• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez said:
It's not that cut and dry, you have to be pretty dense to not notice how much cleaner the netcode is in Reach compared to 3. I play Reach semi regular because I have nothing else to play at the moment, and the alternatives are even worse, which speaks to how sad the rest of the industry is I guess. I will be taking a nice vacation on the 20th though.
definitely this. Also, it takes forever to get games in Halo 3 now. I've even gone back to black ops right now, which is still broken but at least I can do well by myself

stephen08 said:
Yeah that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone their own fun. Ultimately though, it is overblown. If it wasn't, these people who identify Reach as the worst Halo would be off playing Halo 3 which is still very much functional. But they don't. They complain about Reach and play it night after night.

So wrong, people dont play Halo 3 because of low playlist populations/ laggy games/ and playlists being left in a pretty bad state.

Im on Halo 3 right now but not everyone that does see Reach's flaws has gone back, and they have good reason to avoid going back. Halo 3 is amazing under the right circumstances, but with such low playlist pools its not as much fun anymore.

Ramirez

bobs99 ... said:
So wrong, people dont play Halo 3 because of low playlist populations/ laggy games/ and playlists being left in a pretty bad state.

Im on Halo 3 right now but not everyone that does see Reach's flaws has gone back, and they have good reason to avoid going back. Halo 3 is amazing under the right circumstances, but with such low playlist pools its not as much fun anymore.

Remember when Bungie said they were going to scale back the Halo 3 playlists before Reach launched?

lol

We played it about a week ago and the first game to pop up was Team Duals on Snowbound, I mean really? At least in Reach there are 2-3 playlists where I am guaranteed to start with an awesome weapon.

Striker

Letters said:
what no

Reach wishes it could have Isolation, Snowbound, Epitaph or Orbital.
Those were maps absolute trash. Some maps in Reach are junk, but let's not act like H3 had ton of gems.

feel

KidA Seven said:
Jesus... careful there. I would rather have a belly full of white dog crap over that.
Savor every drop.
2rokgwp.jpg

Ramirez

Striker said:
Those were maps absolute trash. Some maps in Reach are junk, but let's not act like H3 had ton of gems.

By the end of its DLC it did have a ton of great maps. Two DLCs out and Reach is still awful.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
Stephen is that guy always camping top gold with sword/shotgun on Swordbase, the only way one could really enjoy that map.

Not really, if I have Sword/Shotgun I am usually moving around the level. I rarely ever camp out lifts. It's really not a good strategy if the team you are playing against is even slightly coordinated.

Ramirez said:
It's not that cut and dry, you have to be pretty dense to not notice how much cleaner the netcode is in Reach compared to 3. I play Reach semi regular because I have nothing else to play at the moment, and the alternatives are even worse, which speaks to how sad the rest of the industry is I guess. I will be taking a nice vacation on the 20th though.
So if the benefits of Reach outweigh the flaws of it moreso than the benefits and flaws of 3...then that would mean......

Booshka

stephen08 said:
Not really, if I have Sword/Shotgun I am usually moving around the level. I rarely ever camp out lifts. It's really not a good strategy if the team you are playing against is even slightly coordinated.

So if the benefits of Reach outweigh the flaws of it moreso than the benefits and flaws of 3...then that would mean......
That Halo 3 is almost 4 years old with no support, while Reach is only 1 year old with a lot of support.

Edit: Also, Ram, what happened to you last night when we were searching in MM, you lag out then just turn off your xbox or something?

Karl2177

stephen08 said:
Halo 3 doesn't always work, but it's fun when it does. Reach usually works, but it isn't fun. Sadly, most of us play on the reliability of Reach.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:

Please do tell what the ideal setup is on Swordbase if it's not to have people camping Gold/Red lifts. If your team control Shotgun/Sword you're going to win 90% of the time. The only action on Swordbase is on the 3rd floor, such a terrible map.

I think Halo 3's gameplay as a whole is better than Reach, however things like netcode and playlist management are HUGE, and they're both very bad in Halo 3. Like I said, at least in Reach I can spawn with a DMR all the time if I pick the right playlist.

Believe me when I say that if the TU is not enjoyable then I'll be done with Halo until 4 hits, far too many better games coming out this Fall to have to put up with the mediocrity of Reach.

Yea Booshka, my router reset again, and I just went to bed. I need to get a new router, mine is basically dead I think.

Hey You

God we need something 343i before HaloGaf explodes.

To add fuel to the fire, I actually really enjoy Sword Base and Anchor 9. No idea why, I just really like them.

Oh and Oribital (its forged variant) was pretty fun for Living Dead as well.

I've played more 3 MM in the last few months than Reach. All the little papercuts of Reach's gameplay ended up becoming gushing wounds that I couldn't stand anymore. It's like the entirety of the design to it is based on denial. Denial of fun.

That said, I can't wait for the TU to hit. At least then even if they bungle™ the matchmaking settings, I can at least get some customs going on that I imagine will be actually good.

stephen08 said:
Yeah that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone their own fun. Ultimately though, it is overblown. If it wasn't, these people who identify Reach as the worst Halo would be off playing Halo 3 which is still very much functional. But they don't. They complain about Reach and play it night after night.

I can see this argument but at the same time, I can find fun in the game as much as I whine and moan about it here. Playing with halogaf has meant a lot to me. At some point I started playing more for the social aspect with various people of this community more than the game itself. Which isn't bad, it's awesome. But at the same time, there is so much stuff that happens in reach that makes me sigh.

And honestly last time I went back to 3 it played better but I was lagging all over the place.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
Please do tell what the ideal setup is on Swordbase if it's not to have people camping Gold/Red lifts. If your team control Shotgun/Sword you're going to win 90% of the time. The only action on Swordbase is on the 3rd floor, such a terrible map.

Yeah I guess if you insist on winning by the maximum possible difference. When my friends and I play we could camp lifts and force people to fight us on the third floor but that's not as much fun as just playing and doing what you want.

Dax01 said:
Given that everyone here seemed to be dissatisfied with Reach customs last week, would everyone be down for some Halo 3 customs on Saturday?

I would actually love this. I remember playing an amazing hour long CTF flag game on the Pit in Halo 3 Gaf customs, even though it turned into an endurance test I had so much fun in it. That was a fairly competitive game and even non competitive Gaffers seemed to have a good time.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
Yeah I guess if you insist on winning by the maximum possible difference. When my friends and I play we could camp lifts and force people to fight us on the third floor but that's not as much fun as just playing and doing what you want.

If I don't intend on winning, then why am I playing?

cR!

Another thing about Halo 3 is that its best days are behind it, it's time has passed. Same reason I think CoD: MW was the best one, but I'm not going to go back and play it because it's done for now, people moved on. The experiences of today would not be the same you had back when it was fresh.

Gui_PT said:
Yes please.
bobs99 ... said:
I would actually love this. I remember playing an amazing hour long CTF flag game on the Pit in Halo 3 Gaf customs, even though it turned into an endurance test I had so much fun in it. That was a fairly competitive game and even non competitive Gaffers seemed to have a good time.
If enough people seem interested, I'll complete a set of maps to play on.

Dax01 said:
Given that everyone here seemed to be dissatisfied with Reach customs last week, would everyone be down for some Halo 3 customs on Saturday?
I'm so down you have no idea

Devolution said:
I can see this argument but at the same time, I can find fun in the game as much as I whine and moan about it here. Playing with halogaf has meant a lot to me. At some point I started playing more for the social aspect with various people of this community more than the game itself. Which isn't bad, it's awesome. But at the same time, there is so much stuff that happens in reach that makes me sigh.

And honestly last time I went back to 3 it played better but I was lagging all over the place.
exactly. I don't play Reach to play Reach. I play Reach to play with HaloGaf.

stephen08 said:

Playing competitively should be intuitive with map design, weapon choices, spawning etc. If the game inspires camping, that's a problem with the design. If the game makes it too easy to control an area with skewed spawning, that's a problem with the design. If the game doesn't balance out the weapons, that's a problem with the design.

One can have fun and desire a more competitive well thought out game. They are not mutually exclusive.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When everyone sees the jaggies in combination with the lesser animation yet more glorious lighting and water of Halo 3 there brain will fart.

Sometimes when I read GAF I get this sinking really depressing feeling that all of you have trophy cabinets full of little ass short participation trophies and not a single one that says #1.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Sometimes when I read GAF I get this sinking really depressing feeling that all of you have trophy cabinets full of little ass short participation trophies and not a single one that says #1.
:lol :lol

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
One can have fun and desire a more competitive well thought out game. They are not mutually exclusive.

This is me. I play Reach to play Reach. I have a lot of fucking fun. I do not agree with many of the design decisions, crappy maps, etc, but I still have fun when I play and its always beckoning me for more. That said, I want the TU to restore some of what Reach lost and I hope 4 is a more classic approach.

I think those here that claim to hate Reach but still play it are not being truthful. There is no way you'd still play it without getting some enjoyment from it, despite playing with Halogaf. I have a helluva lot more fun playing with you guys, but its also due to the game itself and not playing with shitheads that ruin it for me. If you guys really hated Reach you would have quit playing like bobs and letters. I don't disagree with you guys, but the hate seems to be growing just because its cool to hate Reach or something.

When the TU drops, I think I'll finally play Halo. I think it's been longer than a year since I actually played a string of games. Can't wait to start donging and playing MLG.

I don't think staying up till 4 A.M. on 3 saterday nights in a row will be very good for my school results, but perhaps we can do some euro customs on Halo 3 before the actuall customs start?

wwm0nkey

KidA Seven said:
When the TU drops, I think I'll finally play Halo. I think it's been longer than a year since I actually played a string of games. Can't wait to start donging and playing MLG.
Speaking of Title Update, anyone want to make a thread in Gaming side about the Title Update and beta hoppers?

Plywood said:
When everyone sees the jaggies in combination with the lesser animation yet more glorious lighting and water of Halo 3 there brain will fart.
The visor reflections in Halo 3 did look way better than in Reach.

Gui_PT

Blue Ninja said:
One of the things I love about the level "Halo" is the fact that all the level's skyboxes are loaded from the start, and they're pretty easy to find. :lol

Yes, this is where all cutscenes take place. Kind of disappointing at first, huh? :lol

Somehow, though, the ones from the start of the level are proving a lot more elusive than the ones from the ending.

Isn't this how cutscenes are usually done?

The game I worked on did exactly the same thing.

Dax01 said:
If enough people seem interested, I'll complete a set of maps to play on.

Eww, Reach already has enough of that. If we ever did Halo 3 customs it should be a fly through of all the classic competitive and non competitive modes on H3 maps.

Lol I dont understand, I have done my fair share of donging on Reach. That doesnt make it any more fun.

Tha Robbertster said:
I don't think staying up till 4 A.M. on 3 saterday nights in a row will be very good for my school results, but perhaps we can do some euro customs on Halo 3 before the actuall customs start?

This sounds great!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
The visor reflections in Halo 3 did look way better than in Reach.
I remember they kept promising real visor reflections and all we keep getting is a picture of the map.

Plywood said:
I remember they kept promising real visor reflections and all we keep getting is a picture of the map.
Reflection was probably the wrong word. The way the visors shine and glisten in Halo 3 looks way better than how dull and flat they look in Reach.

bobs99 ... said:
Eww, Reach already has enough of that. If we ever did Halo 3 customs it should be a fly through of all the classic competitive and non competitive modes on H3 maps.
lol. What, are you expecting me to make six or seven forge maps by Saturday? I meant tweak existing maps, like replacing the laser with rockets on Valhalla, Avalanche, and Standoff.

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
Here's a good line up
CTF The Pit
TS Valhalla
TS The Pit
CTF Valhalla

repeat

EDIT:
Barrow Roll said:
Reflection was probably the wrong word. The way the visors shine and glisten in Halo 3 looks way better than how dull and flat they look in Reach.
completely agree

senador said:
This is me. I play Reach to play Reach. I have a lot of fucking fun. I do not agree with many of the design decisions, crappy maps, etc, but I still have fun when I play and its always beckoning me for more. That said, I want the TU to restore some of what Reach lost and I hope 4 is a more classic approach.

I think those here that claim to hate Reach but still play it are not being truthful. There is no way you'd still play it without getting some enjoyment from it, despite playing with Halogaf. I have a helluva lot more fun playing with you guys, but its also due to the game itself and not playing with shitheads that ruin it for me. If you guys really hated Reach you would have quit playing like bobs and letters. I don't disagree with you guys, but the hate seems to be growing just because its cool to hate Reach or something.

Every once and a while I get a game that is a nice tug of war between another team. It's super rare though. My recent big issue with Reach beyond all others, even maps, is most of my matches are either playing pro caliber people or playing much less skilled players.

Even if the maps were perfect, I'd be bored to tears by the lack of genuine competitive play. I don't think someone should have to only play arena or mlg for this. I think it should be across the board. And frankly I find those two much too serious. I'm not talking pro-gaming here, I'm talking a tug of war between similar skilled people. I ran into it in 2 and 3 so much more often.

I'm not sure if it's trueskill, too many playlists, a population drop across the board, or a combination of the three but I'd really like to see a return or something that brings back fighting people of similar skill. And it happens in large playlists too, so don't give that, you run in too small of a population crap. I still had less of a problem in 2/3. If that means longer times to find a match, DO IT. I would consider longer MM times a fine compromise if it meant an overall better competitive match.

Dax01 said:
lol. What, are you expecting me to make six or seven forge maps by Saturday? I meant tweak existing maps, like replacing the laser with rockets on Valhalla, Avalanche, and Standoff.

Haha fair enough. I didnt think that through, I just had horror flashbacks to Sandbox and Foundry. God some of those maps where bad. :p

CTF Pit has to happen. :p

Risen

stephen08 said:
You are the EXACT kind of jerk I put on my ignore list. Considering I despise CoD, the shooter which everyone is trying to both emulate and one-up you could also not be more wrong.

I look forward to never being forced to read your tripe again.

Yes, that's true. It still doesn't stop me from having fun on Swordbase every time I play it.

Not begrudging your opinion in the game in any way, just poking fun... apparently the humor in my post was lost on you.

Your opinions on Reach are exactly why we have Reach today rather than an extension of Halo that looks more like CE. It's a viewpoint shared by the developers themselves. Regardless of your dislike of the CoD series, it has undergone much the same progression as Reach. I don't think it's so much an emulation as an attempt to cater to that which the masses want.

Skill is increasingly less important due to game mechanics. There are those who enjoy that progression and that's cool, they are the one's the games are made for as they are the largest percentage of the audience.

Top Bottom