (verbal) fecal matter at your windshield.

Maps are a big part of it but good maps are worthless without good gameplay. Halo 2 had enough issues that the maps were wasted on it.

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:
Every Halo game has been good. Some moreso than others. If you honestly think Reach is a bad game you need to broaden your horizons.

I never bought the whole balancing argument for duals that since you can't melee or throw grenades. You can do those things if the need arises, it just forces you to drop your weapon. The only time I would dual wield is if I hadn't found a BR yet.
Never said it was bad, I still play it so its obviously playable. The fun just kind of gets sucked out of you super quickly though.

This should be fixed with the Title Update and the 6 guaranteed to be good maps we are getting on November.

BigShow36

reggie said:
I knew this was coming and edited my post. Read again.

Meleeing dropped your second weapon and connected anyway. You could melee and throw a grenade with literally no noticeable penalty while dual wielding.

stephen08 said:

Maps are a big part of it but good maps are worthless without good gameplay. Halo 2 had enough issues that the maps were wasted on it.
I don't think we're saying that Reach is an objectively bad game. We're saying that compared to the other Halo games Reach is pretty bad.

and I agree with the maps being a lot of the issues. MW3 is shipping with 16 maps and that's a pretty big reason of why I'm getting it.

Risen

stephen08 said:
Reach is the best Halo MP game maps notwithstanding. It has it's flaws just like every other game in the series but they are getting overblown.

Your opinion of Reach is overblown.

stephen08

wwm0nkey said:
Never said it was bad, I still play it so its obviously playable. The fun just kind of gets sucked out of you super quickly though.

This should be fixed with the Title Update and the 6 guaranteed to be good maps we are getting on November.

That will certainly help matters. There are a number of great maps already in Reach though. Swordbase, Powerhouse, Reflection, Anchor 9, Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands, Condemned, and then you have the Forge World remakes like Pinnacle and Asylum.

Even the "bad" maps don't hit the lows that past Halo games have hit IMO.

thezerofire said:
I don't think we're saying that Reach is an objectively bad game. We're saying that compared to the other Halo games Reach is pretty bad.

and I agree with the maps being a lot of the issues. MW3 is shipping with 16 maps and that's a pretty big reason of why I'm getting it.

It's true. I think a lot of people miss h2 because there was

Beaver Creek (remake BUT STILL GOOD, looking at you FW)
Burial Mounds (didn't like it as much at the time seems so awesome compared to recent stuff)
Headlong
Lockout
Midship
Relic (again didn't like it much when I played it but it was definitely a more active btb map)
Sanctuary
Terminal
Turf
Warlock
Waterworks

Striker

thezerofire said:
Some in here also believe there were bad Halo games before Reach, too, and do not act as if Reach is the first bizarre design they have done.

thezerofire said:
I agree with the maps being a lot of the issues. MW3 is shipping with 16 maps and that's a pretty big reason of why I'm getting it.
Maps were a large issue in in H3 and Reach - not necessarily by the count, but by quality.

Halo 1 maps weren't very good, either. Halo 2 improved them in ever single fashion, notably Battle Creek and Blood Gulch. They even tried replicating Derelict into a decent experience.

Tawpgun

I see where Stephen is coming from. Halo 2 had a fuckton of glitches. Button Combos (which I actually liked, despite being terrible at them) Super Jumping, super eazy to mod, melees not connecting...

But if I take a LAN game of Halo 2 and play a LAN game of Reach... I'd enjoy 2 a lot more.

I think technically and polish wise, Reach is the better built game. But design wise H2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x 10 ^9001 Reach.

Honestly, the only thing holding 3 back from taking that spot was non-hitscan, spread, boring campaign (imo, I like story in campaign, but I recognize gameplay wise H3 was better) and inferior to Halo 2 maps.

stephen08 said:
That will certainly help matters. There are a number of great maps already in Reach though. Swordbase, Powerhouse, Reflection, Anchor 9, Tempest, Breakpoint, Highlands, Condemned, and then you have the Forge World remakes like Pinnacle and Asylum.

Dude what.

The bolded, but this entire post, wat.

stephen08 said:

one of the worst maps to ever see multiplayer gaming, and most of the ones you posted are DLC and really mediocre anyway

and Pinnacle and Asylum are shitty remakes too.

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:

2ry3vqa.gif

BigShow36

stephen08 said:

The problem is, a maps playability is intrisically tied to the weapon sandbox and its functionality. When you have a game thats as slow as Reach, its really hard to get "good" maps that play well. It really only caters to a certain style of map; one's that have wide-open, medium range sight lines where teamshot rules.

stephen08 said:

Swordbase is frankly awful. The movement on that map is just ugh. Too much verticality in Halo maps without more avenues of movements like ramps is awful. Lifts don't really help that map at all.

Reflection is a sorry ass Ivory Tower which I never understood the allure for in the first place. The nades don't even bounce right on that map.

Breakpoint is a terribly awkward invasion map that suffers from objectives just being spawn, rush, die.

Highlands is a turtlefest.

Condemned would be okay if not for the middle anti-grav section that just screams: what's the point of the frame loss here?

Asylum is a terrible sanctuary remake that lets the snipers camp in the bases instead of mid because of sight lines.

Risen

stephen08 said:

How do you personally define a "great map"?

Because you honestly list maps that have little to do with one another apart from being terrible.

Be it frame rate, low gravity, poor flow, or unbalanced initial spawns... one can make a case for Powerhouse being a good one sided objective map, but apart from that you have crap for competitive game play when compared to previous map releases in Halo games.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You guys are nuts. Reach has great multiplayer.

I loved Halo 2 as much as the next guy, and think it had the best maps, but dual-wielding focus in Halo 2 was way more of a downfall than anything in Reach MP. Halo 3 was a solid experience. Reach is better though.

One of the things I love about the level "Halo" is the fact that all the level's skyboxes are loaded from the start, and they're pretty easy to find. :lol

Yes, this is where all cutscenes take place. Kind of disappointing at first, huh? :lol

Somehow, though, the ones from the start of the level are proving a lot more elusive than the ones from the ending.

Risen said:

Because you honestly list maps that have little to do with one another apart from being terrible.

Be it frame rate, low gravity, poor flow, or unbalanced initial spawns... one can make a case for Powerhouse being a good one sided objective map, but apart from that you have crap for competitive game play when compared to previous map releases in Halo games.

Swordbase's blue spawns for objective. Oh my god, I get those spawns and I go get something to drink. I'm not kidding.

feel

stephen08 said:

what no

Reach wishes it could have Isolation, Snowbound, Epitaph or Orbital.

stephen08

Risen said:

The maps don't have to be similar to one another to be great. They are good in their own right. How competitvely viable a map is does not interfere with how much fun it is for me. Stockpile was inherently unbalanced on Swordbase but I have had a ton of fun playing that gametype/map combo.

stephen08 said:
The maps don't have to be similar to one another to be great. They are good in their own right. How competitvely viable a map is does not interfere with how much fun it is for me. Stockpile was inherently unbalanced on Swordbase but I have had a ton of fun playing that gametype/map combo.
>Swordbase
>Stockpile

alright, we're done here

Risen

stephen08 said:

You drew the similarity in calling them all great - I was merely saying the only similarity is they were all terrible.

You are the EXACT target audience for shooters made today... you should feel proud.

Ramirez

lol, great multiplayer maps in Reach, followed by posting Swordbase, Condemned, Break Point, Reflection, Pinnacle, and Asylum. smh

Dare I say it, after Anniversary comes out, it would not bother me one bit to never play a Reach disc map ever again.

stephen08 said:

One can always go backwards with competitive maps for people who want more "chaotic fun." One cannot move forward with flawed maps.

Striker

Deadly Cyclone said:
You guys are nuts. Reach has great multiplayer.

I loved Halo 2 as much as the next guy, and think it had the best maps, but dual-wielding focus in Halo 2 was way more of a downfall than anything in Reach MP. Halo 3 was a solid experience. Reach is better though.
AR starts in both games were ass. I rather watch a dog lick its sack than play either.

stephen08

Risen said:
You drew the similarity in calling them all great - I was merely saying the only similarity is they were all terrible.

You are the EXACT target audience for shooters made today... you should feel proud.

You are the EXACT kind of jerk I put on my ignore list. Considering I despise CoD, the shooter which everyone is trying to both emulate and one-up you could also not be more wrong.

I look forward to never being forced to read your tripe again.

Devolution said:
One can always go backwards with competitive maps for people who want more "chaotic fun." One cannot move forward with flawed maps.
Yes, that's true. It still doesn't stop me from having fun on Swordbase every time I play it.

Tawpgun

Can 343i consider putting in a community version of Asylum? The map plays great, but the fucked up sightlines almost ruin it.

Sword base is a terrible map. It took inspiration from Boarding Action which I always considered as one of the joke maps. It's just so closed off and cramped....

Countdown could be made amazing with some weapon changes. Would be nice if they opened the doors up fully too.

senador

Banned
Say you were magic and could make Halo iterations and developments "perfect". What would you want from the newest game if the previous one was so great?

stephen08 said:
Yes, that's true. It still doesn't stop me from having fun on Swordbase every time I play it.

If you can admit to this point then you should understand completely why people have problems with Reach maps and the direction they took with this game.

Ramirez

Stephen is that guy always camping top gold with sword/shotgun on Swordbase, the only way one could really enjoy that map.

^ So true VH, this game is so broken it's not even worth arguing about anymore, the game's getting a TU for a reason. It won't fix everything, but maybe it can salvage it enough to make it til Halo 4. I'm interested in seeing how far Reach is gonna drop once all the big MP games come out this holiday.

stephen08

Devolution said:
If you can admit to this point then you should understand completely why people have problems with Reach maps and the direction they took with this game.

Yeah that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone their own fun. Ultimately though, it is overblown. If it wasn't, these people who identify Reach as the worst Halo would be off playing Halo 3 which is still very much functional. But they don't. They complain about Reach and play it night after night.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
Yeah that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone their own fun. Ultimately though, it is overblown. If it wasn't, these people who identify Reach as the worst Halo would be off playing Halo 3 which is still very much functional. But they don't. They complain about Reach and play it night after night.

It's not that cut and dry, you have to be pretty dense to not notice how much cleaner the netcode is in Reach compared to 3. I play Reach semi regular because I have nothing else to play at the moment, and the alternatives are even worse, which speaks to how sad the rest of the industry is I guess. I will be taking a nice vacation on the 20th though.

Top Bottom