• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Homeboyd

reggie said:
I understand Halo 2 was development hell, but what came out the other side was golden. If you're telling me Halo 2 was a fluke and that Reach was their real Halo, then why is Bungie still considered an AAA developer?
Because their shit sells like a mofo!

Halo 2 a failure? No way.

Just no.

Could it have been better? Sure. But calling it a failure is laughable.

Halo 2 was an overambitious project that ran into horrendous scheduling problems. The multiplayer was revolutionary and while the campaign may not have lived up to their initial hopes it was still a well-received experience. Looking back and focusing only on the problems it had is ridiculous.

I'm sure they regret how brutal the game's development turned out, but I'd be shocked if they weren't proud of the final product.

Failure? Really?

BigShow36

ncsuDuncan said:
Halo 2 a failure? No way.

Just no.

Could it have been better? Sure. But calling it a failure is laughable.

Halo 2 was an overambitious project that ran into horrendous scheduling problems. The multiplayer was revolutionary and while the campaign may not have lived up to their initial hopes it was still a well-received experience. Looking back and focusing only on the problems it had is ridiculous.

I'm sure they regret how brutal the game's development turned out, but I'd be shocked if they weren't proud of the final product.

Failure? Really?

Halo 2's MP was only revolutionary in how badly it downgraded from the previous games MP.

BigShow36 said:
Halo 2's MP was only revolutionary in how badly it downgraded from the previous games MP.

Ouch. I can see both sides of the argument though. The BR being the only weapon used (and close range weaps being useless) did get monotonous. I think CE balanced spawning with a great weapon but still having useful other weapons on the map to use, and h2 failed in that regard.

Halo 1 plasma rifle for instance slowed opponents down and you could melee them to death (or even rotate around them and smack 'em in the back), in h2 it was a piece of shit, like many close range weapons. They tried to bring that h1 balance back with duals and it was awful.

BigShow36 said:

If you're going to drive by post and not bother to expand your arguments, fuck right off. As much as I disagree with some people here, they at least respond with discussion.

Sai-kun said:
I guess the Halo 1 part isn't that weird. I was only 10 when it came out. But I was 17 when Halo 3 came out, so you being 13 then is weird. :lol I think you're the youngest Halogaffer now.

Yeah, 13 and 17 sounds like a much bigger difference then 7 and 10.

I'm not the youngest though, nollemaster is 16 and I can remember another guy ashamed for his age :lol

wwm0nkey

Halo CE MP > Great fun and amazing LAN experince

Halo 2 MP > Redefined online gaming for the consoles and was great fun as well

Halo 3 > Pretty good, some hitches here and there but over all good

Reach > What happened here?

Havok

Devolution said:
The BR being the only weapon used (and close range weaps being useless) did get monotonous.
?

It was a utility weapon, isn't that what everybody is asking for now? Power weapons were still sought after, it wasn't like a BR could fuck up a rocket guy consistently. As for close range weapons, the shotgun was busted, but the sword (while overpowered as all hell) and certain dual combos weren't useless. SMG/PR, SMG/Mag, PP/Mag, I remember using them all to great effect. SMG starts sucked, but the weapon itself wasn't that bad in its intended range. I dunno, I know its not a popular opinion, but I didn't hate what DW did to the sandbox. Single-hand weapons were all over the place on those maps, I'd rather spawn with an SMG than the Halo 3 AR.

stephen08 said:
Man there are some rose-coloured glasses when it comes to Halo 2. I would gladly take 3, or better yet, Reach any day of the week.
I played it last week. It was fun. Shocking, I know. Stop assuming that the only reason people can like something from before is nostalgia.

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:
Man there are some rose-coloured glasses when it comes to Halo 2. I would gladly take 3, or better yet, Reach any day of the week.
I still play Halo 2 with friends or on PC. No rose tinted glasses here, it was actually just a fun game.

Guess you are just looking at things with shit tinted glasses or something.

BigShow36

Devolution said:
Ouch. I can see both sides of the argument though. The BR being the only weapon used (and close range weaps being useless) did get monotonous. I think CE balanced spawning with a great weapon but still having useful other weapons on the map to use, and h2 failed in that regard.

Halo 1 plasma rifle for instance slowed opponents down and you could melee them to death (or even rotate around them and smack 'em in the back), in h2 it was a piece of shit, like many close range weapons. They tried to bring that h1 balance back with duals and it was awful.

Halo 2 completely threw gun skill out the window, which in turn bleeds through into every other facet of "skill" in a Halo game. It ushered in the Halo era of "teamshot or die - individual skill means nothing," which was the antithesis of what made me love Halo in the first place.

Devolution said:
If you're going to drive by post and not bother to expand your arguments, fuck right off. As much as I disagree with some people here, they at least respond with discussion.

What part of the question warranted further explanation? He asked if I'd been reading the thread, and I haven't in recent days. "Nope" was a concise, truthful reply.

BigShow36

Havok said:
?

It was a utility weapon, isn't that what everybody is asking for now? Power weapons were still sought after, it wasn't like a BR could fuck up a rocket guy consistently. As for close range weapons, the shotgun was busted, but the sword (while overpowered as all hell) and certain dual combos weren't useless. SMG/PR, SMG/Mag, PP/Mag, I remember using them all to great effect. SMG starts sucked, but the weapon itself wasn't that bad in its intended range. I dunno, I know its not a popular opinion, but I didn't hate what DW did to the sandbox. Single-hand weapons were all over the place on those maps, I'd rather spawn with an SMG than the Halo 3 AR.

We want a utility weapon that has an actual skill curve. A utility weapon that is basically an auto-hit completely destroys any semblance of balance the game otherwise would have obtained. Thus began the rock/paper/scissors balance of Halo games.

CyReN

BigShow36 said:
Halo 2 completely threw gun skill out the window, which in turn bleeds through into every other facet of "skill" in a Halo game. It ushered in the Halo era of "teamshot or die - individual skill means nothing," which was the antithesis of what made me love Halo in the first place.

What part of the question warranted further explanation? He asked if I'd been reading the thread, and I haven't in recent days. "Nope" was concise, truthful reply.

Nice to see you over here.

MrBig

People have different opinions on what makes a game. I hate to see people throwing their own shit at people like this.

Tha Robbertster said:
Yeah, 13 and 17 sounds like a much bigger difference then 7 and 10.

I'm not the youngest though, nollemaster is 16 and I can remember another guy ashamed for his age :lol

That´s true, I´m still wearing my Halo diapers.

halodiaperlol.jpg

Striker

stephen08 said:
The fuck?

wwm0nkey said:
Halo CE MP > Great fun and amazing LAN experince

Halo 2 MP > Redefined online gaming for the consoles and was great fun as well

Halo 3 > Pretty good, some hitches here and there but over all good

Reach > What happened here?
Both the past two iterations were attempts to become new, fresh, and entertaining on all levels but fell for a disappointment. It is probably a good thing 343 has took over, but even then we are still unsure where they lead us to.

BigShow36

CyReN said:
Nice to see you over here.

Why thank you. Despite my distain for recent Halo games, I hope the series one day returns to the gameplay I fell in love with in the first place, so I still doggedly still around.

Havok said:
?

Like I said CE balanced spawning with a multi-purpose weapon but then retaining weapons (not solely power weapons mind you) that could be superior at their intended range. H2 just had duals which if I'm being honest, weren't terrible but weren't all that consistent if I can recall. Not to mention a pain in the ass when people just dual up and no other weapons are available for the taking. I hated the SMG start on maps like burial mounds, useless.

Also I'll get some flack for this, but I've hated the implementation of sword since h2. It always seemed like an OP weapon to me with no real place in the sandbox other than distance and irritation. And the range on that thing in h2 was ridiculous.

Devolution said:
SMG was a failure and those SMG starts were terrible. But I grew to like 2 and a glitchless 2 I'd take over 3 or Reach any day of the week.

What I don't understand is if the SMG was recognized as a failure of a starting weapon by Bungie, why the hell did the AR happen in H3?

BigShow36 said:

I'd argue that this isn't completely true. There was plenty of individual skill to retain in 2. Maybe not as much as CE, but there was still headshotting and dancing in 2.

What part of the question warranted further explanation? He asked if I'd been reading the thread, and I haven't in recent days. "Nope" was a concise, truthful reply.

Why bother engaging in a discussion if you're just going to walk in, say something you know is going to piss people off, and basically admit you haven't been paying attention to anything prior. It's basically trolling.

Havok

That's valid enough for me, devo. The series has been diverse enough that you can't please everyone, and I'm not gonna argue my unpopular opinion - I know it won't change anyone's mind. The point I'm making in a lot of these cases is that DW wasn't the problem, SMG starts were.

Steelyuhas said:
What I don't understand is if the SMG was recognized as a failure of a starting weapon by Bungie, why the hell did the AR happen in H3?
"<Starting Weapon> will finally be a viable starting weapon this time around!" - Games Journalist Quoting Guy from Bungie - 2004, 2007, 2010.

Striker

Devolution said:
Like I said CE balanced spawning with a multi-purpose weapon but then retaining weapons (not solely power weapons mind you) that could be superior at their intended range. H2 just had duals which if I'm being honest, weren't terrible but weren't all that consistent if I can recall. Not to mention a pain in the ass when people just dual up and no other weapons are available for the taking. I hated the SMG start on maps like burial mounds, useless.

Also I'll get some flack for this, but I've hated the implementation of sword since h2. It always seemed like an OP weapon to me with no real place in the sandbox other than distance and irritation. And the range on that thing in h2 was ridiculous.
Duals allowed a player set up in defensive mode if met with a BR, snipe, or Sword user. A SMG/Mag or SMG/PR user can take down a good BR user within seconds if he gets the good jump (i.e. not shacked in a corner or ledge). In games like Reach and H3 the AR isn't able to do that without any assistance of a melee or well placed grenade. No chance do AR users survive against precision based users without help - and with H2's mobility and all the different types of jumps that could be made in maps like Lockout, Turf, and so on, it provided a very lengthy and versatile experience.

Also Burial Mounds best gametype was 1-flag and 1-bomb, which featured BR starts. Team Snipers and Rifle also had their place there which worked wonderfully.

Havok said:
That's valid enough for me, devo. The series has been diverse enough that you can't please everyone, and I'm not gonna argue my unpopular opinion - I know it won't change anyone's mind..

Well I liked 2, but even if it was brought back I can see right away where people would get pissed off with it, especially in the context of CE and Reach. It wasn't perfect by any stretch. And I recognize what I consider some of its strengths and its weaknesses.

Striker said:
Duals allowed a player set up in defensive mode if met with a BR, snipe, or Sword user. A SMG/Mag or SMG/PR user can take down a good BR user within seconds if he gets the good jump (i.e. not shacked in a corner or ledge). In games like Reach and H3 the AR isn't able to do that without any assistance of a melee or well placed grenade. No chance do AR users survive against precision based users without help - and with H2's mobility and all the different types of jumps that could be made in maps like Lockout, Turf, and so on, it provided a very lengthy and versatile experience.

I get what the purpose of duals was, my main point was I didn't really see the follow through in most games. SMG + Pistol was damn good but the BR would still have an edge, especially the ability to nade without dropping your weapon. (Am I remembering that right? You nade, you drop your dual? Or was it just melee?) The balance of one handed weapons in CE insured you could take someone on with a weapon, toss nades and melee.

The best dual if I recall right was double pistol, especially against br holders, but good luck finding them or ammo.

BigShow36

Striker said:

The problem with duals wasn't their functionality, it was how stupidly easy they were. Just pick up two weapons and literally hold down the trigger. If you were within their effective range, you win, if you weren't, you lost. Thats not compelling gameplay.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that dualing was what made them remove plasma-stun. Also, it created the half-weapon issue.

stephen08

Steelyuhas said:

The problem was that the SMG's range was so small and that it could be dual-wielded thus people would do that instead of use melees or grenades. The AR at least had a reasonable range and freed you up to use melees and grenades.

I don't love either, but the AR starts in 3 were definitely a step forward from the SMG starts in 2.

EDIT: Looks like some of you guys took offense to the rose tinted glasses quip. Sorry if that's the case, but H2 is still the worst Halo game.

BigShow36

Steelyuhas said:

Because Bungie has no clue about real balance for Halo.

Devolution said:
Why bother engaging in a discussion if you're just going to walk in, say something you know is going to piss people off, and basically admit you haven't been paying attention to anything prior. It's basically trolling.

So because a lot of people here like Halo 2 I'm not allowed to come in and say it sucks? I don't need to pay attention to the last few pages to know that.

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:
The problem was that the SMG's range was so small and that it could be dual-wielded thus people would do that instead of use melees or grenades. The AR at least had a reasonable range and freed you up to use melees and grenades.

I don't love either, but the AR starts in 3 were definitely a step forward from the SMG starts in 2.

EDIT: Looks like some of you guys took offense to the rose tinted glasses quip. Sorry if that's the case, but H2 is still the worst Halo game.
Its cool I understand that some people just didn't like Halo 2 a lot but that rose tinted glasses argument really is not a good argument at all.

(also come on you cant even think Halo 2 is worse than Reach even if you hated 2)

BigShow36

reggie said:
It never played like that at all. Dual wielding had its advantages as well as its disadvantages.

The advantage was its power at close range. The disadvantage was its limited range. Thats it. It's not some complex enigma that requires deep thought to use effectively. If you had a single weapon that could be dual wielded, you always wanted to pick up another weapon for it. There was never any reason to not dual wield a dual-wieldable weapon.

BigShow36 said:
The advantage was its power at close range. The disadvantage was its limited range. Thats it. It's not some complex enigma that requires deep thought to use effectively. If you had a single weapon that could be dual weilded, you always wanted to pick up another weapon for it. There was never any reason to not dual weild a dual-weildable weapon.
Grenades? Noob combo? I will agree that I didn't like dual-wielding from the start, and was disappointed that it pretty much gave rise to the "BR is OP" camp because it effectively neutered a whole slew of weaponry to let you use two of them at once.

Striker

BigShow36 said:
The problem with duals wasn't their functionality, it was how stupidly easy they were. Just pick up two weapons and literally hold down the trigger. If you were within their effective range, you win, if you weren't, you lost. Thats not compelling gameplay.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that dualing was what made them remove plasma-stun. Also, it created the half-weapon issue.
What's been an issue since not spawning with a dual weapon was giving out users an AR, which it wasn't an overly strong weapon in Halo 1, still was formidable. I will honestly admit I rather spawn with an SMG in Burial Mounds or Zanzibar than spawn than an AR. Neither were good weapons in intermediate distances, only up close. That was their purpose. Whether or not that's a preferable weapon is up to one's opinion. I personally think it's something in similar stance to Reach's Pistol. But that in itself is limited by its clip and overall mag size.

Devolution said:
Am I remembering that right? You nade, you drop your dual? Or was it just melee?
Yes, but why throw grenades at players if you have two in your hands? Meleeling worked fine after some shots into a player. Never was brought down by any lapsed time of the dropped weapon.

BigShow36 said:
So because a lot of people here like Halo 2 I'm not allowed to come in and say it sucks? I don't need to pay attention to the last few pages to know that.

Just bring up problems you had with it and people are more inclined to respond with points rather than insults. Have you been reading my posts about 2? They're not really complimentary right now and no one is frothing at the mouth with me.

stephen08

wwm0nkey said:
Its cool I understand that some people just didn't like Halo 2 a lot but that rose tinted glasses argument really is not a good argument at all.

(also come on you cant even think Halo 2 is worse than Reach even if you hated 2)

Reach is the best Halo MP game maps notwithstanding. It has it's flaws just like every other game in the series but they are getting overblown.

Striker said:
Yes, but why throw grenades at players if you have two in your hands? Meleeling worked fine after some shots into a player. Never was brought down by any lapsed time of the dropped weapon.

Nades could typically be thrown farther than the dual is capable of reaching. Have you naded an oncoming player before? Or thrown them in a corner? Why would I want to drop a weapon to do so? Meleeing would usually have to be last, with stuff like the plasma rifle in CE it was much more intuitive to melee, fire, melee for instance because of its stunning capabilities. In 2 you lost a lot of that movement diversity. That's what I'm getting at. And I think that's what bigshow is trying to get at as well.

I don't consider it gamebreaking but for people who really liked CE, I can see where the change up in h2 pissed them off.

wwm0nkey

stephen08 said:
Reach is the best Halo MP game maps notwithstanding. It has it's flaws just like every other game in the series but they are getting overblown.
Every Halo game till ODST was good. Ive lost my interest with Reach very very quickly. I do not think any of the flaws are being overblown, the flaws in Reach are major and are kind of killing the fun.

Top Bottom